Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drambo by BeepStreet released

Comments

• Well, I did a hard reboot, updated AUM, and it still didn't show as an AU MIDI processor. So then I completely deleted Drambo and did a fresh download (not an update). That did the trick. That's the second time that has happened to me--where an update didn't actually update but deleting the app and starting with a fresh download worked. Hmph.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Well, I did a hard reboot, updated AUM, and it still didn't show as an AU MIDI processor. So then I completely deleted Drambo and did a fresh download (not an update). That did the trick. That's the second time that has happened to me--where an update didn't actually update but deleting the app and starting with a fresh download worked. Hmph.

That's strange. Were/are you subscribed to a Drambo beta? That could affect updating.

• @uncledave said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Well, I did a hard reboot, updated AUM, and it still didn't show as an AU MIDI processor. So then I completely deleted Drambo and did a fresh download (not an update). That did the trick. That's the second time that has happened to me--where an update didn't actually update but deleting the app and starting with a fresh download worked. Hmph.

That's strange. Were/are you subscribed to a Drambo beta? That could affect updating.

Nope, not involved in beta at all.

• @giku_beepstreet said:

@cian said:
    I wish you could mess with the curves on the ADSR/ADR etc envelopes. For a groovebox so focused on drums it's odd it doesn't give more flexibility on that as it can make such a difference to the sound.

We have modulatable Env flex (vactrol like with modulatable shape), Env AD mod and Graphic envelope. What else do we need? :) Whats so limiting?

Well I do use the Graphic envelope, it's just kind of inefficient.

Can you chain Env flex units to build an ADSR? If I could work out how to do that I'd stop complaining, I promise...

• @giku_beepstreet said:

@cian said:
    I wish you could mess with the curves on the ADSR/ADR etc envelopes. For a groovebox so focused on drums it's odd it doesn't give more flexibility on that as it can make such a difference to the sound.

We have modulatable Env flex (vactrol like with modulatable shape), Env AD mod and Graphic envelope. What else do we need? :) Whats so limiting?

The only little missing things in the Graphic Env are:

• Retrigger mode
    • Sustain and release points
  • @lukesleepwalker said:

I've had this kind of very strange behavior a few times with different apps since iOS 11.

• @rs2000 said:

@giku_beepstreet said:

@cian said:

• Retrigger mode

Actually the big thing that's missing is parametric curves. I fake curves using lines (and the interface for this is excellent), but I would love to be able to create a curve and bend it.

• edited October 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @cian said:

@rs2000 said:

@giku_beepstreet said:

@cian said:

• Retrigger mode

Actually the big thing that's missing is parametric curves. I fake curves using lines (and the interface for this is excellent), but I would love to be able to create a curve and bend it.

You can easily draw curves but you can't draw functionality. Approximating curves by a few line segments works very well in practice.

• I wanted to see how Drambo behaves inside a BM3 bank, and whether BM3 macros could be configured for some Drambo targets. Sadly, Drambo doesn't expose any AU parameters in BM3, AUM etc. Has this been discussed before? Could there be some generic AU parameters available (similar to how Mozaic does it), and what about e.g. the scene morph slider?

• Drambo will host AudioUnits soon.

• eeeh.. Drambo is modular... it depends on what you build in it, there are no "global" parameters

• @rs2000 said:

You can easily draw curves but you can't draw functionality. Approximating curves by a few line segments works very well in practice.

I would disagree. If you know the exact shape then it's reasonably easy to get it right. If you like to play with the curve (something I do a lot, as it makes a huge difference to the sound) it's kind of a pain.

The envelopes in Nanostudio are very good.

• @bleep said:
    I wanted to see how Drambo behaves inside a BM3 bank, and whether BM3 macros could be configured for some Drambo targets. Sadly, Drambo doesn't expose any AU parameters in BM3, AUM etc. Has this been discussed before? Could there be some generic AU parameters available (similar to how Mozaic does it), and what about e.g. the scene morph slider?

No AU params but full MIDI control, including scene pads and morph slider. Use these instead.

• @cian I agree that curve shapes are nice to have but not as important as ENV retrigger and sustain+release phases.

• edited October 2020

Ok, full MIDI control is good (haven't studied it yet). Not quite sure whether a BM3 macro could be assigned, though. I guess I would need a midi app in-between, one which also exposes some AU parameters.

@noob I guess one could allow for a small set of global parameters to act as exposed AU parameters (if the developer wishes so). Mozaic also depends on what you build and script, but there you have "Knob 1", "Knob 2", "Pad 1" etc. available as AU parameters (even if you don't use pad 1 in your script).

• @giku_beepstreet said:
    Drambo will host AudioUnits soon.

Woohoo 🙌

• @rs2000 said:
    @cian I agree that curve shapes are nice to have but not as important as ENV retrigger and sustain+release phases.

Fair enough

• @giku_beepstreet said:

Whoa great! I thought that we were still in proof-of-concept territory

• I feel as a corrective to my moaning above that @giku_beepstreet is constantly improving the app, I use it all the time and I understand there are only so many hours in the day. I just want it to be better... :smile:

• @giku_beepstreet said:

🤤

• Is there a way for Drambo to share the AUM/AudioShare folder?

• @jolico said:
    Is there a way for Drambo to share the AUM/AudioShare folder?

You mean via its WebDAV interface?

• @rs2000 said:

@jolico said:

I mean directly from the sampler. Just select a file from any folder on the device instead of importing.

• @bcrichards said:
    @RajahP i think your question was in regards to midi processor AudioUnit. This is for the app itself, so it can now be added to a DAW as a MIDI processor Audio unit. For some hosts/DAWs it’s not a real change, but there were less flexible hosts that could not take advantage of the midi processing aspects of Drambo due to there not being a dedicated MIDI audio unit (I think).

Actual Audio Unit hosting is planned for the future though.

Ok... Thanks..

• @jolico said:

@rs2000 said:

@jolico said:

I mean directly from the sampler. Just select a file from any folder on the device instead of importing.

Sure, that's exactly what "Import" does.

• @rs2000 said:

@jolico said:

@rs2000 said:

@jolico said:

So, if you “import” a file or folder, you are just creating a link to the file or folder and not actually copying everything into the Drambo folder?
    No duplicate files all over the device?

• @jolico said:

@rs2000 said:

@jolico said:

@rs2000 said:

@jolico said:

So, if you “import” a file or folder, you are just creating a link to the file or folder and not actually copying everything into the Drambo folder?

OK, now I get your point. Only @giku_beepstreet can answer that.

• edited October 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wimwim
    edited October 2020

@Max23 said:

@rs2000 said:

@jolico said:

@rs2000 said:

@jolico said:

@rs2000 said:

@jolico said:

OK, now I get your point. Only @giku_beepstreet can answer that.

Actually samples are copied into the drambo folder,
    People always mess with their files, this prevents you from seeing „missing samples“ here in case you moved/deleted the original ...
    It’s a compromise.
    Better double files than missing samples.
    In times of up to 1TB storage on idevices this isn’t really a problem anymore.

You may be mistaken on this point from the point of view of the operating system. The iOS file system doesn't usually make a physical copy of a file unless it's changed from the original. Instead it "links" to the file. Even though to the app it seems like an individual copy, it's just a pointer to the original.

(In fact, it's even better than that: if a file is copied, then one is changed, there's still only one copy, only the changes between the two are stored - again, transparently.)

This discussion has been closed.