Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

App to convert QWERTY keyboard into midi controller?

Is there an App that routes/interprets QWERTY keyboards into a midi input device for apps? It’d be really cool to have a qwerty keyboard be able to simulate a playable keyboard as well as have playhead control via a spacebar etc being able to be assigned the midi parameter. Does something like this exist? If not, is it possible to make?

I could see this being a hit for people who have iPad keyboard cases etc

Comments

• edited October 2020

https://apps.apple.com/app/sidecar-midi-controller/id1073305840?l=en

this one? Any1 used it plz share here kinda interested

• edited October 2020

It's functional, but iOS won't register QWERTY key releases so you either have to use percussive patches that fade out on their own or press the spacebar to release. They mention it on the product page "Note that QWERTY keyboards only send "key press" information to your iPad -- to silence a sounding note, you simply tap the space bar."

• It looks like it needs to be in slide over or split screen. So if you were imagining it running in the background I don't think that would work, as typing keyboards respond to whatever app is in the foreground.

That may not be an issue for you though. Group the Loop can assign many of its functions to a bluetooth keyboard, and I bought one for this, but soon realised that it wouldn't work if AUM was in the foreground. So I do use GTL in slide over mode sometimes. Even though GTL appears to always be in foreground, if I touch the AUM interface the keyboard stops responding, and I have to touch the GTL interface again before it will respond to keyboard commands.

So that's something to be aware of. It's how the OS works, so I think this app would be the same.

• I don’t know why you would want to do that when you have on screen keyboard. I use to have that capability with my pc way back. Tried it and hated it. QWERTY keyboard are such a awkward layout to input note.

• S_nV_x also does this

• edited October 2020

@ecou said:
    I don’t know why you would want to do that when you have on screen keyboard. I use to have that capability with my pc way back. Tried it and hated it. QWERTY keyboard are such a awkward layout to input note.

Well I’d like to have the choice to do so. I’ve used this in logic years back on the road, on laptops, with no external controllers at my fingertips, and it was a godsend at the time. You can’t use the on screen keyboard comfortably with a Apple magic keyboard case, due to angle the case sits at, so it’d be cool to actually be able to utilize the keys in a DAW if they’re all I’ve got.

Also, being able to assign the spacebar to the playhead via midi would allow apps that don’t recognize QWERTY keyboards, but recognize midi, to control the play/stop/rec. This would give us spacebar start and stop, which would be nice.

• @mjcouche said:
    S_nV_x also does this

I can’t seem to find this, would you happen to have a link?

• edited October 2020

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@mjcouche said:
    S_nV_x also does this

I can’t seem to find this, would you happen to have a link?

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/sunvox/id324462544

• @AudioGus

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28283/using-qwerty-keyboard-for-midi-input-any-ideas

Third comment down. Sorry don’t know how to do comment linking.

Then if you set up midi you can point to other synths.

• @mjcouche said:
    @AudioGus

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28283/using-qwerty-keyboard-for-midi-input-any-ideas

Thanks

So do you need to be using sunvox Specifically for these abilities or can it route the midi to a DAW for control inside of it for other instruments/midi playhead control control of DAW?

• @ipadbeatmaking I can’t speak to playhead control but I believe you can have the other synths open to drive the instrument/ tweak to your heart’s content.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@ecou said:
    I don’t know why you would want to do that when you have on screen keyboard. I use to have that capability with my pc way back. Tried it and hated it. QWERTY keyboard are such a awkward layout to input note.

I’ve used this in logic years back on the road, on laptops...

Yeh it's quite handy. I'd often use this when not in full 'music mode', sitting in the living room messing with synths in Mainstage. it works really well. It can better or worse than using an onscreen keyboard, depending on what you're trying to do. And even with such a limited thing as a typing keyboard, your fingers can rest on the notes before pressing them. I think the lack of that is the worst thing about touch screen inputting.

• Exactly! What’s not to love about having this option at your convenience

@SimonSomeone said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@ecou said:

I’ve used this in logic years back on the road, on laptops...

Yeh it's quite handy. I'd often use this when not in full 'music mode', sitting in the living room messing with synths in Mainstage. it works really well. It can better or worse than using an onscreen keyboard, depending on what you're trying to do. And even with such a limited thing as a typing keyboard, your fingers can rest on the notes before pressing them. I think the lack of that is the worst thing about touch screen inputting.

• @noob said:
    https://apps.apple.com/app/sidecar-midi-controller/id1073305840?l=en

this one? Any1 used it plz share here kinda interested

Yup but never used it. I only have the mini Version that’s for iPhone and no longer on the App Store

• Just a Bluetooth keyboard and you got an inexpensive, portable, midi controller setup with your iPad...

• wimwim
    edited October 2020

Until iOS 13.4, there was no way to know when a keyboard key is released. This made it pretty impractical for triggering notes as an app would have to assume a constant length note whenever a key was pressed.

Now there is a way to detect a key-up event, so the door is open to using typing keyboards. However app builders need to build in support for that. As most had no support whatever for the typing keyboard, that's not a trivial thing. On top of that, it isn't backward-compatible, so apps that run on older OS's must deal with both cases.

I think we'll start to see support for typing keyboards creeping slowly in, but it will be app-by-app and not all apps will support it.

Someone could write a nifty Standalone/AUv3 midi app though, that could work with anything. If they made it with configurable midi messages per key, it would be fabulous.

Or someone like @SevenSystems or @ka010 could add it to their keyboard controller offerings. (hint, hint)

Until then, Sidecar Midi Controller is the only option, I believe. I never use it - just doesn't fit my workflow. It has to be running in slide-over mode all the time and has limited functionality.

• edited October 2020

so.. to wrap it up Sidecar (4years since last update, smells like abandonware) and then..nothing..yet ..well looks like a good opportunity for devs here

• edited October 2020

@noob Sidecar is pretty complete. You have to use it in slide over mode so it always stays on top. Pretty handy if you want it but to be honest you only get 2 octaves and I’d rather use the touch screen for, well, a touch screen. I get wanting to use it for mapping other CCs etc.

• edited October 2020

right, funny as this "thing" been around since the Jura period on desktops.. @mjcouche thnx guess its not a droid for me then (hassle with slide over n cht)

• @wim said:
    Until iOS 13.4, there was no way to know when a keyboard key is released. This made it pretty impractical for triggering notes as an app would have to assume a constant length note whenever a key was pressed.

Now there is a way to detect a key-up event, so the door is open to using typing keyboards. However app builders need to build in support for that. As most had no support whatever for the typing keyboard, that's not a trivial thing. On top of that, it isn't backward-compatible, so apps that run on older OS's must deal with both cases.

I think we'll start to see support for typing keyboards creeping slowly in, but it will be app-by-app and not all apps will support it.

Someone could write a nifty Standalone/AUv3 midi app though, that could work with anything. If they made it with configurable midi messages per key, it would be fabulous.

Or someone like @SevenSystems or @ka010 could add it to their keyboard controller offerings. (hint, hint)

Until then, Sidecar Midi Controller is the only option, I believe. I never use it - just doesn't fit my workflow. It has to be running in slide-over mode all the time and has limited functionality.

Thanks for that great insight! Yes developers, please give us this 🙏

• Moog Model 15 supports this natively. Have fun.

• @mjcouche said:
    @AudioGus

For info: if you tap/hold on the date or time of a post, you can copy a link to that specific post.

• Thanks @uncledave . I’ve got two uncles named Dave - which one are you?

• @mjcouche said:
    Thanks @uncledave . I’ve got two uncles named Dave - which one are you?

The bald one. Homer Simpson with a mullet only I don't bother with any combing tricks.
    Homer is rather vain. And I haven't shaved in weeks.

• @SevenSystems
    Were you here?
    (:

• @_smund said:
    @SevenSystems
    Were you here?
    (:

Here? What's that? 😬

• Update: Sidecar now does support Bluetooth keyboard key release! 🎉

• Any good hotkeys for AUM?

• Add FL Studio Mobile to the list of QWERTY-controllable apps/synths.