Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Great Hunt for Virtual Guitar Tone - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

1235»

Comments

• @SNystrom said:
    Ah yes, the world famous Headley Grange sound!

A cavernous hallway with two mics hung from the second floor. Not even a mic on the kick drum. EPIC!

“distance equals depth”

"The drums had to breathe.”

I’m sure Bonham’s walloping style and precision didn’t hurt either!

• You know, if you listen closely, he's actually playing somewhat restrained — at least for him.

More details about the session here:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/when-the-levee-breaks-how-jimmy-page-recorded-john-bonhams-epic-drum-part.html/

• @espiegel123 said:
    FWIW, I am finding that running a front and rear IR in series works quite well. I run the amp into the “front” IR at 100% wet. I put the rear IR after that and run it at about 20% and find that it sounds as good as running them in parallel and mixing them — in addition to its being more convenient in AUM.

There area few people on the forum that provide great value and save me a lot of grief. This is a really helpful tip. We should make a list if helpful tips on the Wiki... wait they (some of the wise guys) already did:

https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=forum_gold

• So I bit the bullet and bought the $29 OwnHammer bundle, holy smokes so many files to choose from!

I've only got a regular mono guitar with the Nembrini amps and THAFKNAR. I know in the video you recommended the 96kHz 200 ms files, which is fine, but did you choose mono or stereo?

• edited October 2020

@fprintf said:
    So I bit the bullet and bought the $29 OwnHammer bundle, holy smokes so many files to choose from!

I've only got a regular mono guitar with the Nembrini amps and THAFKNAR. I know in the video you recommended the 96kHz 200 ms files, which is fine, but did you choose mono or stereo?

200ms mono files is the industry standard specifically for guitar cabinet IRs. 500ms stereo IRs capture more of the room, and it’s not really the same as one mono source mic capturing the guitar cabinet up close, which is what you want. I find that for clean amps 200/500 sound the same, and for distorted amps 500 actually sounds worse, kind of bloated and muddier. Can’t go wrong with 200ms mono.

Also, here’s the email I received directly from Ownhammer customer support regarding sample rates:

“As far as sample rates go, you must always use the sample rate you are using in your recording project, or however your hardware is set up. If you are recording in 44.1 you should use the 44.1 files. If you are recording in 96k, or are using hardware that uses 96k, you would use the 96k files.”

So they don’t recommend using 96k IRs unless you’re actually working in 96K. Some articles claim mismatched IR sample rate doesn’t sound any different, while others say they notice a tiny pitch frequency change.

And here’s what they said about the files labeled “right channel”...

“There are separate dual mono files for people who cannot use true stereo technology in their equipment, where IRs loaded are summed to mono no matter what. So they're only useful to you if you are in that situation.”

Hope this helps. As a start I’d recommend you choose a sample rate to work in, then go to those sample rate folders in each cabinet file in your rEvolution bundle and find the “Summary” folders in each, Zip all the Summary folders together, and move that zip file into the Thafknar folder in your files app. Then you can unzip that folder inside Thafknar app by long pressing on it, and thus you will have the few hundred summary IRs which are the greatest hits, rather than thousands of engineer specific IRs you’ll never use...

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

Hope this helps. As a start I’d recommend you choose a sample rate to work in, then go to those sample rate folders in each cabinet file in your rEvolution bundle and find the “Summary” folders in each, Zip all the Summary folders together, and move that zip file into the Thafknar folder in your files app. Then you can unzip that folder inside Thafknar app by long pressing on it, and thus you will have the few hundred summary IRs which are the greatest hits, rather than thousands of engineer specific IRs you’ll never use...

This was really helpful, thank you so much for the guidance on getting started. I have hearing problems anyway so doubt if I'll notice the difference in sample rates, so I just picked 48kHz because it was in the middle and a nice round number. :smile: