Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reasons why Nanostudio 2 is AWESOME - As told by #SEONN

Hey everyone,

Since we have a love-hate relationship with the Nanostudio 2, I thought I’d share my views on why Nanostudio 2 is awesome.

But since I’m no longer Samflash3, I won’t write a long boring essay about it (like I’m doing right now :wink: ). I’ll just post some videos I’ve done using it.

Using Nanostudio 2 to control Gadget 2
">

Making an EDM song using Nanostudio 2 (and Synthmaster One)

">

Stay tuned to this thread as I explore more ways to use Nanostudio 2

Comments

• It’ll be awesome when it’s finished (audio tracks)

• The most recent 10 or so tracks are some more examples of why NS2 is awesome.

http://soundcloud.com/jwmmakerofmusic

• @MrSmileZ said:
    It’ll be awesome when it’s finished (audio tracks)

and it will midi sync to other tools :D It's still awesome as it is

• @bresk said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    It’ll be awesome when it’s finished (audio tracks)

Yeah, I was pretty bummed by this too, initially. But I found NS2 to be the most, solid, predictable, reliable and bug-free DAW app, for MIDI (except clock) from my iOS DAW experiences. Also Slate and Obsidian are fantastic, and somewhat offset the lack of audio-tracks whinge. Seems efficient on CPU also.

To me, it’s a very complete app, in that everything it was designed to do, it does better and, significantly, is more reliable, robust and bug-free than most. I say NS2 is pretty darn awesome, too. Kudos to Blip.

• REASON #2: Nanostudio 2 works with other inter app audio apps
    Adding to this list, here’s another “Reason Compact” of why Nanostudio 2 is awesome.
    ">

• edited September 2020

This whole 14 track album I published this past summer was written, recorded and mixed entirely in NanoStudio 2.

Granted, I'm a synth guy and don't have much of a reason to ever record audio, but it handles multiple Auv3 instruments and effects like a champ. Even though there are some Auv3 MIDI limitations that even GarageBand handles better, there is no other environment I've worked in that is as conducive to creative productivity as NanoStudio 2.

And on the subject of audio tracks, even though it doesn't record audio well (though you can use Audiobus to record from external sources into NS2), using another app to record audio and then bringing audio into the NS2 arrangement via Slate does work surprisingly well (though such work arounds would ideally not be needed). Here's a track from my internet band LoungeBots with electric guitar parts:

• edited September 2020

Some people are misinterpreting a common gripe about about audio tracks as hatred for NS2. Honestly, read between the lines a little and stop taking everything at face value. I enjoy Ns2. Most people who were asking about audio tracks and other promises also probably enjoy the app. It isn’t always “this or that” there is usually gray area and you have to be open to seeing that.

• I’d love to get into NS2 if it has hardware remapping like BM3 does

• edited September 2020

@YZJustDatGuy said:
    I’d love to get into NS2 if it has hardware remapping like BM3 does

you can map hardware control to macro knobs of Obsidian / External MIDI instrument / AU instrument, and to almost all parameters of build in insert effects, as so as to mixer chanel fader, pan and levels of all channel sends ...

Basically every parameter which is possible to automate is possible also map to external midi hw controller...

• edited September 2020

@seonnthaproducer
    it's worth to mention you can load NS2 also as IAA generator inside AUM..

btw. people are posting here music made in NS2, so i add some, hope it's not offtopic too much :-)

Both albums fully produced in NS2 (with some useage of AU plugins, but not much)

chillout/breaks
    https://raysubject.bandcamp.com/album/clouds-chill-stuff

edm/trance
    https://raysubject.bandcamp.com/album/complexity-of-simplicity

And this is YT plalist with somgs from various artists, all made in NS2.. in case somebody have some NS2 tunes on YT and they aren't in that playlist, let me know and i'll add them ;)

• edited September 2020

@dendy said:

btw. people are posting here music made in NS2, so i add some, hope it's not offtopic too much :-)

Both albums fully produced in NS2 (with some useage of AU plugins, but not much)

Lots of cool stuff there. I’ve listened to a few from the chillout/breaks album and I like what I hear :-)

Here’s one I made on iPhone:

Not particularly happy with it (will probably remake it again soon) but quite pleased that it’s entirely possible to make a tune on a phone. I’m old enough that this still feels a bit like science fiction!

Edit:

I know that lots of people have been making tunes on iPhones for years, but Ns2 is the first app I’ve used on my iPhone that I have actually wanted to make a track with and suits my way of making music. And also my iPhone 11 is the first phone I’ve had that hasn’t run out of horsepowers whilst doing it.

• @klownshed said:

@dendy said:

Lots of cool stuff there. I’ve listened to a few from the chillout/breaks album and I like what I hear :-)

Here’s one I made on iPhone:

Not particularly happy with it (will probably remake it again soon) but quite pleased that it’s entirely possible to make a tune on a phone. I’m old enough that this still feels a bit like science fiction!

Edit:

I know that lots of people have been making tunes on iPhones for years, but Ns2 is the first app I’ve used on my iPhone that I have actually wanted to make a track with and suits my way of making music. And also my iPhone 11 is the first phone I’ve had that hasn’t run out of horsepowers whilst doing it.

Cool track. It has an industrial-dubstep type feel like FLA’s Echogenetic. I like the little outro too 😀

• @trancespotter said:

Cool track. It has an industrial-dubstep type feel like FLA’s Echogenetic. I like the little outro too 😀

Thanks :-) I think I might have to go and find some FLA to listen to; I used to listen to them in the 90s (Millenium era) so have a lot to catch up on :-)

• @dendy said:
    @seonnthaproducer

chillout/breaks
    https://raysubject.bandcamp.com/album/clouds-chill-stuff

edm/trance
    https://raysubject.bandcamp.com/album/complexity-of-simplicity

And this is YT plalist with somgs from various artists, all made in NS2.. in case somebody have some NS2 tunes on YT and they aren't in that playlist, let me know and i'll add them ;)

Whoa, that’s super awesome. And thanks for sharing. It’s really cool to see people embracing Nanostudio 2.

• @dendy said:
    @seonnthaproducer

Whoa, that’s super awesome. And thanks for sharing. It’s really cool to see people embracing Nanostudio 2.

• @klownshed said:

@trancespotter said:

Thanks :-) I think I might have to go and find some FLA to listen to; I used to listen to them in the 90s (Millenium era) so have a lot to catch up on :-)

FLA is great cuz he’s morphed over time while still keeping his personal sound, sorta like embracing the trends but molding it to his liking rather than letting the trend dictate his sound.

My favorite releases since Millenium (in no particular order):

Hardwired - prolly my favorite, came right after Millenium I think. Very aggressive, perfect blend of industrial metal without letting the guitars take over the tracks like in Millenium. A lot of electronics in there.

Echogenetic - like I said, dubstep-industrial feel. Very good.

Artificial Soldier - cyberpunk, futuristic feel, also aggressive but not as much as Hardwired. A little bit too much compression and limiting but nothing like Californication or Death Magnetic compression.

Airmech - kinda the precursor to Echogentic. Purely instrumental since it’s the soundtrack to the game Airmech. Also dubstep-y and electronic. Very pretty at times, especially System Anomoly.

• edited September 2020

@klownshed said:

@trancespotter said:

They definitely eventually hit the EDM/dubsteppy thing. Saw an interview with Bill a few years ago where he said he basically just hired these dubstep synth kids who do all this crazy ‘chaining’ stuff to work on them, hehe. Of all of the post Tactical Neural Implant stuff I pretty much prefer Noise Unit as it sounds most like TNI (and became instrumental).Such a shame FLA strayed so much from that claustrophobic cyberpunk sound but I guess it would have been a hard slog to keep that alive until cyberpunk became cool again, heh.

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    REASON #2: Nanostudio 2 works with other inter app audio apps
    Adding to this list, here’s another “Reason Compact” of why Nanostudio 2 is awesome.
    ">

Have you tried routing MIDI out from Zenbeats to NS2? Specifically to use Zenbeats loop mode to record it’s MIDI into NS2’s timeline and host all the instruments in NS2.

• @AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@trancespotter said:

They definitely eventually hit the EDM/dubsteppy thing. Saw an interview with Bill a few years ago where he said he basically just hired these dubstep synth kids who do all this crazy ‘chaining’ stuff to work on them, hehe. Of all of the post Tactical Neural Implant stuff I pretty much prefer Noise Unit as it sounds most like TNI (and became instrumental).Such a shame FLA strayed so much from that claustrophobic cyberpunk sound but I guess it would have been a hard slog to keep that alive until cyberpunk became cool again, heh.

Check out those albums I listed for that cyberpunk feel again! They have it but with a more modern sound 😀 I see what you mean though.

• edited September 2020

@trancespotter said:

@AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@trancespotter said:

Check out those albums I listed for that cyberpunk feel again! They have it but with a more modern sound 😀 I see what you mean though.

Yah i have heard those album for sure and use them if I am working on a project in that vibe. For me Cyberpunk started Anti-rock and anti-guitar with the exception of a crunchy loopy or two here and there. I never really dug the militant or guitar side of FLA. The naval gazey William Gibson-esque loner hooked up to computers thing is more cyberpunk to me and really only came out strong on TNI. Given the age I was at and how it turned my idea of sampling on my head TNI is just the gold standard. Everything after felt ‘market-researchy’ and less creative. :/ Gotta eat though!

• @trancespotter said:

@klownshed said:

@trancespotter said:

FLA is great cuz he’s morphed over time while still keeping his personal sound, sorta like embracing the trends but molding it to his liking rather than letting the trend dictate his sound.

My favorite releases since Millenium (in no particular order):

Hardwired - prolly my favorite, came right after Millenium I think. Very aggressive, perfect blend of industrial metal without letting the guitars take over the tracks like in Millenium. A lot of electronics in there.

Echogenetic - like I said, dubstep-industrial feel. Very good.

Artificial Soldier - cyberpunk, futuristic feel, also aggressive but not as much as Hardwired. A little bit too much compression and limiting but nothing like Californication or Death Magnetic compression.

Airmech - kinda the precursor to Echogentic. Purely instrumental since it’s the soundtrack to the game Airmech. Also dubstep-y and electronic. Very pretty at times, especially System Anomoly.

I have Millenium, TNI and Artificial Soldier in my old iTunes library. Which is lucky as they’re not all on Apple Music.

TNi and Millenium aren’t listed when you view all albums but weirdly if you look at some of the singles they’re from Millenium and you can then get to the album. Can’t find hide nor hair of TNI though. It’s not on iTunes Store either.

I’m starting to get nostalgic for Front 242 now too :-)

• @bresk said:

@MrSmileZ said:

If it could receive midi clock, it would be useful in my studio.
    How about ability to export a midifile?

• edited September 2020

@Optahealth said:

@bresk said:

@MrSmileZ said:

If it could receive midi clock, it would be useful in my studio.
    How about ability to export a midifile?

Yeah it can export MIDI files.

Native Midi clock would be nice though.

• Yeah it can export MIDI files.

Wow I totally missed that, looking in the wrong place I guess, Thank You!

Native Midi clock would be nice though.

• Need Audio tracks , also some starting point presets for the FX would be nice.