Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multiband Compressor by Mani Consulting Limited Company

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1528675416

Description:

KEY FEATURES
1. Lowest harmonic distortion of any compressor algorithm on the app store
2. Clean and simple interface
3. Side chain input with full band and band limited modes
4. High-resolution spectrum analyser displays the input and output volume at each frequency

ULTRA LOW DISTORTION COMPRESSOR ALGORITHM
This app uses the same low distortion compression algorithm used in our mix bus compressor. When we released that plugin we posted video on YouTube comparing it to every other iOS compressor we could get our hands on and demonstrated that this one has significantly lower harmonic distortion than any of the others. This app features an updated version of that original compressor core.

SIDE CHAIN INPUT
In host apps that support multi-input audio units you can use this app to achieve the pumping side chain effect typically heard in electronic dance music where the synth and other background instruments duck their volume in deference to the kick drum on every beat.

The side chain input of this plugin has two modes. In full-spectrum mode each frequency band is compressed according to the volume of the full spectrum of sidechain input. In single-band mode each band is compressed based on the side chain level in only that frequency band itself.

COMPRESSOR CONTROLS
Each of up to four bands has eight compressor settings. They are input gain, output gain, attack time, release time, threshold, ratio, soft/hard knee, and wet mix.

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 12.0
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• Great. I’m not a great user of Multiband compressor but this one is very good.

• This app is still available on testflight so you can try it for free before you buy it:
    https://testflight.apple.com/join/9p7Vse23

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    This app is still available on testflight so you can try it for free before you buy it:

Found a bug, but not sure if it’s iOS 14, AUM or Multiband’s fault.

iOS 14
    iPhone 6s

AUM crashes when lowering Multiband’s Ratio knob all the way down.

• @jolico said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    This app is still available on testflight so you can try it for free before you buy it:

iOS 14
    iPhone 6s

Thanks. We will check this.

• edited September 2020

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@jolico said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

iOS 14
    iPhone 6s

Thanks. We will check this.

We have replicated the bug in iOS 14 but don't see it in iOS 13. Thank you for reporting it. We will fix it ASAP. Unless it turns out to be an iOS bug; in that case we will report to apple instead.

• @White said:

That's quite a claim. Have you tested all the others? I have seen at least one other compressor on iOS that claims to have harmonic distortion lower than -140 dB even with the shortest possible attack and release times; are you sure yours is really better? Or do you just think it is better?

• edited September 2020

@DavidM said:

@White said:

That's quite a claim. Have you tested all the others? I have seen at least one other compressor on iOS that claims to have harmonic distortion lower than -140 dB even with the shortest possible attack and release times; are you sure yours is really better? Or do you just think it is better?

I tested all the others at one point. If you think there is one that is cleaner, tell me which one and I will do a comparison video immediately.

There are new compressors out since we ran these tests, but you can watch this video to see why we claim to have the lowest distortion:

• I personally think that such claims can't be made without a detailed description of the testing protocol (signals, levels, frequencies), which plugins were tested, what settings they used, whether they have lookahead or not (which is a huge factor!) and what objective metric was used to support the claim. Without that, anyone can claim to have the cleanest compressor (or any other plugin for that matter)..... It just becomes marketing yada yada.

• It’s clean. Can confirm. Have ears.

• @DavidM said:
    I personally think that such claims can't be made without a detailed description of the testing protocol (signals, levels, frequencies), which plugins were tested, what settings they used, whether they have lookahead or not (which is a huge factor!) and what objective metric was used to support the claim. Without that, anyone can claim to have the cleanest compressor (or any other plugin for that matter)..... It just becomes marketing yada yada.

If there is another serious contender for the cleanest compressor contest I would be happy to record a video were we do whichever tests you suggest.

• Thanks for the quick reply...

Let's start with the basics. On your video the attack and release controls of your compressor were set halfway... What attack and release times would that correspond to? And have you made sure you've used equivalent attack and release behaviour for the others? Increasing attack and release will in most cases reduce harmonic distortion so we need to make sure settings are the same for starters.

• edited September 2020

@DavidM said:
    Thanks for the quick reply...

Let's start with the basics. On your video the attack and release controls of your compressor were set halfway... What attack and release times would that correspond to? And have you made sure you've used equivalent attack and release behaviour for the others? Increasing attack and release will in most cases reduce harmonic distortion so we need to make sure settings are the same for starters.

Yes, the attack and release times are the main setting that affects the distortion. When I did those tests I set those settings in each compressor so that they were equivalent.

I don't want to get caught up in an argument about DSPenis envy.

What I saw when I tested compressors is that most of them are not even trying to have low distortion. Among the handful of compressors left that were designed with low distortion in mind, ours was the cleanest by a large margin. If that situation has changed and there is now a compressor that is clean enough so that we need to be more scientific about the testing then we can do that.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@DavidM said:
    Thanks for the quick reply...

Yes, the attack and release times are the main setting that affects the distortion. When I did those tests I set those settings in each compressor so that they were equivalent.

I don't want to get caught up in an argument about DSPenis envy.

What I saw when I tested compressors is that most of them are not even trying to have low distortion. Among the handful of compressors left that were designed with low distortion in mind, ours was the cleanest by a large margin. If that situation has changed and there is now a compressor that is clean enough so that we need to be more scientific about the testing then we can do that.

That's golden lol! Keep up the great work @Blue_Mangoo!

• edited September 2020

sooo let's wrap this up. You make a very bold statement about your compressor. Someone asks a critical but important question about attack and release times. You acknowledge that they are extremely important, but refuse to let us know what they were. Instead you use the P word. Not really a professional representation on a forum, is it?

Anway end of discussion from my perspective. End of being a customer too.

• @DavidM said:
    sooo let's wrap this up. You make a very bold statement about your compressor. Someone asks a critical but important question about attack and release times. You acknowledge that they are extremely important, but refuse to let us know what they were. Instead you use the P word. Not really a professional representation on a forum, is it?

Anway end of discussion from my perspective. End of being a customer too.

Your loss.
    They do make some of the best music production apps on iOS and they do have the cleanest and the most energy efficient compressors.

• _ki_ki
    edited September 2020

And BlueMangoo is one of the most open devs regarding the technical capabilities of his plugins, he did tons of videos while testing different dsp methods. Showing not only results but the whole toolchain he uses.

@DavidM Its you that went bollocks with your answer, not him. He offered to do a video comparison with any competitor and settings you come up and just drooled that he does‘t want to start a ‚fight who‘s better‘, but instead simply check / proove it in a video.

Perhaps you should at least post the name of the IOS AUv3 plugin that you think might be cleaner - otherwise it was just ‚hot air’ and ‚trolling’ from your side.

• And Blue Mangoo developed the try before you buy concept on iOS ;)

• Following on from our previous discussion @Blue_Mangoo this would be the perfect plugin to gain multi-outs.

Then I could add a bit of distortion on the low bass, bit of reverb on the high-pass..

What are the chances?

• @Jocphone said:
    Following on from our previous discussion @Blue_Mangoo this would be the perfect plugin to gain multi-outs.

Then I could add a bit of distortion on the low bass, bit of reverb on the high-pass..

What are the chances?

We are working on something for that. Something different. Not a compressor. But coming in the next few days.

• edited September 2020

Is this an intro price?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Jocphone said:
    Following on from our previous discussion @Blue_Mangoo this would be the perfect plugin to gain multi-outs.

What are the chances?

We are working on something for that. Something different. Not a compressor. But coming in the next few days.

Will the multiband compressor ever get a master level control?

• @Blue_Mangoo - liking it so far. Very easy to use in sidechain. One request: the dial for knee always says "soft knee", whether it is all the way to the left (hard knee) or all the way to the right (supersoft knee). When I touch the dial, it does indicate whether it is hard, soft or supersoft, but I wonder if the display above the dial could always indicate this information no matter what (or maybe just say "knee" and then show hard, soft or supersoft when the dial is touched). This is minor - just a little confusing at the beginning.

• @Blue_Mangoo

Thanks for the beta.

I started using this for one of my live performance
    configurations over the past couple of days.

It would be really cool if you could add more bands
    but that's more of a whim than anything else.

It's very nice.
    Quite subtle.

• @ALB said:
    @Blue_Mangoo - liking it so far. Very easy to use in sidechain. One request: the dial for knee always says "soft knee", whether it is all the way to the left (hard knee) or all the way to the right (supersoft knee). When I touch the dial, it does indicate whether it is hard, soft or supersoft, but I wonder if the display above the dial could always indicate this information no matter what (or maybe just say "knee" and then show hard, soft or supersoft when the dial is touched). This is minor - just a little confusing at the beginning.

This is a useful suggestion. Thank you

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@ALB said:
    @Blue_Mangoo - liking it so far. Very easy to use in sidechain. One request: the dial for knee always says "soft knee", whether it is all the way to the left (hard knee) or all the way to the right (supersoft knee). When I touch the dial, it does indicate whether it is hard, soft or supersoft, but I wonder if the display above the dial could always indicate this information no matter what (or maybe just say "knee" and then show hard, soft or supersoft when the dial is touched). This is minor - just a little confusing at the beginning.

This is a useful suggestion. Thank you

I, too find it confusing in the other compressor, too. I keep thinking that I have set the 'knee' to the wrong thing.

Another feature request for MB Compressor: a way to apply a setting to all the bands at once.

• I got a lot of distortion anyone can help me? Am I doing something wrong?

• @Charlesalbert said:

I got a lot of distortion anyone can help me? Am I doing something wrong?

Do you have that problem with all sources?

What sample rate and buffer size are you using?

• @DavidM you’re unfortunately coming off like a troll. BlueMangoo offered to do a test using your parameters and you came back with a wanker response. Blue is one of the most transparent devs around and an extremely good one at that. Did you run any tests on your critique or are you just here to swing some dick at the dev?

• @DavidM the dev offers a free fully functional trial through TestFlight.

Do the tests yourself and if you have any issues contact the dev directly.

Calling them out on a public forum the way you have is bad form.