Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Huge updates to AudioShare and AUM

Comments

• @ScratchyDirk said:
    Hello!
    Long time lurker first time poster, don’t know if this is the best place to post this but;

I’m having an issue with AUM on my iPad that I’m not experiencing on my iPhone.

On the iPad I’m not seeing any midi or audio unit icons, only get text

This only occurred on the iPad after updating to ios14 (no problems on iPhone on ios14).

It’s a 2015 iPad Pro, I’ve deleted and reinstalled AUM but still the same issue.

Anyone else seen this or know how to sort it? I’m amazed how much I’ve relied on picking synths & midi apps by their icon rather than name!

Please feel free to take the piss/mock me if I’ve missed something obvious....

Choose an IAA device then go back to AU and you should see icons. It’s a known iOS 14 bug. Hopefully an update will be out soon.

• Wow, it’s not me being an idiot then, thanks so much!

• @ScratchyDirk said:
    Hello!
    Long time lurker first time poster, don’t know if this is the best place to post this but;

This only occurred on the iPad after updating to ios14 (no problems on iPhone on ios14).

It’s a 2015 iPad Pro, I’ve deleted and reinstalled AUM but still the same issue.

Anyone else seen this or know how to sort it? I’m amazed how much I’ve relied on picking synths & midi apps by their icon rather than name!

If you rely on audio apps, don't ever update ios until the bugs are fixed. AUM dev said apple broke auv3 with ios 14. You'll have to wait on a fix from them.

• edited September 2020

yeh its iOS 14 . its a no fun release for some AU / Hosts
    @Samu yes! Apple native AU plzzz ( mite not happen as it will could eat @j_liljedahl s own fx pack )

• edited September 2020

@ScratchyDirk said:
    Hello!

It's something that I see from time to time after the iPad OS 14 update. Sometimes a restart of the iPad fixed it but I've found the best way to make the AU icons appear is to load an IAA source first - then remove it from the channel. You should then see the icons for AU / midi apps. It's a pain in the b*tt for sure - hopefully it'll get sorted soon...

• New update AUM 1.3.8 just out, may fix this.

• @Samu said:
    Would be super nice to see built-in support for the Apple AUv3's in AUM...
    ...it would be enough with value sliders or value entry similar to those GarageBand when using Apple AUv3's.
    (Twisted Wave makes extensive use of the Apple AUv3's with simple value boxes).

I would especially love to see the Apple AUDynamicsProcessor...
    ...it's got a good gate/downward-expander, compressor/limiter and good amount of makeup gain when needed.

Apples have no built-in AUv3's, they are AUv2 which means they have no UI. However many of the built-in filters/effects in AUM are already wrappers around Apple AU's, for example all EQs and the lookahead-limiter. It would be fairly easy to add AUDynamicsProcessor as well, I think.

• @j_liljedahl said:

Apples have no built-in AUv3's, they are AUv2 which means they have no UI. However many of the built-in filters/effects in AUM are already wrappers around Apple AU's, for example all EQs and the lookahead-limiter. It would be fairly easy to add AUDynamicsProcessor as well, I think.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up!
    I'm happy the developers behind ZenBeats decided to add support for the Apple AU's with basic a UI.

AUDynamicsProcessor is by far one of my favorite AUs.
    It's very good for gating microphone input and trimming the signal to suitable output level after applying compression.
    (A 'wet dream' would be to get the channel strip from the Allen & Heath DLive consoles as an AUv3).

I also use the AUDynamicsProcessor in TwistedWave to 'silence the gaps' so when I later add some gain the noise won't creep up during the silent parts since they are already perfect zeroes.

Another favorite is the AUPeakLimiter to max out the volume without fear of clipping.

The 'toolbox' Apple hides in the built-in AU's is a hidden gem that deserves more attention ;)

Cheers!
    /Samuel

• @j_liljedahl said:

That would be great. Please consider the delay or sample delay too 😇

• @Samu said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Ok, thanks for clearing that up!
    I'm happy the developers behind ZenBeats decided to add support for the Apple AU's with basic a UI.

AUDynamicsProcessor is by far one of my favorite AUs.
    It's very good for gating microphone input and trimming the signal to suitable output level after applying compression.
    (A 'wet dream' would be to get the channel strip from the Allen & Heath DLive consoles as an AUv3).

I also use the AUDynamicsProcessor in TwistedWave to 'silence the gaps' so when I later add some gain the noise won't creep up during the silent parts since they are already perfect zeroes.

Another favorite is the AUPeakLimiter to max out the volume without fear of clipping.

The 'toolbox' Apple hides in the built-in AU's is a hidden gem that deserves more attention ;)

I'll look into it! AUPeakLimiter is already there, it's called "Peak Limiter" in AUM :)

• edited September 2020

cool thnx Masta Kenobi

• Anyone else get x’s where the AU3 icon should be in a node? Then pressing the x it says “art kerns: midiSteps sequencer not installed.” Same thing with sugabytes, eventide etc. Only happening in AUM and after opening, then choosing reload session.
    Those AU3 are installed. I’m aware of the icon missing issue with ios14, but with this I can’t open or work on anything,

• @Model10000 said:
    Anyone else get x’s where the AU3 icon should be in a node? Then pressing the x it says “art kerns: midiSteps sequencer not installed.” Same thing with sugabytes, eventide etc. Only happening in AUM and after opening, then choosing reload session.
    Those AU3 are installed. I’m aware of the icon missing issue with ios14, but with this I can’t open or work on anything,

Have you updated AUM? Latest is version 1.3.8.

Have you tried restarting the device?

• Yep, that version from the App Store. It’s happened about 4 or 5 times in the last week with various sessions. A restart does fix it. iOS 14 seems a bit bumpier transition than previous couple.

• Nah. Minor version updates maybe, but major ones are always like this. People just always forget the birthing pains.

• edited October 2020

iOS 14 bug, it seems. I've heard a few users reporting this but haven't seen it myself. (Maybe fixed in iPadOS 14.2 beta 2 which I'm running)

• @j_liljedahl
    I purchased Audioshare a while back and wrote to you about my dismay to find that the app was unable to access files on an external USB device, making it useless to me so I haven’t used it since. I just wondered, since you have updated the app, whether my request has been implemented? I would love to be able to actually make use of this app, rather than have it taking up space on my device. Thank you.

• @DSCB57 said:
    I purchased Audioshare a while back and wrote to you about my dismay to find that the app was unable to access files on an external USB device, making it useless to me so I haven’t used it since. I just wondered, since you have updated the app, whether my request has been implemented? I would love to be able to actually make use of this app, rather than have it taking up space on my device. Thank you.

Have you tried using the Files app to access the usb device? You can easily copy and paste files between Audioshare and the drive that way. I admit, it would nice to have direct access in Audioshare too, along with Webdav access :)

• @Carnbot said:

@DSCB57 said:

Have you tried using the Files app to access the usb device? You can easily copy and paste files between Audioshare and the drive that way. I admit, it would nice to have direct access in Audioshare too, along with Webdav access :)

I can easily access my external drives using the files app, within any app which allows this, but when I purchased the Audioshare app and tried to access my drives there was no option available to use the files app - maybe that’s changed? That’s what I’m asking about. When I wrote to the dev I was basically told that this might be implemented in a later version of the app. Remember that prior to the last version of iOS this access to external USB devices had not been opened up. Now we expect all apps to make use of this, but still there are many which do not. I was really disappointed to find that Audioshare had not implemented this type of access into the UI, since that would truly have made it live up to the hype.

• @DSCB57 said:

@Carnbot said:

@DSCB57 said:

I can easily access my external drives using the files app, within any app which allows this, but when I purchased the Audioshare app and tried to access my drives there was no option available to use the files app - maybe that’s changed? That’s what I’m asking about. When I wrote to the dev I was basically told that this might be implemented in a later version of the app. Remember that prior to the last version of iOS this access to external USB devices had not been opened up. Now we expect all apps to make use of this, but still there are many which do not. I was really disappointed to find that Audioshare had not implemented this type of access into the UI, since that would truly have made it live up to the hype.

It's not been implemented yet but I'm sure he'll get around to it :) But because Audioshare has direct access to Files as well, I only find it a minor inconvenience personally.

• @DSCB57 said:

@Carnbot said:

@DSCB57 said:

AudioShare’s directory is visible in Files. You can use the Files app to move things in and out of Audioshare’s directory.

• Yes, it's implemented already. You can access external USB media from inside AudioShare when importing and exporting files.

• Right of course :) You can just use pick files or pick folder and it shows up in there.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Yes, it's implemented already. You can access external USB media from inside AudioShare when importing and exporting files.

Thank you, that’s great to know. I’ll give it another shot then, and hopefully this will improve my workflow immensely!

• @espiegel123 said:

@DSCB57 said:

@Carnbot said:

@DSCB57 said:

AudioShare’s directory is visible in Files. You can use the Files app to move things in and out of Audioshare’s directory.

Thank you.

• @Carnbot said:
    Right of course :) You can just use pick files or pick folder and it shows up in there.

Thank you.

• How many channels can aum actually record?

Can you bus send audio to an effects chain. Record audio through effects but also record just the audio channel before send. Save fx presets. So you can add effects to audio?

• Bump for no sledge.

• Basically to not have all effects recorded on recording ( but also to have effects on recording in case good )

This way the option of re-adding effects, when not having to tweak synths.

People might seen to transfer to a DAW. Is it that effects are always transfered on audio?

Made a setup with over 20 channels but never used all channels ( this is without the potential of above. Where every channel has an additional send or receive ) Wouldnt want to find aum can only record max of 16 channels.

• @sigma79
    I don’t know, but I assume it is limited to what your device is capable of.
    You can record all the channels to their own files simultaneously, and you can create at least 64 channels, but probably couldn’t run that many at once anyway.