Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

Comments

• @burns_audio Heyo! So... maybe this is just not a good thing to do... but I've noticed when opening projects from different hosts across different devices, I have issues...

I've observed this behavior in GarageBand, AUM and Nanostudio2. It doesn't seem to happen every time, but to try to replicate you can load Spectrum (or maybe modal or resonator I don't use them too much), make some changes, save your project and then copy to another device (via iCloud is usually how I do it) and when the project it opened on another device the plugin is in an unloaded/crashed state. It can be reloaded immediately, BUT the bummer is that all my settings are cleared (ie, sound engine, knob tweaks, LFO settings etc).

Is it just me? Am I doing something I shouldn't be?? Again, thanks so much for Spectrum it's still one of my favorites from 2019, a go to of mine.

• @iammane youre doing things that are a bit less frequent but they should still work. Will add to my list for a bug fix release. Thanks for the detailed reports!

• Awesome! Again, if you ever have a paid version of this I'm first in line :)

• @burns_audio me again, so sorry lol... any chance export in GB will be fixed? Can get Spectrum to crash every time during either merge track or full track export. I was poking around the forums and saw this: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/23790/au-effects-render-problems-in-gb/p1

It's a little bit of an older thread but Bram has some good notes in there (though it really does seem like it's just GarageBand doing what GarageBand do, and not really something you guys can control??)

Just throwing it out there. Hope all is well by you!

• @iammane i didn't know it was broken!

I'm working on an update to my other app at the moment. After that will be a Spectrum bug fix release.

• Sweet! Sounds like a plan B)

• Is freezing Spectrum in Cubasis 3 broken for anyone else? Both freezing and mixdown render silent files.

• @papertiger said:
    Is freezing Spectrum in Cubasis 3 broken for anyone else? Both freezing and mixdown render silent files.

Yes- same in GarageBand

• @iammane said:

@papertiger said:
    Is freezing Spectrum in Cubasis 3 broken for anyone else? Both freezing and mixdown render silent files.

Yes- same in GarageBand

Thank you for confirming. I will reach out to the developer.

• @burns_audio said:
    @iammane i didn't know it was broken!

I'm working on an update to my other app at the moment. After that will be a Spectrum bug fix release.

Thank you! I'm enjoying your bundle as hell 😎

• edited September 2020

Still my favorite and most used synth AU of 2019... I know we can do all the same stuff in MiRack, but still...

• @iammane said:
    Still my favorite and most used synth AU of 2019... I know we can do all the same stuff in MiRack, but still...

+1

They sound really cool.

• @iammane said:

Ditto, it's also polyphonic which is a pita with MiRack :D

• @Samu said:

@iammane said:

Ditto, it's also polyphonic which is a pita with MiRack :D

Amen. Gave it a shot last night as an alternative and didn’t even make it to adding a second instance of Plaits, lol.

• @papertiger said:

Amen. Gave it a shot last night as an alternative and didn’t even make it to adding a second instance of Plaits, lol.

I'm even lazier, some of the modules are present in the Arturia MicroFreak so I tend to mess around with that one instead :D
    I also have some of the modules loaded in the the NTS-1 for instant fun :)
    (Processing the MicroFreak thru the NTS-1 is pretty neat).

• Soo, back in March, I started working on an update to my other app (Synth Modes). Due to lockdowns and having schools cancelled, that update took until August. Now with one of my kids back in a sort of school environment, I can work on this bugfix update a bit. I'll re-read the last couple pages here as many good issues arose.

Cheers
    Tom

• @burns_audio :relieved: glad all is well and looking forward to it!

• It used to be possible to scale the window (to make the knobs bigger) and also hide the X&Y panel.
    That's no longer possible or?

One 'thing' I'ld love to see is numerical input for the values as it can get pretty annoying when the value changes when lifting the finger. The developer behind Mela (and a few others) has a really nice 'Numeric Pad' for manual input.

Cheers!

• @Samu said:
    It used to be possible to scale the window (to make the knobs bigger) and also hide the X&Y panel.

No longer possible, sorry. I used to reflow the UI based on the width of the window, and at a certain breakpoint hide the XY pad. The problem was that instead of ensuring the UI looked good at a single, fixed width, I had to ensure it looked good at all possible widths, which would end up with bad text rendering issues where labels overlapped and things like that.

• @burns_audio said:

@Samu said:
    It used to be possible to scale the window (to make the knobs bigger) and also hide the X&Y panel.

No longer possible, sorry. I used to reflow the UI based on the width of the window, and at a certain breakpoint hide the XY pad. The problem was that instead of ensuring the UI looked good at a single, fixed width, I had to ensure it looked good at all possible widths, which would end up with bad text rendering issues where labels overlapped and things like that.

It's ok, it's mainly an issue when using it on the iPhone, on the iPad It's ok.

Numerical entry is still something I feel could be handy especially for modulation depth and some of the oscillator values that use small ranges for specific sounds (speech, waveform selection etc.).

The synths them selves are pure joy to use and to be honest Spectrum was one of the 'kickers' for me to get the Arturia Micro Freak (guess it's just a matter of time before Arturia adds all the MI oscillators). The Korg NTS-1 is another bundle of joy :D

Cheers!

• Wow ... just discovered this ... looks awesome ... I was dithering over whether to get a microfreak or NTS-1 to try these oscillators out, but this may be all I need.

• @bibenu said:
    Wow ... just discovered this ... looks awesome ... I was dithering over whether to get a microfreak or NTS-1 to try these oscillators out, but this may be all I need.

MiRack is an option as well...
    I ended up getting both the MicroFreak and the NTS-1 thanks to Spectrum :D

Spectrum does offer a more fully featured implementation but the 'fun factor' of both the MicroFreak and NTS-1 can not be ignored!

• @burns_audio said:
    Soo, back in March, I started working on an update to my other app (Synth Modes). Due to lockdowns and having schools cancelled, that update took until August. Now with one of my kids back in a sort of school environment, I can work on this bugfix update a bit. I'll re-read the last couple pages here as many good issues arose.

Cheers
    Tom

Your Spectrum Bundle is really good and one of my most used apps. Thanks for keeping working on it!

• @Samu said:

MiRack is an option as well...
    I ended up getting both the MicroFreak and the NTS-1 thanks to Spectrum :D

Spectrum does offer a more fully featured implementation but the 'fun factor' of both the MicroFreak and NTS-1 can not be ignored!

I'm blown away ... even the default 'analog' patch sounds magical ... took me ages to figure it out ... seems to be the LPG

• I'm finding it hard to set exact values e.g. when the harmonics knob controls a frequency ratio, it's quite important to be able to hit 0.5 or 0.33 for harmonies.

I always find that even if I can get the knob to the value I want, when I lift my finger the knob jumps by enough to mess things up and produce a beating effect.

Has anyone found a way round that ?

I tried long press, double-click etc to see if there was another UI to set the value, but no luck so far.

• I would email the developer - he is very friendly and responsive to suggestions. I believe @samu brought this issue up earlier in the thread. I agree that there is room for improvement, especially in the context of the FM algorithm!

• @bibenu said:

I tried long press, double-click etc to see if there was another UI to set the value, but no luck so far.

Currently there is no work around until we get a numerical entry dialogue of some kind...

• @papertiger said:
    I would email the developer - he is very friendly and responsive to suggestions. I believe @samu brought this issue up earlier in the thread. I agree that there is room for improvement, especially in the context of the FM algorithm!

For me it's setting precise modulation depth that is causing most annoyance.
    I'm pretty sure the developer is already aware of this 'request' since it was made long time ago :)

• @Samu said:

@bibenu said:

Currently there is no work around until we get a numerical entry dialogue of some kind...

I'm actually trying to figure out if there's a way to do a CC mapping from a physical device with knob(s) to the Ipad .. trouble is I don't own an MPD218 or anything remotely like it.

Is there a hack involving sending CCs from another app with a more precise UI ?

• The MIDI CC values are hard coded in the app. Tom has them up on this website, thankfully, but the app does not have MIDI learn or variable MIDI CC assignment.