Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best accurate chromatic tuner

DonDon
edited October 2014 in General App Discussion

I just cut a new nut for my guitar and find I get different readings from app tuners. Tonestack different from Amplitube etc.
Is there a good chromatic tuner? I am trying to intonate as well so accuracy is very important.
Thanks in advance
Don

Comments

• +1 on tonal energy tuner. Really great. I've never set up a guitar with it though.

• Has anyone compared TET with iStroboSoft?

• Huh. I never thought to look at TET. But if it gives me a valid excuse to throw $4 towards Sonosaurus, it's worth a look. They have to be on any "top developer" list.

I do agree with above that there are accuracy/lag issues with some of the other popular ones. Though the one within JamUp usually works if I give it enough time.

• I didnt regret buying this:

„insTuner - Chromatic Tuner with Tone Generator“ von EUMLab of Xanin Tech. GmbH
    https://appsto.re/de/JORHF.i

• TET is awesome! It has a smiley-face when your in tune! iStrobosoft does NOT have a smiley-face. It is obvious which one is better.

• I like TET also. It runs in AB and is very accurate with more features than I'll ever understand. But Accutone by Positive grid is easier because it has smarter damping, not as jumpy. But TET in AB is what I use most often.

• Our UltraTuner is extremely accurate. Check it out if you would: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/ultratuner

• @TedBPhx said:

I like TET also. It runs in AB and is very accurate with more features than I'll ever understand. But Accutone by Positive grid is easier because it has smarter damping, not as jumpy. But TET in AB is what I use most often.

Check out the Response Speed option in TET's preferences, set it to slow and see if that works better for you. It's a fairly new option...

• @sonosaurus, does the tonal energy tuner not work with an audio interface? I'm trying to use my apogee one to intonate my bass, I just bought this thinking it would be a great tool, but it seems the only input is through the mic?

• edited October 2014

@mrufino1 said:

@sonosaurus, does the tonal energy tuner not work with an audio interface? I'm trying to use my apogee one to intonate my bass, I just bought this thinking it would be a great tool, but it seems the only input is through the mic?

It should work with audio interfaces fine, as iOS automatically chooses them as the active input device. However, the current version only listens to the first channel of an interface, which is probably the issue here... I'm guessing the One's mic is channel 1, and the instrument input is channel 2? The good news is that I quite literally just implemented channel selection an hour ago for the bug-fix update I'm about to submit!

In the meantime, you can use TET with audiobus, drop it into the filter or output slot, and choose the 2nd input channel in AB's audio input setter.

• edited October 2014

Please tell us you're going to port TET's sounds into Thumbjam? Please sir???

• Also, can the metronome in TET set to be triggered by an external MIDI clock? Thanks!

• @sonosaurus said:

@mrufino1 said:

@sonosaurus, does the tonal energy tuner not work with an audio interface? I'm trying to use my apogee one to intonate my bass, I just bought this thinking it would be a great tool, but it seems the only input is through the mic?

It should work with audio interfaces fine, as iOS automatically chooses them as the active input device. However, the current version only listens to the first channel of an interface, which is probably the issue here... I'm guessing the One's mic is channel 1, and the instrument input is channel 2? The good news is that I quite literally just implemented channel selection an hour ago for the bug-fix update I'm about to submit!

In the meantime, you can use TET with audiobus, drop it into the filter or output slot, and choose the 2nd input channel in AB's audio input setter.

Thanks. That did not work through audiobus though. I will try with a DI into input 1, but good news about channel selection. Thanks.

• edited October 2014

I think this is a good tuner: Guitar Tuna.
    It is free, it is not jumpy, it has no problem hearing an electric guitar (not amplified through the microphone) and is very easy to use.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/guitartuna/id527588389?ls=1&mt=8

• @CalCutta said:

Also, can the metronome in TET set to be triggered by an external MIDI clock? Thanks!

Yep.

• @NoiseHorse said:

Please tell us you're going to port TET's sounds into Thumbjam? Please sir???

Yeah, I think it's about time for that. Look for it soon!

• @sonosaurus said:

@CalCutta said:

Also, can the metronome in TET set to be triggered by an external MIDI clock? Thanks!

Yep.

Wonderful, this will help me, thanks!

• @sonosaurus you are the Man!!! Thank you sooooo much. I'll be jamming all night. I've finally got a decent horn section to go along with your personal Piano (which I think sounds like my Mom's at home (great!))

• edited May 2019

@ikmultimedia said:
    Our UltraTuner is extremely accurate. Check it out if you would: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/ultratuner

I like this light-weight tuner but it's still "portrait" mode only... which is hella annoying as I run my whole set up in landscape... and this confuses my apps. I would definitely pay a few bucks for a "landscape" feature... but... it's not an option

I'll try TE Tuner again... but... seems like overkill for my basic tuning purposes.

I also tried insTuner but having troubles using it in Audiobus... it keeps looking for hardware inputs though it should be dealt with through Audiobus

• Happy to report TET is working well for my needs so far (though still have to test CPU usage...). I guess ideally I'm still hoping for a strobe tuner as graphically, they are just so simple and easy to understand, I find them the most "intuitive" tuner interface to work with. But TET makes it pretty simple too... with the expanding green dot (I had to take off the smiley face though... I know... I'm a music snob).

• edited June 2019

@Don said:
    I just cut a new nut for my guitar and find I get different readings from app tuners. Tonestack different from Amplitube etc.
    Is there a good chromatic tuner? I am trying to intonate as well so accuracy is very important.
    Thanks in advance
    Don

Is the body side of the nut higher than the headstock side? So the front edge is acting as the fret? If that weren’t right the guitar would never intonate. Just asking because a new nut shouldn’t change the intonation, because the edge should be in the same spot.

Do you do the pencil graphite in the string slots? Helps the string slide smoother as you tune so it isn’t jerky.

EDIT: original post was necro bumped from 2014?

• I've been using iStrobosoft for ages and I love it. Very accurate

• @Daveypoo said:
    I've been using iStrobosoft for ages and I love it. Very accurate

Since tuners are used most often for guitars and other string instruments I love the
    "sweetened" tunings. If you play acoustic guitars watch this video and then be advised that
    the Peterson products with IAP's offer sweetened tunings for many instruments.
    Getting guitars in tune is really hard and anything that helps them get in tune and stay in tune
    is worth having for my ears. Playing out of tune just takes me out of the moment. If you're flat you
    can push a single tune up a bit but it's so much better to just enjoy playing.

James Taylor recommends these sweetenings for acoustic guitars:

-3 cents high E
    -6 cents B
    -4 cents G
    -8 cents D
    -10 cents A
    -12 cents E

Peterson has some specific sweetenings for electrics too.

By the way the well-tempered tuning of the piano tunes minor 3rds 15 cents away from the technically correct frequency. The Colossus Piano app supports Hermiode Tuning that adjusts notes in various contexts to make chords sound better. Logic on the Mac has this capability to tweak frequencies and make chords "ring" better.

There are a lot YouTube Videos on this question of using something other than the strict frequencies
    on stringed instruments.

These are compensations for bass strings ringing sharp, capo's pulling some notes sharp.
    Piano tuners have been using tricks to make pianos sound better due to hardware issues related to the physics of metal strings.

Stopping the "strobe" backlit wheels has been the mainstay for bands and orchestras for years and
    it makes a pretty decent GUI on IOS devices to stop the wheels when you're on the right pitch.
    I have the Peterson StroboClip HD hardware ($59) and it works well. So, when the IOS option came out with Sweetners for an extra IAP fee it was a must buy for me.

• @McD said:
    Since tuners are used most often for guitars and other string instruments I love the
    "sweetened" tunings. If you play acoustic guitars watch this video and then be advised that
    Getting guitars in tune is really hard and anything that helps them get in tune and stay in tune
    is worth having for my ears. Playing out of tune just takes me out of the moment. If you're flat you

I've looked into these and so far I haven't needed it. To my ears the standard setting does a great job, and I chalk up any other issues to my own sucky playing. ;)

• @Daveypoo said:
    I've been using iStrobosoft for ages and I love it. Very accurate

Me too - I will never need another tuner. :)

• edited June 2019

@McD said:

James Taylor recommends these sweetenings for acoustic guitars:

-3 cents high E
    -6 cents B
    -4 cents G
    -8 cents D
    -10 cents A
    -12 cents E

Peterson has some specific sweetenings for electrics too.

These are compensations for bass strings ringing sharp, capo's pulling some notes sharp.

Thanks for sharing this... interesting info

I haven't bought iStrobosoft yet as I'm not sure it will work for me, since I customized the electronics in my guitar I have a stereo output (highs on one channel, lows on another), so I need the ability to select the input channels going into the app... which, from the manual, it doesn't look like iStrobosoft can do (please correct me if I'm wrong- if the app is able to monitor on two input channels simultaneously). I already contacted Peterson and requested Audiobus support.

Additionally, with Audiobus support, it's possible to open the app "hands-free", using a MIDI foot controller

• @thenonanonymous said:

I haven't bought iStrobosoft yet as I'm not sure it will work for me, since I customized the electronics in my guitar I have a stereo output (highs on one channel, lows on another), so I need the ability to select the input channels going into the app... which, from the manual, it doesn't look like iStrobosoft can do (please correct me if I'm wrong- if the app is able to monitor on two input channels simultaneously). I already contacted Peterson and requested Audiobus support.

The Peterson StroboClip HD just attaches to the guitar headstock and picks up the string vibrations mechanically.

UltraTuner and Total Energy Tuner both work as IAA FX in AUM so you can direct a stereo signal or each individual channel (one at a time) to the IAA App.

• @McD said:
    The Peterson StroboClip HD just attaches to the guitar headstock and picks up the string vibrations mechanically.

Cool, will check it out if I'm not satisfied with this iOS route

@McD said:
    UltraTuner and Total Energy Tuner both work as IAA FX in AUM so you can direct a stereo signal or each individual channel (one at a time) to the IAA App.

yeah, TETuner is working for me right now (and growing on me... I wasn't as thrilled with its busy interface at first... but I found you could customize it) ... was just pining a bit for a strobe tuner

UltraTuner doesn't work in landscape, which messes up my other apps... so.. too frustrating for me