Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LightningUSB---->Power hub/splitter, instead of Camera kit?

I don't like the camera connection kit, it bulking everything up close to the iPhone.
So I thought I'd try the impossible, plug it straight to a powered USB hub-splitter and charge that way. Put my soundcard and Midi keyboard to the hub.
I'm looking for one that
-Lets a separate detachable USB port be the "Solo" In (coming from iPhone)
-Has separate wall charging

Have you seen anyone pull it off, thought about it? I'm googling pretty heavily (Also searched the forum)
Thanx!
(: (: (:

Comments

• You might be able to charge the iPad but you'll not be able to communicate with the other devices connected to the hub...
    For USB-C it might be different if the hub also supports PD(Power Delivery).

I've tried a similar exercise long time ago connecting the Lightning->USB cable to a hub, the iPad charges but it can not communicate with the other devices...

So for now the CCK is needed for Lightning based iPads and iPhones...

• Thanx for the reply. I'm sorry you went through the same trial as me. I thought there should exist a Hub/splitter that would allow one "USB in" to be the "Master", or a more advanced one that you could decide what ports send where? They mostly have dedicated "Master" ports though

• Maybe you should search for lighting male to female cable, extender ;)

• Just to avoid the bulkiness of the camera connection kit you mean? I was considering considering.. (:
    Now I'm considering a non apple made Lightning to TWO USB outs (with charging).
    I could stick my soundcard in one and Midi keyboard in the other. Are these non apples known to have higher latency? Reckon it would work?

• @_smund said:
    Just to avoid the bulkiness of the camera connection kit you mean? I was considering considering.. (:
    Now I'm considering a non apple made Lightning to TWO USB outs (with charging).
    I could stick my soundcard in one and Midi keyboard in the other. Are these non apples known to have higher latency? Reckon it would work?

I use non Apple cck's with two USB ports.
    There doesn't seem to be a difference in latency at all.
    I've been testing them for almost two months now.

I left a link on another thread.
    One moment...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-iPhone-8Pin-Lightning-to-USB-3-0-Camera-Adapter-Charging-Cable-OTG-Data-Sync/264758054301?hash=item3da4cf4d9d:g:WvwAAOSwB5Fe3y~7

This is the model I currently use.
    I have two of them for both of my iPads
    with two different audio interfaces.

The aluminium,... also looks cool.

• Thanx bros. Damn, I wish they made one with a longer cable. They don't want us to look good?

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

Apple thinks dongles look good. You see a dongle, but all they see are $$ signs.

• @wim said:
    Apple thinks dongles look good. You see a dongle, but all they see are $$ signs.

+1

• heshes
    edited September 2020

@Gravitas said:

I use non Apple cck's with two USB ports.
    There doesn't seem to be a difference in latency at all.
    I've been testing them for almost two months now.

I got one of these after reading your comment in the other thread. So far it seems to work fine with charging my ipad, and with accessing files on my Samsung T5 120GB external ssd. I doubt whether the ssd would work if power were not attached, I don't think I've checked it that way, but so far works fine with the Apple charger plugged into the dongle.

I'm in U.S., this is the product I got (for $12), which looks identical to yours: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264825063599

BTW, thanks!

• Hes, can you transfer Audio files through your USB SD card thingy with it?

• @hes said:

I got one of these after reading your comment in the other thread. So far it seems to work fine with charging my ipad, and with accessing files on my Samsung T5 120GB external ssd. I doubt whether the ssd would work if power were not attached, I don't think I've checked it that way, but so far works fine with the Apple charger plugged into the dongle.

I'm in U.S., this is the product I got (for $12), which looks identical to yours: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264825063599

BTW, thanks!

You're welcome.

• @_smund said:
    Hes, can you transfer Audio files through your USB SD card thingy with it?

Yes. It seems same as Apple CCK, which I also have. (Got this new one because I have two ipads.)

• edited September 2020

@_smund said:
    I don't like the camera connection kit, it bulking everything up close to the iPhone.
    So I thought I'd try the impossible, plug it straight to a powered USB hub-splitter and charge that way. Put my soundcard and Midi keyboard to the hub.
    I'm looking for one that
    -Lets a separate detachable USB port be the "Solo" In (coming from iPhone)
    -Has separate wall charging

Have you seen anyone pull it off, thought about it? I'm googling pretty heavily (Also searched the forum)
    Thanx!
    (: (: (:

What you described is absolutely possible and it works fine for me, it’s my configuration for quite some time now. In detail, I’ve got a power USB hub plugged directly to my iPad Pro (with a USB / Lightning adapter, because of my iPad 10.5). On this HUB, I plug my Apogee DUET, my BeatStep Pro, my MicroBrute (IN and OUT) or Meeblip (just IN) and depending on my needs, my MiniLab or a NanoKontrol. They are all seeing in every DAWs, AUM and others, and they can all listening to each other. And if I need another midi controller I can always plug it in my Apogee. There’s still a USB charging port on the HUB which I use to power the CCK, but it doesn’t even need it.
    A totally different setup is possible if you need to send midi between 2 iPads without using a Mac and configuring a MIDI over wifi network, which by the way is a total mess. Plug your iPads with a USB cable to the HUB, and you have an audio/MIDI connection between your iPad and to your Mac.
    So yes, go for it, get a solid USB HUB, no need to by an expensive one, I first use an old 15€ hub just to see if the configuration could be working, and it did, and last summer I bought an Atolla (20€ and 40€ for 7 ports).

• A USB connection always has a "Master" and a "Slave" device. A USB Hub facilitates
    data flow from a Master to multiple Slaves.

What we want with a HUB most often is a Master (iPad) to communicate with a Master (Computer) or another IOS device.

To do this Master to Master we need a Smart Device (iConnect+ for example) that emulates
    the Slave relationship to both Masters and passes communications between the iPad and
    a computer, a 2nd iPad or any compliant Master device. It's a HUB and a little dedicated
    "computer" with special software "firmware" for the emulation tricks.

It is fun to use a power HUB to connect multiple MIDI controllers and an Audio Interface to
    the iPad. The iPad is the Master to a little network of Slaves. The HUB can also power all the devices so you can work all night with this studio rig.

I haven't tested if the Apple IDAM still works through a HUB with a lot of devices for the Mac to iPad audio connection. The iPad can only send audio up to the Mac and not receive it, I think. But maybe someone will verify the limits of IDAM at the current IOS and Mac OS versions. In my exerience it forces the Mac to control the DAW while the iPad is like external
    hardware using USB Audio.

• Why on earth didn’t they put 4 USB ports ? It would be instant buy .

I wonder if anyone tried powering both the adapter and the usb hub from the same charger
    I think I’ve done it in the past but have goldfish memory ...

• edited September 2020
  • @coolout said:
    I wonder if this one actually works for audio work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZXQ5A7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AQFBVJ3OA643K&psc=1

It should work , but I bet the SD card speed will be limited to usb2 speeds.

Anyone with Pro older models that support usb3 speeds (not usbC) might want to get a lighting to USB3 adapter instead.

• @Korakios said:

@coolout said:
    I wonder if this one actually works for audio work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZXQ5A7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AQFBVJ3OA643K&psc=1

It should work , but I bet the SD card speed will be limited to usb2 speeds.

Anyone with Pro older models that support usb3 speeds (not usbC) might want to get a lighting to USB3 adapter instead.

I personally would probably never use the card reader. Airdrop and icloud are too easy. I think if works as good as using a CCK with a powered USB hub, this could be good way to make things simpler.