Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

apps/plugs that send CV via audio out

what are the iOS apps/plugs that send cv via audio out
so one could controll hardware gear with em?

thanks!
( i want to send to an Korg Minilogue XD)

Comments

• this is amazing and cheap:
    CV Mod

could not find any other...

• @waka_x said:
    what are the iOS apps/plugs that send cv via audio out
    so one could controll hardware gear with em?

thanks!
    ( i want to send to an Korg Minilogue XD)

Audulus. A lot of Eurorack developers apparently mock things up in Audulus during their design phase -- usually using an Expert Sleepers interface since all the audi ins/outs are DC-coupled and can be used as either CV or audio.

• Brute LFO
    • Trigger Box

Both by dev Justus Kandzi

• On the one hand, CV is just voltage, so anything that outputs audio can work. Some of the modular apps allow ultra-low frequencies.

But, obviously, lower than audio frequency (sub 20 Hz) or static DC signals require special apps.

Also, iOS devices have a very limited voltage range (± 0.5V?), so if you really want to do this you need to amplify that signal or use DC-coupled audio interfaces that have a greater range.

In addition to CV Mod there are a few other simple CV apps: Brute LFO, Trigger Box

zMors Modular was designed to send CV and would be a lot more capable.

If you're looking for more precise control (e.g. oscillator calibration), the best options are CoVariant and CVquencer, but these are designed to work with DC-coupled interfaces with multiple outputs and inputs to allow that precision.

• thank you all for links:)

• miRack seems to work great for this also!!!

• oh wow, is MiRack working sending CV to a DC coupled interface?

• Can I use MiRack to trigger and sending CV to my DFAM just with the mini audio jack from my idevices?
    Because with CV MOD it can’t work or maybe I need to amplify the signal with an external mixer?

• @Hkor said:
    Can I use MiRack to trigger and sending CV to my DFAM just with the mini audio jack from my idevices?
    Because with CV MOD it can’t work or maybe I need to amplify the signal with an external mixer?

The issue is just the output of the iDevice. They typically only put out ± 0.5V, whereas Eurorack modules can handle ±10V. Typically, triggers on Eurorack modules are registered when the voltage goes above 3v , but this is variable; some modules will trigger with an iDevice, a lot won't. Amplification is definitely your friend when trying to get this to work.

Since bipolar CV passes through 0V, you'll likely have more luck there, but you're still working with a limited range without amplification.

• @Calverhall said:
    oh wow, is MiRack working sending CV to a DC coupled interface?

Used with my ES-9 last night to send an LFO to a Doepfer filter. It's magic! 😍 Need a DC coupled interface as noted.

• @auxmux said:

@Calverhall said:

Used with my ES-9 last night to send an LFO to a Doepfer filter. It's magic! 😍 Need a DC coupled interface as noted.

Still waiting on the ES-9 I ordered in June. I have been living out my Mutable fantasies in the meantime in MiRack. I cant wait to merge the iPad with the modular.

• Pulsar. So good its insane, randomizers make me go whoo. Underrated... and yea trigger box is cash money as well/dope shapes as well. Hails to iPad headphone jacks turned into cv analog, seems so bizarre to me that it even works.

• What is a dc coupled interface? thx

• @oceansinspace said:
    Pulsar. So good its insane, randomizers make me go whoo. Underrated...

Whats "pulsar"??

• edited September 2020

@oceansinspace said:
    What is a dc coupled interface? thx

Most audio interfaces are made to handle audio signals, oscillating waveforms. They block very low frequencies, below maybe 20 Hz, and especially constant (direct current) signals. So they're not most suitable for transmitting CV signals. But some models are specifically designed to do this. As discussed here, that's what you need to interface an iOS app to modular hardware.

• edited September 2020

@Calverhall said:

@auxmux said:

@Calverhall said:

Still waiting on the ES-9 I ordered in June. I have been living out my Mutable fantasies in the meantime in MiRack. I cant wait to merge the iPad with the modular.

Sorry to hear that. I ordered mine end of July from Control in NYC, got it two weeks ago. Try SignalSounds in UK, since they are in same town as ES.

• Someone over at the beepstreet forum uses Drambo with his ES-8. Seems to work well.

• With an ES-9, you can do reverse too, send CV to the iPad and convert it to MIDI. You can also do this using Befaco CV Thing too. Here, I'm sending modulation from Maths to Continua.

• Pulsar is a cv app that you need to get! It has sweet sequencer and is like unknown? Someone shout out pulsar...? Its like those other apps you said above, maybe top secret.....

• I still don't get dc coupled interface? Like are you talking usb audio type thing.....? thanks

• edited September 2020

@oceansinspace said:
    I still don't get dc coupled interface? Like are you talking usb audio type thing.....? thanks

It's like an audio interface without DC decoupling. In most cases you can DIY one by removing capacitors.
    Only do it if you can read schematics and know a thing about electronics!
    Depending on the supply voltage, the usable CV range can be limited but worth a try...

• After reading @rs2000’s explanation of removing capacitors I thought to myself, surely they would not bother with putting in such capacitors in a headphone dongle?

And I was right: you can use the Apple USB C to 3.5mm headphone adaptor to send CV. Just tried it via Drambo and it worked. Lol!

• @oceansinspace said:
    Pulsar is a cv app that you need to get! It has sweet sequencer and is like unknown? Someone shout out pulsar...? Its like those other apps you said above, maybe top secret.....

I see that you're pretty keen on Pulsar. But The only Pulsar I could find is an LFO Rack Extension for Reason on computers. Maybe it's changed its name. Can you please provide an App Store link to the current version?

• @auxmux said:
    With an ES-9, you can do reverse too, send CV to the iPad and convert it to MIDI. You can also do this using Befaco CV Thing too. Here, I'm sending modulation from Maths to Continua.

Nice.

I think the ES-8 has 4 inputs, so it could do some of this, but the 14 ins on the ES-9 allow a lot more options.

BTW is that a Morphagene next to the Maths?

• Here is a quick pulsar demo for iPad! https://youtu.be/zE2v-4nsYg4

• edited September 2020

Thanks @aplourde Yeah all the inputs on the ES-9 are pretty sweet. Yup, that's Morphagene just chilling above. You could extend your ES-8 using an ES-6.