Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is NanoStudio 2 going to be updated ever again? Resolved.

I remember when this was the most sought after app before Drambo. I bought it, enjoy it for aure but there are several things that were promised but it hasnt been updated in nearly a year.

Time to find a new DAW on the iPad?

Comments

• It’s definitely still being actively worked on. There will be gaps between updates, that’s always been the history of the app. It took forever for NS2 to appear in first place.

• It's a hobby project, that's how they go.

• Why not release Obsidian, an excellent synth, as standalone AUv3 to get more funding? Or join forces with some other developer?

• Somehow I feel we’ll get Logic for IPad before we get NS2 with audio tracks...

• Well i hope to see some updates. Its a great app as i said just dont like seeing quality like this abandoned

• Well since it’s being talked about, I just posted this question in CB2 thread, but can you record midi data from apps like Atom or ChordBud 2 into NS2 piano roll?

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    Well since it’s being talked about, I just posted this question in CB2 thread, but can you record midi data from apps like Atom or ChordBud 2 into NS2 piano roll?

Not directly. There are workarounds though.

• edited September 2020

Hobby or not, you should do things you planned on that roped people in to buy in the first place. Barring that, at least apologize and say “I don’t want to spend the time.” Thing was, I really liked NS2 too, it was MIDI made simple.

• edited September 2020

I think everyone needs to learn to be a little more gracious than crying 'abandonware' every time things go quiet for 6 months, and just learn to be grateful for what we already have.

Cubasis has all the might and financial backing of Steinberg, and it still updates at a snail's pace. Everyone said BM3 was dead, and yet there is a new beta currently being tested ready for release.

I can't imagine Matt from Blip would just abandon his magnum opus, but then again, he's probably burnt-out and deserves some downtime without accusations of 'adandonware'.

Show a little respect to our beloved devs, please. And learn not to buy any product (app or otherwise) based on future promises.

(nb - this post is not aimed at any individual)

• @tk32 said:
    I think everyone needs to learn to be a little more gracious than crying 'abandonware' every time things go quiet for 6 months, and just learn to be grateful for what we already have.

Cubasis has all the might and financial backing of Steinberg, and it still updates at a snail's pace. Everyone said BM3 was dead, and yet there is a new beta currently being tested ready for release.

I can't imagine Matt from Blip would just abandon his magnum opus, but then again Le , he's probably burnt-out and deserves some downtime without accusations of 'adandonware'.

Show a little respect to our beloved devs, please. And learn not to buy any product (app or otherwise) based on future promises.

(nb - this post is not aimed at any individual)

100% agree. All of it spot on. I think that’s why it’s one of the most stable apps on iOS. Seems Blip are very thorough and don’t release things until it’s stable and relatively bug-free. How many devs do that? I can wait.

• i wonder, if this is a question of time or funding

• edited September 2020

@oat_phipps said:
    Hobby or not, you should do things you planned on that roped people in to buy in the first place.

+1. And it's not a hobby, it's a BUSINESS. When you make stuff to sell, it becomes a PRODUCT.

I'm happy to make allowances for devs that make experiemental apps in their spare time and sell them for a fiver or a tenner. But when you get into thirty quid territory and promised extra functionality that hasn't materialised, I start feeling I've backed the wrong horse.

'Yes but Monzo...it works as advertised when you bought it blah blah' - yes but the chat on here wasn't about what it can do NOW, it was sold on its FUTURE POTENTIAL as a proper DAW. I don't want 'workarounds' for getting audio in, I want the audio tracks that were supposed to arrive a year ago.

@tk32 said:

every time things go quiet for 6 months,

12 months.

@tk32 said:

Show a little respect for the people who buy them. And if you think that 'future promises' might be more work than you think you'll actually be able to do, don't make them.

'Beloved devs'. Jesus H Corbett.

• edited September 2020

They are linked... development takes a lot of time, but you have to make living in the meantime... part time job will occupy your time...

edit:
    hence the push toward subscription model, but requires cultural shift from 'old school guys' and trust from newcomers... these threads pop up every now and then because that trust is wearing thin

• @Bill_Brasky said:

NS2 is possibly the best MIDI DAW on IOS for me. If you find another DAW that doesn’t crash, isn’t buggy, and not bogged down with dozens of not-quite-there features in a MIDI sequencer, can you tell me what it is? I thought I’d tried most, and they just about all fall short for me and usually on several fronts. With other DAWS - Cubasis, Gadget, Zenbeats, GarageBand, Genome, Modstep, Xequence, I often find many seemingly insignificant bugs (where workarounds become tedious and kill workflow) and frustrating annoyances once I start editing in earnest. NS2 is the cleanest and most stable for MIDI from my experience. Audio tracks not important to me and if it is to others, NS2 is probably the wrong tool for you. Personally, I’m hanging out for MIDI clock in & out for NS2.

• edited September 2020

I would buy in a second an IAP for midi clock in/out and audio tracks <3

• @niktu said:

@Bill_Brasky said:

NS2 is possibly the best MIDI DAW on IOS for me.

Best MIDI DAW without recording AU Midi.

:D

• @niktu said:

@Bill_Brasky said:

I really like NS2 but it doesn't even have midi clock out.

• edited September 2020

@tk32 said:
    And learn not to buy any product (app or otherwise) based on future promises.

Careful there... apart from few devs (interestingly never mentioned in such a discussion) that approach would kill the majority of releases.
    Probably both BM3 & NS2 would be actually abandoned by now.

edit:
    But I agree and do my part and sooner or later natural selection will kick in...

• @cyberheater said:

@niktu said:

@Bill_Brasky said:

I really like NS2 but it doesn't even have midi clock out.

This or Link Start Stop would make it useable for me.

• @OnfraySin said:

@niktu said:

@Bill_Brasky said:

Best MIDI DAW without recording AU Midi.

Gotta luv the smarmy snark. Well, that's a bugger, but not a deal breaker for me.

I've just been editing my first ever full song on NS2, and it by far beats everything I've tried for my workflow, in terms of stability and few bugs. Can you suggest anything better that isn't buggy, crashes or needs workarounds?

• The workaround for recording AU MIDI using MIDI Tools is so easy that I forget it's not a built-in feature of NS2.

Lack of AU effect automation and audio tracks are bigger gaps that are harder to fill, and I'm sad it's taken so long too. But still, the app works wonderfully for what it does do. If it never got another update again, I'd be bummed but would still consider my $30 (+ IAPs) well spent.

Apps are so freaking cheap (even the $30 ones), and so hard to make a living on as an independent developer, that it seems neither worth it nor fair to get worked up about slow updates.

• The market for iOS DAWs is not profitable, which is why we are where we are. Devs devote years of their life to making a DAW, and don't see enough of a return to justify the effort.

That's why development has slowed to a snail's pace with NS2, BM3, and Auria. There aren't enough sales and profit to justify continued full-time development, so the devs have to allocate time and resources on a more ad-hoc basis to keep the app alive, but this also means that it takes years for new features to appear, if ever.

It's no-one's fault, these are just the realities of being in a small niche market with low price expectations. Only companies like Korg or Steinberg can really afford to fund full-time teams, and that is presumably at a loss. Even Gadget updates have become rare though.

• @Samu said:
    Somehow I feel we’ll get Logic for IPad before we get NS2 with audio tracks...

So what you are saying is that chicken with ketchup is more delicious than a cat on a tree?

• Is this even a thing?

The developer has said that NS2 will gain audio tracks in the future. They work at the speed they work at and have mainly delivered solid software in the past, to my knowledge.

Unless they have specified a deadline then we just have to wait for their process to complete. Shouting and stamping of feet isn't going to have a positive effect in my experience.

You want the dev to shortcut how they develop their software?

• @richardyot said:
    The market for iOS DAWs is not profitable, which is why we are where we are. Devs devote years of their life to making a DAW, and don't see enough of a return to justify the effort.

That's why development has slowed to a snail's pace with NS2, BM3, and Auria. There aren't enough sales and profit to justify continued full-time development, so the devs have to allocate time and resources on a more ad-hoc basis to keep the app alive, but this also means that it takes years for new features to appear, if ever.

It's self-defeating though. If you're going to spend £30+ on an app, most people will check the update log to make sure they're not buying a turkey, and/or look for a developer that's at least active in the usual places: social media, and in particular their own forum (if they have one).

Create some new soundpacks or tweak the graphics, add some synth presets - respond to comments on forums like this - keep things ticking along and then threads like this won't get created, and people won't be put off buying your products.

That's all part of running a business, particularly one that's based entirely online. If you don't put the legwork in via the marketing side of things, then you can't moan about bad sales and blame customers for your lack of income.

• I can honestly saw that out of all the IOS daws I’ve tried, NS2 is the easiest, most stable and perhaps more importantly (for me at least), the least constricting. I’ve made more music in NS2 than any other daw, and If it takes the developer a long time to release audio track ability, then so be it. I’d rather Matt released a fully working product that had no problems than adopt the approach that many developers (not just those on IOS - I’m looking at YOU Microsoft) who have a habit of releasing software prematurely and then expecting us to find the bugs for them.

• @richardyot said:
    The market for iOS DAWs is not profitable, which is why we are where we are. Devs devote years of their life to making a DAW, and don't see enough of a return to justify the effort.

It's no-one's fault, these are just the realities of being in a small niche market with low price expectations. Only companies like Korg or Steinberg can really afford to fund full-time teams, and that is presumably at a loss. Even Gadget updates have become rare though.

this really does bring up a valid question for iOS DAWs. Are we willing to pay what needs to be paid in order to keep this apps updated in the way we’re used to with desktop daws? I mean, a $30 app already gets lots of moans from people, but if the cost went up to $99 with regular updates, would we be willing to cough that up to help keep these apps going?

Personally I agree that NS2 is the best operating DAW so far, so its a shame that it hasn’t been updated in so long. I would gladly pay a more competitive price to keep the DAW supported.

• edited September 2020

To all people who are on the side of this amazing ONE person developer team
    👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽🙏🏽🖤🙏🏽🤜🏼💥🤛🏼🙏🏽🖤🙏🏽👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

To all people who are crying, because the app doesn’t get an update since TEN Month (that was the last and it has given you STABLE DAW with an incredible synth inside, which you will not find in any other DAW
    😡😡😡🤬🤬🤬🤯🤯🤯🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮
    I can’t believe that I have to read these comments.

How long have you wait to have a stable Cubasis, from a good situated company?? And now what do you get, because they want to give this impatience people the next new version of cubasis 3?? You get a shit from them. You had to pay again for an unstable not even useful version for the exact same price again.

Who are you to criticize the developer of Nanostudio 2. He doesn’t want to give you any shit update, he’s going to make it perfect and I think it will be the best update you’ve ever see. Maybe it will end the first DAW wich comes close to a real desktop DAW. If he’s planning to give us what we really need I can wait TWO years with any update!

So...if you MATT BORSTE read this...don’t care about those people, please go on with your great work, take your time. There are a lot of great people out there who are patient and really happy if they get the next amazing update whenever it will come🙏🏽🖤🙏🏽

Sorry for this, but I could hold by myself...I didn’t expect something like this from the IOS COMMUNITY!

And if you are curious about this one man developer, please go and look the great docutorial from Jakob Haq and maybe you will understand what is behind Nanostudio and Blip Interactive😎
    To all of you...have a great day
    BoomBoom🙏🏽💥🙏🏽

• @MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

It's self-defeating though. If you're going to spend £30+ on an app, most people will check the update log to make sure they're not buying a turkey, and/or look for a developer that's at least active in the usual places: social media, and in particular their own forum (if they have one).

Create some new soundpacks or tweak the graphics, add some synth presets - respond to comments on forums like this - keep things ticking along and then threads like this won't get created, and people won't be put off buying your products.

That's all part of running a business, particularly one that's based entirely online. If you don't put the legwork in via the marketing side of things, then you can't moan about bad sales and blame customers for your lack of income.

All type of marketing leaves me cold, if something puts me off. That legwork is an empty gesture... I understand that it's important to many, so yeah, it's have to be done. I keep seeing big headlines from AK and I'm not interested even a little. Bram will drop something out of blue and I almost 100% sure I'll buy it. Quality, reliability speaks for itself. NS2 in my opinion is the top when it comes to iOS DAWs, great fundation, but it's lacking in many areas. I knew the dev is not a chatty type, but when there is a 'promise' a roadmap - and there was one - and it's not met, some sort of communication is a must... like you said, it's business.

I don't know if there is a good solution and that's why I think desktop DAW ports are pipe dreams. Korg and Steinberg competes with a one man band, and there is no clean winner... The only one who could do something about it is apple, but they're moving in the opposite direction for the past 10 years.

AB3, AUM and other modular approaches are the most suitable for this platform, so workload can be split and all involved can benefit from the sadly crumbs.

This discussion has been closed.