Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to easily send files from AUM on one device to another?

I know I have done this before but can't remember. Could someone remind me please? Cheers

Comments

• @Gavinski said:
    I know I have done this before but can't remember. Could someone remind me please? Cheers

Does Airdrop ring a bell - select and share AUM files from the files app then choose Airdrop - so long as you're on the same Apple ID on the other device it will appear as a destination.

• That’s what it was, thanks Nige!

• edited September 2020

Yes Files app sharing with airdrop is the best way, you can even do folders :)

• Is there any reason why AUM is not just syncing stuff between devices over iCloud? I’d really like that.

• @Gavinski said:
    Is there any reason why AUM is not just syncing stuff between devices over iCloud? I’d really like that.

Don't you think that could be tricky, depending on availability of apps/files on the different devices?

• That's very true actually, I guess I didn't think it through very well @uncledave 😅

• edited September 2020

I guess I’ve been doing it the hard way, copying and pasting from Files app to an iCloud folder also within Files, then go to the second device and access the file the same way. (Pasting the file back into the respective AUM folder)

Edit: I think having AudioShare installed helped with this, as far as there being AUM folders to copy from? I really don’t remember anything before AudioShare lol

Copying and pasting is how us Windows guys deal with things. I should have known Apple would have a more streamlined solution.

• Airdrop is really easy. As soon as you send one, it opens AUM and the session is live and ready to rock

• The only way to make AirDrop more cool would be the ability to do it over great distances via IP networks like the FTP protocol. Then we could just ask... can I get an AirDrop from you
    of that project?

I had a Dropbox experience lately where the transfer into DropBox got surfed and the whole
    lump of files disappeared for 24 hours with "waiting to upload" messages.

Does anyone run a public ftp or WebDav server to get large files? or is DropBox still the best option?

• edited April 2021

Useful thread. This has come onto my radar in the context of moving from ipad to iphone. 2 drivers:

1. I upgrade iphone far more regularly than ipad so phone is more powerful (and the gap is increasing)
    2. Lots of apps these days allow midi in and expose loads of params - if I’m driving things from my midi hardware (which I prefer) I don't need the ipad’s larger screen, screen only needed for initial configuration

Caveats are the app has to be iphone compatible plus apps that make full use of touchscreen are that bit less accessible. Then again I could integrate ipad into the setup with iphone being the main hub/workhorse... loads of possibilities with idevices, pretty damn flexible!

• Just found this thread… trying to move AUM projects from old Ipad to new, using Airdrop and it works fine for session files.
    But… where are AUM recordings stored? On the new Ipad the WAV files I use in the AUM File Player are missing?

• @GeoTony said:
    Just found this thread… trying to move AUM projects from old Ipad to new, using Airdrop and it works fine for session files.
    But… where are AUM recordings stored? On the new Ipad the WAV files I use in the AUM File Player are missing?

AudioShare / AUM Recordings
    Depending on your project preferences you should see a fairly organised file system there.

• @GeoTony said:
    Just found this thread… trying to move AUM projects from old Ipad to new, using Airdrop and it works fine for session files.

AUM recording are stored in a shared container between AUM and AudioShare.

In AUM you can tap on hamburger menu -> Files/Recordings long-tap on a folder to share it but I have a feeling you need to have AudioShare installed on the target device since AUM stores it's files in the shared container and without having AudioShare installed the storage provider is not visible as a destination in Files.app.

@j_liljedahl It would be really handy If AUM had an option to store its session audio files directly in the AUM folder in Files.app as this would make complete session+recordings sharing between devices a bit smoother.

Cheers!

• @GeoTony Also worth to note is the AUM file-player can use linked files so you may have to check where you imported the files from into your AUM session.

• Thanks @0tolerance4silence and @Samu , I think the challenge is that I don’t use Audioshare . I agree with your request to @j_liljedahl , it would make this activity a doddle. At the moment the only thing I can think of is moving all the internal (to AUM) recordings to Files, Airdropping them across and then, on the new Ipad, in the AUM session, re-linking the files to the now external (to AUM) files. It will work, just a bit of time and patience required. Something to do instead of watching repeats on the telly!

• I Jam on the bus home on iPhone… airdrop or files app to iPad for the heavy lifting later… great way to quickly sketch patches etc out!
    :)

• edited December 2021

@Samu said:

@GeoTony said:

AUM recording are stored in a shared container between AUM and AudioShare.

In AUM you can tap on hamburger menu -> Files/Recordings long-tap on a folder to share it but I have a feeling you need to have AudioShare installed on the target device since AUM stores it's files in the shared container and without having AudioShare installed the storage provider is not visible as a destination in Files.app.

@j_liljedahl It would be really handy If AUM had an option to store its session audio files directly in the AUM folder in Files.app as this would make complete session+recordings sharing between devices a bit smoother.

Yes, this is something I'm considering. Thought about it just the other day actually! Would be specially useful when I add iCloud drive sync.

Of course, such audio files would not be directly accessible in AudioShare though.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Of course, such audio files would not be directly accessible in AudioShare though.

They could be when AudioShare used the 'Document Picker' as the base for its operations like Auditor & Sample Crate do :wink:

• +1 for iCloud sync (or any other way of syncing between devices)

• @uncledave said:

@Gavinski said:
    Is there any reason why AUM is not just syncing stuff between devices over iCloud? I’d really like that.

Don't you think that could be tricky, depending on availability of apps/files on the different devices?

I don't see ANY problem with that!

An option to sync AUM projects over iCloud would be fantastic and make so many things more easy.

Either you have your standard Apps on all relevant devices, or opening a project would show you, which Apps are missing - AudioBus projects do the same.

BTW, iCloud sharing for AudioShare would be great too!

• @Samu said:

@j_liljedahl said:

They could be when AudioShare used the 'Document Picker' as the base for its operations like Auditor & Sample Crate do :wink:

Yes, I'm considering this for AudioShare 3, or a library where one can add references to files and folders from the document picker. I prefer making my own UI :)

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Yes, this is something I'm considering. Thought about it just the other day actually! Would be specially useful when I add iCloud drive sync.

Any sense of when iCloud Drive sync will be added? Will it be in AudioShare 3?

• Could someone tell me what a folder in AudioShare called “Bins” means? I noticed that a folder called “Bins” is in AudioShare on my iPad (though not in AudioShare on my iPhone). I have no memory of creating this folder and I don’t know what it means. Two recordings I made a year or two ago that I thought were lost were in the folder and I have no idea how they got there.

• @LeftyChris said:
    Could someone tell me what a folder in AudioShare called “Bins” means? I noticed that a folder called “Bins” is in AudioShare on my iPad (though not in AudioShare on my iPhone). I have no memory of creating this folder and I don’t know what it means. Two recordings I made a year or two ago that I thought were lost were in the folder and I have no idea how they got there.

Can’t say I’ve seen that before… sorry. Maybe someone else has seen it.

• edited January 2022

@LeftyChris said:
    Could someone tell me what a folder in AudioShare called “Bins” means?

Is it another name for "trash"?

Trash can is a USA term and garbage bin is UK (and here in Australia).

I have a "Trash" folder in AudioShare but not a "bins" folder.

Why not create a new file with an obvious name (like "Bins test") and delete it and see if it ends up in the bins folder.

• @Simon said:

@LeftyChris said:
    Could someone tell me what a folder in AudioShare called “Bins” means?

Is it another name for "trash"?

Trash can is a USA term and garbage bin is UK (and here in Australia).

I have a "Trash" folder in AudioShare but not a "bins" folder.

Why not create a new file with an obvious name (like "Bins test") and delete it and see if it ends up in the bins folder.

I wondered that at first too (I’m in the US but it occurred to me) but the Trash folder seems to be where deleted files always go. I’ve been using AudioShare for several years and that’s always been the case in my experience.

Since the folder name is “Bins” rather than “Bin,” it really is strange. Anyway, I tried deleting something and it went to the normal trash folder.

For what it’s worth, here are two screenshots of the folder and its contents. I forgot to say that the two recordings I found in “Bins” that I had made and thought lost were somehow given these extremely long names (I have no idea how).

• edited January 2022

I wonder if another app has created the bins folder automatically (magically?) when you saved something in that app.

Instead of calling it something that makes sense like "Gadget elements" or "Cubasis elements" it has just called it "bins"...?

• @Simon said:
    I wonder if another app has created the bins folder automatically (magically?) when you saved something in that app.

Instead of calling it something that makes sense like "Gadget elements" or "Cubasis elements" it has just called it "bins"...?

I had not thought of that - I wonder if that’s what happened. I don’t remember which app I used to make those two recordings so maybe that’s it. They were just casual audio recordings of piano improvisations. Sometimes I use AudioShare’s record function for that but I use other apps too.

• @Foleslaw said:
    +1 for iCloud sync (or any other way of syncing between devices)

iCloud Drive sync will make my life so much easier. Right now I use the iCloud feature in Readdle Documents and then I transfer from there to AudioShare on each device. Ends up being a lot of steps every time I want to have AudioShare be the same on all my devices.

If iCloud Drive sync is going to be in AudioShare 3, I’d gladly pay far more for A3 than he’s probably going to charge for it! 😀

• @LeftyChris said:

@Foleslaw said:
    +1 for iCloud sync (or any other way of syncing between devices)

iCloud Drive sync will make my life so much easier. Right now I use the iCloud feature in Readdle Documents and then I transfer from there to AudioShare on each device. Ends up being a lot of steps every time I want to have AudioShare be the same on all my devices.

If iCloud Drive sync is going to be in AudioShare 3, I’d gladly pay far more for A3 than he’s probably going to charge for it! 😀

up!