Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM crackles/DSM spikes

Very recently, AUM has been causing crackles and showing high DSP for the first 30 seconds I open a preset. I know that it's just been within the last week that something has changed because I use these presets all the time and they have never caused crackling like this before. What's odd is that the crackles and DSP settle down to "normal" after those 30 seconds of spikiness. I have systematically deleted apps to make sure it's not an app I updated that is the culprit. No dice. I can bring a preset all the way down to one app and I still see the spike for 30 seconds (albeit with no crackles because the DSP isn't relatively high). Two questions: (1) any ideas about what could be causing this? (2) If I delete and reinstall AUM, will I lose all my presets? (ie should I back them all up?)

Comments

• The most recent change in AU preset handling is the option to save presets in AU (instead of AUM) for plugins that support it. Since many don't, there could be some extra circles AUM has to run. I never had this issue, but I always saved everything (not that many, only few starting points) in AUM.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    The most recent change in AU preset handling is the option to save presets in AU (instead of AUM) for plugins that support it. Since many don't, there could be some extra circles AUM has to run. I never had this issue, but I always saved everything (not that many, only few starting points) in AUM.

Well, that's not the problem because I always save presets in AUM. But, the "extra circles" comment got me thinking about apps that might be the culprit and I think I've got it! I use AudioLayer quite a bit and it has a unique way that it uses iCloud storage rather than local storage, which very likely causes "extra circles" on load to sync up the playback samples. So, I just replaced AudioLayer in my preset with a lightweight synth (Poison 202) and voila! No spike. So, thanks for helping me think through root cause as I think I've got it... Now, I have to think about how to deal with AudioLayer being a pain in the butt.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    The most recent change in AU preset handling is the option to save presets in AU (instead of AUM) for plugins that support it. Since many don't, there could be some extra circles AUM has to run. I never had this issue, but I always saved everything (not that many, only few starting points) in AUM.

Well, that's not the problem because I always save presets in AUM. But, the "extra circles" comment got me thinking about apps that might be the culprit and I think I've got it! I use AudioLayer quite a bit and it has a unique way that it uses iCloud storage rather than local storage, which very likely causes "extra circles" on load to sync up the playback samples. So, I just replaced AudioLayer in my preset with a lightweight synth (Poison 202) and voila! No spike. So, thanks for helping me think through root cause as I think I've got it... Now, I have to think about how to deal with AudioLayer being a pain in the butt.

I find AudioLayer to be pretty lightweight but I only use the local storage option. If your iDevice is getting low on storage, some of your samples in the cloud might be shuffled off to the cloud rather than cached locally when using cloud storage.

• @espiegel123 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

I find AudioLayer to be pretty lightweight but I only use the local storage option. If your iDevice is getting low on storage, some of your samples in the cloud might be shuffled off to the cloud rather than cached locally when using cloud storage.

Thanks for the report. I just moved everything in AudioLayer to local storage and no more spikes and crackles!