Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Most fun hardware instrument you own

What musical item do you find most fun and inspirational? For me it’s a contest between the digitone and a game boy with nanoloop. OP-Z and digitakt also fun and immediate but not well versed enough in them yet

Comments

• The Roland SH-101 has never let me down.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Roland SH-3. No midi, no cv. Just classic analog synthesis. The lack of connectivity and the unique lefthand controls really made this an expressive and playable instrument - more-so than many modern synths imo. Has one of the musical filters in my collection too. I really love the wide faders and 3 way switches. My favorite trick with these old vintage synths is the way they handle transpose - they transpose immediately producing a jumping octave. This creates really cool possibilities for wide interval Frippian style melodic voicing, or easy arpeggiation without destroying your fingers. Unfortunately, modern synths always use transpose buttons which transpose on next key, which doesn't allow you to 'play' the controls in quite the same way. Shout out to the the Korg Minilogue's 4 octave VCO switches though, which get kind of close.

Beside that - definitely acoustic guitar. Nothing beats just picking up an an instrument and playing, no setup or accessories to worry about.

• edited September 2020

Clavia Nord Lead 3.
    I've had many synths but the only one that comes close in terms of fun is the KORG Wavestate.
    Wavestate has more sonic variety but the NL3 is by far the most fun to create new synth sounds on.

• edited September 2020

@jolico said:
    The Roland SH-101 has never let me down.

YES! My answer as well. Always makes me smile—and I've owned it since 1987 (2/3 of my life thus far, for those counting). A romance for the ages, ours.

I love that on a forum where it's very very easy to get obsessed with thenewshiny 50% of the answers (currently) to the question are about a 38 year old mono synth with no midi, no presets, no effects. And, zomg, no au version.

EDIT: Dang. Spent too long typing. Down to a mere 40% of answers by the time I hit Save. :) Though, if we count @aleyas's SH3 as a part of the fam, we're up to 60%. :+1:

• Count it! @syrupcore
    These SH share a common ancestry ;)

These old Rolands really did have the best performance sections though.

• O-Coast. I love modular because you get the tones between the notes. And cables. And discord, cacophony and all that stuff. (Yes, my poor neighbours)

I had to pair it with their Maths to really dig in and now Im getting, what I tell myself, are unusual usable sounds.

• @aleyas said:
    Count it! @syrupcore
    These SH share a common ancestry ;)

60% it is. :)

These old Rolands really did have the best performance sections though.

Agreed. Setting/tuning the pitch bend range to some relevant interval is a key part of playing the SH for me. Not so much with other synths. I think that's down to it being a physical slider right next to the pitch bender.

@aleyas said:
    My favorite trick with these old vintage synths is the way they handle transpose - they transpose immediately producing a jumping octave. This creates really cool possibilities for wide interval Frippian style melodic voicing, or easy arpeggiation without destroying your fingers.

Yes! I almost can't believe my transpose switch still works. Actively using it along with the VCO's octave switch (four position "Range" knob, really) introduces a whole lot of fun. The Arpeggiator and the Sequencer use the performance section's octave switch but they ignore the VCO switch. Which turns out to be a good thing.

Beside that - definitely acoustic guitar. Nothing beats just picking up an an instrument and playing, no setup or accessories to worry about.

Yes. Maybe we should start a band? :) My runner up would be a ukulele.

• I agree with the Rolands. When I had mine set up in the late 90s (no space for such big things now) I tended to have the Roland CSQ600 and SH09 sitting in front of me with everything else around those. The CSQ600 sequencer is just immense fun. Really, it’d be superb if there were a modern replica of it, it’s just so hands-on and improv-friendly. A contemporary replica of the Roland CSQ600. That’s what’s needed.

• bastl microgranny
    zoom st-224

• A volca drum lol. I thought I disliked it today but will see if I can get unusual sounds along with skiiid tommoz and maybe make a patch with volca modular. Its just been sitting around with the Krell patch. It might be worth keeping for its sound as its best to have synths that sound different, obviously.

• Seems the same as Drambo for sound but sometimes I think you could maybe sample, whilst the recording is in an effect loop, plus sub bass.

• I'm heading for Digitone Town as soon as possible. Actually can't wait to part ways with software.

• edited September 2020

Ensoniq EPS-16 Plus

It's a keyboard from the early 90s with sampler, sequencer and FX. It's amazing what you can make with just 2MB RAM (expanded from original 1MB!) and a small alpha-numeric display...

That's 2 MB not GB!

Each instrument has up to 8 layers and various performance controls and the keyboard action is lovely and it has polyphonic aftertouch and it can sequence up to 8 instruments. Each layer in each instrument can have up to 127 samples and it has a ton of great synthesis available for each sample including transwaves. To save memory, you could copy a wave sample's parameters only so basically point to the original and make a new sample that you could mangle with all the available options. Amazingly powerful for 1993 and still sounds great today.

• My old Fender Strat.

• My Trumpet

• My 8-string baritone acoustic guitar.

• +1 on the OG nanoloop.
    Roland V-Synth GT
    Quasimidi Polymorph
    Since my bday last month a Korg Volca Modular

• For me it's the Arturia MicroFreak, back in the days it used to be the Korg Electribe ES-1 which I still have...
    ...the NTS-1 is climbing up the ladder though, so fun to make random bleeps and sample them :D

• Beat Saber...plus I get a pretty good workout! 😈 😉

• I'm embarrassed to say - pocket operator... :s

• Used to be my trumpet now it’s my sax!

• My blackbox vs my baritone ukulele vs my shaman rattle

• @Artj said:
    I'm embarrassed to say - pocket operator... :s

Why? I always have fun with the PO-12. Also, the Volca sample. Both are quick and just fun. It’s when I start trying to make either do something too far outside of their comfort zones that the fun part starts evaporating.

• Also: Guild G75 (acoustic guitar)

• Novation Circuit - hands down.

• Kawai K5000W - Automating the formant filter to come up with random crazy shit I’ve never heard before.

Roland AX-Synth keytar - nuff said.

• Korg Trinity V3. I remember when it had the built in digital 4 track audio recorder, which connected to an external SCSI drive (remember those?😳) only thing that drive was as loud as a jet plane landing in the studio!😂 but the internal effects of the Trinity were among the best ever! The internal reverb sounded as good as Blackhole IMHO! This was back in the 90s. I sold all of my onboard options for my Trinity except the ADAT digital out on it. So i still have it in my closet for now but works like a dream! I remember the first time i saw it advertised on a misic magazine! I fore that page and dreamed of having it for years! That silver beast was selling for almost 4k back then!😳😳😳😳 Got mine used but it was sooo worth it.❤️❤️❤️❤️