Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

THU—Holy Grail for Fender sound

Comments

• @StormJH1 said:
    I've had a go with TH-U and picked up the Funk bundle and Fender Edge rig, which came highly recommended. I have to say that I've been a little disappointed so far, though it's tough to say how much of that is due to frustration over my own crummy playing, user error, or other factors.

Of the stuff I've tried so far, the Edge rigs were the most expensive purchase, but also probably the best tones I've been able to quickly achieve.

But I find the U.I. in the app pretty disorienting. I'm not exactly a gear novice - I've owned 100+ pedals, and have played through a lot of different tube/modeling combo amps. And I've used iOS modelers for guitar, in some form, since around 2013. My current "primary" way to play is with the Line6 HX Stomp. That's a $600, yes, but one that has replaced $1000's of other gear, and I really was hoping for an experience pretty close to that with various guitar apps in AUv3.

TH-U's layout was leading me to do incredibly silly things. I was listening to heads, thinking they were combo amps, so the resulting lack of cab simulation was predictably terrible. Once I figured out the preamp + cab issue, there was still quite a bit of fizziness through my head phones (Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO's). On HX Stomp, you also come across this at times, but the solution is usually to adjust the lo/hi cut to eliminate extreme frequencies. Not sure if I'm missing something similar on TH-U.

My levels are also all screwed up. I'm using a Apogee JAM, which has generally served me well. But I feel like i have the gain slider almost all the way down on that thing, in order not to clip into TH-U. Neither my input or output levels ever seem to be clipping, yet the sound quality sounds as if I am clipping, if that makes sense.

The THU-U and Nembrini apps were probably only going to be a secondary option for me anyway, but I'm definitely going to need to sort this out before I invest any more money into iOS effects or amp purchases. (I was blown away that Eventide was selling FX algorithms for $10 to $20 in AUv3 - very tempting). But so far, while there are some good tones, the clean/tube amps aren't there for me. Someone above mentioned Flying Haggis - that was by no means a "premium amp", but I swear that (now-abandoned) amp had better tube-like response and saturation than a lot of the stuff I've tried.

Not trying to be negative here - I trust that a lot of people have had great experiences with this stuff, and I still might as well. But I feel almost obligated to share some of the pitfalls/limitations so that there is some balance to the (overwhelmingly) positive experiences for paid content.

Have you tried any of the presets? Those are pretty great sounding and have different setups
    effects chains added already.

• One of the problems with amp presets in any sim is that the guitar being used has such a big impact. When I go to my friend's house and play through his Fuchs tube amp and we switch between guitars, much tweakage happens -- even switching between similar guitars with different pickups. The humbuckers on my guitar and my friends' are different enough that what sounds great with his guitar sounds like mud with mine.

I am also finding that some of the modeling amps are more sensitive to input gain than I expected -- so getting the input levels right makes a difference.

Someone else has reported that the level from the Apogee can be a bit hot. If you have AUM, it is worth doing some exploration with the meter at the top set to "hardware input' to see what the signal level is like. Someone else (with the dial on his Apogee all the way down) has found that he needs to set the input level from the interface (which is really output level from the interface) in the AUM settings to avoid digital clipping.

• @StormJH1 said:
    The THU-U and Nembrini apps were probably only going to be a secondary option for me anyway

So, what's your go to? Your primary. 'cause I want me some of that sweet jelly.

• McDMcD
    edited September 2020

@Wrecked said:
    I was bought up with valve amps, no trickery just plug in and that’s that.

Yeah, i hear that... the IOS piano apps don't quite give me the "goosies" I got from my 7' 9" Petrof Concert Grand. Ravenscroft 275 is a toy people... a joke on the piano playing elite.

I had to sell the Petrof in a downsizing exercise and a music educator gave me $25K and felt guilty about it.

I feel good that it would be used in his home studio and he sends me recordings of people playing the shit out of it. I would like to hear those recordings with a good MIDI controller into an iPad. I get they still sound pretty damn good. Maybe even better than the Petrof because it was pretty dark and sometimes a brighter tone works better in a mix.

I've got $20 that says @flo26 is digging these IOS apps because he's stuck in an apartment and can't play his amp for a while. Make that $1... but still a good bet.

• @McD said:

@Wrecked said:
    I was bought up with valve amps, no trickery just plug in and that’s that.

Yeah, i hear that... the IOS piano apps don't quite give me the "goosies" I got from my 7' 9" Petrof Concert Grand. Ravenscroft 275 is a toy people... a joke on the piano playing elite.

I had to sell the Petrof in a downsizing exercise and a music educator gave me $25K and felt guilty about it.

I feel good that it would be used in his home studio and he sends me recordings of people playing the shit out of it. I would like to hear those recordings with a good MIDI controller into an iPad. I get they still sound pretty damn good. Maybe even better than the Petrof because it was pretty dark and sometimes a brighter tone works better in a mix.

I've got $20 that says @flo26 is digging these IOS apps because he's stuck in an apartment and can't play his amp for a while. Make that $1... but still a good bet.

I I get your point, it’s not going to happen and I shouldn’t expect it too. It’s great to have these sims, all these pianos etc in an IPad, I don’t use the amps much at all now, I’m past all that, they’re to sodding heavy and expensive to repair, so I off loaded them whilst they’re still worth something apart from the two mentioned. Like I say, my days testing has came to an abrupt standstill just as I started setting up, so my conclusions remain open! I got a feeling the Nebrini might just get me! Maybe tomorrow.

• @Wrecked said:
    I I get your point, it’s not going to happen and I shouldn’t expect it too.

What is NOT going to happen? You're not going to get a good live feeling? Because the recordings
    are OK.

I don’t use the amps much at all now, I’m past all that, they’re to sodding heavy and expensive to repair

OH. You must be using the great Desktop Plug-ins... is that it? Because the pianos on my Mac make RC 275 look like a toy in comparison. I totally get that IOS doesn't have competitive plug-ins for pros studio uses.

I'm just looking for context on your review. Where are you coming from. TH-U is truly awesome in it's context but there are other options in the world of recording. I get that. It's like you're checking on on the buzz and saying "meh". Not there yet and that's certainly fair. @flo26 initially downloaded TH-U and wrote... I don't like it and went back to GE Labs for several weeks. Context is key. Sometimes we're just not in the right place to appreciate an app.

• I used the amps in live setting mostly, recordings were done in one take in my mates barn! I don’t use a computer for music!
    I have no views on G labs or TH or Nebrini. I have not yet tried them! I did just point that out! I’d like or rather hope that any or all of these will get me back into the iPad world of recording, just me, with guitars and so- forth! The other sims apart from Flying Haggis Didn’t quite do it for me. Bias amp came close, just that on its own! So I’m not into recording on a pro level whatsoever, if I do any type if live recording with a band it’s the barn!

• Cool! Just trying to figure out where you're coming from.
    I wasn't getting a "no computers" vibe but that's useful to gauge your input.

No opinions are wrong... but sometimes they are unclear and I always have questions.
    I'm pretty well known for being nosey around here and a bit of an asshole. But it's mostly curiousity
    like the kid that asks a million questions.

"Flying Haggis" isn't AUv3 so I'm not going to bother. AUv3 is a computer thing that's kind of like
    the metric system... love it or hate it. It's a standard. IAA is like the English system. And some people
    eyeball it. It's all art.

• @McD said:
    Cool! Just trying to figure out where you're coming from.
    I wasn't getting a "no computers" vibe but that's useful to gauge your input.

No opinions are wrong... but sometimes they are unclear and I always have questions.
    I'm pretty well known for being nosey around here and a bit of an asshole. But it's mostly curiousity
    like the kid that asks a million questions.

"Flying Haggis" isn't AUv3 so I'm not going to bother. AUv3 is a computer thing that's kind of like
    the metric system... love it or hate it. It's a standard. IAA is like the English system. And some people
    eyeball it. It's all art.

I enjoy your nosey ness. Flying Haggis is no more, it was never AUV3, it’s departure was sudden many years ago. The forum did question the disappearance but the answers were vague. It may exist in the computer world? I had complicated Hand surgery 18 months ago and I thought I was finished on guitar for good, I’m only now slowly playing again, tentative steps you may say, unfortunately I have to have more surgery in a year or so on the same hand. I’m doing ok with guitars but not for long periods, I’m determined to get somewhere nr my old chops and these new sims have came at the correct time, I shall endeavour to try them out when I feel like it, which was earlier but now it’s past!

• If anyone still has Flying Haggis on a device, I'd love to hear a recording made with it.

• @Wrecked said:
    I had complicated Hand surgery 18 months ago and I thought I was finished on guitar for good

Which hand? Fret or pick? This might be a good time to master some dobro techniques or try to be
    Jeff Healey. Just close your eyes and play.

• edited September 2020

@espiegel123 said:
    One of the problems with amp presets in any sim is that the guitar being used has such a big impact. When I go to my friend's house and play through his Fuchs tube amp and we switch between guitars, much tweakage happens -- even switching between similar guitars with different pickups. The humbuckers on my guitar and my friends' are different enough that what sounds great with his guitar sounds like mud with mine.

I am also finding that some of the modeling amps are more sensitive to input gain than I expected -- so getting the input levels right makes a difference.

Someone else has reported that the level from the Apogee can be a bit hot. If you have AUM, it is worth doing some exploration with the meter at the top set to "hardware input' to see what the signal level is like. Someone else (with the dial on his Apogee all the way down) has found that he needs to set the input level from the interface (which is really output level from the interface) in the AUM settings to avoid digital clipping.

With my guitar in the neck position, there is not a single preset in Nembrini or Overloud that I can use without majorly adjusting the presence, treble, and bass on the amps, otherwise it’s way too muffled and the sympathetic bass frequencies rattle my headphones. In the bridge position the presets are all more or less great. Not so much with Nembrini, specifically I have to turn down the input gain in the rack section of all their amps at least 60-90 degrees.

However I think that presets are extremely important as a reference, it’s basically Overloud telling you how they want you to use their app. By studying presets the learning curve becomes much easier, for example it’s how I learned that the bass amps sound better with the OB Tweed guitar cab and that you should use the splitter and mixer in between bass cabs. I also think that a lot of the amps in Overloud are preset in a sweet spot, and often I get a good tone as soon as I load it. Nembrini gets much better results when you shape from scratch.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    With my guitar in the neck position

When I put my guitar in the "neck position" I can't reach the 1st fret. But it's much easier to bow.
    I can only do it for about 2 minutes and my neck gives out. I'm going to try the Cello position
    or the Missionary position.

• @Bootsy said:

Have you tried any of the presets? Those are pretty great sounding and have different setups
    effects chains added already.

I have not, and that's a good suggestion. While I hate presets almost all of the time, studying them is a good way to figure out tricks and settings that work for your setup. I'll have to look into where to download those, as I know it was discussed in this and other threads.

@espiegel123 said:

Thanks. I should mention that I have a Behringer UMC204HD as my audio interface for synths and stuff, so I could certainly that instead. Encouraging to hear that I was not the only one. What is strange about it is that the input "gauge" in TH-U does not necessarily indicate my input is too hot, but in the past when I've used PG, ToneStack, etc, I was definitely in a middle setting on that Apogee dial, and now have to use it basically at zero. There could certainly be a settings issue on my end, which is why I was careful not to bash the TH-U app itself. I can tell there's quality in there.

@McD said:

So, what's your go to? Your primary. 'cause I want me some of that sweet jelly.

Sorry, I could have been more clear - I meant that my preferred way to play through headphones or a FRFR speaker was my Line6 HX Stomp. So it's probably not that useful to compare them, since the HXS isn't an iOS app, although it is a class compliant audio interface, so even if the amp sims don't work for me, I've considered running it as an AUv3 input and checking out a few of the Nembrini and Eventide effects to go with it. That would also free my iPad from doing the amp and IR processing, although I wasn't necessary encountering CPU issues thus far.

The funny thing with all modelers is that if we're being honest, most of us have one or two "Holy Grail" tones in our head, and our ability to get to those specific tones colors our thoughts on the entire ecosystem. So with Helix, there's obviously dozens of models ranging from clean jazz to metal, but like 80% of my enjoyment of the HX Stomp has to do with how much I like the Vox/Matchless models, as modified by one particular effect (Boost Comp). Take that one thing away, and I'd enjoy the HXS a lot less, despite all it has to offer on paper. Maybe I'll make that type of discovery on TH-U, given more time.

• @StormJH1 said:
    I've had a go with TH-U and picked up the Funk bundle and Fender Edge rig, which came highly recommended. I have to say that I've been a little disappointed so far, though it's tough to say how much of that is due to frustration over my own crummy playing, user error, or other factors.

Of the stuff I've tried so far, the Edge rigs were the most expensive purchase, but also probably the best tones I've been able to quickly achieve.

But I find the U.I. in the app pretty disorienting. I'm not exactly a gear novice - I've owned 100+ pedals, and have played through a lot of different tube/modeling combo amps. And I've used iOS modelers for guitar, in some form, since around 2013. My current "primary" way to play is with the Line6 HX Stomp. That's a $600, yes, but one that has replaced $1000's of other gear, and I really was hoping for an experience pretty close to that with various guitar apps in AUv3.

TH-U's layout was leading me to do incredibly silly things. I was listening to heads, thinking they were combo amps, so the resulting lack of cab simulation was predictably terrible. Once I figured out the preamp + cab issue, there was still quite a bit of fizziness through my head phones (Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO's). On HX Stomp, you also come across this at times, but the solution is usually to adjust the lo/hi cut to eliminate extreme frequencies. Not sure if I'm missing something similar on TH-U.

My levels are also all screwed up. I'm using a Apogee JAM, which has generally served me well. But I feel like i have the gain slider almost all the way down on that thing, in order not to clip into TH-U. Neither my input or output levels ever seem to be clipping, yet the sound quality sounds as if I am clipping, if that makes sense.

The THU-U and Nembrini apps were probably only going to be a secondary option for me anyway, but I'm definitely going to need to sort this out before I invest any more money into iOS effects or amp purchases. (I was blown away that Eventide was selling FX algorithms for $10 to $20 in AUv3 - very tempting). But so far, while there are some good tones, the clean/tube amps aren't there for me. Someone above mentioned Flying Haggis - that was by no means a "premium amp", but I swear that (now-abandoned) amp had better tube-like response and saturation than a lot of the stuff I've tried.

Not trying to be negative here - I trust that a lot of people have had great experiences with this stuff, and I still might as well. But I feel almost obligated to share some of the pitfalls/limitations so that there is some balance to the (overwhelmingly) positive experiences for paid content.

Your frustration is valid, I do think you’ll be much more satisfied with some adjustments. Studying their presets helped me understand how they want you to build the chain. Yes it’s confusing that rigs come pre loaded with a cab and sims don’t. Further complicating matter is that some of these sims and rigs are actually combos in real life, like The Edge, but Overloud approaches them all as heads.

If the left meter in Overloud is constantly showing in the upper third and goes into the red when you play hard then your input is too hot, as I have learned. The right meter in Overloud, which is the output meter, could still be in the upper portion and you won’t get any obvious distortion, but if the left meter is always high then the Apogee or your pickups are coming in too hot. I load up Overloud in AUM now and lower AUM’s input gain to 30%-50%, and this makes the left meter in Overloud sit comfortably just above the halfway point. And for the output, I go into the Overloud Master menu in the upper left, where the tuner is, and I set the master volume to around -8db. You can also set the sensitivity to “high” and lower the master volume more to taste. So if you solidify your input gain, your master output, and study the factory presets, I think you would be much happier!

• edited September 2020

FWIW, I actually love the UI in Overloud, there’s something really intuitive about it for me, from using a side menu to adjust the amp, to zooming in and out on the screen and pressing the + in all its possible locations to play with the chain. Also the simplicity of Nembrini with just one amp per app is great to me, but they could use some in house midi capability. I was actually confused by the UI in Bias and Ge Labs.

• @Wrecked said:
    I used the amps in live setting mostly, recordings were done in one take in my mates barn! I don’t use a computer for music!
    I have no views on G labs or TH or Nebrini. I have not yet tried them! I did just point that out! I’d like or rather hope that any or all of these will get me back into the iPad world of recording, just me, with guitars and so- forth! The other sims apart from Flying Haggis Didn’t quite do it for me. Bias amp came close, just that on its own! So I’m not into recording on a pro level whatsoever, if I do any type if live recording with a band it’s the barn!

I remember using Flying Haggis in 2014 and thought even at that time that there had to be a more sophisticated amp sim I should be using than that one. Maybe it's because I paid like $10 for it, whereas Positive Grid offered these huge suites with dozens of amps and effects you could pay for.

But it's too bad they let it die, because Flying Haggis was basically a ported VST plugin, and does everything a great plugin should do. It was super straightforward and accessible, and what I really remember about it was that built in compression knob and the handful of "cabinets" you could swap in and out. I'm sure a sophisticated player would sit down with that app and be able to find the "seams" in it, but I just thought it sounded great - like a sparkly, cranked tube amp you could run at any volume. I'd love to recreate that tone in an AUv3 setting.

• @McD said:

@Wrecked said:
    I had complicated Hand surgery 18 months ago and I thought I was finished on guitar for good

Which hand? Fret or pick? This might be a good time to master some dobro techniques or try to be
    Jeff Healey. Just close your eyes and play.

Pick, luckily! The weird thing about it was, my hand was stuck like I had a plectrum connected to my thumb and finger, so I could still play, but couldn’t open doors or wash my hair face, bizarre Viking disease! During the recovery I got addicted to synths on the iPad, just using a finger and exploration of sound, so I got into electronic music making for a year, missed the guitar though! Now I’ve got to many synths, I’m interested in that grand piano app, I only use GB so I would hope it works in that, I’m afraid piano is another not quite there for me yet. I’m not buying the big boy stuff, it’s too big in the storage dept, but that new one

FWIW, I actually love the UI in Overloud, there’s something really intuitive about it for me, from using a side menu to adjust the amp, to zooming in and out on the screen and pressing the + in all its possible locations to play with the chain. I was actually confused by the UI in Bias and Ge Labs.

There's nothing wrong with it, and you could argue that you're better off relegating all the controls to uniform slider bars unless you can get the visual knobs on the pictures of the models to lay out and function just right. It wasn't shocking to me because I used to use another app nobody mentions anymore (AmpKit, I think?) that had a similar layout.

What screws me up more in TH-U is when you have to navigate from one "block" in the chain to another. At times it looks like you should be able to drag your finger and slide over, but then if you are looking at the settings for a particular block, you might actually need to "X" out of that and then move over. Again, a lot of ignorance and user error to blame on my part, but with my limited time to do anything iOS music related, I want to plug in and go, and I had issues in Overloud that I didn't in some of the other apps. That's all. If I got it to sound better, I'd be happy to learn it or work around it.

• @StormJH1 said:

@Wrecked said:
    I used the amps in live setting mostly, recordings were done in one take in my mates barn! I don’t use a computer for music!

I remember using Flying Haggis in 2014 and thought even at that time that there had to be a more sophisticated amp sim I should be using than that one. Maybe it's because I paid like $10 for it, whereas Positive Grid offered these huge suites with dozens of amps and effects you could pay for.

But it's too bad they let it die, because Flying Haggis was basically a ported VST plugin, and does everything a great plugin should do. It was super straightforward and accessible, and what I really remember about it was that built in compression knob and the handful of "cabinets" you could swap in and out. I'm sure a sophisticated player would sit down with that app and be able to find the "seams" in it, but I just thought it sounded great - like a sparkly, cranked tube amp you could run at any volume. I'd love to recreate that tone in an AUv3 setting.

It was the simplicity of it and the sound that got me! I agree with you on this! I must admit I was shocked and un happy when it went, I’ve since found nothing as good apart which wasn’t as good the original Bias Amp but when that got mixed sort of, in with Bias Fx? I gave up! Flying Haggis was always well regarded on here, just shows how long I’ve been visiting this informative and friendly forum. And, how long I’ve been messing about in IOS.

• F H did that country twang with a touch of break up with ease, like to find that again. Also I got that Neil Young Crazy Horse type distortion with it, Plus Mike Campbell’s Fender tone and Tom Petty’s rhythm Sound! All on one page or maybe two! That’s why when it went I could of cried!

• edited September 2020

@StormJH1 said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:
    FWIW, I actually love the UI in Overloud, there’s something really intuitive about it for me, from using a side menu to adjust the amp, to zooming in and out on the screen and pressing the + in all its possible locations to play with the chain. I was actually confused by the UI in Bias and Ge Labs.

There's nothing wrong with it, and you could argue that you're better off relegating all the controls to uniform slider bars unless you can get the visual knobs on the pictures of the models to lay out and function just right. It wasn't shocking to me because I used to use another app nobody mentions anymore (AmpKit, I think?) that had a similar layout.

What screws me up more in TH-U is when you have to navigate from one "block" in the chain to another. At times it looks like you should be able to drag your finger and slide over, but then if you are looking at the settings for a particular block, you might actually need to "X" out of that and then move over. Again, a lot of ignorance and user error to blame on my part, but with my limited time to do anything iOS music related, I want to plug in and go, and I had issues in Overloud that I didn't in some of the other apps. That's all. If I got it to sound better, I'd be happy to learn it or work around it.

Yes I’ve just gotten used to zooming out with two fingers as the first thing I do before moving around in the chain. And long press on a component to have the option of deleting or it moving it, and then just seeing all the + buttons around where I CAN add stuff. The disorienting thing is the + buttons appear in random places with different components, and every time you add something it just zooms in on it. It probably should be all zoomed out by default, but on some devices that could look too miniature.

Also with the Apogee you have to turn the knob to minimum every time you adjust input gain or sample rate. Turning down the input gain in AUM or MTD or whatever DAW you’re using will give you more headroom, so the clean Edge rigs will be cleaner and the breaky ones will be less distorted.

• edited September 2020

I strongly believe that this is the future of live performing, not just recording. Apps like Overloud and Ge Labs have great midi mapping, Bias has also implemented it. Maybe Nembrini will get its own rig loader, but it can be toggled with midi in AUM. The important thing is for these apps to be stable standalone and as AUv3. So you get an audio interface like the XTone Pro for $250 on the ground, not only does it have 6 midi footswitches programmable with at least 18 combinations like a pedal board and an expression pedal in, but it has XLR out, monitor L/R out, and headphone out, and another in with phantom power plus a midi in/out. So with your favorite guitar rig and pedals all mapped out, you’re going into the the house PA with the xlr out, and monitoring yourself onstage simultaneously. Without a PA you just plug into a good speaker on stage. The point is this is all cheaper than a heavy $1,000-$2,000 tube amp, or Kemper, or a Line 6, and you literally have an entire world of tone in your iPad/iPhone clipped to a stand in front of you. Can use outside apps and fx in the chain, beats, mix busses, record it, whatever! Things you couldn’t dream of without the iPad and with just a hardware modeler. Lots of times a guitar amp is mic’d and sent to PA anyway. Just an amp on stage is too beamy of a sound and not omnipresent for the audience. So being able to send your rig out to a PA or at least using a good all purpose multi directional speaker... this is the future, Overloud etc with iPad/iPhone on your mic stand, not a laptop. Interface out into the house and your stage monitor, that’s it! Portable and awesome, and with today’s tech the tone and responsiveness can compete with real amps. Plus you get to fuse your recording and performing set up together. Sure nothing is cheaper than a used Fender Hot Rod or something, but nobody wants to lug that shit around anymore and fear tubes breaking. Guitar, iPad, interface, basta. If you’re playing house shows with your one amazing combo amp then I say rock on! I did it my whole life with a Trem-O-Verb 2x12 combo and later with an old Music Man head with 4x12 matching cab, my vertebrae remembers. The iOS way is really viable these days....

I strongly believe that this is the future of live performing, not just recording. Apps like Overloud and Ge Labs have great midi mapping, Bias has also implemented it. Maybe Nembrini will get its own rig loader, but it can be toggled with midi in AUM. The important thing is for these apps to be stable standalone and as AUv3. So you get an audio interface like the XTone Pro for $250 on the ground, not only does it have 6 midi footswitches programmable with at least 18 combinations like a pedal board and an expression pedal in, but it has XLR out, monitor L/R out, and headphone out, and another in with phantom power plus a midi in/out. So with your favorite guitar rig and pedals all mapped out, you’re going into the the house PA with the xlr out, and monitoring yourself onstage simultaneously. Without a PA you just plug into a good speaker on stage. The point is this is all cheaper than a heavy $1,000-$2,000 tube amp, or Kemper, or a Line 6, and you literally have an entire world of tone in your iPad/iPhone clipped to a stand in front of you. Can use outside apps and fx in the chain, beats, mix busses, record it, whatever! Things you couldn’t dream of without the iPad and with just a hardware modeler. Lots of times a guitar amp is mic’d and sent to PA anyway. Just an amp on stage is too beamy of a sound and not omnipresent for the audience. So being able to send your rig out to a PA or at least using a good all purpose multi directional speaker... this is the future, Overloud etc with iPad/iPhone on your mic stand, not a laptop. Interface out into the house and your stage monitor, that’s it! Portable and awesome, and with today’s tech the tone and responsiveness can compete with real amps. Plus you get to fuse your recording and performing set up together. Sure nothing is cheaper than a used Fender Hot Rod or something, but nobody wants to lug that shit around anymore and fear tubes breaking. Guitar, iPad, interface, basta. If you’re playing house shows with your one amazing combo amp then I say rock on! I did it my whole life with a Trem-O-Verb 2x12 combo and later with an old Music Man head with 4x12 matching cab, my vertebrae remembers. The iOS way is really viable these days....

This is what I’ve been trying to do since 2003

• @audiobussy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

But this year will be different!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@audiobussy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

You laugh

• edited September 2020

@lukesleepwalker said:

@audiobussy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

Please read thread title! These rigs are better than the amps themselves

(And I got a new 1TB iPad Pro — 3rd gen with cellular — this week. My other iPad Pro is a tad under powered for this goal but otherwise awesome)

• Just want to take a minute to see how overjoyed I am that THU kicks ass.

For years, I used one of their earlier simulations simply because of its deep integration with Auria (Along with the entire Fab suite)

• edited September 2020

Now Eventide. Nembrini. ToneBoosters. Koala. Drambo. Bop pads. Weighted piano. Roli.

Plus Midi Guitar, GeoShred, modeled instruments, BramBos. FabFilter. ddmf. FAC. Modular sequencers. Etc

Shit’s getting crazy

• In all seriousness though, one can save a ton of CPU by doing the vast majority of your guitar stuff — if not all of it — in THU