Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midisteps auv3

Comments

• Swueeeeet!

• Vid will be forthcoming. Art Kerns is the man! Huge fan of his stuff and yes @white you'll be getting a free copy for guessing correctly that this was the IAA that was about to get the AUv3 treatment!

• In tje event that you have it already, which I fear is likely, feel free to nominate someone else to get your code 🤪

• @Gavinski said:
    In tje event that you have it already, which I fear is likely, feel free to nominate someone else to get your code 🤪

Amazing. Tutorial will be epic. Now we only wait Senode to get the auv3 treatment.

• If I recall correctly the midiSTEPs was one of the first AUv3 hosts :)
    Always like the sequencer and now as an AUv3 it's dA BOMb!

• @samu interested to hear your expert opinion about the benefits of this compared to other midi sequencers!

• @Gavinski said:
    Vid will be forthcoming. Art Kerns is the man! Huge fan of his stuff and yes @white you'll be getting a free copy for guessing correctly that this was the IAA that was about to get the AUv3 treatment!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to try it in AUM 😊 👍

• Yesss!!!

I was just thinking about this one the other day after having spent days and days with the miRack sequencers and feeling like nothing works quite the way I'd like, then getting back to Rozeta Cells, and deciding it has some great uses, but isn't what I'm looking for. By that point I realized what I was really comparing them to in some ways is midiSTEPs. I remembered it was coming and wondered when.

• @Gavinski said:
    @samu interested to hear your expert opinion about the benefits of this compared to other midi sequencers!

For me it's the SH-101 style step recording with tie & rest that makes it fun to use.
    This could be seen as 'Rozeta Cells' on 'roids.

I'll give the AUv3 a deeper spin tomorrow and see if it does pattern switching over midi, transpose is already there.
    Over all it reminds me of the sequencer on the MicroFreak which I love to fool around with :)

• @White said:

@Gavinski said:
    Vid will be forthcoming. Art Kerns is the man! Huge fan of his stuff and yes @white you'll be getting a free copy for guessing correctly that this was the IAA that was about to get the AUv3 treatment!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to try it in AUM 😊 👍

I'm glad you don't have it so will get your just reward! You'll have to wait til I make the vid and ask Art for the codes, but it'll be in tje next few days for sure.

• @Samu said:

@Gavinski said:
    @samu interested to hear your expert opinion about the benefits of this compared to other midi sequencers!

For me it's the SH-101 style step recording with tie & rest that makes it fun to use.
    This could be seen as 'Rozeta Cells' on 'roids.

I'll give the AUv3 a deeper spin tomorrow and see if it does pattern switching over midi, transpose is already there.
    Over all it reminds me of the sequencer on the MicroFreak which I love to fool around with :)

Thanks Samu!
    @wim what do you most like about midiSTEPs?

• Well, this is an awesome surprise! 🎉 👏 Off to investigate..

• That's great news, yes Art's apps are excellent and this will be most useful as an audio unit. Hope he's got more apps planned after this :)

• This was way more fun than I expected but I need to get some sleep now...
    In control mode it’s possible to transpose and select the sequence, probability per step is nice too. Midi panic is in the midi pop up in case gates get too long or messed up :D

Need to update my rating on the Appstore, solid 5 stars!

• Wowzee wowzee my favorite sequencer turned AUv3!
    O appoholic, Stand !

• One feature that is easy to miss is long tap on a step when in rec mode to access more per step parameters. It’s also possible to add multiple notes per step but not toggle them on/off one by one. Rec in overwrite mode is nice prety neat too.

Don’t know if there’s any manual for midiSTEPs but it’s quite easy to get by playing with it.

• @Samu said:
    One feature that is easy to miss is long tap on a step when in rec mode to access more per step parameters. It’s also possible to add multiple notes per step but not toggle them on/off one by one. Rec in overwrite mode is nice prety neat too.

Don’t know if there’s any manual for midiSTEPs but it’s quite easy to get by playing with it.

Yes, there is a manual here:

midisteps Manual

• Just needs Ableton Link but a very welcome addition. . Just tried midi into MidiSTEPs using Chordbud2 getting some unexpected results !

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Just needs Ableton Link but a very welcome addition. . Just tried midi into MidiSTEPs using Chordbud2 getting some unexpected results !

Yikes! No link? Is there midi clock? I’m not by my ipad

• @Gavinski said:
    @wim what do you most like about midiSTEPs?

Lately I've been doing a lot more of just setting up quick "performance" jams. I don't want to spend a bunch of time setting up something like LK or even dealing with a piano roll at all. I just want to get some notes down quickly in patterns, then be able to copy them to other patterns, do quick variations on those, then shift between them easily.

Drambo works really well for this, but copying, editing, changing patterns is a little more involved (though you have tons more control). midiSTEPs takes some of the flexibility out of main view, which encourages a quicker, more intuitive workflow for me.

But the biggest advantage with midiSteps is the handy visual of the notes on each step. For some reason, seeing the pattern as it plays helps me to visualize what I want to change - the combination of the visual + the sound just clicks with me, and I know exactly what I want to do. Yes, you can see all that in a piano roll, but this is less clutter, and seeing the note names works better for me.

I don't care for it as a drum sequencer, but for melodic stuff it's great. It just releases a different kind of creativity in me ... it's hard to put into words. ;)

I'm also going to do some experimentation to see if it works well as a midi-looper a'la loopy but for midi. That might not work out, but I'm gonna give it a try.

All parameters exposed in AUM too! Nice.

• @Gavinski said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Just needs Ableton Link but a very welcome addition. . Just tried midi into MidiSTEPs using Chordbud2 getting some unexpected results !

It doesn't need link if it's running as an AU. It syncs to the host.

But ... the standalone does have Link. Just not Link Start/Stop.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

There's a bug in the AUv3 with the Sync pattern change type. Set it for anything (bar, step, etc) and it starts counting down from some ridiculously high number instead of counting down the beats or whatever. Does anyone know if @artkerns is checking in here, or how best to get ahold of him?

• edited September 2020

@Gavinski said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Yes midi clock is there. It can run off the host. Standalone does have link.

• edited September 2020

Beautiful... but can’t find the scale feature...

Edit.. Auv3

• edited September 2020

This is a interesting combo. Now you can sequence your chord pads.

• @Gavinski said:

@Jumpercollins said:

No real need for link when used as an AUv3 in a host that already has link...