Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

THU—Holy Grail for Fender sound

Comments

• @audiobussy said:
    @richardyot and someone posted a thread the other day asking, why not use BIAS? At this point, it sucks.

Yes all the amps in BIAS sound too bright and brittle to me. I spent ages making my own custom amp to try and get a nicer tone, which also uses the Celestion IR IAPs, but compared to some of the more recent arrivals it just doesn't hold up. There's this nasty grainy quality to the high-end.

TH-U is definitely my go-to clean sound for now, but GS Vintage Clean also sounds great. The Cali Reverb is a bit muddy compared to the others (but maybe one man's mud is another man's warmth).

• @richardyot said:
    Here's a quick comparison of the free TH-U Fender Twin, vs the Overloud TH-U with the Choptones Fender Super Reverb IAP rig vs Gain Stage Vintage Clean using the American Standard preset vs BIAS Amp using a custom amp to get a warm clean tone vs Nembrini Cali Reverb on the clean channel.

Both TH-U options are the best to my ears, followed by GS Vintage Clean. BIAS sounds horrible to me. YMMV.

At last, somebody playing simple chords! Ok here goes. 1 Vintage clean, 2 The Fender chop, 3 the free one, 4 Bias! Must admit I’m leaning on that Vintage clean stuff. I like the idea of a non specific amp claim! Thanks for the time, and yes, could we have more chord demos, Nothing Better than open chords on electric guitar to judge a rigs open sound!

• My one complaint about GS Vintage Clean is that it can sound a bit like a blanket is sitting on the mid range--it's not exactly scooped so much as muffled in the mids. That said, it totally captures the "throatiness" of a Twin in a way that the others don't. I like the Overloud stuff as they capture that Fender chime so well. Bias is so ice-picky it's crazy. The Nembrini is interesting because it also captures some of that "throatiness" but I did hear some ice-picky highs in there too.

• @Wrecked said:
    Nothing Better than open chords on electric guitar to judge a rigs open sound!

When it gets that clean I feel like I'm evaluating the guitar. Is it in tune? Then I ant to know
    the details of the guitar and the tone controls, pick-up vendors, string gauges, etc.

It's a maze of small decisions that lead to a recorded artifact.

I have the same feeling about comparing Piano Apps. They are a "snap shot" result and you're really buying the camera and we all own AUv3 Photoshop-like apps.

Everyone of these apps would sound amaze-balls with Bark Filter added. (Don't tell the rubes).

• @McD said:
    FYI: the Choptones "Fender Super Reverb" rig costs $18 and gives you 96 rigs to tweak. And it uses Old Caps! Sold! They could be the Own Hammer of Rigs. Right?

Fend SRev is the TH-U expansion library, created by Choptones, seeking to recreate the sound of a Fender Super Reverb*. This is the perfect choice for Funk, Rock and Blues players.

The Fender Super Reverb 65 Reissue* is a milestone of guitar amplification. A real old and vintage Super Reverb* will definitely be a jaw-dropping musical weapon, but if you cannot find that 60s one, you can do like us, finely tuning our sample using old caps, transformers and real singing vintage 10 inches CTS speakers, turning it from a great amp to an amazing one. Now you can play and hear this beast in this amazing THU capturing made at Choptones with finest microphones and outboards.
    See product details...
    The Fend SRev library contains 96 rigs, which have been captured using the following gear*:
    Cabinets
    • Fender Super Reverb 4x10 loaded with Fender CTS
    • Fender 1x12 loaded with Celestion Alnico Blue
    • Fender 1x12 loaded with Jensen C12K
    • Fender 2x12 loaded with Eminence Fender Special
    • Fender 2x12 loaded with Oxford 12T6
    • Vox 2x12 loaded with Celestion Alnico Blue
    Mics
    • Shure SM57, SM58, SM7
    • Sennheiser e609, e906, MD421, MD441
    • Beyerdynamic M160
    • Royer R121
    • Grundig GDM121
    • AKG C414
    • Neumann U87, TLM103, KM184
    • Rode NT2 Mod47
    • Audiotechnica AT2035
    • Retrotube II
    Boosted with:
    • Ibanez TS9
    • Marshall Bluesbreaker
    • Maxon OD808
    • Suhr Kokoboost
    • MXR Modified OD

This is absolutely crucial information when shopping for these rigs, because the actual original amp specimen used for capture is the deciding factor for how the rig sounds. So the Super Reverb Rig is really great, and you can actually place the sound as a bit more vintage because of the amp being outfitted with old speakers and caps. It’s a really close cousin to the twin reverb anyway, with just a little earlier break.

I really love the Bassman rig, it’s a 1970 50W Bassman they used, and you can hear that it straddles both vintage and contemporary. I never owned one but have always suspected that it would be a favorite amp, and this rig only confirms it. It’s really deep, rich, and warm while also maintaining the clarity of a Fender and providing break as well. But the X factor with this rig is the amazing distortion and power chord tone you can achieve, which makes it suitable for both vintage and modern era.

The Edge Rig is a custom shop modded Deluxe 5e3 from only a few years ago, so the sound sits in the “best of” the contemporary Fenders, this could be seen as a positive for some due to potential for modernized fidelity. This rig has awesome breaking Fender sound and potential for Vox tones as well due to the modified speakers The Edge asked for.

Then you have the 63 Trem which I don’t own but I would guess it’s a really great niche amp.

The Vox and Orange rigs are both fantastic. Worth considering are some other non Fender Rigs... The Silver Jubilee is a great price and comes with 70 rigs and more presets than usual. It’s not a weird Marshall at all, it’s basically a silver JCM800 that was produced between 1987-1989, so it’s an affordable rig for great Marshall tone and surprisingly good cleans.

Then you have rigs like BHS Ace Dan Huff which is actually an extensive collection of 4 different amps and preamps, Mesa, Kasha, Peavey, and modded Marshall, and with a big preset list too.

And then you have rigs like the 4 channel Revv Generator MKii, which is a recent and hugely successful amp that’s extremely versatile, you can get Fender tone here too, and a whopping 233 rigs. The Bogner Ecstacy rig also sounds incredible and hugely versatile.

I didn’t like the MK50 rig, T&B Classic rig, and the ADA MP1 preamp rig sounds too variable and dated somehow though I understand it’s an asset as a preamp. While I like the American Classics and the Vintage Collection V.1 rigs, I don’t actually think they’re a prime example of how great these rigs can sound. The deep dives by Choptones are superlative.

Researching each rig and the specific cabs and mics they used to capture it helps one hone in on exactly what they’re looking for. The cabs list is also important. It’s not just simply marketing, the results are in the sound. The problem is a lot of the rigs sounded so good on paper and demo that I bought too many...

I’ve also made a preset bank which I’ll share of all the full pack amp sims with their matching cabs, as well as 52 separate preset banks where each cabinet is paired with every single amp, no tweaks just as is. Once you start you can’t stop...

• @SNystrom said:
    Hmmmm, I preferred the Nembrini Cali, followed by Gain Stage and TH-U Fender Twin.

Nembrini and Gain Stage seemed to my ears to have a pristine clean warmth about them.

Let the ratings battle begin! 🙃

Totally agree with @SNystrom - the Cali sounds the most realistic in this demo, although not really a Fender sound. Tried the TH-U sims on desktop last year, sounded too 'digital' to me, stuck with Amplitube - for the Fender sound the Fender 2 collection is hard to beat, but not AUv3. Nembrini Sound Master covers my Fender needs these days, here's a session from the other day.

• McDMcD
    edited September 2020

@JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Once you start you can’t stop...

You buried the lede.

This is like someone at an AA meeting that relates:

I found this quiet little bar where the bartender gives you free drinks when you're a little short on cash to tide you over until payday.

I'm going to be strong and only get 1 Rig this month. Just the one....

• edited September 2020

@richardyot said:
    Here's a quick comparison of the free TH-U Fender Twin, vs the Overloud TH-U with the Choptones Fender Super Reverb IAP rig vs Gain Stage Vintage Clean using the American Standard preset vs BIAS Amp using a custom amp to get a warm clean tone vs Nembrini Cali Reverb on the clean channel.

Both TH-U options are the best to my ears, followed by GS Vintage Clean. BIAS sounds horrible to me. YMMV.

The GS Vintage Clean sounds the best to me, and also I freaking love that app. Bias sounds the worst, really rinky dink and fizzy. I love the Cali reverb but I think the Crystal Clean Rev factory preset sounds better than the dialing in this video. The Choptones Super Reverb sounds great but it has the Reverb pedal sim in the chain. I think the extensive list of the Super Reverb rigs that come unaltered will still yield the best sound. And the Darkface sounds about as good as a free Fender sim could.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

@richardyot said:

The Choptones Super Reverb sounds great but it has the Reverb pedal sim in the chain.

Actually I disabled the reverb pedal for the demo - you can see that the little red LED is not on, so the pedal is not active. I zeroed the reverb in each sim. I'll check out the Crystal Clear preset in the Cali though.

And I should have specified, the demo is a WAV file so that each comparison is consistent, the original is recorded from a Les Paul on the middle pickup straight into the iPad via a Sonic Port interface.

• @McD said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Once you start you can’t stop...

You buried the lede.

This is like someone at an AA meeting that relates:

I found this quiet little bar where the bartender gives you free drinks when you're a little short on cash to tide you over until payday.

I'm going to be strong and only get 1 Rig this month. Just the one....

The worst is when you realize you’ve found 2-3 sounds that are as good as you’ve had in a lifetime but you still have 17,000 other sounds to explore and you wonder why you even bought them. One night I was amazed by a rig so just kept clicking buy buy buy, I justify it because of my sincere curiosity and excitement but it is absolutely some sort of addiction...

One night I was amazed by a rig so just kept clicking buy buy buy, I justify it because of my sincere curiosity and excitement but it is absolutely some sort of addiction...

That's it. I'm not wasting money... I'm doing research. Feeding my curiosity to keep my brain active and stave off dementia. It's a healthy pursuit at my age and good for the economy.
    The developers all have small children so it's for the kids. Many have animals that have been rescued from the streets. It's a form of philanthropy in a sense.

• edited September 2020

@richardyot said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@richardyot said:

The Choptones Super Reverb sounds great but it has the Reverb pedal sim in the chain.

Actually I disabled the reverb pedal for the demo - you can see that the little red LED is not on, so the pedal is not active. I zeroed the reverb in each sim. I'll check out the Crystal Clear preset in the Cali though.

And I should have specified, the demo is a WAV file so that each comparison is consistent, the original is recorded from a Les Paul on the middle pickup straight into the iPad via a Sonic Port interface.

Ah I see that now, thank you. I’m also noticing the knobs in your SRev example are set differently than that same rig in the collection list. You have the gain all the way down, the bass down and the mid up a little, and some other knobs tweaked slightly. Was this your creation or how it came in the preset bank?

• edited September 2020

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@richardyot said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@richardyot said:

Ah I see that now, thank you. I’m also noticing the knobs in your SRev example are set differently than that same rig in the collection list. You have the gain all the way down, the bass down and the mid up a little, and some other knobs tweaked slightly. Was this your creation or how it came in the preset bank?

I tweaked it a bit to my taste: changed the mic and set the tone controls. The gain is down to volume-match with the other sims.

• Blimey, I missed out the Cali! GS vintage still number one with the Cali a close second! I have the Cali, must try it over the next few days, I’m swaying on the GS, sounds great! Less options means less thinking! Only ever used one amp, one channel with one com pedal and a overdrive pedal when shaking it up on the boards! I like simple!

• @Wrecked, when you revisit the Cali, be sure to select the rack mode and reduce the input in the clean channel. This will help you get a better clean tone. Enjoy!

• @SNystrom said:
    @Wrecked, when you revisit the Cali, be sure to select the rack mode and reduce the input in the clean channel. This will help you get a better clean tone. Enjoy!

Hi. I’m after the breakup, or slightly over! But yes I’ll try the clean too! I’m not revisiting even though I’ve had it a month it’ll be a maiden voyage! Cheers.

• @richardyot said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@richardyot said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@richardyot said:

I tweaked it a bit to my taste: changed the mic and set the tone controls. The gain is down to volume-match with the other sims.

Cool. I mean, there is just so much amazing Fender sound in the Overloud app, and not only rigs. There are so many other Fender emulation amps in the collection, like the Lynchbox Tweed, Red Frame, Tweed Deluxe, Bassman ‘59, Rock ‘64, and so many more. Then there are the Rigs which are an ode to Fender, like the Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50 which is a modified Princeton, the Bogner Ecstasy where one of the channels is actually modeled after a Super Reverb, Revv Generator which has a plethora of Fender sounds, the MP1 preamp, add to that the American Classics and the Vintage Volume 1/2, and it’s just too much awesome...

• I might have even been staring the answer to my question in the face for a month, the Cali sitting there staring back, “ Go on, turn me on” Very excited now to turn it on, but have to go to Manchester this weekend to my daughters and grandchild’s belated birthday! When I get back I’ll make time for sure! Bought my daughter Ragged Glory and The Fall, John Peel sessions! Grand child books and clothes!

• edited September 2020

Another very nice amp people may have overlooked is the tone imperia. It's Fendery, designed to be able to go from blackface to tweed sounds. I was surprised to see this, I'd lusted after a Tone King amp in the past. They are hand-built boutique amps with all the quality components etc, and very pricey. I'll probably pick up this at some point,

• I picked up the Choptones Fender Super Reverb Rig. So, good. So, many presets... so little time.

I also had some change left on the gift card so I got the "LynchBox Clean Amp" for $5. So, clean it kills Covid-19 using car speakers. Truly amazing amp for $5. But I like clean, you may find it antiseptic. Pre-loading 2 instances of TubeScreamers before it can make it pretty gnarly and you still get the lack of fizz most amp sims add with the distortion. The highs are
    so pure in this baby that you can add distortion before it and get it processed "cleanly".

They make a Rat pedal called "CAT" and PSR 1000 (and Jr) are on sale so you have options.

I stopped there. But that "LynchBox Blackface" is calling me from the other side. You know
    it's going to be good, right? @flo26 demo'ed it and it's the shit.

• @SimonSomeone said:
    Another very nice amp people may have overlooked is the tone imperia. It's Fendery, designed to be able to go from blackface to tweed sounds. I was surprised to see this, I'd lusted after a Tone King amp in the past. They are hand-built boutique amps with all the quality components etc, and very pricey. I'll probably pick up this at some point,

I really wanted this but prevented myself from buying it, I think my self-prevention will only last a few days...

• @McD said:
    I picked up the Choptones Fender Super Reverb Rig. So, good. So, many presets... so little time.

I also had some change left on the gift card so I got the "LynchBox Clean Amp" for $5. So, clean it kills Covid-19 using car speakers. Truly amazing amp for $5. But I like clean, you may find it antiseptic. Pre-loading 2 instances of TubeScreamers before it can make it pretty gnarly and you still get the lack of fizz most amp sims add with the distortion. The highs are
    so pure in this baby that you can add distortion before it and get it processed "cleanly".

They make a Rat pedal called "CAT" and PSR 1000 (and Jr) are on sale so you have options.

I stopped there. But that "LynchBox Blackface" is calling me from the other side. You know
    it's going to be good, right? @flo26 demo'ed it and it's the shit.

The Lynch Box Tweed is also awesome, and the Lynch Box cabinet is one of the very best in the collection.

• edited September 2020

Here’s a quick noodling session with the Fender Bassman Rig, just a few random rigs from the collection that are completely unaltered, and then also a few preset sounds from the Bassman preset bank. I’m just messing around here. Important to note that I didn’t adjust anything in the rig/bank or app, except for turning down Overloud’s master volume to -8db and global setting 96kHz (seems like a tiny tiny bit less noise floor compared to 44/48). I think this is just a smokin’ hot Fender sound that also retains depth and clarity, and it sounds real...

• People need to understand the 4 types of colored balls in the TH-U Rigs:

Green is a clean amp tone
    Yellow is crunchy
    Red is metal/grungy

and all the Rigs you don't own yet get you "Blue Balls".

• I forgot about the LynchBox Cabinet. There goes another $5 but I need to pure stuff.

• edited September 2020

Are there rigs for the Fender Tweed Deluxe? Apparently Larry Carlton used one with no distortion pedals for the Kid Charlemagne and Don't Take Me Alive solos. Most amazing combination of gnarliness and sweet singing distortion ever.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Are three rigs for the Fender Tweed Deluxe? Apparently Larry Carlton used that with no distortion pedals for the Kid Charlemagne and Don't Take Me Alive solos. Amazing combination of gnarliness and sweet singing distortion ever.

Sure but then I'd need a Gibson ES-335, right? Larry is interviewed and says:

I played the same 335 on 90% of my solo sessions, including the solo for “Kid Charlemagne.” I just used a little Tweed Deluxe amplifier. There’s video of that rig on my website. The combination that I used sound-wise for the “Kid Charlemagne” solo was the 335, Tweed Deluxe amplifier, back pickup and with the tone control turned down to about three.

So, I should try the LynchBox Tweed and my Gibson "Lucille" (which is close to the 335).
    Don't wait up.

• edited September 2020

@espiegel123 said:
    Are there rigs for the Fender Tweed Deluxe? Apparently Larry Carlton used one with no distortion pedals for the Kid Charlemagne and Don't Take Me Alive solos. Most amazing combination of gnarliness and sweet singing distortion ever.

The Edge Rig is the custom shop ‘57 Fender Tweed Deluxe 5e3 you speak of, in all its glory. The original Tweed Deluxe came with a Jensen speaker, but The Edge requested to put in the Celestion blue Alnico speaker into his signature model like a Vox, so essentially it’s the exact Tweed Deluxe schematic but modified with a different speaker. But the cool thing is that the Edge rig also comes with captures using the Jensen speaker, as well as others. So all in all this is the legendary Tweed Deluxe, though the specimen they’re using is a contemporary custom shop not an actual ‘57. Btw this rig is 🔥🔥🔥 and I don’t even listen to You2. Also the American Classics rig has a tweed deluxe capture, but only 1 which is a shame. And in the sim collection you actually have a ‘57 tweed deluxe amp, and the funny thing is on the Overloud site they actually use the word Fender in the title, extremely hard to believe it’s licensed.

• @McD said:
    People need to understand the 4 types of colored balls in the TH-U Rigs:

Green is a clean amp tone
    Yellow is crunchy
    Red is metal/grungy

and all the Rigs you don't own yet get you "Blue Balls".

HahaHa I think I’m just going to impose a rule not to buy any more rigs until they go on sale. Ok I’ll buy just one more tonight and that’s it...

It’s interesting that even the “Green” rigs on the Fenders aren’t so clean, they’re plenty gritty. But it turns out that you can tame any of them by lowering the gain a smidge and the rigs are way more tweakable than I thought. I was just playing with the sliders on the first Super Reverb rig, and I must say this technology sounds incredible. I mean this some real guitar shit, I don’t hear anything digital.

It’s interesting that even the “Green” rigs on the Fenders aren’t so clean, they’re plenty gritty.

There's a subtle transition from gritty to crunchy.

But Blue balls require attention. Get another rig and share the reviews. You are moving products and there's a reward for that... our appreciation. Yea! Spend wisely or not... but share the reviews.

I did something similar w.r.t. digital pianos. Lot's of bucks but I'm an expert and I can feel the
    "appreciation". I bathe in it. Water works better but it's just me and the missus so... Yea!