Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

THU—Holy Grail for Fender sound

Comments

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    @Bootsy Ok my friend I figured it out... for those three presets Haze, Mary, and Magic Woman, all you have to do is go to the AQTX Spring Reverb rack in the chain and turn the level up from 0% instantly works...

Saweet! Thanks for doing the leg work.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:
    FWIW, here is the free Darkface '65 pushed to the edge of break up by turning volume and tone controls to 10. The reverb is the free reverb pedal:
    For the 'clean' parts with no distortion, the guitar volume knob is backed down to 8. Otherwise the knob is at 10.

Sounds great. 👍🏼

I wonder how it would do if you put something like a tube screamer plugin with the volume cranked and distortion at zero, or just a clean boost plugin.

Here it is with the input boosted cleanly a bit with Magic Death Eye to drive the amp a little harder without clipping the input signal.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Here it is with the input boosted cleanly a bit with Magic Death Eye to drive the amp a little harder without clipping the input signal.

Very nice!!

• edited September 2020

Here’s just a quick video capture of some noodling with the first rig in the Fender Edge collection, no tweaks or adjustments on the amp, and all the app parameters untouched except 96kHz. I think my guitar signal is pretty hot even with the interface at minimal volume. This is that dirty Fender sound, and the rest of the rigs vary from more to less dirty. Similar with the Super Reverb and Bassman. The actual preset bank for the Edge has like 10 patches using FX from the sim collection and they are very “The Edge”. As for the actual rigs I think there’s about 100.

• Wow!

Pretty great tone, @JoyceRoadStudios!

We’re you using a Strat or LP?

Pretty gritty...

• @SNystrom said:
    Wow!

Pretty great tone, @JoyceRoadStudios!

We’re you using a Strat or LP?

Pretty gritty...

LP all the way, it’s a 1999 custom historic 1957 reissue that I got brand new in 1999. I use .12 gauge with a wound g. It’s a one piece mahogany body and I actually barely use the neck and middle position unless I’m doing a fuzz riff or dark jazz or something, just too dark and muddy. But the bridge pickup is just hot power and really responds well to Fender kerranging if you know what I mean... I’ll post some more rig examples later, there are just some great real sounds in there. I love theIr regular amp sims as well...

• Looking forward to it! 👍🏻

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:
    FWIW, here is the free Darkface '65 pushed to the edge of break up by turning volume and tone controls to 10. The reverb is the free reverb pedal:
    For the 'clean' parts with no distortion, the guitar volume knob is backed down to 8. Otherwise the knob is at 10.

Sounds great. 👍🏼

I wonder how it would do if you put something like a tube screamer plugin with the volume cranked and distortion at zero, or just a clean boost plugin.

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about! Yeh, that is really, really good. It has that “burn” I’m always looking for.

Oddly enough I just concluded for the second time that THU just isn’t for me. Now I’m gonna need to try it it again.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

Sounds great. 👍🏼

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about! Yeh, that is really, really good. It has that “burn” I’m always looking for.

Oddly enough I just concluded for the second time that THU just isn’t for me. Now I’m gonna need to try it it again.

I wasn’t impressed when I first tried it but having given it another shot and approaching it differently, I am finding some tones I really like with a response very similar to what I got with my old tube amp.

• Last night I bought the Choptones Super Reverb rig, and what can I say, this is just a beautiful clean tone. The free Overloud Fender Twin was my favourite, and this betters it. I'll try and post a comparison tomorrow.

If you want a full and rich clean sound, this is the best I've heard yet.

• @richardyot said:
    Last night I bought the Choptones Super Reverb rig, and what can I say, this is just a beautiful clean tone. The free Overloud Fender Twin was my favourite, and this betters it. I'll try and post a comparison tomorrow.

Hi. Glad it’s a good one. Do you just by a rig? By rig, does that mean an amp plus cab, or in the case of a combo the whole combo in one? All I’m after is say an AC30 top boost And a small Fender Champ/ Princeton. I’m not into reverb or fx. Fx covered by delay 3000? Nebrini if needed. I’m a Tom Petty fan and Neil Young, Crazy Horse all Ragged Glory. Anything near these and I’m happy! Cheers

• @richardyot said:
    Last night I bought the Choptones Super Reverb rig, and what can I say, this is just a beautiful clean tone. The free Overloud Fender Twin was my favourite, and this betters it. I'll try and post a comparison tomorrow.

Yup. SR is nuts. Congrats and yes let’s hear

• @NembriniAudio Love you guys too! Please please please give us a Twin, Super, Deluxe, or even a Bassman.

A Twin seems like is would reign supreme (no competitors except for a single amp profile in American collection). And this is is my preferred clean sound.

But you really, really should consider a Deluxe. Also. :)

• @Wrecked said:

@richardyot said:

Hi. Glad it’s a good one. Do you just by a rig? By rig, does that mean an amp plus cab, or in the case of a combo the whole combo in one? All I’m after is say an AC30 top boost And a small Fender Champ/ Princeton. I’m not into reverb or fx. Fx covered by delay 3000? Nebrini if needed. I’m a Tom Petty fan and Neil Young, Crazy Horse all Ragged Glory. Anything near these and I’m happy! Cheers

The Choptones rigs are just based around one amp generally, so that's what you get: a bunch of presets all based around that one amp. It's still all tweakable with tone controls etc...

The rigs are completely separate from the rest of the app, they are their own thing and going by just the one that I've bought I would say they are probably even better than the regular simulations in the app.

• @richardyot said:

@Wrecked said:

@richardyot said:

The Choptones rigs are just based around one amp generally, so that's what you get: a bunch of presets all based around that one amp. It's still all tweakable with tone controls etc...

The rigs are completely separate from the rest of the app, they are their own thing and going by just the one that I've bought I would say they are probably even better than the regular simulations in the app.

Exactly. You could get the SR and call it a day. Or the Bassman. Or Edge, etc.

Could you imagine if that was someone’s first and only experience? So much time snd money saved!

• @richardyot said:

@Wrecked said:

@richardyot said:

We should mention that some of the profiles available have overdrive etc baked in. They sound amazing

But you could use a cleaner profile and put your own effects around it in Audiobus, Aum or whatever.

For noodling, btw, my go to is Audiobus. And I have pretty much every Daw. Thanks for the forum and the terrific app, @Michael

• While I’m doing shoutouts, thanks to our resident guitar genius @flo26 .

He has been a stream of invaluable information and sensational demos. Flo also gave me some tips about Overloud.

• @audiobussy said:

@richardyot said:

@Wrecked said:

@richardyot said:

Could you imagine if that was someone’s first and only experience? So much time snd money saved!

Exactly that! Get the sound of two and you’re done! No way I suppose of demo mode before you buy?

• @richardyot said:

@Wrecked said:

@richardyot said:

Thanks! What are the chop tones you talk of? Are these specific Amps related to Brand amps etc, or generic type amps that they made up? Sorry never heard of Choptones!

• @Wrecked said:

@audiobussy said:

@richardyot said:

@Wrecked said:

@richardyot said:

Exactly that! Get the sound of two and you’re done! No way I suppose of demo mode before you buy?

ChopTones has Video demos on YT for entire product line.

No demo mode

• @audiobussy said:

@Wrecked said:

@audiobussy said:

@richardyot said:

@Wrecked said:

@richardyot said:

ChopTones has Video demos on YT for entire product line.

No demo mode

Ok, thanks. A demo mode would be useful being there’s so many, but I suppose they want you to buy it whatever! All you’d need is 5 mins with each one! So, there is an AC30 top boost rig?

• @Wrecked said:

@richardyot said:

@Wrecked said:

@richardyot said:

Thanks! What are the chop tones you talk of? Are these specific Amps related to Brand amps etc, or generic type amps that they made up? Sorry never heard of Choptones!

It's a company. Please see https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/844042/#Comment_844042
    This entire thread is an excellent review of the differences between simulated amps and the modelled rigs.

• @Wrecked said:

If you go to the Store in the Overloud THU app, then tap on the "Rigs" section at the top right and scroll down a little you will find the Choptones rigs:

Then if you tap on each individual rig, most of them have audio or video demos. This is the one that I bought:

https://overloud.com/products/choptones-fend-srev

• McDMcD
    edited September 2020

@richardyot said:

This is why I love this forum... after spending hundreds of dollars someone like @richardyot will slip you an informed clue to a solid investment. I like clean tones and will add a ChopTones Fender after auditioning the 3-4 options.

Many will not like the right edge of the screen control box but once you adjust to not having to use rotary knobs on an image (like the Nembrini Skeuomorph interfaces) you'll realize this is the most efficient option to rapidly zoom in on a tone using a finger.

After OverLoud I've lost my love of all the other options I spent $100's on including an array of hardware pedals and amp modelers. This does it for me for at least 90 days:

The three pieces of hardware kit are velcro'ed to the guitar body. I can strap on the guitar and take a walk or sit in the garden and practice without needing to plug anything into 110V AC. Good for well over an hour and I have
    a massive battery pack to swap in for another 2-3 hours.

• McDMcD
    edited September 2020

FYI: the Choptones "Fender Super Reverb" rig costs $18 and gives you 96 rigs to tweak. And it uses Old Caps! Sold! They could be the Own Hammer of Rigs. Right?

Fend SRev is the TH-U expansion library, created by Choptones, seeking to recreate the sound of a Fender Super Reverb*. This is the perfect choice for Funk, Rock and Blues players.

The Fender Super Reverb 65 Reissue* is a milestone of guitar amplification. A real old and vintage Super Reverb* will definitely be a jaw-dropping musical weapon, but if you cannot find that 60s one, you can do like us, finely tuning our sample using old caps, transformers and real singing vintage 10 inches CTS speakers, turning it from a great amp to an amazing one. Now you can play and hear this beast in this amazing THU capturing made at Choptones with finest microphones and outboards.
    See product details...
    The Fend SRev library contains 96 rigs, which have been captured using the following gear*:
    Cabinets
    • Fender Super Reverb 4x10 loaded with Fender CTS
    • Fender 1x12 loaded with Celestion Alnico Blue
    • Fender 1x12 loaded with Jensen C12K
    • Fender 2x12 loaded with Eminence Fender Special
    • Fender 2x12 loaded with Oxford 12T6
    • Vox 2x12 loaded with Celestion Alnico Blue
    Mics
    • Shure SM57, SM58, SM7
    • Sennheiser e609, e906, MD421, MD441
    • Beyerdynamic M160
    • Royer R121
    • Grundig GDM121
    • AKG C414
    • Neumann U87, TLM103, KM184
    • Rode NT2 Mod47
    • Audiotechnica AT2035
    • Retrotube II
    Boosted with:
    • Ibanez TS9
    • Marshall Bluesbreaker
    • Maxon OD808
    • Suhr Kokoboost
    • MXR Modified OD

• edited September 2020

Here's a quick comparison of the free TH-U Fender Twin, vs the Overloud TH-U with the Choptones Fender Super Reverb IAP rig vs Gain Stage Vintage Clean using the American Standard preset vs BIAS Amp using a custom amp to get a warm clean tone vs Nembrini Cali Reverb on the clean channel.

Both TH-U options are the best to my ears, followed by GS Vintage Clean. BIAS sounds horrible to me. YMMV.

• @richardyot and someone posted a thread the other day asking, why not use BIAS? At this point, it sucks.

• Hmmmm, I preferred the Nembrini Cali, followed by Gain Stage and TH-U Fender Twin.

Nembrini and Gain Stage seemed to my ears to have a pristine clean warmth about them.

Let the ratings battle begin! 🙃

• Sometimes I listen to these comparison videos and wonder why I keep buying all the new amp sims. To my ears, while I hear the differences, I generally don’t know if those differences are worth investing more money into them. But then I end up buying them anyway. Keep the videos coming!

• @richardyot said:
    Here's a quick comparison of the free TH-U Fender Twin, vs the Overloud TH-U with the Choptones Fender Super Reverb IAP rig vs Gain Stage Vintage Clean using the American Standard preset vs BIAS Amp using a custom amp to get a warm clean tone vs Nembrini Cali Reverb on the clean channel.

Both TH-U options are the best to my ears, followed by GS Vintage Clean. BIAS sounds horrible to me. YMMV.

Choptones and Bias sound good to me... of course, they are the 2 I don't own (yet).
    I'll get ChopTones and wait for Bias to join the AUv3 roster of apps.

Thanks for doing the work making the video and buying all these optional solutions.

Cost wise, I think Gain Stage is the cheapest unless that particular TH-U Fender Amp is free to use after download. I think the Gain Stage sounds pretty good too. I was hoping there would be periodic "Amp Packs" for Gain Stage but I suspect the product didn't sell well
    because it doesn't offer any EQ options for the user to feel in control... it's "own amp fit alls".
    But (duh), I have many EQ's I can use before and after Gain Stage and I do. But Guitar Players want their knobs... people complain about TH-U not uses knobs. Knobs on a 2D Touch screen are a nightmare to use. Knobs suck. Sliders good... knobs bad.