Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Question about plugging in a synth to the iPad...

How do you guys go about it?

I just got a Mininova, and am worried I am doing something wrong. The iPad does not seem to recognize a device is plugged in when using only usb (unlike my launchkey, for instance). So I’m connecting the right audio out to an irig hd2.

My problem is the audio quality seems to be significantly degraded when compared to hearing the synth straight into my headphones. Not only does it distort at high volumes or low frequencies (probably due to the sensitive gain dial on the irig more than anything) but it just sounds worse in general.

Possible issues:
bad cable?
I’m going about connecting it the wrong way?
The output needs to come from both the left and the right to get full sound ? (my audio monitor and the ear test indicate it comes out in stereo either way, so I hope this isn’t the case)
Something else?

Comments

• The Mininova doesn’t have USB audio out, only MIDI. So you are indeed stuck with audio out to iRig. The Left and Right outputs are unbalanced, so yes you need both the right and left channels coming from the Mininova to get the full sound.

There are cables that you can purchase that will combine the left and right channels, I believe.

• Many sounds in the Mininova depend on the stereo effect so I would get a stereo audio interface first and set the levels correctly until you don't get distortion anymore. If your interface has no input gain adjustment then reduce the output level on the Mininova.

• Thanks guys that’s a huge help. I’m gonna try @wim ’s suggestion first and see how that goes since I found a cheap double mono to single stereo (oxymoron?) cable on amazon.

• @Polar said:
    Thanks guys that’s a huge help. I’m gonna try @wim ’s suggestion first and see how that goes since I found a cheap double mono to single stereo (oxymoron?) cable on amazon.

Honestly - don’t bother. @rs2000 is right. Since the mini is stereo out you need a stereo interface to hear it the same way. You could try a stereo 1/8” cable and go from the headphone out of the mini into the iPad but I’m willing to bet (from experience) that you won’t be happy with the compromise.

• Damn, that’s unfortunate...for my bank account.

Do u guys have any recommendations that won’t break the bank @anickt @rs2000 ?

• edited September 2020

@Polar said:
    Damn, that’s unfortunate...for my bank account.

Do u guys have any recommendations that won’t break the bank @anickt

I use a behringer uca222 about $95us.

A um2 should work. It’s 2 in. 1 input is mic/line and the other is 1/4” instrument about $59 I have one but can’t check it right now. Just run 1/4” cables to the inputs and usb to your cck. You have a cck? If not get one. It’s worth it and get apple so it will work

• @Polar said:
    Damn, that’s unfortunate...for my bank account.

Do u guys have any recommendations that won’t break the bank @anickt @rs2000 ?

I can recommend the Behringer UMC204HD. It's hard to get more bang for the buck.
    Sooner or later you'll need MIDI ports anyway, right?

• Stumbled on this

• @anickt said:
    Stumbled on this

That looks very handy!
    I hope that "crystal clear audio quality" sounds better than the UCA202/222 noise.

• @rs2000 said:

@anickt said:
    Stumbled on this

That looks very handy!
    I hope that "crystal clear audio quality" sounds better than the UCA202/222 noise.

I must’ve got a good UCA because I’ve heard that complaint. No such problem here! 🤷🏽‍♂️

• @anickt said:
    Stumbled on this

Wow thanks for sharing! Of course though it seems like all behringer products are out of stock and on back order :neutral:
    I went with a used PreSonus AudioBox i2 for $60
    I pray it works well enough

• @Polar said:

@anickt said:
    Stumbled on this

Wow thanks for sharing! Of course though it seems like all behringer products are out of stock and on back order :neutral:
    I went with a used PreSonus AudioBox i2 for $60
    I pray it works well enough

Looks like a nice box. $160 new. Report back! B)

• I’ve been a big fan of my Evo 4, I think it’s $130 or so and the audio quality is pretty fantastic

• @Fingolfinzzz said:
    I’ve been a big fan of my Evo 4, I think it’s $130 or so and the audio quality is pretty fantastic

So my order somehow didn’t go through :neutral:
    The evo 4 looks interesting...does it work with iPad?