Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What audio interface are 2020 IPad Pro users using?

Hey all, I’m looking for an interface for my 2020 IPad Pro, I have an Apogee Duet for IPad but the Maestro app doesn’t see it and I can’t access what I need to switch back and forth from mic to instrument input among other things. I wrote Apogee and was told the Duet wouldn’t be supporting newer IPads and to remedy it they came out with the Apogee Symphony Desktop..... for $1300.00 🤔
I’m sure it sounds great but I’m not really looking to spend that much on an interface for my IPad right now, the Focusrite Scarlets look good but I can’t plug in a usb keyboard and don’t want to have to use a usb hub all the time.
So I’m wondering what others are using for 2020 IPad pros?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• If you can find one, and you have a spare usb c to c cable, MOTU M2/4 are usb c. I don't have a pro but I imagine this would work.

• edited September 2020

wait umm there are plenty now in all ranges, on AB forums the Zoom, focusrite and the behringers ithink most used, you will always suffer from 1 port hassle on ipad just saying ..got a 2020 11" and the one port bugs me

• @Strizbiz just to be clear: you want an interface that can act as USB hub so you can connect a USB keyboard to it?

• edited September 2020

I had a similar experience. Motu M4 has been a dream.

Outlined those experiences here

• edited September 2020

Yeah it’s really lame that Apogee is not MFI certified anymore, and Apple has in turn caused a lot of app stability and compatibility issues by going usbc. I use an Apogee Jam Plus as my single channel interface and it’s the only Apogee that’s still fully compatible with new iPads, due to its simplicity. However, Auria Pro doesn’t recognize it and I’ve heard of many other interfaces and apps that don’t work as well with usbc.

• edited September 2020

@Strizbiz not sure if you’re talking about a usb midi keyboard or an actual typing keyboard, but I recently got an XSonic Xtone Pro. It comes with its own usbc cable for the new iPad, it has xlr in with phantom and a 1/4 instrument in, as well as midi in/out. It has an xlr out, monitor out, and headphone out, it has 6 midi footswitches for operating DAWs or virtual pedals, optional power source, the feature list goes on. It’s only $250 and yes it’s guitar centric, but it’s also a great 2 channel plus midi interface where you can control a DAW by foot. It is extremely new iPad compatible...

• I’m enjoying my Steinberg UR24C!

• I had an Apogee One and I sold it when I ordered my 2020 iPad Pro 11. The good news is you should get a good price for the duet. I bought the MOTU M2...get the M4 if you need the additional line level inputs.

I initially thought I had a problem as the interface didn’t always fully power up and none of the inputs would work. This happened a couple of times a week and I had to screw around with it to get it working right again. I worked with MOTU tech support and they were great. However after replacing my unit I found out by speaking with B&H photo that USB-C powered interfaces often have that problem with the USB-C iPads. I tried contacting Apple and they were no help. I bought a dongle that charges the iPad and supplies enough power for the M2.... Apple MUF82AM/A USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. I don’t need or use the HDMI portion. Anyway the dongle solved the issue and charging the iPad is a benefit. So if you find yourself with power issues...

I love the MOTU, lots of headroom, low noise, but also considered the SSL 2+

• edited September 2020

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Thanks for the video. I'm curious about this interface now.

How does the 10 IN and 14 OUT work...is this all handled on the Hardware side over USB...so they'd show up as 14 Outs on the iPad which I'd control on the Apogee touch interface?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I’m only familiar with the Scarlett 8i8 and Soundcraft 12MTK which i own and use currently...but I’ve always been curious about Apogee for Ableton and my iPad workflow.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

Great video, I’ve had an eye on the Symphony Desktop since hearing about it, I would definitely love to hear it in comparison to my Duet and really hear how much better it’s sounds because I love what I get from the Duet. I was planning on keeping the Duet for my MacBook Pro, this video is definitely giving me something to think about, thanks 🙏

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    @Strizbiz not sure if you’re talking about a usb midi keyboard or an actual typing keyboard, but I recently got an XSonic Xtone Pro. It comes with its own usbc cable for the new iPad, it has xlr in with phantom and a 1/4 instrument in, as well as midi in/out. It has an xlr out, monitor out, and headphone out, it has 6 midi footswitches for operating DAWs or virtual pedals, optional power source, the feature list goes on. It’s only $250 and yes it’s guitar centric, but it’s also a great 2 channel plus midi interface where you can control a DAW by foot. It is extremely new iPad compatible...

Yes, I want to connect my Akai MPK mini , I do have a dongle but I’d love to plug my controller into an interface directly , I’ve never heard about the XSonic Xtone , I’ll definitely look at it, thanks

• @lsd87 said:
    I had an Apogee One and I sold it when I ordered my 2020 iPad Pro 11. The good news is you should get a good price for the duet. I bought the MOTU M2...get the M4 if you need the additional line level inputs.

I initially thought I had a problem as the interface didn’t always fully power up and none of the inputs would work. This happened a couple of times a week and I had to screw around with it to get it working right again. I worked with MOTU tech support and they were great. However after replacing my unit I found out by speaking with B&H photo that USB-C powered interfaces often have that problem with the USB-C iPads. I tried contacting Apple and they were no help. I bought a dongle that charges the iPad and supplies enough power for the M2.... Apple MUF82AM/A USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. I don’t need or use the HDMI portion. Anyway the dongle solved the issue and charging the iPad is a benefit. So if you find yourself with power issues...

Hmmm , I was looking at the M2 online earlier, I love Motu, I had a 2408 interface from them years ago, so I know it has to sound great, the only thing that scares me is that mini usb jack, I’ve had so much bad luck with those, more so the mini usb cables. So can you use all of its features from it without needing software to get to things? Thanks in advance

• Hey everyone thanks to all the feedback, this is great, I’m not gonna lie though, I’m really spoiled by the Apogees conversation and mic preamps, it’s look9ng like I’m going to have to spend more than I wanted to lol. I was really trying to see what already has been confirmed to work with the Pro usb models, I had no idea there were issues with them regarding MFI, hopefully this post will help others looking at getting the new IPads too, and thanks everyone 🙏

• @Strizbiz said:

@lsd87 said:
    I had an Apogee One and I sold it when I ordered my 2020 iPad Pro 11. The good news is you should get a good price for the duet. I bought the MOTU M2...get the M4 if you need the additional line level inputs.

Hmmm , I was looking at the M2 online earlier, I love Motu, I had a 2408 interface from them years ago, so I know it has to sound great, the only thing that scares me is that mini usb jack, I’ve had so much bad luck with those, more so the mini usb cables. So can you use all of its features from it without needing software to get to things? Thanks in advance

That jack is the USB-C not a mini USB! Unlike Apogee you don’t have to configure in Maestro. Maestro did have its advantages. You give up some control of the interface. For example in Auria Pro you can’t adjust youR input gain in the software. With Apogee you could long press the record button to bring up youR line level adjustments...not with the MOTU. The M2 is just ready to go. The M2 will give you 2 hi-z/xlr combo inputs plus midi, the M4 adds 2 line level inputs. I must say that the sound quality is really good. And I love the meters. The gain actually beats the Apogee which is especially noticeable with the headphone jack and low power mics.

Good luck...

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

Wow...great review. Well done!

• @Strizbiz said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Great video, I’ve had an eye on the Symphony Desktop since hearing about it, I would definitely love to hear it in comparison to my Duet and really hear how much better it’s sounds because I love what I get from the Duet. I was planning on keeping the Duet for my MacBook Pro, this video is definitely giving me something to think about, thanks 🙏

I have the symphony rack series. It sounds like taking cotton balls out of your ears compared to the duet/quartet and even element/ensemble class. It’s truly night and day. It will force you to redo your monitoring and recording configuration because it has so much clarity!

It’s way way way up there in quality. Truly a steal to get this class of interface for $1299, believe it or not.

• @lsd87 said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Wow...great review. Well done!

Thank you 🙏

• @echoopera said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

How does the 10 IN and 14 OUT work...is this all handled on the Hardware side over USB...so they'd show up as 14 Outs on the iPad which I'd control on the Apogee touch interface?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I’m only familiar with the Scarlett 8i8 and Soundcraft 12MTK which i own and use currently...but I’ve always been curious about Apogee for Ableton and my iPad workflow.

Via the optical port

https://apogeedigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Apogee-Symphony-Desktop-Back-1920.jpg

So to clarify it isn’t converting the ‘10 in’ it’s taking a digital signal with 8 channels via optical. You could go optical out of another interface, or instrument, into the apogee symphony desktop and have your daw ingest it. No a/d or d/a conversion is happening for the optical though because it’s already in the digital domain.

However you can use the d/a of the interface to your Speakers to assist with mixing etc.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• @lsd87 said:

@Strizbiz said:

@lsd87 said:

That jack is the USB-C not a mini USB! Unlike Apogee you don’t have to configure in Maestro. Maestro did have its advantages. You give up some control of the interface. For example in Auria Pro you can’t adjust youR input gain in the software. With Apogee you could long press the record button to bring up youR line level adjustments...not with the MOTU. The M2 is just ready to go. The M2 will give you 2 hi-z/xlr combo inputs plus midi, the M4 adds 2 line level inputs. I must say that the sound quality is really good. And I love the meters. The gain actually beats the Apogee which is especially noticeable with the headphone jack and low power mics.

Good luck...

Ooh ok, my eyes are failing me at this point, lol it looked like a usb mini from the pic I was looking at online, big difference!!!

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@Strizbiz said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

I have the symphony rack series. It sounds like taking cotton balls out of your ears compared to the duet/quartet and even element/ensemble class. It’s truly night and day. It will force you to redo your monitoring and recording configuration because it has so much clarity!

It’s way way way up there in quality. Truly a steal to get this class of interface for $1299, believe it or not.

Really???!!!!! And you think the desktop would sound as good as the rack??? Now I really want to hear it in person because the Duet sounds amazing compared to the Avid interface I had before. I definitely believe it’s worth the asking price, especially if the Neve mic pre emulation sounds authentic

• edited September 2020

MOTU 828 ES iPad Pro 2018 ( MOTU makes amazing interfaces ) I was looking for M4 but they were out of stock decided to go all out and step up the 828ES. In my opinion is in the same league with Apogee, UAD, Steinberg. iPad sees all inputs and outputs sound is clear and the unit is (QUIET) have it connected to ADAMs

OOPS just saw realized OP wanted for 2020 models, should be no difference in performance 2018 models

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@echoopera said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Via the optical port

https://apogeedigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Apogee-Symphony-Desktop-Back-1920.jpg

So to clarify it isn’t converting the ‘10 in’ it’s taking a digital signal with 8 channels via optical. You could go optical out of another interface, or instrument, into the apogee symphony desktop and have your daw ingest it. No a/d or d/a conversion is happening for the optical though because it’s already in the digital domain.

However you can use the d/a of the interface to your Speakers to assist with mixing etc.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Yup. Makes total sense. Guess i was imagining something that doesn’t really exist.

My workflow is one involving having the following set up at once:
    . DigiTone
    . Toraiz AS-1
    . MicroFreak
    . Minilogue
    . OctaTrack
    . MPC One
    . iPad

While i don’t use them all at the same time i want to have access to them without having to reconnect cables so i need an interface with 8-INS minimum.

I sometimes daisy chain the AS-1 to the DigiTone and can also route that thru the OctaTrack but I’d still need the Apogee to support 4-INS to support the OT and MPC One.

Arthuria has a nice device in the AudioFuse as far as inputs but i am sure it sounds no where near as good as the Appogee.

Man....i have so many needs. Wish i was an Electrical Engineer instead of a Designer/Musician so i could roll my own 🤪

• @Strizbiz said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Strizbiz said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Really???!!!!! And you think the desktop would sound as good as the rack??? Now I really want to hear it in person because the Duet sounds amazing compared to the Avid interface I had before. I definitely believe it’s worth the asking price, especially if the Neve mic pre emulation sounds authentic

I would bet $1300 that it does 😂 Seriously. It’s like hearing for the first time.

I have the symphony with the mic pre chassis and it’s really really good. Smokes stand-alone, non vintage flavored preamps (I’m talking to you Avalon 737) with ease.

This truly is another class of A/D-D/A that nothing under burl is touching. Unless I’m going for the apogee desktop, the Motu M4 serves all my needs and more.

I would personally skip any interface at price points in between those two ($221-$1298)

Honestly there is no better way to spend $220 Than the m4 especially if you have your other components (mic, speakers, etc). I’d argue it’s in the duet class.

• @echoopera
    FYI
    I don't know this interface but typically big selling points of Apogee are the A/D (recording quality), D/A (monitoring) and low latency. Also they are kind of made for Apple so depending on the interface you might get perks like being able to charge device while connected through interface.

For this interface to do what you need you'll need an A/D preamp/converter for additional 8 analog ins for recording and D/A for additional 8 analog outs (usually the unit will handle both A/D and D/A in one box, but there are exceptions).
    Some budget solutions:

• Fostex VC-8, cheap does the job fine, only handles line level stuff so if you're planning to record mics you'll need something else
    • Behringer ADA8000/8200 this is probably the cheapest and most popular option
    • Focusrite Octopre (A/D only) or Octopre Dynamic (A/D & D/A)

Bare in mind when you hook one of these to your interface you'll end up - in case of this Apogee - with 2 better quality preamps / 6 better quality outputs and the quality of the additional 8 in/out will depend on the quality of that box. Just mentioning it because with Apogee that's major selling point, but that applies to built in analog ins and outs only.

• edited September 2020

@0tolerance4silence said:
    @echoopera
    FYI
    I don't know this interface but typically big selling points of Apogee are the A/D (recording quality), D/A (monitoring) and low latency. Also they are kind of made for Apple so depending on the interface you might get perks like being able to charge device while connected through interface.

For this interface to do what you need you'll need an A/D preamp/converter for additional 8 analog ins for recording and D/A for additional 8 analog outs (usually the unit will handle both A/D and D/A in one box, but there are exceptions).
    Some budget solutions:

• Fostex VC-8, cheap does the job fine, only handles line level stuff so if you're planning to record mics you'll need something else
    • Behringer ADA8000/8200 this is probably the cheapest and most popular option
    • Focusrite Octopre (A/D only) or Octopre Dynamic (A/D & D/A)

Bare in mind when you hook one of these to your interface you'll end up - in case of this Apogee - with 2 better quality preamps / 6 better quality outputs and the quality of the additional 8 in/out will depend on the quality of that box. Just mentioning it because with Apogee that's major selling point, but that applies to built in analog ins and outs only.

Ahhh....so basically, for setups like the Apogee or Universal Audio where they only offer 2 INS, they rely on these A/D preamps with Multi I/O to feed additional channels over Optical to them.

Makes sense.

I'm good for the moment with the Scarlett 8i8 and Soundcraft 12MTK I have in the studio...but I've always wondered about Apogee and Universal Audio as a higher-end solution. Guess I really need to hear the difference before jumping to that 'next' level.

Thanks for the info everyone!

• There's a difference between pro-consumer and semi/pro interfaces, but in the past 10 years the entry level stuff has improved a lot (well, good quality A/D/A became cheap enough to build into entry level stuff). For the output side I always aim for the best that fits the bill - you want to hear what's going on to the best possible extent. The input side is mostly personal preference - some like transparent others like colour... imo today interfaces compete mostly on features and latency, A/D/A is yesterday's topic for most of us - meaning, to be able to clearly hear the difference you'll need to spend thousands on other parts of your signal chain.

(UA interfaces are desktop only, and it's unlikely to change any time soon)

• edited September 2020

Another good interface to look at is the M-Audio AIR 192|6. Supposed to be comparable quality of MOTU. Thinking about grabbing this one since the MOTU'S are nearly extinct atm. Also $60-80 cheaper with midi in/out. The 192|8 has 2 midi in and 2 midi out. Same price as MOTU M4 FYI.

Edit no 1 midi in/out my fault. They have different midi connections. The 6 has pins the 8 has the 3.5.

• @ipadbeatmaking any idea when the symphony desktop will be out
    ?

• @echoopera said:
    @ipadbeatmaking any idea when the symphony desktop will be out
    ?

Q1 of 2020...lol 😂 🤣 😆

seriously though, I’ve been in touch with them all year about grabbing one of these (literally) and they didn’t even have it in their Santa Monica office yet. It’s been delay after delay. August was the latest release date that was missed.

Unfortunately, I have no idea.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@echoopera said:
    @ipadbeatmaking any idea when the symphony desktop will be out
    ?

Q1 of 2020...lol 😂 🤣 😆

seriously though, I’ve been in touch with them all year about grabbing one of these (literally) and they didn’t even have it in their Santa Monica office yet. It’s been delay after delay. August was the latest release date that was missed.

Unfortunately, I have no idea.

Thanks for the info. Guess each day which passes is another day of a dollar saved 🤪