Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How To export Midi from PC To Cubasis?

Comments

• edited August 2020

Yes, it can be done just export the midi out of the PC app save the midi file to a cloud service or email to your device however you do it just get the midi file into files app. Open file app select the midi file with a long press and select move in the pop up menu. Select on my phone/ipad and scroll down to the Cubasis folder and tap on the disclosure arrow and select Midi / My Midi files move the file here. Open Cubasis go to projects/midi/My midi files tap on the midi file to place it on a track an assign an instrument.

• Thank you so much @hacked_to_pieces. I’m going to write that on my forehead (backwards of course) so I’ll never forget. I assume Dropbox would work for this.

• Yes, Dropbox will work fine.

• C3 is pretty good at importing and auto assign the right instruments altho sub par built in sounds ..well..usable..

• edited August 2020

@hacked_to_pieces... three more question, please. I understand I can use a simple usb cable to connect to my keyboard.
    1. When I play the midi keyboard vst, am I correct in thinking I will be able to hear that playing thru the headphone jack on the PC?
    2. I simply use that headphone jack to connect to a speaker system (thru audio in on my keyboard)
    3. Will an audio interface improve that sound to my headphones or speakers.

I have never used a PC for anything musical so these basic questions are, unfortunately, necessary. Thanks!

1. When I play the midi keyboard vst, am I correct in thinking I will be able to hear that playing thru the headphone jack on the PC? Yes, you should hear it thru the built-in speakers or the headphones if used.

2. I simply use that headphone jack to connect to a speaker system (thru audio in on my keyboard) Not sure about that on my PC laptop I can't plug speakers into the headphone jack.

3. Will an audio interface improve that sound to my headphones or speakers.

Well without and audio interface your stuck with the builtin PC audio so yes I'd recommend an interface then you plug your speaker or headphones into the audio interface. I'd look for one that works with both PC and ios.

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@LinearLineman said:
    I understand I can use a simple usb cable to connect to my keyboard.
    1. When I play the midi keyboard vst, am I correct in thinking I will be able to hear that playing thru the headphone jack on the PC?

Just checking ... Did you mean "When I play a VST with the MIDI keyboard," or "When I play my keyboard will I hear the audio output of my keyboard"?

• @wim said:
    Just checking ... Did you mean "When I play a VST with the MIDI keyboard," or "When I play my keyboard will I hear the audio output of my keyboard"?

He's considering buying a Piano VST and using his Kawai Keyboard as a MIDI controller so it's the former case here.

The output will come out of the PC's headphone jack but having an audio interface connected to the PC offers better sound quality and a volume control for the "speakers"
    (usually connected to Line Outs/Mains) and the headphone port on the audio interface.

I know he bought an audio interface in Turkey and it will probably work with the PC and be USB Class Compliant to I think that's the way to go. There's a thread in the forum that documents his iPad to audio interface to Kawai cabling. He did have a different Kawai model then versus the one he has now but everything should work the same at a functional level.

Is there a good low cost DAW for Windows 10 he should be looking at for recording his performances in audio and MIDI? Is there an entry level Cubase product for Windows 10?

• @McD, I think Cakewalk is my best shot for a free DAW. Btw, I left that AI in Turkey. Curses.

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

Reaper is low cost, free to evaluate, and probably enough similar to Cubasis to be a good choice. Ableton Live Lite can easily be had for free, but could be a big conceptual leap. I wouldn't be surprised if the keyboard itself included some kind of software bundle of its own for recording.

Audio out to speakers will surely be better with an audio interface, but I wouldn't say vastly better (well, maybe in headphones). It's worth trying without an interface though if only to reduce complexity.

Too bad it's not a Mac. GarageBand is free.

• Most of the Audio Interfaces also include software bundles. A Presonus Audio Interface for example gives you a full featured copy of "Studio One".

• Yes, Calkwalk is free I installed it and all the instruments also show in any DAW you have installed on your PC so it's worth it for the free Instruments. https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

• edited August 2020

@McD, thanks, the Presonus USB96 looks good at $99 and comes with Studio One. 2 mic inputs and a Midi I/o plus USB and uses USB power.

Thanks @hacked_to_pieces.

• McDMcD
    edited August 2020

@LinearLineman said:
    @McD, thanks, the Presonus USB96 looks good at $99 and comes with Studio One. 2 ins and a Midi I/o plus USB and uses USB power.

Full disclosure: They will make you create an account to:

register the warranty
    get the software download
    use email for support requests
    and license the software install
    they might even use an evil software license manager - sometimes they break and lock you out of your own creations for example.

You want desktop? That's the way they do. And the versioning headaches as one or the other has an update and "drivers" break. They do that too. Making a PC work well for more than 2 years is almost a full time job.

Are you up for it? The Piano will sound great but you sell your creative soul to several
    technology companies. Having the DAW owned by the Audio Interface vendor is probably
    going to save some headaches but you will probably get a lot of opinions on the best "stack" of products to have the fewest headaches.

I hate PC's. Too many lost hours trying to "be like Apple" without someone to use QA principles on everything as an integrated solution. Mostly because MS didn't sell hardware.
    Maybe everything is better with the Surface Tablets from MS.

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@McD said:
    You want desktop? That's the way they do. And the versioning headaches as one or the other has an update and "drivers" break. They do that too. Making a PC work well for more than 2 years is almost a full time job.

That's a load of crap and you know it. :D
    (The part about selling your soul to the Devil might not be though.)

• Yikes! I should have put this thread off-topic. I have free use of a PC so, must go in that direction.
    Cakewalk, as @hacked_to_pieces suggests, may be the best route.

• Yeah Mike, I’ve been using Windows PCs for DAW and music making for years and have never had any of those kind of problems. Of course I’m a PC guy from way back in the DOS days. But if you know your way around a Windows machine nowadays, you’ll do just fine. And there’s plenty of help here if you don’t.

Get Reaper. The free trial which is the full version, is only $60 for a personal license. No deals with the devil need to be made (with Reaper anyway!)

• edited September 2020

@LinearLineman said:
    Yikes! I should have put this thread off-topic. I have free use of a PC so, must go in that direction.
    Cakewalk, as @hacked_to_pieces suggests, may be the best route.

Cakewalk USED to be great, until they sold out to some other company and went with all this “BandCamp” stuff. Thats one where you’ll have to create all kinds of accounts and BS. I used to use “Cakewalk Sonar” back in the day, and it was a premium $500 program... now Cakewalk is free?

I’m telling you, Reaper Is what you want. Especially since you’re just starting out with a DAW on a PC. Best one to learn first!

• edited September 2020

https://www.reaper.fm/

Edit: now that I’m looking at the actual title of your thread here though, maybe Ableton Lite would be the better option. A lot more robust in the MIDI department. You can get a free code with a bunch of different iOS apps. Koala is one.

• edited September 2020

Thanks @Intrepolicious, Reaper looks interesting, affordable and a 60 day free trial. I’ll look at Ableton lite.
    I think it comes free with the Steinberg AI I will probably need to get.

• You’re limited to just a few tracks with Live Lite. It’s enough to judge whether or not it’s suitable for you, but not enough to get much done with it.