Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grand Piano auv3 by pablo lopez

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1528998927

Description:

Grand Piano auv3 brings you the sound of the classic instrument to your iPad and iPhone.
It can be used as standalone app or as auv3 inside DAWs apps like Garage Band or Beatmaker3.

-Full key multi sampled.
-High quality samples.
-1.5GB sounds.
-Poliphonic.

Standalone:
-Number of keys.
-Octave.
-Volume.

Demo videos on developer site.

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 13.0
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• Great. Will compare to Ravencroft. It seems a good price.

• edited August 2020

This sucks. Samples clip off at the end of the note. Wtf is that? And 1.7gb no less. I feel sorry for Pablo.

• Did you buy the app, Michael? Or did you just listen to those horrible samples on the website?

• Ravenscroft it is

• Bought. It is terrible. Money well spent😂😂😂

• @ExAsperis99, yes, the horrible but apparently accurate samples.

• McDMcD
    edited August 2020

It does the sustained notes reasonably well so it could be a nice budget piano for ambient music making:

But the short note releases need some tweaking:

There's a effect quality that could be interesting at high speeds I'll bet.

REMEMBER IT'S ON SALE FOR $3. I say get it for AUv3 ambient if the $36 RC275 is out of reach for you.

The samples are good but the releases need to be fixed for most of us to use it often. There's no app for "Release Softening" and making one would require implementing significant lag time to detect the sudden drop in volumes and roll the gain down before the drop. Sounds like a job for Drambo @rs2000. (He's got Drambo FX creation down to an art).

Pablo Lopez has also made a Micro version (49.6MB) for the Apple Watch for $1.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/micrograndpiano/id1502022593

• @McD you certainly make this sound better than the samples on the dev site!

• edited August 2020

@McD I could do a lot but not that. I could fake something but it wouldn't sound authentic. Drambo cannot increase note lengths magically without having access to the samples.
    It's certainly a better idea to use proper piano samples in AudioLayer, Drambo, NS2, bs-16i.

Does the sucky piano support a sustain pedal so one could at least use it that way?
    Edit: Oh, I guess that's how you recorded the first demo?

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    @McD you certainly make this sound better than the samples on the dev site!

I just grabbed 2 typical MIDI files... one for the long notes and one to show the "release"
    artifacts. I think some will actually like the release artifacts as a manipulated piano.
    For $3 I say get it and politely request updates to change the "release" events.

Not sure what the final price will be so $3 is a deal and if it gets modified to fix the releases
    it competes pretty well with several other pianos and many will like it's Yamaha like tone.
    It's a lot like the Salamander in tone.

• Version: 1.1 is out:

Fix an issue that caused short notes to not sound correctly.

• aaaand that was quick.

• @White, any new demos? @McD, one more chance to shine.

• Gentlemen and piano hounds: Any reason for this if one loves Ravenscroft etc? Much as I like to encourage devs etc....

• @JohnnyGoodyear, well, there’s the price. But there are free pianos that are better and Ravenscroft is $16 when it’s on sale. Still, I am waiting for the Mighty McD to weigh in.

• 1.7 gb?
    I applaud the effort, but that’s too much for me.
    For now, I’m sticking with the quite excellent Bosendorfer and Chateau soundfonts.

• The releases have been fixed. Here's a piece that emphasizes short notes to test the release sounds. After 40 seconds I got bored and decided to test it's ability to process MIDI events.
    Then I slowed it way down to hear each note's sample quality, then I tried out some ToneBoosters reverb settings (Shimmers, Dungeon, etc). I like it and at $3 it deserves our support. I could see a series of sampled instruments using this sound and MIDI processing engine. Especially strings, horns, etc. I ran 10 copies of this app in AUM and the DSP stayed well under 30%.

Nice work Pablo Lopez. Keep making sampled instruments. It's a real cash cow and your
    engine will make a lot of DAW's more useful for film music because the great sample AUv3's are too CPU heavy or they crash a lot. (I need to test this app in Cubasis 2 and 3 doing a "freeze").

• @LinearLineman said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear, well, there’s the price. But there are free pianos that are better and Ravenscroft is $16 when it’s on sale. Still, I am waiting for the Mighty McD to weigh in.

Thank you Sir. I have Ravenscroft and like it plenty. Just a bit perplexed that it looks as though I'm going to have to pass on a perfectly good well-priced app on the basis that I can't think of any good reason for me to buy it. Especially as it is also rather large....they'll be another bus along in a minute I'm sure...

• McDMcD
    edited August 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Thank you Sir. I have Ravenscroft and like it plenty. Just a bit perplexed that it looks as though I'm going to have to pass on a perfectly good well-priced app on the basis that I can't think of any good reason for me to buy it.

I usually buy extra pianos for the tone and because sending $'s to developers leads to more products from that developer. Salamander doesn't run by itself so you must pay the $8 to get BS-16i.

Here's how the Ravenscroft 275 tone compares to the Grand Piano AUv3. YMMV.

• It’s not too bad!

I loaded it in AUM and doesn’t seem to have much output even with channel gain up all the way...

• edited August 2020

@McD, you just got Benny Hill out of his grave. What preset in RC275? Classic?

Haha, just saw your Benny Hill tribute. Total, but not surprising coincidence.

• McDMcD
    edited August 2020

@lsd87 said:
    It’s not too bad!

I loaded it in AUM and doesn’t seem to have much output even with channel gain up all the way...

I recommend using the AUM "Dynamics Gain" widget to boost the signal and any number of AUv3 FX with INPUT/OUTPUT GAIN controls.

I gave Grand Piano AUv3 a little FX treatment and made a recording contrasting it with another piano app. I leave a noticeable sound gap between the apps and give each 2 plays.

Compare A and B and comment. I'll provide more details after some feedback.

• edited August 2020

2nd and 4th sections have a lot more depth and more natural sounding mids and highs, so that's gotta be Ravenscroft?
    (that's referring to the duelling pianos clips, and thanks for the demos!)

• One more sonic comparison. Three Piano Apps each get 30 seconds with the Bill Evans Robot:

• @SimonSomeone said:
    2nd and 4th sections have a lot more depth and more natural sounding mids and highs, so that's gotta be Ravenscroft?

Agree. And those two apps are reversed for the "three pianos" clip, and #3 is something else entirely, I think.

• @SimonSomeone said:
    (that's referring to the duelling pianos clips, and thanks for the demos!)

Yes.

A = Grand Piano AUv3 with a touch of reverb added played 1st and 3rd
    B = Ravenscoft out fo the box played 2nd and 4th

• McDMcD
    edited August 2020

@celtic_elk said:

@SimonSomeone said:

Agree. And those two apps are reversed for the "three pianos" clip, and #3 is something else entirely, I think.

OK.

1 is the new instrument
    Crudebytes oft overlooked "CMP Piano" using it's "Jazz Piano" I could have also thrown in the "Grand Piano".

2 Is Ravencroft 275

3 is Grand Piano with every FX tool I could find to make it sound as close to the Ravenscroft as possible:

• Bark Filter w Triple Band+Limiter
    • Magic Death Eye Stereo to enhance mid range
    • Parametric Equalizer to shape the spectrum to ear
    • AUM PAN to move the piano to towards the center of the stereo image
    • Tone Boosters reverb
    • ThAFKnAR with an OwnHammer IR to place in a larger room with more distant mic'ing
    • Wider by Infected Mushroom for more roominess

It is a very close mic'ed sample and needs some room added... some may prefer not having any reverb to start.

Thanks for playing @SimonSomeone and @celtic_elk and anyone that played while I was typing this up.

• edited August 2020

@McD said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Thank you Sir. I have Ravenscroft and like it plenty. Just a bit perplexed that it looks as though I'm going to have to pass on a perfectly good well-priced app on the basis that I can't think of any good reason for me to buy it.

I usually buy extra pianos for the tone and because sending $'s to developers leads to more products from that developer. Salamander doesn't run by itself so you must pay the $8 to get BS-16i.

Here's how the Ravenscroft 275 tone compares to the Grand Piano AUv3. YMMV.

You could always run Salamander from Auria or get SoundFonts the app for 1.99$

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/soundfonts/id1453325077

• Clearly my ears need some tuning up. 😄 Thanks for the taste test @McD.