Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IDAM...anyone using lately?

Hey everyone! Hope all of you are well. I am still alive. I message some of you but have not been super active.

Anyone using IDAM w IPad and Mac currently?

Thinking about trying it as a set up.

Or - recommendations on a Interface that has audio/midi/USB as another suggestion. Multi In-Out.

Thanks

Comments

• Same as @WillieNegus I use it all the time. I plug the iPad straight into the Mac as a controller (LK), sequencer (various apps) and audio source. Works perfectly.

• Yes, it works great. I too use an external soundcard for synth and guitar input and combine that with the iPad into an aggregate device. Together with AUM it is nearly perfect. My only wish would be to be able to send audio from Mac to iPad for effects and then send it back.

• +1
    In addition to sending sounds from iOS synths, I send midi sequences that I probably couldn't make in Live. Example, I recently made a complex polymeric drum sequence in 'Patterning 2' and then print into Ableton. There's no freakin' way I could have done that via mouse clicks in Ableton Live.

• @WillieNegus said:
    Use it all the time. It's amazing. I use it to:

play iOS synths and instruments into their own tracks in Maschine/Logic.
    Sample Tidal, iTunes, Youtube, Netflix or anything else playing on iPad/iPhone
    Sample ambient sounds, my voice, etc.
    Play my Desktop synths using iOS midi apps
    resist paying desktop prices for apps that have iOS ports already

Super simple set up in your Audio/Midi setup app. Create as an aggregate device and have fun!

I primarily use Apogee Element interface which is badass and the best value for the money imo but I recently picked up a Yamaha AG06 which is a Mixer and an Interface, sounds amazing and has everything you need plus onboard EQ, Verb, Comp for an unbelievable price.

Cool! Got any pics of the rig?

• @MonzoPro said:
    Same as @WillieNegus I use it all the time. I plug the iPad straight into the Mac as a controller (LK), sequencer (various apps) and audio source. Works perfectly.

To MAC or thru a USB hub?

• @DatGood said:
    +1
    In addition to sending sounds from iOS synths, I send midi sequences that I probably couldn't make in Live. Example, I recently made a complex polymeric drum sequence in 'Patterning 2' and then print into Ableton. There's no freakin' way I could have done that via mouse clicks in Ableton Live.

Vids of said session or set uP?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Same as @WillieNegus I use it all the time. I plug the iPad straight into the Mac as a controller (LK), sequencer (various apps) and audio source. Works perfectly.

To MAC or thru a USB hub?

Both I think, plus I use it over wifi too.

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@MonzoPro said:

Wait. Whut?? IDAM over WiFi?

• @wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

Should have clarified that bit is just wireless MIDI.

• @MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

Should have clarified that bit is just wireless MIDI.

:o

• @WillieNegus said:

@Eriko said:
    Yes, it works great. I too use an external soundcard for synth and guitar input and combine that with the iPad into an aggregate device. Together with AUM it is nearly perfect. My only wish would be to be able to send audio from Mac to iPad for effects and then send it back.

How likely do you think a two way audio update is?

I know as much as you.

• Am I the only guy who suffers unacceptable latency with IDAM?
    (MacBook Pro 2015/iPad pro 2017)

• @Ploe said:
    Am I the only guy who suffers unacceptable latency with IDAM?
    (MacBook Pro 2015/iPad pro 2017)

Zero latency for me, and that’s with a 2012 MBP and Air2.

@WillieNegus said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@WillieNegus said:
    Use it all the time. It's amazing. I use it to:

play iOS synths and instruments into their own tracks in Maschine/Logic.
    Sample Tidal, iTunes, Youtube, Netflix or anything else playing on iPad/iPhone
    Sample ambient sounds, my voice, etc.
    Play my Desktop synths using iOS midi apps
    resist paying desktop prices for apps that have iOS ports already

Super simple set up in your Audio/Midi setup app. Create as an aggregate device and have fun!

I primarily use Apogee Element interface which is badass and the best value for the money imo but I recently picked up a Yamaha AG06 which is a Mixer and an Interface, sounds amazing and has everything you need plus onboard EQ, Verb, Comp for an unbelievable price.

Cool! Got any pics of the rig?

Don’t have all of my gear here in Florida but i still have the iPad connected via idam, sending audio/receiving midi through a usb hub. Maschine on that hub with my Project Carbon turntable and Mic directly into Maschine Mk3. I typically run the audio thru my Element or AG06 but they didn’t make the trip this time.

Maschine Jam handles step sequencing and clip launching in Maschine. M32 controls Komplete Kontrol/Maschine keys as well as iPad if playing keys. Launchpad also sequences instruments, controls iPad (BM3) and Logic Pro. Logic Remote is also open in Background which controls Logic Mixer and Transport.

I like this setup because between MK3 and IPad I don’t need to look at the monitor or use the mouse for anything. Even when sampling vinyl or mixing, everything is done on hardware. The computer is just processing power.

Ugh, reminded me again - I need to do some proper Mk3 + Maschine stuff. Come on Monzo, sort yourself out!

• edited September 2021

It took me forever to find out about IDAM. It has completely transformed how I record… as of yesterday! It’s fantastic! After thinking I had to buy a costly new box to get my iPad Pro to connect to my iMac (and no money left to do such a thing), I got desperate and started researching the problem in earnest. That's when I came across this: https://www.cultofmac.com/615742/how-to-record-digital-audio-from-your-iphone-to-your-mac-with-idam/

And by the way, this is another very useful concept for creating what Apple calls an "Aggregate Device": https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

• Is IDAM a program I have to purchase? I have been emailing tracks to myself
    To download them as then importing them into pro tools 11 to record vocals and mix. My Mac is OS 10.4 to run Pro tools

• @ralis said:
    Is IDAM a program I have to purchase? I have been emailing tracks to myself
    To download them as then importing them into pro tools 11 to record vocals and mix. My Mac is OS 10.4 to run Pro tools

Read the two story links I posted, above.

• @ralis nope, it's part of the OS, as described in the article linked by @NeuM above, though it was implemented in OS X 10.11

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @ralis nope, it's part of the OS, as described in the article linked by @NeuM above, though it was implemented in OS X 10.11

It is a completely hidden and obscure part of macOS. I just can’t believe I only found out about it this week. My productivity is skyrocketing now.

• @ralis said:

If you can update to 10.9 you can use Airdrop, which is fabulous.

I've been trying to find what version of macOS introduced iDAM. It could be your OS is too old.

• @wim it first appeared in El Capitan (10.11) according to the slides here: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2015/507

• Thanks! Bookmarked. I don't know how many times I've gone off searching fo that little bit of info.

• edited September 2021

No problem! It should also be mentioned that they only added MIDI support at a later version, it was only audio at first.

Edit: found it, macOS 10.11 + iOS 11
    https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/501

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@ralis said:

If you can't update to 10.9 to use Airdrop, you might want to look into setting up file sharing. This would enable you to copy files to/from the Mac from the iOS Files App.

You could also just copy to a thumb drive attached to the iPad with the Apple CCK or other reader, then plug that into your Mac. Anything is better than email.

• I am phasing out pro tools as soon as I finish the current projects then I can update from 10.5 to something more current.
    Thank you all I think I will go thumb drive until I get IDAM