Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Great Hunt for Virtual Guitar Tone - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

Comments

• @SNystrom said:
    Well, if you look at the files folder for Thafknar, (at least in mine) the zip files remain zipped. Haven't tried placing non-zipped files in there, but I guess you might be able to do that...

You can unzip the files inside Thafknar by clicking on them. This exposes the individual wav files to load and use. The zip files aren't "loadable" on their own - they need to be unzipped inside Thafknar before you can use them.

• I dunno, @Daveypoo. All my files in the folder are still zipped and I'm unable to import unzipped files into Thafknar from Dropbox...

But who knows?

I do know that after months of failing to correctly spell Thafknar, Apple's auto-spell now offers it to me as a option! 🤗

• @SNystrom said:
    I dunno, @Daveypoo. All my files in the folder are still zipped and I'm unable to import unzipped files into Thafknar from Dropbox...

But who knows?

I do know that after months of failing to correctly spell Thafknar, Apple's auto-spell now offers it to me as a option! 🤗

When you import IRs in THAFKNAR, they are unzipped into a directory you won’t see in Files. I fact, you can delete the zip after you have imported them.

• @SNystrom said:
    I dunno, @Daveypoo. All my files in the folder are still zipped and I'm unable to import unzipped files into Thafknar from Dropbox...

But who knows?

And, yes you can import individual files into it. I believe the manual describes the process.

• So, @espiegel123, you this is will be easy for Markus ( @polaron_de ) to let us eliminate individual files easily?

And I can save iPad space by deleting my zips?

I don't know who has been more helpful to me here, you, or Prefossor @McD!

• @SNystrom said:
    ... or Prefossor @McD!

Thats' spelled Pre-fossil McD.

Five different types of fossils are body fossils, molds and casts, petrification fossils, footprints and trackways, and coprolites.

I'm shooting for "body".

• edited August 2020

• @espiegel123 said:

And, yes you can import individual files into it. I believe the manual describes the process.

You can import individual files (they go into the "User" IR set), and you can import a zip file (which gives a new IR set with the zip file's name).

In the IR library view of the Thafknar app you can delete individual files, and you can delete IR sets.

The imported data is in a directory that is shared between the Thafknar app and the AUv3 extension. The Files app does not show these "app group" directories, sadly.

Best Regards,
    Markus

• Nice try, McD! 😊

But you'll always be the professor to me!

An incredible amount of knowledge you generously share with us in the forum for years — even before I actually created an account.

Truly appreciate what you have contributed to my musical advancement...

• @SNystrom said:
    Nice try, McD! 😊

But you'll always be the professor to me!

An incredible amount of knowledge you generously share with us in the forum for years — even before I actually created an account.

Truly appreciate what you have contributed to my musical advancement...

It nice to have a place to connect with musicians and tech lovers in a friendly environment. No other forum has this level of participation and quality dialogue.

• Thanks for a deep dive into an endless topic, @Daveypoo !

• edited August 2020

@Lady_App_titude said:
    Thanks for a deep dive into an endless topic, @Daveypoo !

You're very welcome - just trying to keep that can of worms WIDE open :D

• @Daveypoo said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    Thanks for a deep dive into an endless topic, @Daveypoo !

You're very welcome - just trying to keep that can of worms WIDE open :D

I do hope you decide to demo those Joyo pedals for the benefit of the AB Forum.
    They are relatively cheap (for a 9V pedal) and really compete well with TH-U, Nembrini and GE Labs. I have the Fender and the Vox models. I'll bet you have the Marshall. The Mesa Boogie is probably something I'd like but I have learned that Mesa Boogie is a great metal
    amp. I always associated it with Carlos Santana so I thought it was a sweet blues amp.

When they say Fender they make a tone knob that sweeps it across different amp styles from Fender so it's a take on many Fender amps in a box.

So if you have the products, I'd love the video demo. There are some on Youtube but none that highlight using them with IOS apps for music production purposes. Sometimes just getting a little signal boost before going into the iPad can make a huge difference in how an Amp Sim behaves. Guitar session players swear by a basic EQ pedal to boost bands of frequencies to make a recording shine. I watched a Tim Pierce video where he showed how he mixes Shure 57's and Royer 122(?) to dial in crispy 57's with mid rich Royers in his session work. He keeps the 4x12 speaker cabinet down in his basement and uses monitors and headphones in his home studio set up. That way he can crank the amp and not disturb the neighbors. The speaker room is probably lined with sound absorbers.

Scott Henderson actually build a bunker like room to hold his mic'ed Marshall Cabinet. Something tells me someone makes a big cabinet to hold a cranked speaker cabinet inside and keep the sound away from the surrounding area.

• Don't worry - this is on my road map, especially since the response to this video has been so positive. It may be a bit before I do the follow up as there's a bit more diligence I need to do in advance, but this one is definitely on the trajectory.

I appreciate the soft goading, sir 😉

• edited August 2020

‘And when it was finished, he filled it with soft goading.’

‘It was a soft goading of things still to come.’

‘There was a chill in the air like the soft goading of winter.’

There are so many ways to use that phrase. It’s even a place name. In Dorset, I think.

• @Daveypoo Many thanks for another excellent tutorial. I've learned a ton from you, @flo26, and the other regulars on these guitar threads.

Having used Ownhammer cabs for several years in Logic, I've learned to manage the IR files efficiently and mostly avoid the paralysis that comes from having so many options. Hopefully this approach will be useful:

• Purchase the (r)Evolution Debut Bundle, a phenomenal deal at $29.99 and likely all the cabs you'll ever need.
    • Choose mono or stereo. Mono makes more sense to me but make a choice before you continue knowing that you can always come back to this point.
    • Choose your sample rate. Unless someone sends me a 48k file, I always work in 44.1 / 24 bit resolution but OH gives you options at 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96k. Choose one and move on.
    • Drill all the way down the folder structure for each of the 12 cab+speaker types. The very last folder is labelled "Summary" and it contains a kind of "best of" collection for that particular cabinet. These Summary IRs are all I ever need or use. In fact, the one with no descriptor at the end of its filename (e.g. not SS, M-) is supposed to be the most representative or useful of them all so try that one first.
    • To make make all of this work efficiently, I gave a descriptive name to each of the 12 Summary folders (e.g. "112 DVRB") and dragged them into a new top level folder called "OH rEV Summary 44.1k". It's that folder that ends up in your IR player of choice, in my case IMPULSation on iOS and Space Designer in Logic.

So, you'll have 12 different cab/speaker combinations, with 8 high quality variations of each, in a flattened folder structure that makes them immediately accessible. And you'll save a LOT of storage space. My working OH library is only 2.7MB.

And @Daveypoo, thanks again for helping us all become better iOS amp-slingers.

• Adding a visual of the file structure. This is from the Mac but it's the same on the iPad...

• Wow! thanks So much @Schmotown. I too bought the evolution pack and have already made a mess with just a couple of the downloads. I somehow managed to get two of them into thafknar but I've dL one of the stereo cabs and can't get it into thafknar from the files app. The long press gives me share or open but thafknar doesn't show up as an option. Getting it into IMPULSation was much easier but I'm not sure how to use that app as well. Dry, wet settings seems to have some delay. I'm thinking about deleting everything and starting over. Any advice ?

• edited August 2020

@Bootsy really glad I could help. I’ve never used thafknar. After some fumbling around, I think I’ve got IMPULSation working well for cabs. Assuming you’ve organized the summary files like I suggested above, and that you have your new, high level OH folder “On My iPad” in the iPadOS Files app, try this:

• On the left side of the IMPULSation file browser, create a new library (NEW LIB) called OH rEV Summary 44k (the app doesn’t like 44.1) or 48k or whatever sample rate you chose
    • Make sure OH rEV Summary 44k is highlighted in the leftmost column
    • On the right side of the browser, click IMPORT, choose “Import IR Folder” from the dropdown menu, navigate to your top level OH IR folder, and click “Done”. All the individual Summary folders should show up in the BANK column and the individual IR files will show up under IMPULSE. The import function works really well if you follow that sequence. (I’ll post a screenshot in minute.)
    • You could create presets for all 96 IR files but after messing with that, I settled on a quicker, more spontaneous way to audition and select cabinets...
    • Open the “Init” preset in IMPULSation
    • Turn the “WET” knob all the way up and the “DRY” knob all the way down, leaving all the other settings alone for now
    • Click the black “LOAD IMPULSE” window (which may be preloaded with Lex 200 01)
    • Navigate to your new OH library, then to the Summary folder of choice and select one of the IR cab files
    • Play some guitar, then try some cabs from the other Summary folders

IMPORTANT: As Davey and Flo have said, make sure the cabinet in your amp sim is off, bypassed or disabled. This is handled differently in different sim apps and / or different presets. I have Overloud, Nembrini, GE Labs, Tonestack, and Bias Amps (I know, it’s a sickness) so I can help you defeat the cabinet in any of those as needed.

ONE LAST NOTE: I’ve adopted Flo’s signal chain in AUM: Compressor —> Amp SIM —> Cab IR —> Reverb with other effects inserted to taste. It’s fast, flexible, and a helluva lot of fun to build amps this way.

If I can be of further assistance, don’t hesitate to ask. I’m glad to be giving something back after having taken so much from this community.

• To illustrate the post above...

• Awesome posts @Schmotown! As I should try to add some useful content... how do you find IR reverbs vs algorithmic - I have several of the latter, zero experience of IR (oh... maybe in Logic a decade ago...)

• Thanks for the Impulsation tips, @Schmotown! I’ve had that app on my ‘pad for months and had no idea how to get my IRs in!

Can you load .zip files in it or not???

• I especially love how easy it is to delete IRs in Impusation. This is going to save me from a ton of THAFKNAR headaches 🤣

• edited August 2020

@MadGav said:
    Awesome posts @Schmotown! As I should try to add some useful content... how do you find IR reverbs vs algorithmic - I have several of the latter, zero experience of IR (oh... maybe in Logic a decade ago...)

Thanks @MadGav. I like and use all types of reverb. IR reverbs usually sound more realistic to me and I tend to use rooms and occasionally chambers rather than halls or plates. I’m not sure why. I guess its because I want just a little bit of space around an instrument or voice. On the algorithmic side, I use the TB Reverb, Blackhole, and recently Adverb2 which is a warm, organic plate simulation (thanks Flo).

Things can get muddy with reverb so lately I lean more toward keeping it dry and using reverb and delay as “special” effects. Here’s an example. Some friends and I have been producing songs remotely and I snatched a few tracks from what will eventually be a more traditional cover to do this quasi-techno-folk remix in Logic. I played acoustic (L&R channels), replaced the drums, and messed with everything else.

There’s a short, unnatural plate reverb on the male background vocal and a short delay on the female lead (both Soundtoys plugins). That’s it for reverb, I think. Folks who hang out on threads like this may enjoy knowing that the raunchy electric guitar on the third verse is actually an acoustic guitar track played by someone else and run through the mighty Nembrini Mrh810 amp sim. That probably had some native amp reverb on it.

Here she is: Angel From Arcturus

• @SNystrom said:
    Thanks for the Impulsation tips, @Schmotown! I’ve had that app on my ‘pad for months and had no idea how to get my IRs in!

Can you load .zip files in it or not???

I don’t know, @SNystrom. What worked best for me was to first get the folders and files just right on a Mac, then move them onto the iPad via iCloud Drive. Maybe just try to import a zip file and see what happens, or ask the developer.

• Yeah I tried without succes, and am just hoping it was "operator error!" 🤓

Definitely need to break-up those Ownhammer files on a Mac. I have their free Mesa 4x12 selection and it's truly massive. Will be waiting for a Black Friday sale to pick-up the Evolution pack and perhaps a couple others.

• @Daveypoo said:
    Don't worry - this is on my road map, especially since the response to this video has been so positive. It may be a bit before I do the follow up as there's a bit more diligence I need to do in advance, but this one is definitely on the trajectory.

Please, please, please, make sure the pedals don't sound better than the apps. My wallet thanks you in advance.

• @wim said:

@Daveypoo said:
    Don't worry - this is on my road map, especially since the response to this video has been so positive. It may be a bit before I do the follow up as there's a bit more diligence I need to do in advance, but this one is definitely on the trajectory.

Please, please, please, make sure the pedals don't sound better than the apps. My wallet thanks you in advance.

They sound comparable. The pedals are only $40 USD each, so they wouldn't break the bank, but the apps are still cheaper. 😉

• So back to @Daveypoo's original video:

You realize that on the Nembrini desktop app you can use not one, not two, but three IRs???

Crazy, right?!?!

Guess how many instances of THAFKNAR I'll be playing with tonight! 🤗

Your front/back mic-mix is a real gem of a combo. Perhaps an added cap postion (or something else) can improve on perfection... or just muddy it all up!

• edited August 2020

@SNystrom said:
    So back to @Daveypoo's original video:

You realize that on the Nembrini desktop app you can use not one, not two, but three IRs???

Crazy, right?!?!

Guess how many instances of THAFKNAR I'll be playing with tonight! 🤗

Your front/back mic-mix is a real gem of a combo. Perhaps an added cap postion (or something else) can improve on perfection... or just muddy it all up!

There are even "room" mics included with a number of the OH cabs so you can get the sound of the room they recorded these in.
    There are a ton of different combinations of mics. Also, try mixing cabs - maybe one Thafknar is a Marshall 412 but the other Thafknar is a Fender 112, for example.