Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Great Hunt for Virtual Guitar Tone - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

Comments

• @Bootsy I used a number of different cabs in the video, some of which I bought and a few I got from a buddy for the video:

410 SPRVRB
    Studio Mix Collection (112 DLX)
    112 DVRB
    112 DLXVRB (NO LONGER AVAILABLE)
    212 MR66
    412 MRBW GNR M25

But look - don't go with the these just because I used them. Go with what you know to start with. If you have amps you've liked in real life, try to find something that is similar. If you're new to guitar amps in general, figure out what amps are played by your favorite guitarists and start there. Just remember - they may not sound like you think they will, and that's part of the fun!

• @Bootsy said:
    Awesome video @Daveypoo! Thanks for all the back an forth comparisons of the different ir cabs and the built in ones, this was very helpful. I'm looking at the ownhammer ir's now and I too am overwhelmed with all the options. Which bundle did you end up buying? I'm thinking maybe the evolution bundle but I don't know.

Go for it!
    It’s a super versatile pack with everything you need in it!
    You won’t be disappointed.
    Same thing for you @Daveypoo .

• I enjoyed that @Daveypoo , going to give some of those techniques a go.

We have so many options these days it’s good to get an overview of what works for some people. Trying to play more and tweak less these days.

• Thanks @Daveypoo and @flo26. I bought the evolution pack. Had no idea how big the files were. Wow! Any help getting these into Thafknar would be greatly appreciated. Also do you use the stereo or mono files? Thanks again,
    Bernie

• @Bootsy said:
    Thanks @Daveypoo and @flo26. I bought the evolution pack. Had no idea how big the files were. Wow! Any help getting these into Thafknar would be greatly appreciated. Also do you use the stereo or mono files? Thanks again,
    Bernie

@espiegel123 from a previous thread:

"So, to get your IRs into the reverb, you first get your IR files into the THAFKNAR app -- which can be done any number of ways. Once the files are there, tap an hold a file and choose Copy To Impulse Responses.

Now, that you have imported the IR, tap on Parameters in the lower "tab bar". When in Parameters, tap on Convolution in the upper tab bar. The IR you just imported will appear in the User set. You will see a list of all the available "sets" (IR folders) on the right side of the window.

The IR should now be available in the AU.

Remember when using cabinet IRs to use the full wet setting. Also, if you are using a mono source, you may want set up the plugin to use only the left (or right) input and left (or right) output to minimize the CPU hit."

• A common problem for many (myself included) is just getting them into Thafknar in the first place. If that's the issue, try this:

Add the zip in the folder of the files app for Thafknar and then go to files in Thafknar and long press the zip and hit unpack.

• cool thnx you are ready for primetime/big show @Daveypoo

• Thanks @SNystrom and @zah, i think I figured it out by trial and error. Its definitely a rabbit hole, holy shit!
    For some reason I've got all 44.1, 48, 96, which triples the 100s of file already. Crazy. Problem now is in aum they are so small they're really hard to read. I think I should have started with just one cab. Oh well.

• I almost wrote a cautionary comment about the OwnHammer bundles:

There ARE hundreds of IR recordings. Over 1GB in my case, as I recall.

I decided to keep specific sub-folders and not keep the rest on my iPad.
    I try to keep them stuffed up into the cloud because disk space on my laptop is also
    at a premium and I tend not to trust external drives.

My approach to OwnHammer options have been to audition based upon the recording length: I prefer the 500 msec versions because they seem to bring out the best imaging.
    Then I settled on 48Khz (or 44.1) in lieu of the 96Khz size. These decisions are a bit of a tradeoff between file size and the CPU effort to use the larger IR sizes in ThAFNAR and iConvolver and Fiddlicator and Midiculous iFX.

And I still haven't developed the habit of 2 running 2 IR instances to try the front & back of cabinet mix instances. Anyway, I have a couple IR's that just seem to make anything sound better that I generally start with and I rarely play the "flipping through" IR's seeking perfect tone. I just like the instant sense of a "room" that emerges with an IR reverb in the signal path.

We have had an explosions of Guitar Tools in the last year: Amp Sim's, Guitar Synths, IR Reverbs and Saturator Apps. New vendors selling their backlog of desktop apps on IOS:
    Nembrini Audio, Overloud, Mooer (GE Labs) and the expansion of IK Multimedia's Amplitube IAP's. Soon, (I expect) Bias FX will ship an update and Yonac will offer an follow on to ToneStack. It looks like ToneBridge is retreating or freezing their work since the 2 primary developers have moved on after 8 years of effort.

Videos like this one will bring more guitar players to the forum and they will share their skills and tips with us while they ask the right questions about DAW's, FX'es and apps.

If you play guitar and don't have MIDI Guitar 2 you're really missing a world of fun. It's expensive to get the whole suite of IAP's but well worth the investment because it opens the world of IOS Synths and FX'es to your fretboard. No one in your band will see it coming and they'll be looking around for the keyboard player. It's crazy fun and for a solo looper type it's a huge capability with baselines, PAD's, complex FX and solo's that sound like a saxophone or cello.

• edited August 2020

Ok - so here's what I did with the OwnHammer downloads.

Firstly, I separated out the "Quick Start" folders for each cabinet at 200ms & 44.1 Hz. Then I made these into separate ZIP files that I then imported into AudioShare and used that to send the files to Thafknar, unzipping them inside Thafknar. I chose MONO only files since that's similar to how I'd have it in a physical studio setting.

You can see if my video just how many files I ended up with using ONLY Quick Mix, Mono, 200ms, 44.1 Hz files, so you definitely need to come up with your own criteria to manage these.

You're welcome @noob

@Bootsy I hope that helps.

• @Daveypoo said:
    Ok - so here's what I did with the OwnHammer downloads.

Firstly, I separated out the "Quick Start" folders for each cabinet at 200ms & 44.1 Hz. Then I made these into separate ZIP files that I then imported into AudioShare and used that to send the files to Thafknar, unzipping them inside Thafknar. I chose MONO only files since that's similar to how I'd have it in a physical studio setting.

You can see if my video just how many files I ended up with using ONLY Quick Mix, Mono, 200ms, 44.1 Hz files, so you definitely need to come up with your own criteria to manage these.

You're welcome @noob

@Bootsy I hope that helps.

THat's a good approach. I'll try that but use the 500ms files since I hear a big improvement
    to justify the file size and CPU. OwnHammer does give away some free 200ms samples for anyone wanting to see the benefit of IR's behind their amp sim's. Of course, the cabinet sim's inside the amp sim products will be very small IR's to reduce produce size and free the CPU. Being able to go with 500msec at 96MHz maybe be just the sound you're looking for to approach "reality" on a recording.

• I have spent most of the morning moving my vast collection of cab IRs from Dropbox into Thafknar. I literally have thousands of new cabs to demo!

What the hell have I done?!?!?!?! 😳

Talk about a never-ending rabbit hole!!!!

If only I had paused for a moment to read McD's thoughtful detailed post above...

Now I even have duplicate files in Thafknar.

Be careful what you wish for! For the longest time I was trying like crazy to get the files INTO Thafknar.

NOW, how the heck do you eliminate them???

• For those who want to play with Ir without spending any money.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/39975/free-ir-cab-collection-for-download

• @SNystrom said:
    I have spent most of the morning moving my vast collection of cab IRs from Dropbox into Thafknar. I literally have thousands of new cabs to demo!

What the hell have I done?!?!?!?! 😳

Talk about a never-ending rabbit hole!!!!

If only I had paused for a moment to read McD's thoughtful detailed post above...

Now I even have duplicate files in Thafknar.

Be careful what you wish for! For the longest time I was trying like crazy to get the files INTO Thafknar.

NOW, how the heck do you eliminate them???

Delete and reload ThAFNAR for the fastest route to sanity and start again.

• edited August 2020

@ecou said:
    For those who want to play with Ir without spending any money.

Yes - this is a great collection, however be warned that these vary WILDLY in quality, and I've found that they don't even compare to the OwnHammer ones. It's fine to play around with these to get an idea of functionality, but these are not representative of the breadth of guitar-specific IR files out there.

This is not to encourage you to spend money, and is certainly not an ad for OwnHammer - just some observations I had after messing with these at first then moving to the OH ones.

Proceed with caution! ;)

@SNystrom - I started doing this at first and immediately realized the error of my ways. I ended up deleting everything I'd imported and starting from scratch with my own "condensed" ZIP files as described above. I still ended up with THOUSANDS of files, but it was somewhat more manageable.

• @Daveypoo said:

@ecou said:
    For those who want to play with Ir without spending any money.

Yes - this is a great collection, however be warned that these vary WILDLY in quality, and I've found that they don't even compare to the OwnHammer ones. It's fine to play around with these to get an idea of functionality, but these are not representative of the breadth of guitar-specific IR files out there.

This is not to encourage you to spend money, and is certainly not an ad for OwnHammer - just some observations I had after messing with these at first then moving to the OH ones.

Proceed with caution! ;)

You get what you pay for 😎

• Great!

So I deleted Thafknar and reinstalled, and now when I try to restore the AUv3 functionality, it won't restore and wants me to pay the full $2.99 AGAIN!!!!!

MARKUS!!! @polaron_de can you please help me?!?!?!

• Don't worry. The app store does not charge you anything when you perform an IAP again (via the same account). And in the IAP page of Thafknar there is an option to reinstall all previously purchased items.

• You are on the ball, Markus!

Thanks for the awesome service! 👍🏻

• @SNystrom said:
    Great!

So I deleted Thafknar and reinstalled, and now when I try to restore the AUv3 functionality, it won't restore and wants me to pay the full $2.99 AGAIN!!!!!

MARKUS!!! @polaron_de can you please help me?!?!?!

Yes. That IAP re-purchase required feature happens in many apps.

There's a $54 IAP in Colossus Piano that scares me every time I need to re-load the app which is often since it takes up 12GB for just one piano model. But you press that button and pray you don't need to fight for a refund.

I love it when an app has a "restore" for IAP's that works without having to hit "BUY".

• No kidding!

A$54 IAP?!?!? Yikes! That would have me on the restore edge for sure!!!

• So @McD, how do you determine the msec and Khzs on the Ownhammer IRs?

I have a free Mesa 4x12 cab and there's a ton of files, but not seeing the differentiation between these factors...

Also, does anyone know if Ownhammer ever puts their IRs on sale — perhaps for Black Friday? 🙏🏼

• @SNystrom said:
    So @McD, how do you determine the msec and Khzs on the Ownhammer IRs?

I have a free Mesa 4x12 cab and there's a ton of files, but not seeing the differentiation between these factors...

Also, does anyone know if Ownhammer ever puts their IRs on sale — perhaps for Black Friday? 🙏🏼

Typically these are indicated in the folder structure. When I dive in to mine, there are separate folders for 44.1 HZ, 48 HZ, etc. and within those, there are separate 500ms & 200ms files for each bit rate.

• I just dumped the entire zip into Thafknar, so I guess I'll have to go back and unzip the file somewhere and "filter!" 🙃

Thanks, @Daveypoo!

• @SNystrom said:
    I just dumped the entire zip into Thafknar, so I guess I'll have to go back and unzip the file somewhere and "filter!" 🙃

Thanks, @Daveypoo!

Yeah - it's REALLY hard to manage everything in Thafknar as their file management system leaves a bit to be desired. Best to sort before importing into Thafknar, for sure.

• @Daveypoo said:

@SNystrom said:
    I just dumped the entire zip into Thafknar, so I guess I'll have to go back and unzip the file somewhere and "filter!" 🙃

Thanks, @Daveypoo!

Yeah - it's REALLY hard to manage everything in Thafknar as their file management system leaves a bit to be desired. Best to sort before importing into Thafknar, for sure.

The Thafknar Dev said he would let us delete individual files in a future update.

• @SNystrom said:

From Ownhammer website:
    https://www.ownhammer.com/faq/store/

Does OwnHammer typically offer holiday sales?

Very, very, very, VERY rarely. Again, the Frequency Discount is our year-round sale on our already industry best price points. Any such occurence only takes place on very special occasions, under impromptu circumstances, and typically revolving around the introductino period of a major release, rather than a specific day or time of the year are items temporarily discounted. For these rare and unpredictable sales, there are no "rainchecks" past the defined period.

• Delete Individual files from zip files???

That would be totally amazing, but seems like a massive amount of work!

However, since Markus (@polaron_de) was here today within minutes to help me with a Thafknar issue, I wouldn't put it past him! 😊

• @SNystrom said:
    Delete Individual files from zip files???

That would be totally amazing, but seems like a massive amount of work!

However, since Markus (@polaron_de) was here today within minutes to help me with a Thafknar issue, I wouldn't put it past him! 😊

Not from zip files but from unpacked zip in Thafknar. You cannot do this currently.

• Well, if you look at the files folder for Thafknar, (at least in mine) the zip files remain zipped. Haven't tried placing non-zipped files in there, but I guess you might be able to do that...