Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Great Hunt for Virtual Guitar Tone - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

I've been working on this video for the past 2 months or so. I did a fair amount of research and I hope that you guys like this one!

Big shout out to @flo26 & @McD with whom long discussions about tone were held. There's a huge thread (or a number of them) about this, but I'm too lazy to find it just now.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Nice job, Mr. Poo!

Lots of great detailed explanations, comparisons, and lots of love for @flo26!!!!

Love the idea of using two or more mic positions for a single cabinet. I realized the that was an option on the desktop version of Nembrini apps, but for some reason, never considered doing the same on iOS. It massively improved the tone!

Congrats!

• @SNystrom said:
    Nice job, Mr. Poo!

Lots of great detailed explanations, comparisons, and lots of love for @flo26!!!!

Love the idea of using two or more mic positions for a single cabinet. I realized the that was an option on the desktop version of Nembrini apps, but for some reason, never considered doing the same on iOS. It massively improved the tone!

Congrats!

Thanks for the feedback, @SNystrom

It's definitely still an ongoing journey, but I feel like I'm improving, and if nothing else this was an illustration of the struggle I've been facing. Hopefully this gives some folks that are new to this process a place to begin.

• edited August 2020

Hey @Daveypoo ,
    Thanks a lot for so much love ☺️☺️!
    Much,much appreciated!
    I’ve watched the full video.It was very intersting.I like the way you explain things.Much humility and clarity.
    I think one of the most important things about creating great guitar tones,is to hear what you want in your head before using all these great apps.
    My ability at creating good(i hope)guitar tones comes from the fact i have listened thousands and thousands hours of music.
    I think my ears are educated to all these sounds😉😉.
    It’s like a second nature to me.
    Having owned a lot of great guitar amps (soldano,rivera,engl,roland jazz chorus,koch,carvin,etc...) also helps a lot.
    All these guitar sounds are part of my DNA😉.
    Thanks again for all the friendship!
    I wish you the best.
    Flo

• Thanks for the feedback, @flo26

I have a much better ear for bass tones since I've spent most of my career as a for-hire bassist. I feel like quality bass tone is much easier to achieve since 90% of the time I record the bass direct. A video this in-depth for bass seems silly for me to do since it would be all of 5 minutes.

While I've been around guitars and guitarists my whole life, once I heard the classic Fender tube tone, I was hooked and never looked back. I agree - knowing what your end-goal is will only improve your chances of getting there. If you dive in and start searching, you'll be searching all day.

I'm so glad you liked the video, @flo26

• Is it possible to get a realistic feedback in a virtual guitar amp? Geoshred has nailed it as part of a synth voice, but I want it in a guitar fx chain.

• Amplitube has a pedal in their collection. I've only used it a little bit, but perhaps @flo26 or others have more experience with it.

I purchased it just before the Nembrini/Overloud/GE Labs onslaught, and therefore have been otherwise distracted and haven't given it a proper run through... 😉

I do rather like their Orange amp collection, though.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Is it possible to get a realistic feedback in a virtual guitar amp? Geoshred has nailed it as part of a synth voice, but I want it in a guitar fx chain.

Turn your monitors loud as you would do with a real amp if you can😉.

• Very informative video, I'll have to buy some front and back IRs soon.

• @SNystrom said:
    Nice job, Mr. Poo!

Congrats!

I agree, great info about the two mic positions!

@Daveypoo I think you and I have very similar tastes! I’m also using Nembrini with a Gibson and Thafknar, and I use the exact same headphones specifically for guitar sims. I went through 4-5 pairs of nice headphones with 32-38 Ohm impedance that constantly crapped out, rumbled, and overloaded while I played, but those 63 Ohm Sonys were a complete game changer. I know they’re popular, but it’s important to know that they’re great at handling guitar sims and hot pickups and are comfortable to wear for hours of shredding. I wasn’t happy with my iOS guitar tones until I got them. Now through all of you guys I’m discovering the importance of IR loaders, and with Nembrini and Overloud I’m a really happy camper. Glad to have confirmation from everyone that I’m on the right path. Thanks!

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    @Daveypoo I think you and I have very similar tastes! I’m also using Nembrini with a Gibson and Thafknar, and I use the exact same headphones specifically for guitar sims. I went through 4-5 pairs of nice headphones with 32-38 Ohm impedance that constantly crapped out, rumbled, and overloaded while I played, but those 63 Ohm Sonys were a complete game changer. I know they’re popular, but it’s important to know that they’re great at handling guitar sims and hot pickups and are comfortable to wear for hours of shredding. I wasn’t happy with my iOS guitar tones until I got them. Now through all of you guys I’m discovering the importance of IR loaders, and with Nembrini and Overloud I’m a really happy camper. Glad to have confirmation from everyone that I’m on the right path. Thanks!

You're very welcome!

I use the Sony MDR-7506 headphones mainly out of habit, not necessarily because they sound amazing. When I was 16 or so, I wanted a really expensive/good set of phones, and those are what I ended up with. I've since noticed them in every studio I've ever been in, and have replaced mine time and time again to the point that I am really FAMILIAR with how they sound.

I have a set of Status Audio CB-1 phones that I like a lot as well, but others on the forum here have not liked them as much as I. I prefer the tone of the CB-1 set, but they are MUCH larger and look too goofy for filming ;)

Is it possible to get a realistic feedback in a virtual guitar amp? Geoshred has nailed it as part of a synth voice, but I want it in a guitar fx chain.

If you also do desktop, Acoustic Feedback, by Soft Tube could be an option:

Music Radar runs through it here, but not impressive to my ears:

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/how-to-simulate-screaming-guitar-amp-feedback

• A lot of information and tricks on this video, thanks a lot for this. I never really realized that a convolution reverb can be used as a cabinet. I will test this with my brand new Nembrini Cali Reverb !

• @Daveypoo said:

>

You're very welcome!

I use the Sony MDR-7506 headphones mainly out of habit, not necessarily because they sound amazing. When I was 16 or so, I wanted a really expensive/good set of phones, and those are what I ended up with. I've since noticed them in every studio I've ever been in, and have replaced mine time and time again to the point that I am really FAMILIAR with how they sound.

I have a set of Status Audio CB-1 phones that I like a lot as well, but others on the forum here have not liked them as much as I. I prefer the tone of the CB-1 set, but they are MUCH larger and look too goofy for filming ;)

7506 are just fantastic for guitar even at high volume, and as you say they are total lifer headphones. I also use the Grado SR80e specifically for post mix and critical listening, they have an incredible open back soundstage, but they get easily overloaded when playing guitar even at medium volume.

• @SNystrom said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

If you also do desktop, Acoustic Feedback, by Soft Tube could be an option:
    Music Radar runs through it here, but not impressive to my ears:

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/how-to-simulate-screaming-guitar-amp-feedback

That sounds good, but not as good as the Geoshred model.

• In regards to feedback - honestly, I don't know how you would simulate this effectively, but I do know that just CRANKING the level of my monitors achieves the same effect (mentioned earlier in this thread by the esteemed @flo26 )

• Another feedback option is the FreqOut pedal, by Digitec:

https://www.digitech.com/other/FreqOut.html

It ain't cheap (iOS-wise) at around $160.00 street, but it's pretty awesome:

• @flo26 do you happen to be Flo Audio on Bandcamp?

• Great video, Dave. Excellent overview of the tools @flo uses on iOS to get his sounds. I picked his brain over months to learn what you disclosed in this concise video and I still learned new details like the rear cabinet in a 2nd IR app. I hope someone spends 30 minutes showing the
    Uses for PSA1000 in these iOS rigs. It’s amazing for fast tweaking across dozens of amp/fix combos. Especially when faced with decision paralysis it’s a playground of tone potential. And PSA1000 jr is 1/2 off but can run. 2 copies for stereo uses. I got the bundle on sale so I can run so many channels it’s truly insane which matches my mental state right now.

• @McD said: PSA1000 jr is 1/2 off but can run. 2 copies for stereo uses.

How would one go about doing that, Professor???

Picked up jr. for free and will be waiting for Black Friday to pick up the full PSA...

IN AUM, you'd have your two instances, but then how would you assign left/right channels? Do they still work before the amp (like most pre-amp are done,) or would you place them post-amp?

• edited August 2020

@McD said:
    Great video, Dave. Excellent overview of the tools @flo uses on iOS to get his sounds. I picked his brain over months to learn what you disclosed in this concise video and I still learned new details like the rear cabinet in a 2nd IR app.

Thanks! I spent a LOT of time both digging through the internet for info on this, but also messing with combinations of the various apps and cabs. I had to stop searching after a while so I could make the video as I was getting lost in the abyss.

I hope someone spends 30 minutes showing the uses for PSA1000 in these iOS rigs. It’s amazing for fast tweaking across dozens of amp/fix combos. Especially when faced with decision paralysis it’s a playground of tone potential. And PSA1000 jr is 1/2 off but can run. 2 copies for stereo uses. I got the bundle on sale so I can run so many channels it’s truly insane which matches my mental state right now.

I have been using PSA1000 for things other than guitar, and it has been working wonderfully on drums, bass, and electric piano. I didn't want to diverge from my Fender/Marshall path in the video as it would've added too much time. I actually had a whole section in here about the Joyo pedals, but it added another nearly 20 minutes so I decided to chop it and if folks liked this one, I can always do a separate one for those.

I'm glad you liked this one, @McD - I had you in mind while filming this. The goal was definitely to summarize the lengthy discussions had on this forum and put all that info into a single, iOS-specific place. I had a bulleted print-out in front of me to make sure I hit on all the points I wanted to.... still ended up with a 40 minute video!

• edited August 2020

@flo26 said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

Turn your monitors loud as you would do with a real amp if you can😉.

As @flo26 says you can get feedback by turning the monitors up and standing with your guitar in the danger zone. But if you don’t want the cops to come, you can also use headphones. If your audio interface has two headphone outs or if you have a headphone splitter cable, you can monitor with one set and then use a crappy pair of open backs and put them as close as possible to your pickups. They will induce feedback just like an amp, but getting it to sound as realistic as possible requires trial and error positioning.

Also the FreqOut pedal is incredible and does a whole lot more than just feedback, but really expensive...

• McDMcD
    edited August 2020

@SNystrom said:
    @McD said: PSA1000 jr is 1/2 off but can run. 2 copies for stereo uses.

How would one go about doing that, Professor???

Picked up jr. for free and will be waiting for Black Friday to pick up the full PSA...

IN AUM, you'd have your two instances, but then how would you assign left/right channels? Do they still work before the amp (like most pre-amp are done,) or would you place them post-amp?

This should work in AUM.

The stereo signal comes in one channel 1 and a clone is sent to Mix-Bus A.
    The stereo on channel 1 is shift to Pure "Left" while the clone on Channel 2 is shifted to Pure "Right". Then Channel 1 gets a PSA 1000 Jr and Channel 2 gets another instance.

Both Channels 1 and 2 are mixed by AUM to the standard audio output target and AUM supports Channel one to Speaker R and Channel 2 to L
    as well but PSA 1000 Jr is probably converting the output to R+L anyway
    so mixing the 2 FX streams is fine (for me) but you could use the stereo balance trick after the PSA 1000 Jr's as well to maintain stereo control to the outputs.

Of course with an Audio Interface the task is even easier as the 2 channels could be configured for R and L to begin with.

• McDMcD
    edited August 2020

@Daveypoo said:

@McD said:
    Great video, Dave.

Thanks! I spent a LOT of time both digging through the internet for info on this, but also messing with combinations of the various apps and cabs. I had to stop searching after a while so I could make the video as I was getting lost in the abyss.

I think this "long form" type of video is a great contribution to the internet. I'm sure many guitar players will discover you and realize their iPhone might me just to tool they need to
    travel light and still get a good sound. To convert the output to a suitable PA connection. I bought a Zoom U-44 and I get RCA line outs, 1/4" Main outs and optical/Copper SPDIF's so I'm covered. I tested the optical SP/DIFS from my TV and that opens some new options for importing TV audio content in the digital domain.

• Thanks, @McD!

I’ve only tried rudimentary paths on AUM, so this is a learning experience!

I’m guessing “A” above is a Bus Send (not Hardware) correct???

Also, should I place amps beneath both PSA units, or just after the second one? I’m guessing just the second...

Also guessing I really need to search for some advanced AUM usage videos! 🤓

Also, I totally agree with your point about long videos being perfectly okay. Videos should be just as long as they need to be to get the point across — and this one was excellent!

Sorry for getting off-topic at least twice on your thread, @Daveypoo...

• @SNystrom said:
    Thanks, @McD!

I’ve only tried rudimentary paths on AUM, so this is a learning experience!

I’m guessing “A” above is a Bus Send (not Hardware) correct???

Also, should I place amps beneath both PSA units, or just after the second one? I’m guessing just the second...

Also guessing I really need to search for some advanced AUM usage videos! 🤓

Also, I totally agree with your point about long videos being perfectly okay. Videos should be just as long as they need to be to get the point across — and this one was excellent!

Sorry for getting off-topic at least twice on your thread, @Daveypoo...

It really makes the case for just buying the stereo version, right? But $10 (mono) vs $20 (stereo) matters or both in a bundle for $26. I haven't found a reason to need both except for this AUM set-up screen capture.

Just remember most guitars are treated like a single mic in the recording process. Doing everything in stereo all the time is a real treat. Amps are mono. Most pedals all too. So
    adding setter in the finals stages is OK to create a stereo image with a Haas effect or a swirling chorus.

When you find out, please let me know.
    I still use the Lewis Allen Reed “use your body like a matador between the guitar and amp(s) technique” Not that I don’t enjoy that...

• @JeffChasteen said:
    When you find out, please let me know.
    I still use the Lewis Allen Reed “use your body like a matador between the guitar and amp(s) technique” Not that I don’t enjoy that...

Ole!

• Got a chance to listen and watch and this was a great video.

• edited August 2020

Awesome video @Daveypoo! Thanks for all the back an forth comparisons of the different ir cabs and the built in ones, this was very helpful. I'm looking at the ownhammer ir's now and I too am overwhelmed with all the options. Which bundle did you end up buying? I'm thinking maybe the evolution bundle but I don't know.