Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tip to help get rid of clicks in Gadget's Bilbao

edited September 2014 in App Tips and Tricks

Pretty simple really, assign the same sample to a different pad.

Problem was if you have any fast repeating notes there was a good chance of glitching the sample playback into giving you some nasty clicking noises. This definitely helps that, by using the alternate pad when two notes repeat close together, especially at higher tempos. Seems to help even more to group the samples, but obviously there are limitations with that.

In the end if you double up on all your samples you get an 8 pad drum machine a la the London gadget.

A real pain that there has to be a work around like this, but it seems to work as a way to salvage Korg's sloppiness.

Comments

• Cool, will give this a shot if I run into clicking issues

• edited September 2014

I don't have any more or less issues with clicking sounds then in any other slicer I've tried. So I don't see or hear any sloppiness in that area. Adjust the attack and decay parameters on the slices with clicks, or change the slicer position slightly (just like you would any other slicer). If that doesn't help, the sample is just not something that you'd typically feed a slicer with. Or the sample isn't properly edited before slapping it into Bilbao.

Edit: Sorry, thought you were talking about the slicer. Those new names are confusing. ;) But, basically the same could be applied to Bilbao with the attack and decays if the imported sample is badly edited. Slightly more headroom to adjust the attack/less fiddly wouldn't hurt though, but it is working as intended either way,

• @ChrisG said:

I don't have any more or less issues with clicking sounds then in any other slicer I've tried...

Abu Dhabi is the slicer. Bilbao is the drum machine and doesn't give you any attack parameter, and as such is prone to clicks, even with the defaullt samples and well prepared samples.

After a bit more testing it definitely helps to put the two samples in the same group. Seems to even almost eliminate any clicking all together. The one downside is you may end up with having to group samples together that you might not want grouped together.

Korg could, and really should, fix this relatively easily. A micro fader, or even an attack to go along with the decay, would do the trick.

• edited September 2014

You're right, the start parameter don't actually have a linear attack, just a straight cut (but that should help as well). Well I'm not having any clicking issues at all with the factory content or imported stuff. Make sure you're not using a sucky editor to audition the samples before slapping them into Bilbao, many tends to not play back the first few milliseconds when editing and auditioning short audio, whereas Bilbao will.

• edited September 2014

@ChrisG
    I've been running into problems mainly because I'm doing uptempo stuff, so notes tend to get on top of each other pretty quick.

Even without all that though they still handcuff you in Bilbao. I mean, why let let people move the start time without giving them any sort of way to fade in? Doesn't make sense, and is pretty half assed if you ask me, especially at the price they are asking. Is it impossible to work with Bilbao? Absolutely not, but it's still poor design in my book.

If you're listening Korg, a simple fade in knob with the right level of sensitivity would go a long ways.

• Is it always the same samples having this problem, you're not the only one reporting the clicking with the factory Bilbao samples, I wonder if it's the same samples for everyone experiencing this?

• edited September 2014

@1P18 said:

@ChrisG
    I've been running into problems mainly because I'm doing uptempo stuff, so notes tend to get on top of each other pretty quick.

Even without all that though they still handcuff you in Bilbao. I mean, why let let people move the start time without giving them any sort of way to fade in? Doesn't make sense, and is pretty half assed if you ask me, especially at the price they are asking. Is it impossible to work with Bilbao? Absolutely not, but it's still poor design in my book.

If you're listening Korg, a simple fade in knob would go a long ways.

Ah ok. I've only been doing slow weird crap so far. But if Bilbao indeed introduces artificial clicks on faster stuff, I'd say the underlying engine needs some tweaking. London certainly don't introduces clicks from anything I've heard. Korg seems to have their ears open on the social networks (Twitter etc) btw.

• edited September 2014

@kobamoto said:

Is it always the same samples having this problem...

I even tried importing some samples, and made sure they had a good clean fade in, and still ran into some problems. Add on the cumbersome sample management and needless to say the whole experience was a bit of a bummer. Fortunately I think the samples in Bilbao are pretty good and with this work around they are it's saving grace.

• Do Abu Dhabi and Bilbao share samples or come with a different sample pack each?

• I suspect it might be a loading/memory issue that is causing some of the clicks.

I'm using a repeating sequence of 4 samples in one part of a track (using the arp in Abu). When I first play that scene the very first sample clicks but then the rest of the sequence (same sample) is fine. I have tried to rectify by fading in the master volume and this helps a bit. But you still hear a click.

I think Gadget is doing some memory management and the first time a sample is played you hear it loading in. This may be more or less obvious depending on what other apps you have open etc. It may also not be a problem when you actually render the track (worth trying?).

Another work around might be to play the sample muted to get it into memory just before you actually want to use it.

This is just a guess/ gut feeling by the way... Based on playing around so far. Certainly I've found the more other stuff you have going on on the ipad the more likely it is to click (ie syncing tempo with another app made it click terribly for me ).

They could also do with microfades too (like Sector has).