Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

miRack by mifki Limited - Live!!!

Comments

• @mifki Uhm sorry i was blind or something, you're absolutely true, it is also in MIDIfx .. my fault, sorry

• edited August 2020

@mifki said:

@Nuria said:
    dTroy is a hardware emulation so some people will probably like it over Bordl.

No problem, I won't hide it.

Yes, it’s an emulation of the cult sequencer metropolis from intellijel, it’s kinda cool to have access to both the old one and the modern one. Thank you.
    Br Hans

• The JW-Modules sequencers don't seem to trigger MIDI notes for me @mifki

Most likely that I am wiring them up the wrong way. Anyone got an example?

• @dendy said:
    miRack can process also audio, so it is listed in AUDIO FX tab... But MIDI IN/OUT modules are working as expected.

I recently watched and followed a miRack tutorial which stated that miRack audio out is IAA only. Happy to see and hear it working as AU effect.

• the midi out works in the audio effects slot as well

• My noob questions of the day:

1. How do I prevent a module from moving when I try tweak a knob/fader on it?
    2. Is there any particular VCO that sounds close enough to a Dreadbox VCO? Doesn't have to be 100% accurate - just close enough.

What got me back onto the miRack train is the idea of putting together a modular based around MI Rings and the Dreadbox VCO sound.

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@GovernorSilver said:
    My noob questions of the day:

I like to turn on "Lock Modules" in settings. Then you actually have to tap the move icon at the top to move a module. It can be confusing when you forget to un-tap, but it works best for me this way.

Other than that, being accurate with your finger, and not pausing too long with your finger down. To move a module you have to tap outside and hold for a brief time until you see the module "pop" out of the rack.

My guess is you either have the "move" icon engaged, or you're tapping slightly off of the control and holding your finger a little too long before moving.

• @Jocphone said:
    The JW-Modules sequencers don't seem to trigger MIDI notes for me @mifki

Double tap on the module to open the context menu and select Retrigger, then it will work fine. I think the normal trigger coming out is too narrow and thats probably why it does not get registered as a trigger in the Midi Out module.

• @wim said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    My noob questions of the day:

I like to turn on "Lock Modules" in settings. Then you actually have to tap the move icon at the top to move a module. It can be confusing when you forget to un-tap, but it works best for me this way.

Yes, that did it! I kept trying to prevent accidental movement by turning the Move icon off and on. The global setting is much better!

Thanks!

• @Aletheia said:
    As an avid VCV user, this is the update I've been most waiting for! Can't wait to finally get it ^_^

x2

• @stellare_modular said:

@Jocphone said:

Double tap on the module to open the context menu and select Retrigger, then it will work fine. I think the normal trigger coming out is too narrow and thats probably why it does not get registered as a trigger in the Midi Out module.

Thanks @stellare_modular that works for the grid sequencer but isn’t available on the bouncy balls or note sequencer. I managed to get the pulses working by adding the Trigger Delay module. Setting the delay to none but tweaking the length dial got the MIDI notes to output ok.

• @Jocphone said:

@stellare_modular said:

@Jocphone said:

Thanks @stellare_modular that works for the grid sequencer but isn’t available on the bouncy balls or note sequencer. I managed to get the pulses working by adding the Trigger Delay module. Setting the delay to none but tweaking the length dial got the MIDI notes to output ok.

Yeah, the problem is that some sequencer send or can be configured to send longer gates, and some send very short triggers, and there's no way to easily tell which one will send what. I'll add all this info to MIDI out module docs, and probably to sequencer modules docs, too.

• @mifki said:

@Jocphone said:

@stellare_modular said:

@Jocphone said:

Yeah, the problem is that some sequencer send or can be configured to send longer gates, and some send very short triggers, and there's no way to easily tell which one will send what. I'll add all this info to MIDI out module docs, and probably to sequencer modules docs, too.

While that's helpful it could do with some way of fixing it. My initial problem was that I couldn't work out whether the short gate time was the issue. I tried hooking the gate signal to a scope module but didn't get much feedback from that. Also, if you are working in MIDI mode there is no way to hear the duration of the gate signal either. I guess the simplest feedback would come from having a bright indicator on the MIDI out module that was lit while the signal is high.

Do you think using the Trigger Delay was the best way to handle this?

The JW-modules note sequencer is a bit confusing because it does have indicator lights for each gate out and they appear lit for the duration of the note on the grid but I still had to add the Trigger Delay in order to get a MIDI driven synth to sound the notes.

• @Jocphone said:
    While that's helpful it could do with some way of fixing it. My initial problem was that I couldn't work out whether the short gate time was the issue. I tried hooking the gate signal to a scope module but didn't get much feedback from that. Also, if you are working in MIDI mode there is no way to hear the duration of the gate signal either. I guess the simplest feedback would come from having a bright indicator on the MIDI out module that was lit while the signal is high.

The JW-modules note sequencer is a bit confusing because it does have indicator lights for each gate out and they appear lit for the duration of the note on the grid but I still had to add the Trigger Delay in order to get a MIDI driven synth to sound the notes.

I'm currently not sure what is the best way to fix this. There are several separate issues.

First, the sequencers are confusing - even those having gate/pitch output (meaning they're not special drum/trigger sequencers) often emit only short triggers. Some have option to change this, some not.

Second, I tried connecting such a sequencer to Drambo and to some other synths, and they miss some of the triggers. Drambo flashes a light for each trigger correctly but drum and sampler modules somehow miss some of them.

Third, there IS a filter in MIDI out module (not in MIDI trigger out module) meant to prevent MIDI flood, so short triggers may be missed when connected to Gate input. I will fix this, but because of the previous point, it may still not work as expected when connected to other software and hardware.

Overall, looks like using Trigger Delay is the most reliable way - you can connect both ends to anywhere and it will work, and you have control over gate length. I'll probably make a similar module with no delay part and with more inputs and outputs, and put it next to MIDI modules.

• @mifki said:

@Jocphone said:

I'm currently not sure what is the best way to fix this. There are several separate issues.

First, the sequencers are confusing - even those having gate/pitch output (meaning they're not special drum/trigger sequencers) often emit only short triggers. Some have option to change this, some not.

Second, I tried connecting such a sequencer to Drambo and to some other synths, and they miss some of the triggers. Drambo flashes a light for each trigger correctly but drum and sampler modules somehow miss some of them.

Third, there IS a filter in MIDI out module (not in MIDI trigger out module) meant to prevent MIDI flood, so short triggers may be missed when connected to Gate input. I will fix this, but because of the previous point, it may still not work as expected when connected to other software and hardware.

Overall, looks like using Trigger Delay is the most reliable way - you can connect both ends to anywhere and it will work, and you have control over gate length. I'll probably make a similar module with no delay part and with more inputs and outputs, and put it next to MIDI modules.

Would it make sense, when the MIDI Out module is monophonic, to have a knob on this module itself for minimum gate length? That way it wouldn't cut off longer gate signals but would soak up any very short triggers under the users control. The user would also benefit from not having to go and find the module and it could be a hint for when users run into this issue, the gate on indicator being a useful clue as well.

• @Jocphone said:

@mifki said:

@Jocphone said:

Would it make sense, when the MIDI Out module is monophonic, to have a knob on this module itself for minimum gate length? That way it wouldn't cut off longer gate signals but would soak up any very short triggers under the users control. The user would also benefit from not having to go and find the module and it could be a hint for when users run into this issue, the gate on indicator being a useful clue as well.

Ideally the sequencers use the pulse width of the incoming clock signal so nothing has to be done! With clocked you can set the pulse width of the out going clock signal, so I think in this case one should just ask Jeremy of JW Modules if he could implement it like this. Thats how our sequencers(Stellare Creative Suite) work also.

• BTW there is something weird though, if you have a sequence running on the Note-Seq to Drambo for example it does not work because of the trigger issue but if you leave it running for 5 minutes all of a sudden it works...kinda weird.

@Jocphone said:

@mifki said:

@Jocphone said:

Ideally the sequencers use the pulse width of the incoming clock signal so nothing has to be done! With clocked you can set the pulse width of the out going clock signal, so I think in this case one should just ask Jeremy of JW Modules if he could implement it like this. Thats how our sequencers(Stellare Creative Suite) work also.

Had a quick look for JW Modules.

Is this the same issue? https://github.com/jeremywen/JW-Modules/issues/21

I'm not sure if I want to contact module developers directly as I don't remember which ones were a little antagonistic when miRack appeared on the scene.

@stellare_modular I have opened up your Music Thing sequencer a few times but have yet to make any sense of it. It seems to have three outputs, one labelled noise, the other two just called 'output' do these correspond to Gate and Volt/Oct in any meaningful way?

• Wow that was quick @mifki pushing a new beta build!

I still had to put the trigger delay on the Bouncy Balls sequencer but I'm guessing that your update lessens the chance of notes getting ignored?

@Jocphone said:

@mifki said:

@Jocphone said:

will there be more of your modules coming to mirack?

• @Jocphone said:

@stellare_modular said:

@Jocphone said:

@mifki said:

@Jocphone said:

Had a quick look for JW Modules.

Is this the same issue? https://github.com/jeremywen/JW-Modules/issues/21

I'm not sure if I want to contact module developers directly as I don't remember which ones were a little antagonistic when miRack appeared on the scene.

@stellare_modular I have opened up your Music Thing sequencer a few times but have yet to make any sense of it. It seems to have three outputs, one labelled noise, the other two just called 'output' do these correspond to Gate and Volt/Oct in any meaningful way?

You can refer to the manual of the original hardware module for help:
    https://www.tips.modularparts.net/music-thing-modular-turing-machine-quick-start-manual/

There are also many videos on youtube.

• @reasOne said:

@stellare_modular said:

@Jocphone said:

@mifki said:

@Jocphone said:

When its possible to release commercial modules for miRack we will release our commercial suite also yes.

@reasOne said:

@stellare_modular said:

@Jocphone said:

@mifki said:

@Jocphone said:

When its possible to release commercial modules for miRack we will release our commercial suite also yes.

awesome! if and when they do i’ll be looking forward to them

• This is a dream of glowing eyeballs in a sea of other distractions.

• @Jocphone said:
    Wow that was quick @mifki pushing a new beta build!

I still had to put the trigger delay on the Bouncy Balls sequencer but I'm guessing that your update lessens the chance of notes getting ignored?

What are you connecting miRack to? Also, is there any difference if you use MIDI Trigger Output module instead?

• @mifki said:

@Jocphone said:
    Wow that was quick @mifki pushing a new beta build!

What are you connecting miRack to? Also, is there any difference if you use MIDI Trigger Output module instead?

Think I was using KQ Dixie that time.

• @mifki said:

There are a few other modules that can do this: Submarine PG-112 Pulse Generator and Nysthi Elsker both offer twelve inputs and outputs.

Elsker has more options, with the delay part included as well as a global trigger input that can be used to generate 12 different gates of varying lengths.

PG-112 Only has the gate length and no global input, but uses much less HP.

There's also Bogaudio DGATE which is the smallest of all, but only has one input and output.

• Oh right, PG-112 is just what's needed, thanks.

• Multichannel audio (in standalone mode) is available in the latest beta, along with ES encoder modules.

Let me know if anyone has hardware and wants to test it but doesn't have beta yet.

• @mifki said:
    Multichannel audio (in standalone mode) is available in the latest beta, along with ES encoder modules.

Let me know if anyone has hardware and wants to test it but doesn't have beta yet.

for some reason i can’t add the audio out 8 or audio in 16 to my patch