Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• I just dont make much music so I just expect everything to work, when I do.

• Do IAP banks contain new samples?

• @Turok said:
    Do IAP banks contain new samples?

No, they contain patterns and sound patches, no samples.

• @jimpavloff said:

@Turok said:

by patches do you mean presets? The drums for example in the IAP bank are basically stock PCM samples with adjusted pitch, envelopes, etc. did I understand correctly?

• @Turok said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Turok said:

by patches do you mean presets? The drums for example in the IAP bank are basically stock PCM samples with adjusted pitch, envelopes, etc. did I understand correctly?

Yes, correct.

• @jimpavloff said:

@Turok said:

@jimpavloff said:

@Turok said:

Yes, correct.

Thanks, this is interesting.

• @jimpavloff thank you so much for committing to relative midi for GR-16; I hope my beat step pro can finally get some use as a controller...I firmly believe all iOS audio apps and hosts should support it, and this will go a ways towards normalizing it on a major iOS app! Thank you, Jim. Any thoughts on the same for Pure Acid?

• @dreamsaremaps said:
    @jimpavloff thank you so much for committing to relative midi for GR-16; I hope my beat step pro can finally get some use as a controller...I firmly believe all iOS audio apps and hosts should support it, and this will go a ways towards normalizing it on a major iOS app! Thank you, Jim. Any thoughts on the same for Pure Acid?

If I manage relative midi knobs mode to work correctly, I will implement it for Pure Acid also.

• Hi Jim. Thanks a lot for the ability to fully assign controls to external controllers in a recent update but there is a problem. I can't assign parameter to shift key. When saving with the "write" button, the "shift + write" menu appears instead, and as a result, midi learn is canceled. Tried different parameters for the button on the controller, shift fails to assign. Sometimes shift + write starts to work when I save other parameters and only restarting the application helps.

• @Dobre_Trava said:
    Hi Jim. Thanks a lot for the ability to fully assign controls to external controllers in a recent update but there is a problem. I can't assign parameter to shift key. When saving with the "write" button, the "shift + write" menu appears instead, and as a result, midi learn is canceled. Tried different parameters for the button on the controller, shift fails to assign. Sometimes shift + write starts to work when I save other parameters and only restarting the application helps.

Did you update it to 1.7.8 ?

• An update with continuous controller support is out already! I can't test because I don't have such a controller, but ... wow. @jimpavloff is amazing!

• @wim said:
    An update with continuous controller support is out already! I can't test because I don't have such a controller, but ... wow. @jimpavloff is amazing!

Is anyone here with a controller can test? I don't have a relative midi controller too, so I was emulating one while implementing support for it. So there can be still some bugs...

• edited August 2020

@jimpavloff I do, is this the public release or a beta?

Edit: nevermind, I saw the update now, I’ll give it go later

• edited August 2020

@jimpavloff said:

@wim said:
    An update with continuous controller support is out already! I can't test because I don't have such a controller, but ... wow. @jimpavloff is amazing!

Is anyone here with a controller can test? I don't have a relative midi controller too, so I was emulating one while implementing support for it. So there can be still some bugs...

Thanks a lot! I will test them and get back to you 👍🏼

• edited August 2020

EDIT: OK, I got it to work. See my next post....

-----Original message follows----------

@jimpavloff Thank you very much for your recent updates to enhance MIDI Learn (controlling the value knob, and other buttons in GR)! I was just about to request such features, and all of sudden you added them.

I found some trouble with using relative encoder mode on my Beatstep, however. The Beatstep has 17 encoders, no pots.

I mapped the Beatstep's big encoder knob as the data value knob in GR. It works great.

The thing that isn't working is, I'd like to use the Beatstep's other 16 knobs to work in relative mode to control the knobs in GR. But no matter what relative encoder mode I put the Beatstep knobs in, I can't get GR to understand how to use a relative encoder to move a knob. It works fine when I tell the Beatstep to act like a pot, but that is because the Beatstep outputs absolute numbers between 0 and 127. GR doesn't know it is an encoder. But that loses the benefit of having an encoder - that it can turn a 0-127 position knob relatively.

The Beatstep has 3 relative modes, Relative #1, #2, and #3 when using a knob as a continuous encoder. I used Relative #1 for the big knob and it worked fine in GR. But all 3 Relative modes on the Beatstep failed to work in GR for controlling the other knobs. This happened regardless of the Relative MIDI mode in GR. Depending on the mode chosen in the Arturia Software, the knob in GR would either move a little but kept jumping back to the original position, or go to the max or min value.

I can do more testing, or provide better info later using MIDISpy. But wanted to report this behavior to see what you want to know.

• OK, I got it to work. I needed to make sure I get "[ofs]" when I do a MIDI Learn with a relative (encoder) knob. It will seem like GR16 learned the knob, but now I see if I don't get "[ofs]" in the display showing what MIDI value it learned, it means GR16 didn't auto detect it as a relative knob.

I also had to watch how I turned the knob during learning. Too fast or too slow and it didn't work. Once I realized all this, I was able to get it configured very quickly. Thanks to @rs2000 for setting me straight on this.

• @MLohmeyer You're welcome.
    I'm in touch with @jimpavloff about this, we know it's not a perfect solution (yet).
    But I'm really happy that he took care of it at all.
    Not many iOS apps support hardware controllers with incremental encoders, the only other ones I remember are Arturia Spark and Drambo.

• Hi @jimpavloff !

Any chance to get an Auv3 sequencer only of the GR16?

The probability features are so cool to have on iOS.
    Would be much nicer if it wasn’t involved that menu diving.

• And internal sampling

• i finally picked this app up on friday. what a great thing to make music with! i love grooveboxs and being able to arrange many sounds in one environment and gr16 really provides a perfect solution to doing this...
    i’ve been working on a song using gr16 beside korg gadget 2 in AUM and it feels like there are no limits to what can be done, and best of all they both can be arranged to play thru your patterns automatically , just build the parts, press play and you have two instruments containing many instruments in perfect sync with each other. but then being able to add more aus via aum to fill in the gaps ! unbelievable power in a small portable device. this will become the centerpiece to many future jams

• @reasOne Great to see you here! I wish you lots of fun writing new music on it.
    I've done most music inside GR without any other apps except AudioShare and TwistedWave for sampling and IAA+AUv3 processing.
    Are you planning to use it together with hardware?

• edited October 2020

@reasOne Please share when you’ve got something put together. I’m really interested in seeing/hearing this workflow in action.

• You guys made me revisit GR and I forgot about this gem :)

Made a beat

• edited October 2020

Still love this app. Simply nothing else this fast on any platform or hardware, bar maybe Ableton Live can I use this and AudioShare to make the beginnings of a track. Multichannel AUv3 and stereo sample support and I genuinely think it could be perfect.

• I honestly just want sampling and Files support.

• @rs2000 said:
    @reasOne Great to see you here! I wish you lots of fun writing new music on it.
    I've done most music inside GR without any other apps except AudioShare and TwistedWave for sampling and IAA+AUv3 processing.
    Are you planning to use it together with hardware?

great to be here! it def seems like you can make a lot of tracks just within gr16 and i’m sure i will...i do love to just bring everything i have into the mix as well tho i can’t help myself haha
    i am planning on using it with circuit at least and might even try other hardware with it soon

@xraydash said:
    @reasOne Please share when you’ve got something put together. I’m really interested in seeing/hearing this workflow in action.

i’m uploading a little jam right now to youtube... is my first attempt with gr16! coming in a minute..

• first jam using gr16 with gadget 2
    i think i’ll finish this one..

• edited October 2020

@reasOne said:
    first jam using gr16 with gadget 2
    i think i’ll finish this one..

Lovely. I'm a fan of both apps but never thought about using both at once.

Great to see more music here!
    This is my little Dub pattern. No external samples except the vocal sample 😇

• @alecsbuga Funky!

@reasOne Nice meditative sonic journey you’ve got going. I don’t have Gadget, but I can imagine the possibilities of using these two together. Looking forward to future transmissions.

@rs2000 Those are all (mostly) factory sounds? I need to explore a little better. Just flipping through I was kind of underwhelmed, but that’s sounding good.

I picked GR-16 up about a year ago, but didn’t put much time into it until recently. I’ve mostly just used it as a drum machine. I absolutely love how you can use step conditions to trigger groups of notes/sounds.

• edited October 2020

@xraydash I'm not kidding. Don't hesitate to turn those knobs!
    In my video, I'm stepping through the instrument pads so you can see which samples I've used.