Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atmospheric Jazz inspired jam

Churning out the AUM jams this morning! This one started out as an ambient track with Mononoke and a little Retro Piano. Ended up adding a bass track (AudioKit’s Sub 808) and some drums courtesy of Drambo Multi-out. Finished with a nice reverberated (Eventide Blackhole) trumpet SoundFont.

Comments

• Hmm, sorry about the click/pop when I engaged the mix bus. I didn’t hear that first time around. Should’ve had all that set up before hand I reckon.

• Hey gang, I do realize that this is almost 5 minutes that you’re never going to get back, so if you skip ahead to about the 2 minute mark (where I finally have things going the way I want them), it’ll be less than 3 minutes of your time! :)

I’m looking for feedback. I was proud of this one, as I’m trying to step out of my comfort zone and try new things. That, and I’ve never considered myself a jazz player, but I ended up in this zone while composing this one, and felt this vibe where I thought “this really needs a Louis Armstrong, or Herb Alpert sounding trumpet part”.

Thoughts?

• I love it. I’ve kinda slunk into a similar space recently without even meaning to. Please do more!

• I’d put the piano forward more. The bass is in your face but the rest has too much distance unless there is a lead line above it, IMO. Yes, it’s a good foundation for an improvised horn line. Try iFretless Brass Euphonium. Sounds good.

• edited August 2020

@LinearLineman said:
    I’d put the piano forward more. The bass is in your face but the rest has too much distance unless there is a lead line above it, IMO. Yes, it’s a good foundation for an improvised horn line. Try iFretless Brass Euphonium. Sounds good.

Thank you!

Question; did you stick around for the horn line?

Yeah, the bass is rather loud in the mix, you’re right. Thanks again! This is the kind of feedback I need!

@qryss said:
    I love it. I’ve kinda slunk into a similar space recently without even meaning to. Please do more!

Thanks! Yes! I love those musical journeys where you just get lost... the GF will say to me at times “you’re being really distant today”... I’ll think to myself “you have no idea!”

• Horn line (albeit a simple one) begins at 3:12 ;)

• Yeah, I heard it. Just suggesting something to add on top.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Yeah, I heard it. Just suggesting something to add on top.

Gotcha. Thank you for listening and for the suggestions! Your constructive critique is very much appreciated.

I have to say, just over the last few months or so of making music on iOS/iPadOS, I’ve learned more about music, music theory, and music production than I ever have in my 35 plus years of playing guitar!

You people here on the forums are a huge part of that. So thank you for being a part of my musical journey in life!

• Dug this one up out of the cold dark corners of my AUM save folder yesterday. (Along with several others) Did a little remix and refresh on it, while only keeping the Mononoke part driven by Fugue Machine, and only one of the two piano parts.

Can you guys believe I posted something without a GeoSWAM part??

• Really digging this style... And a blessing to my ears after suffering to mix an industrial-like track :lol:
    You really blended the sounds pretty damn well :love:

• Atmospheric, Ed. Good piano sound. What, no Mixbox?😉

• @senhorlampada said:
    Really digging this style... And a blessing to my ears after suffering to mix an industrial-like track :lol:
    You really blended the sounds pretty damn well :love:

Thanks for the kind words and the listen!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Atmospheric, Ed. Good piano sound. What, no Mixbox?😉

Thanks Mike!

Nah, I’m still not convinced I need more effects.

• I think you nailed it. Piano level is perfect. Bass level gives it a modern sound.

• I love the screen capture "Live" work. To add the perfect horn part, I recommend you insure a note stops before another starts... that insures you don't break the illusion and to give it a jazz flavor play with very small pitch changes: play with intonation like Miles did. It makes it sing like a human voice to not be so
    hit a pitch and hold it. This applies to any solo instrument playing jazz with the exception of the fixed pitch
    devices... but they they use grace notes to slide into and out of fixed pitches too to sound more horn like.

I think your on a creative roll and should keep putting your soul up on the chopping block. You may find out your pretty damned talented and have a developing audience.

Or we could go back to reading/writing about bugs in something we got for 50% off that costs 6 times as much on the desktop. Don't you just love a good bug posting when they should be using the vendor's support services? I know... then you have to create an account, yada, yada, yada... and they try to sell you more shit... yada, yada, yada...

• @Intrepolicious said:
    Dug this one up out of the cold dark corners of my AUM save folder yesterday. (Along with several others) Did a little remix and refresh on it, while only keeping the Mononoke part driven by Fugue Machine, and only one of the two piano parts.

Oh... This is a new post on an old thread. I hate it when I think the old thread is todays topic of discussion.
    How much does a thread cost @Michael anyway? I think it's all you can eat with a Vanilla Forum. The database really doesn't care if we maximize the use of threads. It's the librarians that are offended. Can we just block all librarians and spend threads like we're Mad Hungarians.

• @McD said:

@Intrepolicious said:
    Dug this one up out of the cold dark corners of my AUM save folder yesterday. (Along with several others) Did a little remix and refresh on it, while only keeping the Mononoke part driven by Fugue Machine, and only one of the two piano parts.

Oh... This is a new post on an old thread. I hate it when I think the old thread is todays topic of discussion.
    How much does a thread cost @Michael anyway? I think it's all you can eat with a Vanilla Forum. The database really doesn't care if we maximize the use of threads. It's the librarians that are offended. Can we just block all librarians and spend threads like we're Mad Hungarians.

Thanks @McD

I must have missed the notifications on replies to the thread. Sorry about that! I normally like to reply right away to comments on my stuff. But Yeah, I figured it was a remix of the piece and I didn’t want to post it as something new.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    I think you nailed it. Piano level is perfect. Bass level gives it a modern sound.

Thank you so much! 🙏

@McD said:
    I love the screen capture "Live" work. To add the perfect horn part, I recommend you insure a note stops before another starts... that insures you don't break the illusion and to give it a jazz flavor play with very small pitch changes: play with intonation like Miles did. It makes it sing like a human voice to not be so
    hit a pitch and hold it. This applies to any solo instrument playing jazz with the exception of the fixed pitch
    devices... but they they use grace notes to slide into and out of fixed pitches too to sound more horn like.

I think your on a creative roll and should keep putting your soul up on the chopping block. You may find out your pretty damned talented and have a developing audience.

Or we could go back to reading/writing about bugs in something we got for 50% off that costs 6 times as much on the desktop. Don't you just love a good bug posting when they should be using the vendor's support services? I know... then you have to create an account, yada, yada, yada... and they try to sell you more shit... yada, yada, yada...

Thanks again. I hear you on the note stoppage and “humanized” pitch. You’re right, it’s definitely something we should be keeping in mind when trying to emulate a real world instrument performance.

• Quarterly feedback is a good practice to develop. B)