Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dealing with quantization in Drum Perfect Pro

Hello everyone,

New to the forum. In searching for information about DPP this forum kept coming up. Thanks for the great content!

I am a drummer who recently started using electronic drums. I purchased the Drum Perfect Pro app to see if I could get (essentially) an iPad VST for drum sounds.

I got the Yamaha DTX502 module to work with the app. So far the sounds and playing experience are great! No latency I notice, and the hi hats actually seem to work better. All other apps I have tried have enough latency that I have to monitor from the drum module.

My dilemma is how to get the performance out of the app.

When I record in the app it quantizes away my rolls and triplets. I did try setting the beat division to16, but no difference.

I tried using audiobus to record out to GarageBand, but DPP shutdown every time I hit the settings button. I do have Auria, but not the pro version.

Ultimately I may get a second camera connection kit and record DPP out from the iPad headphone jack into my iPhone. I think the sounds are that good!

I know the app is not intended to be a virtual drum module. As a drummer I would like to record my performances though, with the best quality sounds.

I am not opposed to programming drums, I have made drum tracks in GarageBand by tapping out individual parts at times. I just prefer to play and record the drums “live”.

I love doing all my music on the iPad. I could get a vst for my laptop. A lot of the drum sounds on them (at first glance anyway) sound pretty processed.

Thanks for reading this novel!

I don’t want to give up on DPP just yet. Any tips appreciated.

I did try session drummer too. Very easy to connect, but the sounds didn’t sound as good as DPP.

Thanks!

Tom

Comments

• @engravertom said:
    Hello everyone,

New to the forum. In searching for information about DPP this forum kept coming up. Thanks for the great content!

I am a drummer who recently started using electronic drums. I purchased the Drum Perfect Pro app to see if I could get (essentially) an iPad VST for drum sounds.

I got the Yamaha DTX502 module to work with the app. So far the sounds and playing experience are great! No latency I notice, and the hi hats actually seem to work better. All other apps I have tried have enough latency that I have to monitor from the drum module.

My dilemma is how to get the performance out of the app.

When I record in the app it quantizes away my rolls and triplets. I did try setting the beat division to16, but no difference.

I tried using audiobus to record out to GarageBand, but DPP shutdown every time I hit the settings button. I do have Auria, but not the pro version.

Ultimately I may get a second camera connection kit and record DPP out from the iPad headphone jack into my iPhone. I think the sounds are that good!

I know the app is not intended to be a virtual drum module. As a drummer I would like to record my performances though, with the best quality sounds.

I am not opposed to programming drums, I have made drum tracks in GarageBand by tapping out individual parts at times. I just prefer to play and record the drums “live”.

I love doing all my music on the iPad. I could get a vst for my laptop. A lot of the drum sounds on them (at first glance anyway) sound pretty processed.

Thanks for reading this novel!

I don’t want to give up on DPP just yet. Any tips appreciated.

I did try session drummer too. Very easy to connect, but the sounds didn’t sound as good as DPP.

Thanks!

Tom

Maybe record the MIDI into a MIDI sequencer like Xequence (with input quantization off). You can send your MIDI input stream to both DPP and Xequence or send it to Xequence and have Xequence “thru” the MIDI input to DPP.

• @engravertom Welcome to the forum! This place is amazing + special.. Enjoy!
    Do you know about BarbaXDrums? On sale right now for $1.. It was designed to be used with an E-kit.. I’ve messed with it a bit on my Roland TD-8 kit and there’s definitely some good sounds within it..

THEN, as @espiegel123 already mentioned, try recording the midi from your Yamaha kit in Xequence 2 or even Cubasis 2 or 3 (quantize OFF).. and try sending to BarbaXDrums and compare with the sounds from DPP.. you could even layer in some of your favourite Yamaha sounds..

• Thanks for the welcome and good suggestions! 🙂

• I did get Barbax drums. I will have to learn the app and see if I can get past the presets to the sounds themselves. Thanks for the tip! I am looking into xequence too.

• I was able to make a custom kit. Thanks for the tip! My pad settings seem not to be right for the app. I am getting double triggering that doesn’t happen in the module.

I was able to get DPP to record into GarageBand through IAA today. Not sure why it failed the other day. No latency and a nice recording. I can record one part of the kit at a time, but that will require several performances to get the whole kit in separate tracks. But at least I can hear the whole kit as I record that one part. It will force me to be disciplined in creating drum parts deliberately.

I tried getting DPP audio output into Auria via Audiobus. DPP shows up on the track, but no sound through the headphones and no audio when I record. But worth exploring. It would be great if I could record simultaneous tracks with the various parts of the kit on separate tracks in Auria.

Still a lot to learn. :)