Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nembrini Audio's Sound Master Custom Tube - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

Nembrini Audio meets Fender!

Comments

• I missed this one, @Daveypoo. It's pretty efficient with the knobs. The FAT button must
    be a knob multiplier.

• According to the Fender Tone Master owner's manual, the fat switch adds 3dB of gain to each of the channels:

• I definitely hear the gain boost, but I suspect that there's some slight change to the EQ curve also, either intentional or not. There's a bit of a tone shift when it's engaged...

• @Daveypoo said:
    I definitely hear the gain boost, but I suspect that there's some slight change to the EQ curve also, either intentional or not. There's a bit of a tone shift when it's engaged...

Sure. The manual indicates the gain is applied "mostly in the low and midrange frequencies."

• Ah - didn't see the description under letter B, just saw the description under letter H

• Yeah, I'm still trying to learn which exact frequency "EDGE" resides in. 😉

Waiting wistfully for a Twitter reply from "The Edge"... 🤗

• His replies are often ... delayed.

• Touché! 🙃

• edited August 2020

What is that sound, it sounds like throwing something plastic down on a table every time you change settings? Please stop doing that, Daveypoo.

:)

• In terms of the amp.. It wasn’t that great for me until around 7:41, when this cab comes in. Then we be rockin’ sweet. Also, the total lack of any kind of reverb or ambience wasn’t really allowing things to fully shine.

Thanks for another awesome Daveypoo video!

• edited August 2020

@Lady_App_titude said:
    In terms of the amp.. It wasn’t that great for me until around 7:41, when this cab comes in. Then we be rockin’ sweet. Also, the total lack of any kind of reverb or ambience wasn’t really allowing things to fully shine.

Thanks for another awesome Daveypoo video!

The lack of reverb is deliberate - I want to show the app as bare bones as possible. It's easy to add reverb, EQ, and other things to sweeten it up, but I don't feel like that truly represents the app itself.

I have a plan to discuss this on more detail - stay tuned.

And yes - the clattering is obnoxious. Working on that.

This is a Warts And All Production, in more ways than one!

😉

• Yeah, @Daveypoo, it would have been disingenuous to demonstrate an amp simulator that doesn't have a reverb — with a reverb.

Of course if you announced early in the video that Sound Master doesn't have a reverb and then mentioned you were using such and such reverb, that would be cool as well.

Perhaps a dry then wet demonstration would possibly have been ideal?

• Different software developers take different approaches to Effects in their AUv3 products:

Nembrini - they duplicate every knob and feature of the amp being modeled. The
    Cali Reverb for example has a reverb effect. This Fender Sound Master does not have a reverb in it's hardware.

OverLoud - they duplicate one channel of an Amp and do not include any FX in the Amp model but they sell a vast array of stomp box and rack FX devices you can add before or after any amp model. Their Rig Libraries include dozens of amp profiles modified with an array of stomp FX devices like Tube Screamers, distortions and Overdrives. Any of the OverLoud FX devices can be configured before or after these Rigs.

Blue Mangoo - they model a specific tone of a suggested recording including the Amp with some Room (reverb). The product has about 8 "rigs" as I recall.

Mooer GE Labs - Modeled Amps, FX in the product... all open to configure but you must pay to save a preset into a paid slot (2, 50 to unlimited slots available). They sell a hardware
    "simulation device" like a Kemper Amp Modeler and want to win coverts to the hardware.

I think @Daveypoo showing what you will get with the app is a wise approach. He doesn't
    pretend to be doing a great product demo but more of a tutorial on the app.

@flo26 does excellent Amp Sim demos but he goes the other way and uses his favorite IR
    Cabinet App (iConvolver) loaded with his favorite OwnHammer IR file and the excellent plate reverb preset in AdVerb2. I think he has made a video demo of this app too. He's currently a huge fan of the Overloud TH-U Amp's even though his initial reaction was
    less than stellar. That just proves we have good and bad experiences with a new purchase
    and sometimes we miss the real value of an app until we get to spend more time with the right configuration of knobs, options and fx.

@flo26 rarely teaches how to use the apps ay a knobs level because english is not his primary language so he lets the guitar speak for him. @daveypoo in the other hand is very articulate in english and dabbles in italian I gather. He's also pretty conversant in cheese.

• Well put, McD!

• When a dev sends me a code, I feel a sense of obligation to do a video and to try and find something positive I can say about the apps. There are often times when I default to doing a tutorial over something more creative if I either don't have any good ideas, or if I'm strapped for time (very often the case).

I know that my Nembrini videos are a cursory overview at best, and only offer a small glimpse of what these apps are capable of tonally. The thing is - there are 100 guitarists out there making videos of these same apps, who are better players than I and have a gift/knack for virtual guitar tones that I lack. So rather than try to compete and end up coming up shy in the guitar department, I'd rather give you a very unglamorous look at the app in it's most raw form, so you can see what it's like without all the window dressing. It helps give me an angle while taking the focus off my shit playing and shit tones, and fulfills my personal sense of obligation to the dev.

• McDMcD
    edited August 2020

I'm fan of simplicity and one of my favorite AUv3 amp meals is the FabFilter Saturn with a nice Chianti and some Fava beans. Saturn is a real tone shaping beast and being AUv3 you can run more than one instance too to use more than one of it's profiles.

We have so many AUv3 options its time to start complaining about too many options making us less productive.

• edited August 2020

One last note - when filming these videos, it's hard to get things loud enough to mask the acoustic jangling of my electric guitar strings (it's just the nature of my house and setup). If I don't keep the overall level down, everything bleeds into my vocal mic, making editing miserable. This colors what I'm hearing (even with headphones on), and I often hear the app's tones more clearly when I'm editing and can mute the vocal mic, eliminating that cursed jangle. What I often feel is a decent tone while in the moment of filming ends up sounding quite different when isolated during editing.

Hope that makes sense.

• I've had a great deal of fun using Saturn 2 as a pre-amp into Sound Master. Give it a try!

• @SNystrom said:
    I've had a great deal of fun using Saturn 2 as a pre-amp into Sound Master. Give it a try!

Combinations into combinations into combinations... into Application crashes.

• Zero crashes with me in AUM for weeks so far, but in these very dangerous times it's probably not worth others bothering to risk audio catastrophe...

• I’ve been enjoying sound master with Thafknar a lot, it really opens it up for me. I do hope to see more Fender amps, I’m dying for a twin reverb. Always enjoy your videos, @Daveypoo!

• I listened to this video while I was in the shower tonight. The natural reverb of the tile shower complimented the sound perfectly! Davey, I don’t know what you’re talking about; “not very good at dialing in a good sound”, because it sounded awesome to me!!

So much so that I’m drying off and going to buy this Nembrini app right now lol...

• @SNystrom said:
    I've had a great deal of fun using Saturn 2 as a pre-amp into Sound Master. Give it a try!

I keep hearing good things about Fabfilter. That good eh?

• I really love it.

I enjoy using it all by itself, it has some great presents, but it's a really diverse app.

It can color existing tones both (pre and post) and just adds that lil' something special to most of my guitar amps as well as synths.

The sale ended recently, so if I were you I'd perhaps wait for the Black Friday sale in November.

I haven't purchased their other apps, but am planning on buying the bundle then:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app-bundle/fabfilter-pro-bundle/id1469377147

Realize of course that this bundle does not include Saturn 2...

• @Daveypoo said:
    When a dev sends me a code, I feel a sense of obligation to do a video and to try and find something positive I can say about the apps. There are often times when I default to doing a tutorial over something more creative if I either don't have any good ideas, or if I'm strapped for time (very often the case).

I know that my Nembrini videos are a cursory overview at best, and only offer a small glimpse of what these apps are capable of tonally. The thing is - there are 100 guitarists out there making videos of these same apps, who are better players than I and have a gift/knack for virtual guitar tones that I lack. So rather than try to compete and end up coming up shy in the guitar department, I'd rather give you a very unglamorous look at the app in it's most raw form, so you can see what it's like without all the window dressing. It helps give me an angle while taking the focus off my shit playing and shit tones, and fulfills my personal sense of obligation to the dev.

Hi Dave,
    thanks for your tutorial.
    I think you’re doing a great job, if I put myself in the shoes of a guitarist who wants to know the characteristics of an amp simulation app, your videos, like those of Doug @thesoundtestroom , are always generous of good advice and, which is by no means negligible, with sympathy and hospitality, and is a real pleasure to watch your channels regardless of the product reviewed.
    So thank you and keep it up!
    Andrea

• edited August 2020

Thanks, @And_Nembrini @Intrepolicious @Fingolfinzzz - I'm so glad you like the videos. Can't wait to see what the amazing Nembrini team comes up with next!

• I typically need videos at 2 points in an app purchase lifecycle:

1. before I buy it to judge if I'll like the way it sounds, works or performs.
    2. after I have bought it and I can't make it sound, work or perform as expected.

@thesoundtestroom navigates me through both phases often in the same video.
    @daveypoo is a master for #2.

"The trick is opening the last line in this menu and selecting "Warp drive".

He showed us how to make portamento work in Drambo... right?