Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

USB-C to 3.5mm dongle in AUM on iPad pro

I realized that when I plug my headphones in my USB-C dongle (USB-HDMI-audio jack), DSP starts to peak more than 75% in AUM and many apps bug and need to be reloaded.

It happens as soon as I plug the headphone jack so my bet is that there is some DSP usage from the dongle. This doesn't happen with my Presonus audio interface (Studio26C).

Anyone aware of a small dongle that works good with AUM?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi. I'm sceptical about the HDMI aspect of your device. The iPad creates an H.264 video stream to send to an HDMI adapter. This is extra work that is unnecessary. Have you tried an audio-only adapter, like the Apple one, https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter ?

• @uncledave said:
    Hi. I'm sceptical about the HDMI aspect of your device. The iPad creates an H.264 video stream to send to an HDMI adapter. This is extra work that is unnecessary. Have you tried an audio-only adapter, like the Apple one, https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter ?

I think the adapter uncledave recommends looks like a good choice for your need.

However I have a Apple USB Type-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, #MUF82AM/A. I use it with my 2020 iPad Pro 11” to power the iPad while I use my MOTU M2 interface. I don’t use the HDMI connector at all. I just checked a 9 channel AUM/Audiobus session with and without the adapter. I could not see any difference in the dsp, which was in the mid to high 20’s. So in my case, with this adapter it appears that there is no extra work for the iPad...

• Whenever you plug anything audio related into an iOS device, the audio routing has to be reconfigured - especially if your headphones have a microphone. This could explain the spike in CPU usage.

The way to test is to plug everything in before starting AUM and then load the same session. If the CPU is more normal than before, you have your answer.

• edited August 2020

Thanks for your hints. I did try the Apple audio-usbc dongle without any problem but I need the usbc too (to plug my Launchpad pro).
    So I need a « usbc - usbc, 3.5mm jack dongle ».

• Jakob Haq is right...unfortunately 🤦🏻‍♂️

• @Docjfnoel said:
    Thanks for your hints. I did try the Apple audio-usbc dongle without any problem but I need the usbc too (to plug my Launchpad pro).
    So I need a « usbc - usbc, 3.5mm jack dongle ».

I see. I wonder if the audio interface in your dongle only supports one sample rate, probably 44.1 kHz, and you're using a different sample rate. Converting the data may explain the extra DSP activity. Could you try starting your app after connecting the phones and see if that helps?

• @uncledave said:
    I see. I wonder if the audio interface in your dongle only supports one sample rate, probably 44.1 kHz, and you're using a different sample rate. Converting the data may explain the extra DSP activity. Could you try starting your app after connecting the phones and see if that helps?

I will do and come back to you