Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3.1.1 multiple midi fix stacked on a track - does it work?

Hello!

I am considering purchasing Cubasis for the 3.1.1 update but wanted to check with current users about certain functionality before I do

Could a current user please tell me if midi fix AUV3s function properly if multiple are stacked on the same track? For example, an instance of Rozeta scaler with an instance of mozaic or rhythmbud placed after it in the chain?

Also- is there currently any way to search by sample file name in the media bay?

Comments

• No, it doesn‘t fully work yet. But it is a known bug. Hopefully, there are enough people who want to stack midi effects and let Steinberg know so that they make it on the list of things to fix.

• edited August 2020

They said that should be fixed for next update.

• edited August 2020

@Janosax said:
    They said that should be fixed for latest update.

Would you mind testing it and letting me know? I don’t see it on the list of fixes🤞

• edited August 2020

@annahahn

Excuse me, it was « next » and not « latest » update. It will be fixed, I’ve made the report a few weeks ago:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=300&t=193210

And Mediabay has no search feature.

I’ve reported them 7 different bugs, all of them should be fixed from what they said. I believe they will be, from previous updates fixes. Unfortunately lot of users have complaints but don’t report anything on their forum, nor use their specific report form when asked for. So much potential in CB3, it can be the best iOS DAW ever. It’s a bit sad that some users choose to not take the time to report issues. It’s a 50 bucks app, not a 600/700 desktop DAW, we could all help to get what we want/need. Sorry for being a bit off topic.

• Hi!
    I posted this in another thread but since it’s specific about the issue addressed in this thread, I’ll repost here.
    Here’s a workaround for multiple midi fix stacked on a rack when sending midi to another track. Apparently this is not an issue (or has been fixed) when outputting midi to the same track.

@tahiche said:

@syrupcore said:
    Of course, I found the answer in the manual 30 seconds after posting, because rtfm. :)

MIDI Sources...
    Tracks: Other MIDI tracks can be selected as input or output as well. The limitation is that a track can only output to (or input from) one other track.

So... new question! Is there something like a “passive mult” MIDI AU? No UI required (indeed, no UI preferred). I ask because the next bullet in the manual is:

MIDI Effect multi-output ports: If a MIDI Effect that has multiple outputs is loaded in any MIDI track, its outputs are listed here also.

Seems like one could insert something like a “1 to 4 MIDI Mult” AU on the source track Output and then easily route it to (in this case) up to four destination tracks.

I was trying out this and hit a double jackpot.
    Using MidiBus fx on a midi track as a sender you can send midi to multiple tracks at once. Just disable the midi input on the receiving tracks and add another MidiBus instance set to receive.
    BUT this also solves the midi fix chain problem that I commented before. @Janosax if you’d like to try this, it seems to work....

@tahiche said:
    I was mess8ng around with stacked midi fx and couldn’t get it working right. Then I saw this post
    This doesn’t seem to be fixed, right?.
    I have ChordBud followed by ArpBud. Midi output routed to another track. The output should be just the arpeggio but you can hear both the chords and the arp. When recording, I’d you set it to only record the arp it doesn’t work.

I made a video with both use cases, multiple outputs plus respecting the midi fx chain.
    In this simple example I have Chirdbud followed by ArpBud. The output, as stated before, should just be an arp, not chords+arp which is the default (wrong) behavior. Using MidiBus the output is summed right, and you only get the expected arp.

Here’s a video explaining it. At the beginning it shows the standard behavior and then the fix with MidiBus.

J

• edited May 2021

@tahiche said:
    Hi!
    I posted this in another thread but since it’s specific about the issue addressed in this thread, I’ll repost here.
    Here’s a workaround for multiple midi fix stacked on a rack when sending midi to another track. Apparently this is not an issue (or has been fixed) when outputting midi to the same track.

@tahiche said:

@syrupcore said:
    Of course, I found the answer in the manual 30 seconds after posting, because rtfm. :)

MIDI Sources...
    Tracks: Other MIDI tracks can be selected as input or output as well. The limitation is that a track can only output to (or input from) one other track.

So... new question! Is there something like a “passive mult” MIDI AU? No UI required (indeed, no UI preferred). I ask because the next bullet in the manual is:

MIDI Effect multi-output ports: If a MIDI Effect that has multiple outputs is loaded in any MIDI track, its outputs are listed here also.

Seems like one could insert something like a “1 to 4 MIDI Mult” AU on the source track Output and then easily route it to (in this case) up to four destination tracks.

I was trying out this and hit a double jackpot.
    Using MidiBus fx on a midi track as a sender you can send midi to multiple tracks at once. Just disable the midi input on the receiving tracks and add another MidiBus instance set to receive.
    BUT this also solves the midi fix chain problem that I commented before. @Janosax if you’d like to try this, it seems to work....

@tahiche said:
    I was mess8ng around with stacked midi fx and couldn’t get it working right. Then I saw this post
    This doesn’t seem to be fixed, right?.
    I have ChordBud followed by ArpBud. Midi output routed to another track. The output should be just the arpeggio but you can hear both the chords and the arp. When recording, I’d you set it to only record the arp it doesn’t work.

I made a video with both use cases, multiple outputs plus respecting the midi fx chain.
    In this simple example I have Chirdbud followed by ArpBud. The output, as stated before, should just be an arp, not chords+arp which is the default (wrong) behavior. Using MidiBus the output is summed right, and you only get the expected arp.

Here’s a video explaining it. At the beginning it shows the standard behavior and then the fix with MidiBus.

The issue is still there for me too @LFS, nothing is recorded when « rec to track »button is enabled on the last midi fx of the track chain. I can’t use Midibus on iPhone so another workaround is also to accept to simply not use midi edition at all and just freeze the track for at least using audio arrangement.

• Yes, highly annoying.
    Also having more than one instance of a plug and moving one of them to another slot is still unreliable.

• @mbncp said:
    Yes, highly annoying.
    Also having more than one instance of a plug and moving one of them to another slot is still unreliable.

+1

• Just had a scary experience, reloading a project and my Mozaic preset was gone. Was like a new instance, nothing loaded
    Tried to reload the preset, but closing and re-open CB3 and it was gone. Tried on a new track, same result.

I had to start a brand new project.

First time this appends to me, but it may be related to CB3 AU presets, normally I don't use them, but I tried them today, bad idea.

• This MIDI Tools/Bus trick looks really promising. Might solve my issue in recording proper notes when stacking au MIDI effects. Thanks for sharing!

@tahiche said:
    Hi!

• @mbncp said:
    Just had a scary experience, reloading a project and my Mozaic preset was gone. Was like a new instance, nothing loaded
    Tried to reload the preset, but closing and re-open CB3 and it was gone. Tried on a new track, same result.

First time this appends to me, but it may be related to CB3 AU presets, normally I don't use them, but I tried them today, bad idea.

Sounds like state saving issue. Try this:

From Cubasis, go to iPad/iPhone Home Screen (with home button for example), then swipe Cubasis from multitask view to close it. This helps 100 % with AU state saving. This is supposed to be fixed with last update however.

• The recent updates to Cubasis have been massively useful. And while I expect to see them tighten up some of these loose bolts in a future release, I’m always grateful to learn of consistent workarounds.

• @Janosax said:

@mbncp said:
    Just had a scary experience, reloading a project and my Mozaic preset was gone. Was like a new instance, nothing loaded

Sounds like state saving issue. Try this:

From Cubasis, go to iPad/iPhone Home Screen (with home button for example), then swipe Cubasis from multitask view to close it. This helps 100 % with AU state saving. This is supposed to be fixed with last update however.

That didn't help, but I had another instance of Mozaic on another track, which loaded fine, removed that second track, and now state saving works on the first mozaic instance .. weird, never saw that before

• @Janosax said:

The issue is still there for me too @LFS, nothing is recorded when « rec to track »button is enabled on the last midi fx of the track chain. I can’t use Midibus on iPhone so another workaround is also to accept to simply not use midi edition at all and just freeze the track for at least using audio arrangement.

I was writing and I realized you mention you can’t use MidiBus on iPhone... that sucks, I don’t know if there’s an alternative that works on iPhone.

Since I already tested recording I’ll just say that you can record the output of stacked midi just fine using MidiBus.

The process for recording is basically like what is shows in the video. You need:

• a sender midi track with the stacked midi FX and a MidiBus send instance at the end.
    • A receiver (can be multiple) track with a receiver MidiBus set to “rec to track”.

• Just found a cool workaround on the iPhone, using Loopbud. Just record midi in that AU recorder at the end of the midi fx chain, then export the midi to Cubasis mediabay and import to midi track. Works perfectly 👌

• edited May 2021

.. or using Mozaic globals . There is a little delay but a 1/64 Quant will do(recording at a slower tempos does help). Turn OFF when not in use.
    I guess the Receiver has to be on the last track
    Sender :

// MozBusSend 1.0

@OnLoad
      BUFMAX = 90 //
      Count = -1
    @End

@OnMidiInput
      SendMIDIThru
      if Count >= 0
        Global1[Count] = MIDIByte1
        Global1[Count+1] = MIDIByte2
        Global1[Count+2] = MIDIByte3
        Count = Count + 3
        if Count >= BUFMAX
          Count = 0
        endif
      endif
    @End

@OnHostStart
      FillArray GLOBAL1, 0, BUFMAX
      Count = 0
    @End

@OnHostStop
      Count = -1
    @End

Receiver:

// MozBusRcv 1.0

@OnLoad
      BUFMAX = 90 //
      Count = -1
      SetMetroPPQN 384
    @End

@OnMetroPulse
      if Count >= 0
        while GLOBAL1[Count] > 0
          b1 = Global1[Count]
          b2 = Global1[Count+1]
          b3 = Global1[Count+2]
          Global1[Count] = 0
          SendMIDIOut b1, b2, b3
          Count = Count + 3
          if Count >= BUFMAX
            Count = 0
          endif
        endwhile
      endif
    @End

@OnHostStart
      Count = 0
    @End

@OnHostStop
      FillArray GLOBAL1, 0, BUFMAX
      Count = -1
    @End

• edited May 2021

This could be even better than Cubasis track send or Midi Bus, the sender could send to different tracks (receivers) based on Midi Channel (or a receiver could get the midi from multiple tracks) .. using a different global for each channel .. Steinberg bugs have something good sometimes ;)

• @mbncp said:
    This could be even better than Cubasis track send or Midi Bus, the sender could send to different tracks (receivers) based on Midi Channel (or a receiver could get the midi from multiple tracks) .. using a different global for each channel .. Steinberg bugs have something good sometimes ;)

You can use MidiBus on multiple instances. If you send on, say Bus1, you can set 3 receivers to receive from Bus1. Achieving multiple outputs very easily.

• @tahiche said:

@mbncp said:

You can use MidiBus on multiple instances. If you send on, say Bus1, you can set 3 receivers to receive from Bus1. Achieving multiple outputs very easily.

Right, you have some options, but sending from one track to multiples ones, based on channel, pitch or whatever is cumbersome. I know, I tried :)
    Also I'm not sure since when (os update ? ) but I'm having problems with the MidiTools plugs, annoying.

• @mbncp said:

@tahiche said:

@mbncp said:

Right, you have some options, but sending from one track to multiples ones, based on channel, pitch or whatever is cumbersome. I know, I tried :)
    Also I'm not sure since when (os update ? ) but I'm having problems with the MidiTools plugs, annoying.

Ah, ok, I see what you mean. Yeah, that’d be cool. I can think of a case where you have a keyboard phrase and want to accentuate the lower notes/scale with a bass synth on a second track, sending only the lower notes. I’m gonna give it a try.