Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drambo wizards!

Since I know the answer to most questions can often result in "use Drambo" I have an issue within my iOS setup which I suspect Drambo might be able to solve.

I've built a dub rig within AUM using a Launchcontrol XL. It works really nicely, except that I can only really dub one tune at a time and I'd like to be able load up a wealth of samples and cycle through them.

Here's my use case:

I have a series of channels within AUM which correspond to different track elements.

Channel 1 is drums
Channel 2 is bass
Channel 3 is mids
Channel 4 is vocals/one shots
etc

At present I can use the AUM file player to launch the loops in each channel, or I can use something like EG Pulse to play sequences (currently I'm doing the latter). EG Pulse is great but only has a very limited number of sample slots.

What I'd ideally like is something akin to Launchpad so that I can trigger loops using a controller (i.e. a Launchpad mini) and have them continue to loop until I select another one in the same bank, which will then replace it.

If the Launchpad app had multiple outputs I'd just use that within AUM (also it's only IAA which will become an issue sooner or later). It obviously doesn't and therefore I'm looking for other solutions.

People who know Drambo well: can it do this? If so, how could I discover the way to achieve it? I've done the tutorials and whilst I'm pleased with my synth/sequencer etc and enjoyed making them, doing so didn't get me closer to my goal.

Thanks in advance for anyone able to offer any assistance (and much respect to the awesome things I've already seen within Drambo which gave me the belief that this may be achievable)

Comments

• I can post up images/diagrams/video of what I'm doing if that helps

• This maybe of interest for you.

This is from @echoopera

• edited July 2020

@PeteSasqwax I would basically use Drambo's Sampler module with all loops of one bank loaded on a 1-voice (monophonic) track. This will behave like a drum mute group: Launching a different sample will stop playing the previous one.
    Add another track for each bank.
    Is that what you want?

• @Gravitas said:
    This maybe of interest for you.

This is from @echoopera

Yeah, this is very impressive but doesn't give me a load of information.

@rs2000 said:
    @PeteSasqwax I would basically use Drambo's Sampler module with all loops of one bank loaded on a 1-voice (monophonic) track. This will behave like a drum mute group: Launching a different sample will stop playing the previous one.
    Is that what you want?

This sounds perfect. Would I need to create a sequence with all samples playing in order to ensure that everything is in time? I'm assuming that I would.

I'll experiment today and see how I get on. Thank you.

• @PeteSasqwax said:

@rs2000 said:
    Is that what you want?

This sounds perfect. Would I need to create a sequence with all samples playing in order to ensure that everything is in time? I'm assuming that I would.

Exactly! πŸ˜ƒ

• @rs2000 said:

@PeteSasqwax said:

@rs2000 said:
    Is that what you want?

Exactly! πŸ˜ƒ

Advanced clip-launching :)

• @jolico said:

@rs2000 said:

@PeteSasqwax said:

@rs2000 said:
    Is that what you want?

Exactly! πŸ˜ƒ

Now that you say it... I might even use it myself this way soon πŸ˜…

• @jolico said:

That's it precisely! Like having the performance aspect of Live session view within iOS

• Just chiming in... you could have a set up where multiple loops are running in different Flexis at the same time. There are multiple ways to select which Flexi would be heard. That way you could switch at anytime and the loops would always be in time.

• @bcrichards said:
    Just chiming in... you could have a set up where multiple loops are running in different Flexis at the same time. There are multiple ways to select which Flexi would be heard. That way you could switch at anytime and the loops would always be in time.

That sounds perfect (and I'm watching one of your videos as I type this btw - thank you for them!)

• The idea would be to have Flexis running, probably in scratch mode. If you use a saw LFO (Not bipolar) synced to tempo and use it to modulate offset on Flexi, you get a nice loop.

Selecting which loop plays is a little more involved and I don’t have time right now to put it together. But I have uploaded a patch storage project (32 note zones) that might get you there. You could also use a combination of S&H, note generator, and midi filters to open different VCAs.

• @bcrichards said:
    The idea would be to have Flexis running, probably in scratch mode. If you use a saw LFO (Not bipolar) synced to tempo and use it to modulate offset on Flexi, you get a nice loop.

Ah, that's very handy to know. I'm just trying to do it with a single instance of Flexi right now and it inserts a gap at the end of the loop before the sample loops back around which obviously makes it totally unusable!

Selecting which loop plays is a little more involved and I don’t have time right now to put it together. But I have uploaded a patch storage project (32 note zones) that might get you there. You could also use a combination of S&H, note generator, and midi filters to open different VCAs.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

• @PeteSasqwax If you want to run loops in sync at different speeds without wrong pitch, your only option would be to slice your audio files in Flexi and trigger slices by ascending keys.
    You won't be able to load different loops on the same track then, except you use different patterns but these will affect all tracks.

• It's ok, all the loops will be the same speed. The method Ben suggested (and demonstrates in his video) regarding Scratch mode works perfectly. I quite like the idea of forcing it to play things at the wrong pitch though - drums especially - but I'll try not to get sidetracked with that.

Step one complete: I have a series of loops in different channels all outputting to different outputs within AUM (and looping properly).

Now just the small matter of switching between (soloing, effectively) the loops on each channel...

• https://www.instagram.com/tv/CDRdxwPgI3L/?igshid=19y3gq5g6ktu9

A progress report. All the loops are coming from Drambo. I'll break it down properly if anyone wants me to. I have to confess: I did get beyond this stage because I had too much fun with this setup (and Italizer)

• https://patchstorage.com/flexi-clips/

Got something going here. Definitely room to grow!

• @bcrichards said:I I
    https://patchstorage.com/flexi-clips/

Got something going here. Definitely room to grow!

Benefit here is you can select loop by key and it stays running, and you can get a launchpad sequencer situation going if you use it on multiple tracks

• Ah, this is great! My apologies for radio silence - my head has been elsewhere (although this kind of feels like the standard current condition in lots of ways)

• Ah forgot about pitch. Might map pitch on another nanokontrol scene.