Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Music apps you don't like or disappointed you

We are all constantly posting about apps we love, and it seems that a lot of the time, when anyone has a negative thing to say about an app, people get super defensive. I think having a conversation about what apps we don't like any why is important for both users and developers. I'll post my thoughts in another post so as to not influence or hijack this "post prompt".

Comments

• Drambo was a bit of a disappointment mostly from a personal level. I didn’t really understand the level of effort that was going to be involved to really dig in and create something unique. Also definitely wasn’t a fan of the sequencer.

Every Klevgrand app I’ve gotten except for Brusfri has been a disappointment as well. They’re just not the level of quality that I’d expect from a dev that’s been recommended as often as they’ve been.

• @DukeWonder said:
    Drambo was a bit of a disappointment mostly from a personal level. I didn’t really understand the level of effort that was going to be involved to really dig in and create something unique. Also definitely wasn’t a fan of the sequencer.

I feel you on this. While I dig the sequencer since it reminds me a LOT of Elektron's version, the amount of work that goes in to creating sounds and racks is unenjoyable. I have been downloading other people's stuff from PatchStorage, which has made it a bit nicer. Overall, though, I don't find the FX or synths anything to write home about. What I do like is the flexibility of placing modules before or after certain ones, but again, that takes a lot of time. I find myself mostly using Drambo in AUM as a sequencer (I'm a sucker for conditional trigs), and once I get off my lazy butt, I plan on doing a few mapped MIDI modules for synths I have so I can do parameter locking of my AU synths per step in Drambo.

• edited July 2020

This will end well.
    (EDIT: Sorry if this came off as negative.)

• @DukeWonder said:
    Drambo was a bit of a disappointment mostly from a personal level. I didn’t really understand the level of effort that was going to be involved to really dig in and create something unique. Also definitely wasn’t a fan of the sequencer.

Every Klevgrand app I’ve gotten except for Brusfri has been a disappointment as well. They’re just not the level of quality that I’d expect from a dev that’s been recommended as often as they’ve been.

I agree with the first part. The hype got me, bought as soon as it came out and still haven’t dug in. Now I’m obviously not saying anything bad about the app, just for me it was a deeper dive than I anticipated and haven’t taken the time to do so.

• I don’t think I’ve ever been ‘disappointed’ by any music app I’ve bought. I still think it’s pretty incredible what all these things do which were unheard of on anything except for the most powerful desktops a few years ago, and prior to that, very expensive and space-occupying hardware.

I’ve often bought something on impulse, or reputation, without fully understanding what I might do with it, leading to disappointment in myself, but that’s not the app’s fault!

• @Poppadocrock said:

@DukeWonder said:

I agree with the first part. The hype got me, bought as soon as it came out and still haven’t dug in. Now I’m obviously not saying anything bad about the app, just for me it was a deeper dive than I anticipated and haven’t taken the time to do so.

I am in the same boat. I could quickly rig up a neat system based on simple fundamental concepts that I knew but then I quickly learned that what I knew wasn’t very much. Ooooh, new preset packs for Synthmaster One!

• edited July 2020

Apps that I liked but that crashed on me constantly, causing huge frustration: Enso and Playbeat. The app equivalent of playing hard to get.

I was gutted when I learnt that Ioniarics didn't save its note buffers: the app equivalent of a great drunken fling you were too drunk to remember clearly. After the update to enable buffer saving, it became one of my favourite apps.

Apps with knobs that behave badly. Make your own dating analogy for this one. 😂. I can think of a few but I'm not in the mood to name and shame, lol.

• Just going to leave this here so as not to forget:

“ Disappointment is the feeling of dissatisfaction that follows the failure of expectations or hopes to manifest. Similar to regret, it differs in that a person who feels regret focuses primarily on the personal choices that contributed to a poor outcome, while a person feeling disappointment focuses on the outcome itself. It is a source of psychological stress. The study of disappointment—its causes, impact, and the degree to which individual decisions are motivated by a desire to avoid it—is a focus in the field of decision analysis, as disappointment is, along with regret, one of two primary emotions involved in decision-making.”

• I don't want to name and shame either, but deffo knobs that behave wrong put me right off, and I'm not a keen fan of apps that follow hardware paradigms too closely, never had much patience for fiddly wee menus, and remembering esoteric methods to do the basics makes me shudder in the memory of all the gear I sold off in the early 2000s when computers got good enough to make the same sounds without wanting to rip my fingers off :lol:

Purist skeuomorphism is my bugbear it seems, though Bram Bos seems to hit a really sweet point somewhere near that, but I like Sigth's totally flat aesthetic the most I think...

• Bane Voice: Let the Flames Begin! 🔥 🔥

• FPCFPC
    edited July 2020

Jussi by Klevgrand. What was I thinking?!

Yeah and Drambo too but that's a problem with my brain / limited free time - I'm sure Drambo is amazing If you've got the time and inclination to dig deep.

• edited July 2020

The disappointing apps for me are the ones that are hyped before launch, then come out pretty broken but with a lot of promise, then the dev says he will fix them, but then he/she vanishes forever. And all that potential is lost. Bonus points if they do this with more than one app.

• Yep, knob behaviour is the number one reason here to request a refund immediately and skeuomorphic GUI isn't my fav in most cases... other than that I only buy apps I know I need and what for, while ignoring devs with bad record (f.e. I only needed to buy one 4pockets app to know that it's not for me, so I wouldn't call it disappointment... it's a learning process)

I guess the elephant in the room is the state of DAWs in general...

• @DukeWonder said:>

Same here. I can’t imagine buying another Klevgrand app.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@DukeWonder said:

I’ve also found myself in this boat regarding Drambo. Also, I dislike the file and preset management, which I find clunky. I’ve used it more as a sequencer than I’ve used it for anything else.

• Ah yes tiddly little knobs, sliders and buttons.
    Don’t like them at all (I’m looking at you mostly, Toneboosters)

• edited July 2020

Echo Pitch. At first, I was hyped because I really enjoy Pitch Delay. The price was nice. But there is 2 things I don’t like about this app:
    1- unstable (crash often)
    2- randomly not working

Harmony Eight was in paper a good solution, but it’s more for the voice than for the guitar. You cannot have a good clean delay. The pitch delayed note has always less presence and volume than your original one. Any alternative for a small simple app like Ech Pitch?

• @Gavinski said:
    Apps that I liked but that crashed on me constantly, causing huge frustration: Enso and Playbeat. The app equivalent of playing hard to get.

I was gutted when I learnt that Ioniarics didn't save its note buffers: the app equivalent of a great drunken fling you were too drunk to remember clearly. After the update to enable buffer saving, it became one of my favourite apps.

Apps with knobs that behave badly. Make your own dating analogy for this one. 😂. I can think of a few but I'm not in the mood to name and shame, lol.

I think we need to talk about your love life, Gav.

• More seriously, I can’t say that I’ve ever been disappointed in an app. However, I do catch myself quite often, thinking Bastard! You fucken idiot! What were you thinking?

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Echo Pitch. At first, I was hyped because I really enjoy Pitch Delay. The price was nice. But there is 2 things I don’t like about this app:
    1- unstable (crash often)
    2- randomly not working

I don’t think I ever got that one working. Demos were great though.

• @Montreal_Music yup, Echo Pitch.... Add that to the disappointing dates list. Sounded great, completely unusable due to instability. Badly needs an update. The Holderness tremolo is in the same category. Amazingly wonderful tremolo, I wish someone would make an AU replica. Super unstable though.

• First rule of Drambo is:

Their is nothing wrong with Drambo. It is perfection.

• Probably blasphemy, but Beatmaker 3. When I just getting started, I saw a ton of recommendations for it and picked it up. I didn't understand there was basically 0 content included and I had to set-up everything every time and buy AUV3s. Found Gadget was more in my wheel-house for immediacy and stability.

On the opposite end is Audioshare. Expectations were pretty low but it's probably my most used app.

• edited July 2020

Bebot!

No sequencer
    No sampling
    No XY pad
    No audio editing
    No AUV3
    No Link

It does look great on stage though.

Damn you bebot!

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

I don't know what to think about BeBot. Someone recently claimed he's not real. I doubt that very much, but ever since I heard that I've had this nagging fear deep inside that they're right. If that's true, it would indeed be a crushing disappointment.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@DukeWonder said:>

Same here. I can’t imagine buying another Klevgrand app.

Well if you’re looking for clean sounding fx Klevgrand is definitely the wrong address. I’m madly in love with Klevgrand as their plugins add this nasty analogue saturated goodness that modern computer made music so often lacks. Each to their own I guess.

• edited July 2020

This is why we can’t have nice things.
    Developers have to put up with us.
    I’m surprised they even bother.

But we can’t help it, because the forum is like “trip advisor” for music production apps.

We should respect the hard work the devs put in.
    Even if it’s not our cup of tea, we learn and appreciate those that suit us even more.

Get all the apps you can afford.
    They cost much less than their hardware or pc counterparts and they all fit inside your pocket.

Edit: I’m not talking about evil corporations here.
    Apps by evil corporations deserve to be ripped a new one.

• is sampletank stable yet?

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

I'll confess being disappointed that audio tracks for NS2 is taking so long and there's no indication when they will come. To be clear I'm not disappointed with the developer, and I'm not disappointed with the app itself. In fact the developer is a favorite and the app is something I marvel at and appreciate more than almost any app for what it is.

The disappointment is it gets rare use because I really can't work much without track freeze and audio. It's like having a gorgeous super model girlfriend that lives 1,000 miles away and you only go to see a few times a year. She says she's going to move closer some day but it's been many months and she still can't say when. I start to get the feeling I'll be too old to care by the time she does. ;)

• edited July 2020

Considering all I get from an app on a mobile device for sub $20, usually sub $10, how much the devices and platform has matured, and the fact that developers even adopts this constantly moving dev environment with its myriad hardware...

I have NO complaints.

It is always disappointing though when there is no MIDI input or output or at least reliable connections to audiobus or AUM etc.

Closed noisemakers and walled grooveboxes are pfffffbt.