Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Request new Mozaic Scripts *HERE*

Comments

• heshes
    edited July 2020

@McD I ran across this webpage recently. Not sure exactly how it works yet, but I couldn't help but think it was related to some of your ideas. https://jazzkeys.plan8.co/

Another site, not quite same idea, but fun: https://aidn.jp/mikutap/

• Is there anything out there already or can Mozaic be used to create a push button - mute midi. I know there is a mute midi Mozaic script and several midi filter options but is there a way I can mute the midi notes by pressing a button, and when button is released midi continues to flow through. Quite literally like the mute button on an audio track, but for midi. Sometimes I find my self muting some notes of the audio, usually in a lead part, at certain times in an AUM session for different reasons. I know I could draw this all out in the midi but I want to be able to quickly do it live, do it rhythmically, and then even record the new midi lead being created by muting some of the notes and letting others through. I thought why couldn’t I press a button like I do when I mute the audio. I could rhythmically mute or at certain intervals mute the midi, then unmute, almost just like the mute button in AUM. Even better 2 buttons, - Button #1. Press and it locks mute, press again unlocks mute

• Button#2. Press for mute on, hold finger, on finger release mute back off.

I think this would be such a cool script. If it is out there I haven’t come across it yet. If it isn’t I’d love to see something in this vein. The “mute machine” or “Mute Millennium” Or something.

Heck, maybe you could even set the mute, to mute every other bar, or only mute the first 1/2 of every bar, or maybe even set the mute to run for certain intervals, like mute midi 8 bars, then Mute off 8 bars, or something like that. It could Have several mute functions, Several creative ways to use a simple mute midi button, and/or a mute midi timer type thing.

• rcfrcf
    edited July 2020

@Poppadocrock
    I think you could probably set that up with the Midi Matrix Switch script? It might take two buttons though, and it sounds like you'd prefer a momentary one switch option?

• @rcf said:
    @Poppadocrock
    I think you could probably set that up with the Midi Matrix Switch script? It might take two buttons though, and it sounds like you'd prefer a momentary one switch option?

Yup.

• _ki_ki
    edited July 2020

@Poppadocrock Nice idea, i refactored my ‚Active Notes Tracker Demo‘ script to to do immediate channel mutes and note re-activation.

The pattern based muting of channels is already one of the many feature of my upcoming MutatoR script

Beat juggle with channel mutes.

In normal mode

• All notes and events of the channel are played
    • Pressing a pad will temporary mute the channel, active notes will be canceled
    • Releasing the pad will re-activate the still active notes of the channel immediately

In inverse mode

• No notes of the channel are played, the channel is muted
    • Pressing a pad will temporary un-mute the channel, active notes will play with the press
    • Releasing the pad will mute the notes of the channel immediately

Hold SHIFT while pressing or releasing a channel pad will toggle the state between normal and inverse mode. Inverse mode is visualized by a red pad color.

Of course you can also hold or press simultaneous channel pads.

And you can even change other channels states while holding pads since the SHIFT button
    is applied per pad.

If you for instance temporay muted a channel, but want to keep the mute just press SHIFT while releasing the channel pad.

Techniques

• If a channel contains sustained chords, mute the channel and then in inverse mode tap the channel pad to manually gate the chord

The HELP knob toggles to this description view (double tap is supported)

You download the script at Patchstorage

• That's even better @_ki . I like the inverse mode!

• @_ki said:
    @Poppadocrock Nice idea, i refactored my ‚Active Notes Tracker Demo‘ script to to do immediate channel mutes and note re-activation.

The pattern based muting of channels is already one of the many feature of my upcoming MutatoR script

Beat juggle with channel mutes.

In normal mode

• All notes and events of the channel are played
    • Pressing a pad will temporary mute the channel, active notes will be canceled
    • Releasing the pad will re-activate the still active notes of the channel immediately

In inverse mode

• No notes of the channel are played, the channel is muted
    • Pressing a pad will temporary un-mute the channel, active notes will play with the press
    • Releasing the pad will mute the notes of the channel immediately

Hold SHIFT while pressing or releasing a channel pad will toggle the state between normal and inverse mode. Inverse mode is visualized by a red pad color.

Of course you can also hold or press simultaneous channel pads.

And you can even change other channels states while holding pads since the SHIFT button
    is applied per pad.

If you for instance temporay muted a channel, but want to keep the mute just press SHIFT while releasing the channel pad.

Techniques

• If a channel contains sustained chords, mute the channel and then in inverse mode tap the channel pad to manually gate the chord

The HELP knob toggles to this description view (double tap is supported)

You download the script at Patchstorage

Thanks @_ki That was fast, lol. I had an idea and not that many hours later you made it a reality. So cool. Thank you for another great script. Going to download and try it out now. Cheers.

• Most of the code was already there as i just published a script snippet for active note tracking including the note display on the pads. So i basically had only to add 30 lines of code for the mute handling, do the ui tests and debugging and come up with a description :)

• I’ve just updated my weird dx7 / Dixie mucking up patch here:

https://patchstorage.com/dixtructa-dixie-dx7-patch-destroyer/

I’m not sure but I think my maths might be a bit off, the bias (A cumulative translatecurve function) seems to affect stuff in a way that I didn’t expect, but it might just be he nature of the beast. If anyone with any sense of this sort of thing has a chance I’d love a bit of feedback or appraisal of just how gnarly a mess I’ve made :)

Also wondering how much difference turning some of it into functions would make, or if it might just be a an administrative burden.

One other thing I’m wondering is that I’ve used a for loop to cycle through parameters in steps of 21 but I’d like to shuffle that order to see if it helps with the destructive mission of the patch...

Any other thoughts most welcome!

Cheers,

Chris

• McDMcD
    edited July 2020

@Krupa said:
    I’ve just updated my weird dx7 / Dixie mucking up patch here:

https://patchstorage.com/dixtructa-dixie-dx7-patch-destroyer/

This is an interesting script case for Sysex. It's a kick to change the KQ Dixie settings and
    see you're logged output in the Mozaic window (and mentally convert the displayed decimal values to hex). It makes the various code sections make more sense.

Then doing the reverse and tweaking your script knobs and the KQ Dixie GUI starts changing settings for the selected Algorhythms and the OSC pitch and envelope parameters.

Nice work. The Mozaic GUI is a lot easier to adjust then the KQ Dixie UI if you're just trying to move through random settings seeking something different.

https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/2o/mmjqtqhjjiry.jpeg

• Cheers @McD I’m glad you like it, I think you’d looked at it in the first place when that cartridge generator came out and kinda set me thinking... think I’ll need an imaginative leap to push it much further but it’s definitely doing a lot of what I intended 🤟

• @Krupa said:
    Cheers @McD I’m glad you like it, I think you’d looked at it in the first place when that cartridge generator came out and kinda set me thinking... think I’ll need an imaginative leap to push it much further but it’s definitely doing a lot of what I intended 🤟

I'm wondering if there's a way to change the frequency on just one of the OSCILLATORs
    at a time rather than have all three change in parallel jumps. Having oscillators out of
    tune or in fixed intervals is where the really rich sounds come from. Maybe tweaking one of the parameters for OpsCoarse, OpsFine and OpsDetune sysex will make it only change OSC1, 2 or 3. That would be a good update but it would also require changing to the Mozaic UI screen with 22 knobs.

When you figured out that KQ Dixie was sending out Sysex when the settings were being changed that really opened Pandora's box. I was sending big blocks of Sysex and just getting Mozaic errors so I quit. I'm glad you find a way to turn GUI info into Sysex messages and interact with the App.

I can't get any of my MIDI observer apps to display the sysex coming out of KQ Dixie (MIDI Spy, MIDI Wrench and MIDI Monitor 2). Weird. So, I'm really glad you were able to get Mozaic to display these output values.

I wonder there are any other apps that might support this model of sysex exchange interface?

• @McD said:

@Krupa said:
    Cheers @McD I’m glad you like it, I think you’d looked at it in the first place when that cartridge generator came out and kinda set me thinking... think I’ll need an imaginative leap to push it much further but it’s definitely doing a lot of what I intended 🤟

I'm wondering if there's a way to change the frequency on just one of the OSCILLATORs
    at a time rather than have all three change in parallel jumps. Having oscillators out of
    tune or in fixed intervals is where the really rich sounds come from. Maybe tweaking one of the parameters for OpsCoarse, OpsFine and OpsDetune sysex will make it only change OSC1, 2 or 3. That would be a good update but it would also require changing to the Mozaic UI screen with 22 knobs.

When you figured out that KQ Dixie was sending out Sysex when the settings were being changed that really opened Pandora's box. I was sending big blocks of Sysex and just getting Mozaic errors so I quit. I'm glad you find a way to turn GUI info into Sysex messages and interact with the App.

I can't get any of my MIDI observer apps to display the sysex coming out of KQ Dixie (MIDI Spy, MIDI Wrench and MIDI Monitor 2). Weird. So, I'm really glad you were able to get Mozaic to display these output values.

I wonder there are any other apps that might support this model of sysex exchange interface?

Actually you’ve noticed something that I’d forgotten but keep meaning to address; b before I implemented the for loop, each alternate op would be moved in the opposite direction (100-value rather than just the value) which gave that richness of which you speak... I need to figure out a method of bringing this back. I was thinking of using the pads as witches in some way but perhaps you’re right about making the switch to the full 22 known knob layout...

The sysex readout from Dixie came free with one of the tutorial presets I think, just worked out of the box 👊

• Managed to restore some of the horror feel of the earlier versions using Modulo to alternate the frequency change directions, think I’d like to implement a switch so that the fine and coarse tunings can also be done in the same direction... I guess it’s simple enough with the pads to latch a variable that I can ‘if’ in the same check...

• @Krupa said:
    Managed to restore some of the horror feel of the earlier versions using Modulo to alternate the frequency change directions, think I’d like to implement a switch so that the fine and coarse tunings can also be done in the same direction... I guess it’s simple enough with the pads to latch a variable that I can ‘if’ in the same check...

YES... Alternating directions will insure detuning. Good idea. Fewer knobs means you get to keep the X-Y pads and use the PAD's for switches.

If you have the energy, you can also use the "SHIFT" button to toggle between 2 or more
    layout screens and offer more controls for anyone interested in really tweaking the app.

You will see that getting folks to use, evaluate and comment on your scripts is tricky.
    Obviously, users would have to own Mozaic and KQ Dixie which is why I'm curious if more
    synths expose sysex interfaces for tweaking via Mozaic.

Your script allows me to very quickly dial up a huge variety of sound textures.

Personally, I don't think anyone has the habit of changing Mozaic scripts so I would pass
    on implementing Functions to "make it look good". It looks great and is pretty easy to
    figure out. Very few will ever poke around in your code unless they are interested in seeing
    sysex send/receive with a predetermined target app. I expect the real payoff will be for someone with hardware they want to manage from IOS like when I had a Roland JX-3P that
    didn't have programming knobs unless you bought the "Program Module" for another $300. I spent hours making presets setting one parameter at a time with one slider and
    some menu navigation buttons. I just didn't have the money. The JX-3P had a 16 step sequencer as I recall.

• Cheers for the encouragement @McD , I’m struggling to even figure out the pad latch thing so the thought of the [shift to another screen] thing gives me cold sweats 🤣
    Almost wondering if another separate script would be better in some ways, starting to think about complex ways to sweep a centre or base frequency and have the OP’s each with their own offsets, either as a function/ratio or just absolute, all interesting possibilities...

Also thinking of tweaking the cc controls in metroplex sequences script to output the sysex and seeing what happens there, I’ve got form tweaking that script already so might be fun...

As regards other synths, yeah for sure would be great to see what other unique interactions could be had - I’ve had an old Casio cz on long term loan to a mate of a mate so might be time to call that back to the farm for some modern day messing!

• Little update, the top left pad toggles between straight up down control of the tuning knobs for each op, if you tap it once, the log will show a 1 which means that the mangle mode is engaged, and the ops will alternately go up and down, malign richer more discordant sounds... tap again to see a 0 and the mode will be disengaged - I need to figure out the highlight / adding text to the pads, I’m sure it’s simple enough :)

• @Krupa said:
    Cheers for the encouragement @McD , I’m struggling to even figure out the pad latch thing so the thought of the [shift to another screen] thing gives me cold sweats 🤣

Once you have something that works it's best to add small simple enhancements with
    some testing to insure you didn't break anything. Great programmer's will map out
    a massive number of features and work tirelessly towards that design but I prefer the
    "it's working but... I could add one more thing... and one more thing... and I quit."
    I usefully quit because it's gotten too big to manage and a whole section needs to be
    re-coded. At some point you loose interest and (in my case) so have any possible users.

Don't let me push you into a direction you're not happy working on. It's really fun when it works and even more fun if someone uses it. And really fun if they make some music with it and upload their effort. I haven't had the last part yet. Most don't.

• @Krupa said:
    Little update, the top left pad toggles between straight up down control of the tuning knobs for each op, if you tap it once, the log will show a 1 which means that the mangle mode is engaged, and the ops will alternately go up and down, malign richer more discordant sounds... tap again to see a 0 and the mode will be disengaged - I need to figure out the highlight / adding text to the pads, I’m sure it’s simple enough :)

Is it Version 4 and available to download and play with?

• @McD said:

@Krupa said:
    Little update, the top left pad toggles between straight up down control of the tuning knobs for each op, if you tap it once, the log will show a 1 which means that the mangle mode is engaged, and the ops will alternately go up and down, malign richer more discordant sounds... tap again to see a 0 and the mode will be disengaged - I need to figure out the highlight / adding text to the pads, I’m sure it’s simple enough :)

Is it Version 4 and available to download and play with?

Yes indeed 👍🤞🤟

• McDMcD
    edited July 2020

OK... I had a play with Dixtructa Version 4.

I started:
    (2) KQ Dixies
    (2) Mosiacs loaded with Dixtructa V.4 scripts
    (2) Riffers
    Mixed down to a master track with:
    (1) Thafnar with an iPad Mic recorded "Phfft" IR file. Long IR's of anything make massive space reverbs. This one just changes the spectral map of the sounds coming through.
    (1) EOS Reverb

And dialed in some interesting eerie KQ Dixie sounds and over the life of the recording I
    tweaked seem of the tuning knobs and surveyed the different algorithms.

I think putting LFO's on the tuning knobs would take it to another level for industrial and horror weirdness. When it sounds like the spaceship is lifting off that's just me slowly turning the Coarse Tuning knob so an LFO on that would make some cool morphing effects.

• @McD said:
    OK... I had a play with Dixtructa Version 4.

I started:
    (2) KQ Dixies
    (2) Mosiacs loaded with Dixtructa V.4 scripts
    (2) Riffers
    Mixed down to a master track with:
    (1) Thafnar with an iPad Mic recorded "Phfft" IR file. Long IR's of anything make massive space reverbs. This one just changes the spectral map of the sounds coming through.
    (1) EOS Reverb

And dialed in some interesting eerie KQ Dixie sounds and over the life of the recording I
    tweaked seem of the tuning knobs and surveyed the different algorithms.

I think putting LFO's on the tuning knobs would take it to another level for industrial and horror weirdness. When it sounds like the spaceship is lifting off that's just me slowly turning the Coarse Tuning knob so an LFO on that would make some cool morphing effects.

Oh mate, that’s the sort of joy I hoped this would bring! I have been putting Rozeta lfos on the knobs to test that it and it definitely does interesting stuff...

I still think I need to tame the maths a bit as there’s a lot of was you can get it to go very quiet, might just be the ranges of the bias setting?

A full on “every op frequency with a knob“ is possible with the other layout and it’s probably quite easy to put together now I know how so I think I’ll try that and see what madness it triggers in my mind :)

Thanks for sharing!

• I had an idea that worked for BM3. I’m nobody to be giving advice, but I’m getting so much help I want to contribute. tk32 has been helping me with a ghost note helpers option like FL. Atom can do it, but I’m app’d out at the moment. So I copied a midi sequence from one bank’s piano roll and pasted into another, turned velocities to zero and put it one octave under where I will be placing notes for this instrument. It ain’t elegant, but it worked to show me where my notes where in other instruments and their length. Once I’m done, I delete the zero velocity sequence. Wonder if Mozaic (deep water ahead for me) could be used to write a script to dull the note color or change it so you could overlay in same octave and pre-turn down the velocity to 0. Either way, it worked for me until I buy atom. I’m old so don’t blow me up if this is obvious or not dope 🤣

• @McD I did this morning make a separate script that just lays out the ops frequencies on the 22 knob page and it is useful for just tweaking stuff that you’ve mashed up - would be good to maybe put it in the main one with the shift function but not sure if that's a whole lot of work or not?

It’d also be cool to figure out some way of linking those knobs so that there was still some way of making global changes in that interface - I saw one accept was using double taps on knobs but not sure that’s documented anywhere I can find...

• @Krupa said:
    @McD I did this morning make a separate script that just lays out the ops frequencies on the 22 knob page and it is useful for just tweaking stuff that you’ve mashed up - would be good to maybe put it in the main one with the shift function but not sure if that's a whole lot of work or not?
    It’d also be cool to figure out some way of linking those knobs

It's pretty easy to add.

The knobs in all the display options are still numbered 0 to 22. In your current version
    only 0-5 are reachable. So... there are functions for shift presses:

@OnShiftDown
    if current_display = 0
    ShowLayout 1
    current_display = 1
    else if
    ShowLayout 0
    current_display = 0
    endif
    END

You can extend this approach to cycle through multiple "pages" of the same Layout
    by use "state variables". I took a swing at that and the app got really large fast with a lot
    of unintended side effects since my "add a new feature" starts to show it's dangers after
    a few hundred lines which is why the King's of Moziac tend to start with a complete design and don't use my "Lego" architectures. They create GUI prototypes with everything planned.

How can you link a Rozetta LFO to you knobs? Did you add CC event detection or are
    Knobs exposed as AUM Parameters?

• @McD said:

@Krupa said:
    @McD I did this morning make a separate script that just lays out the ops frequencies on the 22 knob page and it is useful for just tweaking stuff that you’ve mashed up - would be good to maybe put it in the main one with the shift function but not sure if that's a whole lot of work or not?
    It’d also be cool to figure out some way of linking those knobs

It's pretty easy to add.

The knobs in all the display options are still numbered 0 to 22. In your current version
    only 0-5 are reachable. So... there are functions for shift presses:

@OnShiftDown
    if current_display = 0
    ShowLayout 1
    current_display = 1
    else if
    ShowLayout 0
    current_display = 0
    endif
    END

You can extend this approach to cycle through multiple "pages" of the same Layout
    by use "state variables". I took a swing at that and the app got really large fast with a lot
    of unintended side effects since my "add a new feature" starts to show it's dangers after
    a few hundred lines which is why the King's of Moziac tend to start with a complete design and don't use my "Lego" architectures. They create GUI prototypes with everything planned.

How can you link a Rozetta LFO to you knobs? Did you add CC event detection or are
    Knobs exposed as AUM Parameters?

Ah cool, that looks fairly simple, I’d assumed that I’d have to check for which page I’m on for each interaction or something... I’ll give it a go tomorrow I think... There’s so many mad things that I can think of doing, let’s see how I fare 🤣

And yeah, the knobs appear in aum mapping so was fairly simple to drive stuff that way, though I guess internal lfos might be slower...

Thanks for the guidance there McD 👍

• @Krupa said:
    Mosaic knobs appear in aum mapping so was fairly simple to drive stuff that way, though I guess internal lfos might be slower...

That's really useful info. I never thought to look. I tend to use @brambos Rozeta apps to
    get ideas that could be coded using Mozaic. I haven't tackled a Mozaic LFO project yet.

I'm curious. When you change a Preset in KQ Dixie does it send out the new Presets Sysex
    dump? Your app would display the first 5 bytes in decimal but does it send the whole enchilada?

Anyone know or ready to test it? Are there any other useful KQ Dixie sysex messages not yet explored?

I have a hardware keyboard that might make a good target for some Sysex experiments in
    Mozaic but are there any other Sysex send/receive IOS apps to use for new scripts?

• I didn’t explore that sysex dumping too deeply tbh, I just used it to make sense of / confirm what I’d read in a sort of manual thing I eventually found for the dx7... I’m trying to track down a cz synth I lent a long time ago now that I’ve made this script, as two decades after I bought it in Notting hill music exchange, I finally know why 🤣

Actually, quick check reveals that preset change spits out seventeen or so sets of sysex, that might be the bytes you’re looking for?

• @Krupa said:
    Actually, quick check reveals that preset change spits out seventeen or so sets of sysex, that might be the bytes you’re looking for?

Yes. My original thought was to take a complete "preset" and start making changes in various HEX values and listen for changes in the synth. Your approach is so much better.
    I'm glad you found that "manual thing" and discovered this short message based approach.

If I'm not careful I might start buying hardware just to have more interesting sysex targets.
    I do have some guitar pedals that respond to sysex, I think.

• I do keep thinking that it’d be nice to take the rational approach as you imagined it, but I think it’s well beyond my current capabilities. It could be another nice way of designing sounds but I do however like the non linear outcome I’ve arrived at as well -it’s next to impossible to dial back to the same setting as you had before. That’d pricey drive some folk mad with ocd palpitations but it sits nicely with me :)

I’m tempted by hardware all of a sudden, I’ve always struggled with music hardware interfaces and finally I’ve found a way to get to the innards in a way that I actually enjoy!

Resist I must, I’ve got to get rid of everything if I want to flee to Greece 🤣