Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VisualSwift now supports hosting AUv3 Audio Unit Extensions and AUv3 Effects with Multi-output

This might be of interest to some.

VisualSwift is an iPadOS tool for creating apps quickly without requiring coding. After creating an App visually, swift code can be generated and exported to be included in an Xcode project and built.

A test version is available through TestFlight, link on their website.

https://visualswift.com/

Some videos here:

Hosting Auv3 Audio Unit Extensions

Hosting Auv3 effects with multi-output

How to create a software synth

Comments

• This is interesting :) It does something I wish all hosts had the option for too, it gives a full screen view for the AU, with a little x to leave the view, which is a good option if you don't want to use a windowed view all the time.

• edited July 2020

This is essentially Synthmaker for iOS. Jorge was one of the original Synthmaker devs.

• Interesting, it's almost like a modular (more literal than AUM) host, so you could use for more experimentation.

• So can this be used to make AUv3’s?

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    So can this be used to make AUv3’s?

Not yet, but it looks to be going that direction. You can create a synth in it, but I don’t see anything there yet that will turn that into code that you could compile with XCode to be an Audio Unit. And the app itself isn’t an Audio Unit, so you couldn’t host it in anything.

(edit: I could be wrong about any of this. There’s very little documentation, so it’s all guesswork and poking around at this point.)

Likewise, while it can host AU’s, it doesn’t have a way to compile down to a standalone host. So far it all seems to be run-time.

At this point I’d say it’s a bit like a cross between Audulus and ZMors Modular.

Early days - and the app is still going through major changes. The video tutorials from seven months ago are obsolete.

Interesting stuff, and very promising.

• @ipadbeatmaking @wim

from the website.

"The swift code can then be copied or exported via the Pasteboard or Airdrop and pasted in an Xcode project for building the app."

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@shinyisshiny said:
    @ipadbeatmaking @wim

from the website.

"The swift code can then be copied or exported via the Pasteboard or Airdrop and pasted in an Xcode project for building the app."

@shinyisshiny said:
    @ipadbeatmaking @wim

from the website.

I know, but there have been radical changes in the app the last few versions. I think he backtracked to redo some things and is now bringing back features one-by-one as he debugs them. There is much missing from what the early videos and web postings show.

I can easily be wrong, but I’ve dug into this a lot more than just reading posts on the web site. The app in its current iteration has only passing resemblance to much of that.

• Damn I’d love to try this out but i don’t have an iPad that can be updated to 13.4

• @wim i see. hope that it gets sorted out and is able to fully make apps. would be so cool!

• @Fingolfinzzz said:
    Damn I’d love to try this out but i don’t have an iPad that can be updated to 13.4

Got a Mac?

• @wim said:

@Fingolfinzzz said:
    Damn I’d love to try this out but i don’t have an iPad that can be updated to 13.4

Got a Mac?

I do but the charge port is wonky and I think it has an overheating problem cos it likes to just shut itself off at random

• @Fingolfinzzz said:

@wim said:

@Fingolfinzzz said:

Got a Mac?

I do but the charge port is wonky and I think it has an overheating problem cos it likes to just shut itself off at random

Well, there is a Mac beta version. I think it's not been in-sync with the iOS version at times, but the developer plans to keep them in sync. Right now there are display issues on my iPad Air 2, so I'm using the Mac version, but some modules are missing on the Mac side.

This is very much beta software, but hugely promising!

• Yeah it does look very deep. I wonder what kind of pricing model he will go for, hoping not subscription.

• @Fingolfinzzz said:

@wim said:

@Fingolfinzzz said:

Got a Mac?

Yep, it's a Mac. Just works!

• @Carnbot said:
    Yeah it does look very deep. I wonder what kind of pricing model he will go for, hoping not subscription.

If it really does generate app-ready Swift/Obj-C/C++ code he could get away with charging a lot. Could be that it'll be like JUCE - free up to a certain amount of revenue, but with a splash screen - then various subscription tiers or one-time purchase.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Fingolfinzzz said:

@wim said:

@Fingolfinzzz said:

Got a Mac?

Yep, it's a Mac. Just works!

They're fixing that issue with their own silicon. 😝

• @wim said:

@Carnbot said:
    Yeah it does look very deep. I wonder what kind of pricing model he will go for, hoping not subscription.

If it really does generate app-ready Swift/Obj-C/C++ code he could get away with charging a lot. Could be that it'll be like JUCE - free up to a certain amount of revenue, but with a splash screen - then various subscription tiers or one-time purchase.

Yeah I hope he goes for a demo version with export restrictions for learning it, then a high priced app.

• edited July 2020

Does anyone know if this will be a free or paid app.?

The idea of this is really interesting to me since I can’t code however after playing with it for a little while I realized I was out of my depth. Probably should have watched the videos first...

• Is Xcode only for Mac. I dont see anything in the App Store and on the website no mention of PC version

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Is Xcode only for Mac. I dont see anything in the App Store and on the website no mention of PC version

Yes, it is only for Mac.

• Holy Moly Batman!! I know what I'm doing the rest of the day. Thanks @White!

• Tutorial: How to create an audio Smooth module. Part 1

• I've made VisualSwift - Music free for now. Priority is to make it stable before monetising. Will probably start bringing back the Custom Synth components and Xcode Project Generation as an In App Purchase.

The latest version is waiting for review, once accepted it will allow Pinch and Punch to zoom in and out. This is the same as the latest TestFlight version: https://testflight.apple.com/join/9KePAn4p .

I'm also considering implementing AudioBus support as one of the next features. Another priority is Undo/Redo.

Suggestions are appreciated.

• I hadn’t looked closely at this before but I see it works on the Mac as well so I shall give it a test drive tomorrow as I am very interested in cross-platform AUv3 hosts. @Jorge thank you for making it free, it has clearly had a lot of effort put into it so I hope you find a way of monetising it.

• @Jorge This is very cool! Looking forward to seeing how it updates and grows.

• @MisplacedDevelopment , Thanks, I haven't updated the Mac version for a while and it's not available at the moment. I think the Mac version you're talking about is the iPadOS version running on the Mac but I don't think you have access to the AUv3 plugins that you have on the iPad so not very useful. It is my intention to have a native MacOS version as most of the code will be the same, I've been waiting for Apple to support MacOS apps on TestFlight which it now does.

@TonalityApp Thanks for your interest. I have a lot of features on hold, mainly for creating custom synthesisers and exporting code. I've hidden those features for now as stability has been a problem.

• edited December 2021

@jorge I did a very quick test on the Mac and it has access to all of the AUv3 plugins I would expect. There aren't too many available at this point but the lack of quantity is made up by the great quality of those available. Here I have Atom 2 connected to both Cube Synth Pro and Sunrizer:

The session I saved on the desktop opens on my iPad with the same plugins and settings. I have not tried it but I suspect it would work going back the other way. There are not many cross-compatible hosts available at the moment on Mac/iOS so this is a good selling point for your app.

Edit: just noticed the new update - I like the pinch support!