Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Trick to record “live” multitracks from OP-Z (uses MIDI)

I love the OP-Z. I men, I really love it. But I don’t like recording it into a DAW.

There are two common ways to do this:

1. Record a stereo mix straight from the OP-Z.
  2. Mute all but one track, then record that track all the way through. Repeat for all tracks.

The second one gets the job done, but if you have any live element to your song, you have to repeat it for all 8 tracks. That’s fine, but not everything is repeatable.

My New Improved™ way uses MIDI. Record the stereo mix as before, but at the same time, record midi from all tracks. You must also record the “meta” tracks: FX, tape, master, and punch-in. You’ll end up with 13 midi tracks (or 14 if you record the Component track).

The neat part about the OP-Z is that almost everything is recorded to MIDI. Even the buttons you press on the tape track are recorded.

Then, just play back the midi for, say, the kick track (with the meta tracks also enabled), sending it to the OP-Z. The OP-Z will play back the kick track, with all your live tweaks intact, and you can record it.

Caveats: p-locks are not recorded. So, if you crank up the delay on the last kick of the bar, that won’t be recorded. But punch-in effects are recorded, as are Master Track changes etc.

You also have to make sure midi is getting sent to and from the OP-Z to the correct channels, but that can be set once and saved as a template.

Tested in both Ableton and Cubasis. Maybe I should make a video of this?

Comments

• Have any OP-Z users tried anything like this?

• I would love to receive an OP-Z to try it :smile:

• @MrBlaschke said:
    I would love to receive an OP-Z to try it :smile:

Smiley face emoji.

• @mistercharlie said:

Caveats: p-locks are not recorded. So, if you crank up the delay on the last kick of the bar, that won’t be recorded. But punch-in effects are recorded, as are Master Track changes etc.

Maybe I should make a video of this?

I would definitely like to see a video. I’ve tried something like this with NS2. Obviously not to record the audio stems, but more for sequencing NS2 with the OP-Z. I think I rage quit when I realised the p-locks weren’t recorded, but I didn’t realise the rest was possible as described in your setup.