Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NuRack Auv3 FX Processor by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• @Samu said:
    The new light object is glitchy as swapping the different lights by double tap switches to/from presentation mode...

Have not found any envelope follower yet that can be assigned to parameters.

Yeah, got this and Saturn 2 earlier today so I’ll be knees deep today :D

Check the Velocity Control module (in Dynamics).
    I think it is the envelope follower.

• @CracklePot said:

@Samu said:
    The new light object is glitchy as swapping the different lights by double tap switches to/from presentation mode...

Will do...
    The name is kinda misleading if it is indeed an envelope follower and at least I associate velocity with midi-control.(ie. a note-on would trigger the envelope).

I hitting a few flies at once using ZenBeats as the host for nuRack and Saturn 2 and 'learning' 3 apps in one go :D

• @Samu said:

@CracklePot said:

@Samu said:

Will do...
    The name is kinda misleading if it is indeed an envelope follower and at least I associate velocity with midi-control.(ie. a note-on would trigger the envelope).

I hitting a few flies at once using ZenBeats as the host for nuRack and Saturn 2 and 'learning' 3 apps in one go :D

I agree, the name threw me. I also expected it to be in the Automation section.

Learning 3 apps at once? I am not surprised.
    You will probably have them mastered in an hour or so, and found some bugs that the Beta team missed, too.
    😊

• @CracklePot said:

>

Learning 3 apps at once? I am not surprised.
    You will probably have them mastered in an hour or so, and found some bugs that the Beta team missed, too.
    😊

Haha, well, I do bump into a thing or two that temporarily annoy me but in some cases 'it's by design' so it's not the apps fault.
    I'm taking it easy with just a few audio loops in ZenBeats and processing them with effects...

At least I've got the ZenBeats navigation 'motor memorized' by now so it's more looking for 'missing features', but they will likely come in due time...

I will check the frequency splitters in nuRack next, but why should I when Saturn 2 makes it so easy...
    (And well, Bandit is hard to beat too).

• @White said:
    NuRack FX - Part 3 - Tricks & Tips

It’s easy to get lost for an hour or so in this app! Nice job by Paul.

• @CracklePot said:

@madbanjoman said:
    Is there a way in AUM to switch racks as a midi controller event?

I have the advanced settings on and can control individual items in a rack but I can't figure out how to assign switch rack to a control.

Try using Midi Notes 36, 37, and 38.
    The instance probably has to be the Midi type, and I would connect directly to the instance, rather than looking in the Midi Control panel in AUM.

On the AUM KB use C2, C#2, D2.

The midi foot pedal I use the Xtone Pro only sends CC messages as far as I can tell. So I am not sure how I would convert that message to a MIDI note.

• @madbanjoman said:

@CracklePot said:

@madbanjoman said:
    Is there a way in AUM to switch racks as a midi controller event?

I have the advanced settings on and can control individual items in a rack but I can't figure out how to assign switch rack to a control.

Try using Midi Notes 36, 37, and 38.
    The instance probably has to be the Midi type, and I would connect directly to the instance, rather than looking in the Midi Control panel in AUM.

On the AUM KB use C2, C#2, D2.

The midi foot pedal I use the Xtone Pro only sends CC messages as far as I can tell. So I am not sure how I would convert that message to a MIDI note.

You need to use a Midi Message converter app.
    This one can be setup to do that conversion.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mfxconvert/id1451192046

It can be tricky to setup, but I have verified it works to switch NuRack channels using converted CC to Note messages using this app and an Akai MPK mini.

• nuRack just keeps on getting better and better :)

I just hoping @LFS and his team will seriously consider giving us a more flexible audio & midi routing in Cubasis...
    (I mean if host an AUv3 effect on an AudioTrack and there is no fricking way to send midi to that AUv3 effect like WTF!?).

• @Samu how are you liking zenbeats so far? and how’s the workflow for you, compared to some of the other daws you use? i played around with the free version for a bit and it was fairly fun, but i’m sure having auv3s and some of the other audio effects helps a lot. i’ve been heavily considering trying it out since i havent really found a daw that i’ve really clicked with creatively (besides aum, but thats not a typical daw) but i just can’t really see what all the recent hype it’s been getting

• @itsaghost said:
    @Samu how are you liking zenbeats so far? and how’s the workflow for you, compared to some of the other daws you use? i played around with the free version for a bit and it was fairly fun, but i’m sure having auv3s and some of the other audio effects helps a lot. i’ve been heavily considering trying it out since i havent really found a daw that i’ve really clicked with creatively (besides aum, but thats not a typical daw) but i just can’t really see what all the recent hype it’s been getting

Since the ZenBeats unlock is free at the moment (to get AUv3 support etc.) there's nothing to loose :)
    (Ok you have to create a Roland account and give them your e-mail in order to unlock the app...).

It's actually quite ok even though it has it's quirks that take some time to get used to...

I find it to be quite strange that you can not load any of the factory drum samples into SampleVerse for further mangling.
    And some sound packs can not be un-installed once downloaded but others can?!?
    (I guess I'll just re-install the app to get rid of some of (for me) useless 'VIP Content').

AUv3 support is pretty stable although It does feel that ZenBeats as a 'host' is more resource hungry than others meaning I can not run as many plug-ins in ZenBeats compared to Cubasis 3, BM3 or NS2, AUM or apeMatrix.

NuRack works fine in ZenBeats too but even here the somewhat lacking midi & audio-routing causes some 'issues'.

• NuRack FX - Part 4 - Skinning Effects & New Additions.

• I just bought this because of the custom UI design features.

My ideal use for Nurack would be setting up ANY received Midi-note-On as a modular type gate for triggering an ARSR envelope... the CV output of the ADSR could then be used to modulate various effect parameters. This would be especially useful for setting up the classic filter cutoff's, and other effects, to respond to individual key-strikes in a mono-synth-like fashion.

Is Nurack capable of being set up to function this way now?

If not, I hope 4-Pockets will consider adding this capability, as I imagine many people would use this app for that purpose.

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@horsetrainer said:
    My ideal use for Nurack would be setting up ANY received Midi-note-On as a modular type gate for triggering an ARSR envelope... the CV output of the ADSR could then be used to modulate various effect parameters. This would be especially useful for setting up the classic filter cutoff's, and other effects, to respond to individual key-strikes in a mono-synth-like fashion.

If not ... https://patchstorage.com/midi-adsr/

• Not trying to be that guy.. but Drambo was designed to do exactly what you are describing here.

Audio input goes to effect, then midi > gate triggers as many envelopes as you wish, routing the CV control to almost any parameter, such as delay time, cutoff frequency, phaser freq, etc.

For the time being D doesn't have user customizable GUI options (Giku was talking about adding them in the future). But if you're needing a tool that meets your specifications (routing config, CV resolution, music effect auv3, etc), that tool does already exist.

@horsetrainer said:
    I just bought this because of the custom UI design features.

If not, I hope 4-Pockets will consider adding this capability, as I imagine many people would use this app for that purpose.

• @aleyas said:
    Not trying to be that guy.. but Drambo was designed to do exactly what you are describing here.

Audio input goes to effect, then midi > gate triggers as many envelopes as you wish, routing the CV control to almost any parameter, such as delay time, cutoff frequency, phaser freq, etc.

For the time being D doesn't have user customizable GUI options (Giku was talking about adding them in the future). But if you're needing a tool that meets your specifications (routing config, CV resolution, music effect auv3, etc), that tool does already exist.

@horsetrainer said:
    I just bought this because of the custom UI design features.

Thanks. I'm already a 3 month devoted Drambo user and am looking forward to the future updates.

I just like the designing interfaces for fun, and I like the custom effect design capabilities that Nurack offers.

• Ah I see, cheers @horsetrainer !

I hope 4pockets will implement this kind of mod control too. Can never hurt to have more options!

• @wim said:

@horsetrainer said:

If not ... https://patchstorage.com/midi-adsr/

Thanks wim,

I know I can do it with Mozaic by sending CC to the Nurack Midi Control Module.

I found that I can get a degree of Attack/Release control in Nurack using the Velocity Control Module. But it's more like an Envelope Follower, not the same as a full fledged Midi-note-gate triggered ADSR.

I'm liking that iOS music universe now has two Apps with various degrees of custom UI design capability. Drambo, and now Nurack.

I'm also noticing that Nurack uses Midi note On messages for rack switching, so I guess there would have to be a way of disabling that if Nurack was to internally use Midi note On as a gate for parameter control.

It should be interesting to see how this App progresses, and if 4-Pockets takes the new GUI design engine to the next level, and delivers a customizable modular synth App based on the same design principles. A synth with Nurack's degree of custom layout and design could be cool. :)

Drambo might have a degree of competition.

• edited July 2020

I tried Wim's ADSR Mozaic script using it to control the cutoff on the Classic Filter Module in Nurack.

It works and makes a nice effect...

BUT... On my 2017 base iPad modulating the Cutoff via Midi CC kept spiking the AUM CPU indicator into the red leading to crackle. Otherwise it was averaging 80% CPU for just one Viking Synth, Mozaic, And Nurack.

When I disconnected the CC Mod, the CPU went down to 23%. So there's a possible bug that needs to be verified and the developer notified if confirmed.

EDIT: @wim
    It looks like it's your ADSR Mozaic script that seems to be causing the CPU spikes in my case.

I replaced it with a simple Mozaic script that just uses a knob to send CC 20 to Nurack, and it controls the cutoff in the Nurack filter just fine without CPU spikes.

When I run your ADSR Mozaic script in AUM with nothing else loaded, on my 2007 base iPad, the script seems to use a lot of CPU just by itself.

• Could someone more clever and patient than I explain how the new Talkbox module works...? I can’t really seem to get it to do much, and when I do get something the volume is super low...

• To ManWhoWouldBeStrings:
    At the end of the latest Help:

Some effects require you to have multi channel inputs enabled in order to use them properly. This includes anything that allows you to take input from anything other than 'Bus A', in particular TalkBox and Sidechain Compressor.

TalkBox requires a vocal source and a carrier. It expected the carrier on Bus A (synth engine) and the vocal input on either Bus B or C. By default when you play the instrument on Bus A you will hear nothing until a vocal input is present.

I haven’t used it yet but it’s a vocoder [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocoder] . Take a synth tone or sequencer output, say, and put it into A. Then route voice input into B. The result sounds like the voice is speaking via the carrier.

• @Newstech ahh thanks! I hadn’t seen the updated help section... 🤦‍♂️

• Impulse response loader would be cool ;-)

• Nice, Multiband compressor in the new update

• I’ve held off buying this because I know what would happen. I’ll spend so much time making my racks symmetrical and pretty, I won’t have time to make any music. Having said that though, how do the modules compare in quality to other audio FX apps that I already own?

• How far out and weird are the fx? I don't need too many normal type effects as its covered with tone stack. I love the art and customization but just want to make sure im not getting 'the basics'. Cheers yawl and stay calm!

• @oceansinspace said:
    How far out and weird are the fx? I don't need too many normal type effects as its covered with tone stack. I love the art and customization but just want to make sure im not getting 'the basics'. Cheers yawl and stay calm!

I just asked the developer the same thing. Would love it if he added some granular / spectral goodies to route in the FX.

• Hey, thanks Gus. I even like wonky synth type effects that don't really quite work right. Still waffling....

• @oceansinspace said:
    How far out and weird are the fx? I don't need too many normal type effects as its covered with tone stack. I love the art and customization but just want to make sure im not getting 'the basics'. Cheers yawl and stay calm!

It does have a lot of basics but you can use combinations of basics to create more complex effects to make wild stuff

• Agreed, my secret trick is to do just that! Like making the flanger sound insane, for sure.

• Again, nice new update with Leslie and ReverseDelay.👍🏻

One point: Once created a effect lane and edited the layout - is it possible to change the order of the effects, without loosing the layout adjustments?