Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM battery drain

edited July 2020 in App Tips and Tricks

It has occured to me now several times that even without using my iPad, its battery was empty from one day to another, with a good remaining charge of 60..80%.
I finally found AUM to be the reason, although it was running in the background and neither MIDI nor audio was running inside AUM.
"Well-behaved" audio apps have an inactivity timer that will put the app in suspended state after an adjustable or fixed time, but I haven't found such a setting either in the app itself or in the iOS settings => AUM.
Apparently AUM will recklessly draw battery until the iDevice switches off, so my question is:
How can I avoid that? Is there a setting that will change this behavior?

Edit: I've found a related thread regarding iOS 13 but I'm on iOS 12.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Do you mean after you've quit AUM? Didn't want to come straight in with a facetious answer...

• @rs2000 said:
    It has occured to me now several times that even without using my iPad, its battery was empty from one day to another, with a good remaining charge of 60..80%.
    I finally found AUM to be the reason, although it was running in the background and neither MIDI nor audio was running inside AUM.
    "Well-behaved" audio apps have an inactivity timer that will put the app in suspended state after an adjustable or fixed time, but I haven't found such a setting either in the app itself or in the iOS settings => AUM.
    Apparently AUM will recklessly draw battery until the iDevice switches off, so my question is:

Thanks everyone.

Did AUM have anything loaded in it or was it in a completely cleared state?

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

Thanks everyone.

Did AUM have anything loaded in it or was it in a completely cleared state?

One audio track with AUM's file player as a source and Drambo as an AUFX.

• @steve99 said:
    Do you mean after you've quit AUM? Didn't want to come straight in with a facetious answer...

No, AUM running in the background.

• My money's on Drambo doing the draining then. Why not just quit AUM?

• Close all your apps, or if that is too risky (loss of progress), just leave the device plugged in.

• Interestingly, I was doing something similar in AUM/Drambo yesterday. I just checked my battery usage and Drambo is the main culprit with regards to battery drain.

• Yes, Drambo needs some sleeping pills.

• @steve99 said:
    My money's on Drambo doing the draining then. Why not just quit AUM?

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Interestingly, I was doing something similar in AUM/Drambo yesterday. I just checked my battery usage and Drambo is the main culprit with regards to battery drain.

@supadom said:
    Yes, Drambo needs some sleeping pills.

How can an AUv3 control the application state of the host app??

Sorry but sometimes I just forget to end AUM and with other DAWs, this hasn't ever been a problem.

• edited July 2020

@rs2000 said:

@steve99 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Interestingly, I was doing something similar in AUM/Drambo yesterday. I just checked my battery usage and Drambo is the main culprit with regards to battery drain.

@supadom said:

Sorry but sometimes I just forget to end AUM and with other DAWs, this hasn't ever been a problem.

When there's an AUv3 active, AUM will also stay active. When there isn't AUM will suspend its background activity.

• @brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@steve99 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

When there's an AUv3 active, AUM will also stay active. When there isn't AUM will suspend its background activity.

Do you know by chance how AUv3 "activity" is defined?

• @rs2000 said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@steve99 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

No, but I suspect that if an AUv3 is loaded into a slot and not disabled it is considered active. Not 100% sure though.

• edited July 2020

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@steve99 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

I don’t know which, the host or the hosted will show in battery settings but it happened to me in the past to have left Drambo in the background and found battery flat over a course of a day.

• @rs2000 said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@steve99 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

Having something loaded. If you don't plan on making sound, just clear the project in AUM when you don't plan on using it for a while. If you switch out while stuff is loaded , it will (by design) keep using resources. AUM can't know if you stopped making sound because you are done using the app for the time being or because the drummer is taking a 20 minute solo and needs to be at the ready when you start playing again.

• edited July 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@steve99 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

Having something loaded. If you don't plan on making sound, just clear the project in AUM when you don't plan on using it for a while. If you switch out while stuff is loaded , it will (by design) keep using resources. AUM can't know if you stopped making sound because you are done using the app for the time being or because the drummer is taking a 20 minute solo and needs to be at the ready when you start playing again.

I don't expect AUM to suspend when it's in the foreground, only when it's been running in the background or the iDevice has been put into sleep mode and after some time.
    AUM saves its application state anyway in order to be able to e.g. recover from a low memory situation after which you'll get the choice to start from scratch or reload the last session.

So it looks like there's no such setting, thank you for your responses.

@j_liljedahl: Have you thought about adding such a battery saver setting?