Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Playbeat AU midi... not seeing it...

So I’m guessing it’s just that playbeat midi is “non-standard”... I put playbeat in a midi track in AUM, and it’s nowhere to be seen as a midi source... I see the ability to pick a midi destination in playbeat’s config, but that’s jacked up... you should not need to pick a destination in AU midi. Picking AUM as a destination from within an AU, inside AUM is stupid...

Am I missing something?

Comments

• edited May 2020

Maybe it is redundant for AUM, but for DAWs like Cubasis it makes it easy to route Midi from PB to other tracks in the host.
    I would imagine it would be the same in some of the other DAWs.

For instance, Pure Acid does not let you route Midi from within the AU, so Cubasis has trouble sending the Midi from Pure Acid to other tracks, or even moving the midi from the PA sequencer to the Cubasis sequencer.
    I was just looking at a thread about that combo.

• I came to the forum tonight to search for playbeat to find out why it doesn’t show up in AUM’s sources in the MIDI routing. The explanation about Cubasis is all good, but the way it’s set up now, none of the AU MIDI destinations show up in Playbeat’s internal routing. As far as I can tell, when you choose AUM as the destination from inside Playbeat, you have to use ‘AUM’ Destination to get the MIDI to a synth. That makes additional work if you have something else coming in (like Xequence). You have to revert to using MIDI channel to share ‘AUM’ destination. If you have multiple PlayBeats in the same session (I thought that was one of the benefits of AU), it’s just going to be a lot more to keep track of.

Yes, “non-standard” seems an apt description. As with Riffer (same developer), these little quirks add up. To me at least, it would be easier if it had a “standard” routing. I put standard in quotes because There really ARE no standards, but there sure are “best practices”.

• I think its AUv3 MIDI support is still flawed:

The plug-in does not provide a MIDI source.

The only way to route MIDI into the host is to route it out from Playbeat, which means the host will never be able to save the routing.

• @motmeister said:
    I came to the forum tonight to search for playbeat to find out why it doesn’t show up in AUM’s sources in the MIDI routing. The explanation about Cubasis is all good, but the way it’s set up now, none of the AU MIDI destinations show up in Playbeat’s internal routing. As far as I can tell, when you choose AUM as the destination from inside Playbeat, you have to use ‘AUM’ Destination to get the MIDI to a synth. That makes additional work if you have something else coming in (like Xequence). You have to revert to using MIDI channel to share ‘AUM’ destination. If you have multiple PlayBeats in the same session (I thought that was one of the benefits of AU), it’s just going to be a lot more to keep track of.

Yes, “non-standard” seems an apt description. As with Riffer (same developer), these little quirks add up. To me at least, it would be easier if it had a “standard” routing. I put standard in quotes because There really ARE no standards, but there sure are “best practices”.

If you are running out of Midi channels when using apps that only see the AUM destination, but do not show their own VM port, you could try MidiFlow Adapter. It creates VM ports that the other apps can see and use, so you don’t only have the AUM port as a choice.

In this case, you could send PB to MFA, then in AUM connect MFA to your hosted AU apps.

• @mojozart said:
    I think its AUv3 MIDI support is still flawed:

The plug-in does not provide a MIDI source.

The only way to route MIDI into the host is to route it out from Playbeat, which means the host will never be able to save the routing.

I noticed that the Midi routing gets saved in the AUM preset, so they probably can be saved that way, and get recalled by loading the AUM PB preset with the AUM session.

There are the quick presets in the PB app (the ones you recall with the number strip at the bottom). I think these only save the Pattern settings, but not Midi setups.
    But if you do the AU preset save from the AUM AU window, these presets seem to save the Midi port assignments.

• @CracklePot said:

@motmeister said:
    I came to the forum tonight to search for playbeat to find out why it doesn’t show up in AUM’s sources in the MIDI routing. The explanation about Cubasis is all good, but the way it’s set up now, none of the AU MIDI destinations show up in Playbeat’s internal routing. As far as I can tell, when you choose AUM as the destination from inside Playbeat, you have to use ‘AUM’ Destination to get the MIDI to a synth. That makes additional work if you have something else coming in (like Xequence). You have to revert to using MIDI channel to share ‘AUM’ destination. If you have multiple PlayBeats in the same session (I thought that was one of the benefits of AU), it’s just going to be a lot more to keep track of.

If you are running out of Midi channels when using apps that only see the AUM destination, but do not show their own VM port, you could try MidiFlow Adapter. It creates VM ports that the other apps can see and use, so you don’t only have the AUM port as a choice.

In this case, you could send PB to MFA, then in AUM connect MFA to your hosted AU apps.

Yes, that’s true. MFA has been a staple in the past. Seems fiddly though whenever circumstances require that extra step. And... since MFA is outside of AUM, none of its setup is saved with the AUM project. I’ll play with it.

• edited December 2020

EDIT: Is the AU MIDI issue mentioned here still occurring? Cheers.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Playbeat update today. Does it address the AU MIDI issue mentioned here? Cheers.

I only got a Riffer update 😢

• @CracklePot said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Playbeat update today. Does it address the AU MIDI issue mentioned here? Cheers.

I only got a Riffer update 😢

My Bad, only Riffer updated today. Sorry.

• Can anyone provide a walk through of how to set this up? - cos I ain’t getting it.
    Cheers