Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Observations

Comments

• edited July 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @richardyot @MonzoPro @iansainsbury Agreed! With each of you! With all of it! I am large, I contain multitudes.

I actually suspect that you people are but a modern version of multiple personality disorder, although I don't consider it to be so much of a disease. Just the contradictions of (modern) life. I have always liked the bookends that are made by the thoughts that say the ability to hold entirely contradictory thoughts in a head at the same time are proof of madness or genius :)

I have all sorts of playlists, refracted, sliced, diced, boiled down. Songs By Boys About Girls Who'll Never Now Know (first track: Irene Wilde, Ian Hunter) and so on and so forth, but I am also nostalgic for that particularly lazy feeling when you knew it was the last track and you were already timing your existence to get up in the next few minutes and change the record or just flip it.

And maybe that's another part of all this, while music is my internal friend and life, it was previously something done in groups of me and mine or experienced in groups far more often than it is now (in my existence at least). AND, Doctor, this is all as it should be. The wind chimes of our lives make these different noises, seemingly randomly, as a function of age: That which isn't anymore, that which I shall hold onto until death, that which is gone now and, stoically, I sweetly enjoy the missing.

Carry on :)

I prefer to listen to an album in it’s entirety, as intended by the artist and producer. I do this while I work, and a cherry picked playlist might be too distracting anyway. So the boring bits are perfectly fine.

As for physically owning a copy - I’ve just finished a two hour phone call to BT to discover we’ll be offline for over a week when we move into the new place, so those old man’s CD’s will come in handy! Though connection speed wise, when done, we’ll be going from 7mbps to 150mbps, which means I’ll be able to watch Doug’s vids over 20 times faster than I do currently! ‘Welcome to the thank you for watching’

The groups thing - yeah, I’d buy albums with my mates, probably hear music first at mates houses, and we’d share our tunes at gatherings and parties. I guess now all of that’s via online connections - another real-life experience consigned to a data exchange :(

• Thesis on Vinyl versus Digital (when one is so wasted it’s impossible to even crawl to the kitchen or bathroom to find a blade).

I won’t bore you with the details, only to say a decade of hard, head down study destroyed a septum.

Conclusion: Vinyl cuts opiate tablets infinitely better than a 5 MB download does.

For the record (cue tumbleweed), Plasmatics - Monkey Suit - in yellow and red splatter vinyl came in second. This 45 crumbed but failed to powder. Who cares anyway, staring at it circulating was like tripping on a 100 brew of Liberty caps.

Bottom of the pile, Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart did exactly that. A useless cutter. It was akin to snorting breeze blocks.

This baby hit the turntable first. She cut to mist level. If anybody from Sire Records is reading this, I want mucho commission. New nostrils don’t come cheap. How can any man, woman or stoat not think about sex the way Fay Fife says “let me sit doowun.” Deary me.

:)

• Im with the whole album too.
    I love reviews but only fauny, complete fan no-criticism types which get close to cringy.
    This is a great example.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @MonzoPro It must be said that this is not the England I miss mostly Mister Monzo. I suspect I am (still) too much of a softie southerner etc.

I watched a documentary about him last night, incredible story and very inspiring. Recommend for southern softies (me included) too.

definitely VERY inspiring.. and at the same time very very sad.. so much insane vhs footage!! My partner has just been digging through her old art gallery archives and found letters from him asking when he was going to have an exhibition there?? ( letters she didn’t take very seriously due to having not really heard of him and the child like hand writing!, forgive her, she was young and regrets it now.. )> @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@u0421793 said:
    Incidentally, am I the only one here in the UK that watches TOTP on BBC4 on Friday night and tweets along with everyone else also watching it with the hashtags #TOTP #totp1989 ‬
    ? Two episodes, one at 8pm, the other at 9pm

Sorry to say I have never lived in a geography where BBC4 is a thing....I did attend TOTP once. Most odd.

Come on boss, spill the beans. Who did you see? Tight Fit? Renee & Renata? Toto Coelo? Steve Wright or David ‘Kid’ Jensen?

“ I eat Cannibals! “. ... but not live on TV , obviously

• @MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

What's really great (for me) about this approach is that it's really easy to curate a gigantic music collection. When I ripped my CDs I rated every song, and nowadays I only buy the songs I actually like, not the whole album. Which means I have a massive playlist that only contains great music. No duds, no filler. Just thousands of songs that I have liked over years of listening to many different genres.

The danger there being you might miss good music as your tastes change. Track 4 on that Elton album you never liked, suddenly resonates and has become a new favourite now you’re old and your wife has left you. And you miss out on ‘the journey’ - that carefully created song order the artist and producer painstakingly created to gently ease you from one mood to another - the build up, crescendo and gentle ease back into reality. Rather than one long orgasm of ‘the good bits’.

‘Dark Side of the Moon? Nah, I only like Money so I’ll skip the rest and go straight on to ‘Video Killed the Radio Star’ while checking my Facebook page to see if Barry has got the shelving I asked him about like...oh look, Brenda’s got a new thing...’

Streaming and curated playlists are the death of music, like everything else in this 30 second attention span new world we have now, appropriated by Global Corp inc. Look! Squirrel!

it still makes me wince hard when i hear people, in the same breath, say ‘I love music’ ..then ‘ I’ve just got the top rate spotify subscription’ !!!?? why is everybody so ill educated in the new siren server slave trade that is spotify, youtube, etc etc ? ... this situation has been going on since the year 2000 and it deeply saddens me to see most music makers resigned to it and ‘so called’ music fans buying into it wholesale just for the ‘convenience’ of it. if you don’t value your own music , fair enough, but to devalue everyone else's efforts including those you profess to love AND give money to the streamers that are already making insane money hand over fist from selling YOUR information whilst avoiding paying anything remotely fair to content providers for this vast music/media useage..
    come on ladies!! read at least a tiny bit of Jaron Lanier and get yrselves on the correct side of the battle lines.. Governments and publisher/Collection agencies dropped the ball on protecting us from these billionaires in faux-hippy disguise way back. Fight the effing power people fer chrissakes!!
    Bandcamp is the nearest thing to fair we have in the digital domain , and when that gets bought out .. ?.?.?
    well hopefully I’ll be dead... or at least too old to be aware or tap the magic glass in anything but a random way..
    ‘Spotify’!! jeeez... ‘Racketeerify’ is closer.

• @RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

What's really great (for me) about this approach is that it's really easy to curate a gigantic music collection. When I ripped my CDs I rated every song, and nowadays I only buy the songs I actually like, not the whole album. Which means I have a massive playlist that only contains great music. No duds, no filler. Just thousands of songs that I have liked over years of listening to many different genres.

The danger there being you might miss good music as your tastes change. Track 4 on that Elton album you never liked, suddenly resonates and has become a new favourite now you’re old and your wife has left you. And you miss out on ‘the journey’ - that carefully created song order the artist and producer painstakingly created to gently ease you from one mood to another - the build up, crescendo and gentle ease back into reality. Rather than one long orgasm of ‘the good bits’.

‘Dark Side of the Moon? Nah, I only like Money so I’ll skip the rest and go straight on to ‘Video Killed the Radio Star’ while checking my Facebook page to see if Barry has got the shelving I asked him about like...oh look, Brenda’s got a new thing...’

Streaming and curated playlists are the death of music, like everything else in this 30 second attention span new world we have now, appropriated by Global Corp inc. Look! Squirrel!

it still makes me wince hard when i hear people, in the same breath, say ‘I love music’ ..then ‘ I’ve just got the top rate spotify subscription’ !!!?? why is everybody so ill educated in the new siren server slave trade that is spotify, youtube, etc etc ? ... this situation has been going on since the year 2000 and it deeply saddens me to see most music makers resigned to it and ‘so called’ music fans buying into it wholesale just for the ‘convenience’ of it. if you don’t value your own music , fair enough, but to devalue everyone else's efforts including those you profess to love AND give money to the streamers that are already making insane money hand over fist from selling YOUR information whilst avoiding paying anything remotely fair to content providers for this vast music/media useage..
    come on ladies!! read at least a tiny bit of Jaron Lanier and get yrselves on the correct side of the battle lines.. Governments and publisher/Collection agencies dropped the ball on protecting us from these billionaires in faux-hippy disguise way back. Fight the effing power people fer chrissakes!!
    Bandcamp is the nearest thing to fair we have in the digital domain , and when that gets bought out .. ?.?.?
    well hopefully I’ll be dead... or at least too old to be aware or tap the magic glass in anything but a random way..

Wow, great! Love your vibe! Jaron Lanier! Mondo 2020 Baby! Woohoo! Now lets find a way to package all this energy into some kind of brand/product line and get rich!

• @AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

Wow, great! Love your vibe! Jaron Lanier! Mondo 2020 Baby! Woohoo! Now lets find a way to package all this energy into some kind of brand/product line and get rich!

already did that... well, apart from the ‘get rich’ bit :) .. took me a while to work out why that trajectory went shrimpy limp... mr Lanier only ratified my gut instincts and vague suspicions..
    Mondo in a Condo with Blue Rondo..
    seriously.... ‘who owns the future?’

• @RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

already did that... well, apart from the ‘get rich’ bit :)

The most important part to a child of the 80s!

.. took me a while to work out why that trajectory went shrimpy limp... mr Lanier only ratified my gut instincts and vague suspicions..

Social movements and all that are fun fashion trends. Who owns the future? The clock makers I guess.

• @AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

.. took me a while to work out why that trajectory went shrimpy limp... mr Lanier only ratified my gut instincts and vague suspicions..

Social movements and all that are fun fashion trends. Who owns the future? The clock makers I guess.

nope.. the crematorium gas supply company I suspect.

• @RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

Goddam, I preferred your inner techno hippy.

• @AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

and I your giant cellular phone wielding managerial pep talk :)

• @RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

Fantastic! I think we got our hook!

• @AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@AudioGus said:

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

Fantastic! I think we got our hook!

i’ll be the one with his trousers down trying to refill the office water cooler, have the contract on my d##k before the market gets ‘adjusted’

• @RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

Everything will be owned by Gooble eventually, even me.

Only looked at Spotify once when it came out. As soon as it started with all the ‘we’ll think you’ll like this’ I legged it. Don’t tell me what to listen to, or what I like. How dare you!

I’ve never paid, or really used a streaming music thing. Aside from browsing YouTube when I’m drunk. And considering I’ve spent the last week packing endless boxes with tapes, CD’s, records and DVD’s, I doubt I ever will!!

• @RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @MonzoPro It must be said that this is not the England I miss mostly Mister Monzo. I suspect I am (still) too much of a softie southerner etc.

I watched a documentary about him last night, incredible story and very inspiring. Recommend for southern softies (me included) too.

definitely VERY inspiring.. and at the same time very very sad.. so much insane vhs footage!! My partner has just been digging through her old art gallery archives and found letters from him asking when he was going to have an exhibition there?? ( letters she didn’t take very seriously due to having not really heard of him and the child like hand writing!, forgive her, she was young and regrets it now.. )

I’ve no idea what this is referring to, I think you deliberately pick old comments and strip out the original reference to catch me out, but I totally agree, obviously.

• @MonzoPro said:

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

definitely VERY inspiring.. and at the same time very very sad.. so much insane vhs footage!! My partner has just been digging through her old art gallery archives and found letters from him asking when he was going to have an exhibition there?? ( letters she didn’t take very seriously due to having not really heard of him and the child like hand writing!, forgive her, she was young and regrets it now.. )

I’ve no idea what this is referring to, I think you deliberately pick old comments and strip out the original reference to catch me out, but I totally agree, obviously.

yes, yr Toto Ceolo reply was more recent but i think the tailback of that thread was referring to a Mr Frank Sidebottom!
    here’s another Sidebottom find from endless boxes of art tat.. this time a free ticket he sent her to a gig .. ignored, never used nor passed on to someone more discerning!! honestly i despair with this woman..

• edited July 2020

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@RockySmalls said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

yes, yr Toto Ceolo reply was more recent but i think the tailback of that thread was referring to a Mr Frank Sidebottom!
    here’s another Sidebottom find from endless boxes of art tat.. this time a free ticket he sent her to a gig .. ignored, never used nor passed on to someone more discerning!! honestly i despair with this woman..

Ah yeah, I remember now. I used to be a bit scared of him, but the documentary demystified his thing a bit. I don’t think I’d watch it again - bit too close to home and I might start wearing a giant head too.

£5? I didn’t have that sort of money in 1996, so I’d have put it away in as box as well.

• TOTP 1989 on Friday night over the past few months was pretty dire, Jive Bunny being at the top interminably, then Ride On Time, but finally last week we saw the first of the Madchester ones, and now a corner has been turned and it all starts to make sense again. #TOTP and #totp1989 on twitter on Friday nights if anyone wants to join in.

• This is going to be such a huge hit this summer:

Malibu - Kim Petras (At Home Edition)

• @AudioGus said:

Completely saddened my Friday night :)

• Monday morning history lesson: New York Fucking City.

• edited July 2020

• edited July 2020

Shit. Piss. Fuck.

Maxwell Perkins was the legendary editor of many fine writers at Scribner's before and after the Second World War. Amongst his charges were three very famous dead, white men: Fitzgerald, Hemingway and, most notably (in terms of the editing involved and the depth of their relationship) Thomas Wolfe.

Perkins, as well as a talented and generous editor, was also known to be a somewhat fastidious man, especially so when it came to the use of polite language. This plays a part in the following story:

While working with a well-known writer on a particular chapter he had trouble explaining why Scribner's just couldn't publish a book that contained so much graphic language.

The author, of course, argued that it was ridiculous he couldn't describe the actions of his protagonists in the language that they themselves used on a daily basis. This argument continued.

Finally, a meeting was arranged for the following day when these matters would be confronted and, in his organized way, Perkins made brief notes on his desk calendar of what needed to be addressed.

Under the 'To Do Today' column he listed:

Shit.
    Piss.
    Fuck.

Thereafter, his longtime secretary, Ms. Irma Wycoff, came into his office, saw this note, and worrying that work was finally taking its toll on Mr. Perkins, went at once to speak to Mr. Scribner....

Maxwell Evart Perkins was the rare kind of editor that almost all writers would wish to have on (and by) their side. So much so that Fitzgerald commented to Wolfe that he was their 'common parent'.

His description of first hearing about Wolfe, tells much about his relationship with authors:

"The first time I heard of Thomas Wolfe I had a sense of foreboding. I who love the man say this. Every good thing that comes is accompanied by trouble. It was in 1928 when Madeleine Boyd, a literary agent, came in. She talked of several manuscripts which did not much interest me, but frequently interrupted herself to tell of a wonderful novel about an American boy. I several times said to her, 'Why don't you bring it in here, Madeleine?' and she seemed to evade the question. But finally she said, 'I will bring it, if you promise to read every word of it.' I did promise, but she told me other things that made me realize that Wolfe was a turbulent spirit, and that we were in for turbulence."

If you don't know of him, you surely know a number of the books that he edited and championed, often written by writers who, at the time, were nothing like as well known as they are now. Amongst many others he edited:

F. Scott Fitzgerald
    This Side of Paradise (1920)
    The Beautiful and Damned (1922)
    The Great Gatsby (1925)
    Tender is the Night (1934)

Ring Lardner
    How to Write Short Stories (With Samples) (1924)

Ernest Hemingway
    The Torrents of Spring(1926)
    The Sun Also Rises (1926)
    A Farewell to Arms (1930)
    Death in the Afternoon (1932)
    To Have and Have Not (1937)
    For Whom the Bell Tolls (1940)

Thomas Wolfe
    Look Homeward, Angel (1929)
    Of Time and the River (1935)

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
    The Yearling (1938)

James Jones
    From Here to Eternity (1947)

The only biography I've found on Perkins is A. Scott Berg's Editor of Genius, which was published in 1978. I wouldn't rate it any higher than competent, but the subject matter is so good that it's well worth reading.

• Story of my life, right there.

• This Petridis piece is rather lightweight, but I think I may buy the book it's helping to pimp:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/29/don-black-songwriter-lyricist-interview-michael-jackson-john-barry

• Sadly I found Homegrown to be a disappointment. And I say this as the treasurer of the East Kent Neil Young Appreciation Society.