Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Things iOS lacks

Although iOS music production is far from being in its infancy, there's definitely areas that remain unaccounted for. I'm curious to know what one thing people feel is still missing from their own iOS setup.

For me personally it's something like Madrona Labs' Virta:

https://madronalabs.com/products/virta

An AUv3 effects lab that processes things in what I can only describe as a kind of Buchla-ish way. The closest I've got to this is using iVCS as a sample processor, which gives some fantastic results, but isn't quite what I'm after. Obviously, an ideal outcome of this post would be somebody saying "ah, but X does this!" (not just for my identified area of lack, of course, but for everyone's). Anyway, have it: what is missing for you?

Comments

• It’s missing a decent DAW that can record AU MIDI, AU automation, and do pitch automation.

• I arrived at the conclusion that a modular approach to DAWs is the way to go on iOS. I'm using Xequence 2 with AUM and it covers my needs so far. I've recorded MIDI input with it and I know it does automation but I've not actually played with that yet.

• edited July 2020

Aha! post :)

I think a combination of Drambo and/or Moebius Lab can get you pretty close to Virta. Drambo has the synthesis modules you’d need like envelope followers and transient detectors. It’s also got high resolution modulation capabilities such as fm, sync, ring modulation etc. it’s also got the open ended modular routing architecture that you need to create exactly what’s in your head. What it lacks however is FFT and spectral analysis tools. That’s where Moebius Lab comes in. Moebius can actually host something like 10 AUv3s, and allows you to change their routing order.. Drambo within ML! So you can use the spectral modules native to Moebius in conjunction with the immense flexibility of Drambo. If that can’t get you close... we’ll CsSpectral would be another great, albeit less flexible and antiquated option.

edit: oh yeah, you’d also be able to host interesting physical modeling fx like Cusnp, Objeq, or springs reverbs from miRack in Moebius Lab. That might get you closer to the west coast vibe I think you’re aiming for.

• Ah, that sounds amazing! I had no idea ML could also host AUv3s - that's pretty astounding. In retrospect I probably should have been looking towards Apesoft/Amazing Noises from the outset - them or Igor Vasiliev. Maybe this will also be the catalyst I needed to finally engage with Drambo too. Thank you!

• edited July 2020

Nothing because drambo has arrived. The eternal bliss and sublime generator of sound

• Right.

Welcome to: "Nothing - I have Max/MSP, Reaktor, PureData" (iOS version).

• Knobs, faders, buttons.... 🙃

• Ableton Live!!!

• it’s missing a way of writing audio to picture. I write music for commercials. and being able to have a picture sync with audio would be a huge thing on ios

I’m looking at you AUM. just a video file player that sync to other aum channels would be awesome

• edited July 2020

One thing that iOS lacks at the moment is the ability to record audio in stereo using the iPhone’s built in mics. The strange thing is that stereo audio recording is supported when shooting a video or screen recording but there is no way to record in stereo when using audio apps unless using an external mic.

My LG V30 has the ability to record in stereo using the built in mics and the result is amazing. However, I read that the forthcoming iOS 14 will support stereo audio using the built in iPhone mics.

• @eross said:
    it’s missing a way of writing audio to picture. I write music for commercials. and being able to have a picture sync with audio would be a huge thing on ios

I’m looking at you AUM. just a video file player that sync to other aum channels would be awesome

I recall doing this in Auria years ago.

• @AudioGus said:

@eross said:
    it’s missing a way of writing audio to picture. I write music for commercials. and being able to have a picture sync with audio would be a huge thing on ios

I did that to, but it was very buggy when the video would playback, it would either freeze or crash 80% of the time. so I quit using it. hopefully somebody is working on something similar

• @eross said:

@AudioGus said:

@eross said:

>

I did that to, but it was very buggy when the video would playback, it would either freeze or crash 80% of the time. so I quit using it. hopefully somebody is working on something similar

Was it recent? Could be better now.

• @david_2017 said:
    Nothing because drambo has arrived. The eternal bliss and sublime generator of sound

Yep. There is nothing else I will ever need now

• Welcome @PeteSasqwax ! ✌️

• @jolico said:
    Ableton Live!!!

Honestly, with Xequence 2 doing the sequencing, AUM handling audio & MIDI mixing/management and the range of AUv3 devices at my disposal I'm struggling to see much in Ableton that I can't do in iOS.

• @jolico said:
    Ableton Live!!!

Would love to see an iOS version of it, particularly if it has strong integration with desktop versions.

• @PeteSasqwax said:

@jolico said:
    Ableton Live!!!

Honestly, with Xequence 2 doing the sequencing, AUM handling audio & MIDI mixing/management and the range of AUv3 devices at my disposal I'm struggling to see much in Ableton that I can't do in iOS.

I would love to use my favorite AuV3s in Ableton.

I wish AUM had a midi/audio timeline like Ableton with warp sync and groove matching etc.

Also, I really like using “Simpler” as a synth.

• Definitely a stable and full featured DAW. Yes, there are DAW’s and they’re OK, but every single one is missing basic “features” or is unstable in one way or another. But to get a truly pro-level DAW will require paying pro-level prices. I think we’re pretty much getting what we’re paying for in iOS DAWs current. You can’t expect a $50 app to have the kind of support you get from a $500 one.

I also think we need a better way of syncing tempo based apps (and hardware) with the outside world. Support for sample accurate clocking like Innerclock, E-RM, SND, etc. USB has always been notoriously bad for clocking.

iOS does instruments and synths really well. Of course, Drambo plugged a lot of holes for me too. As well as miRack and AUM.

• @jolico said:

@PeteSasqwax said:

@jolico said:
    Ableton Live!!!

>

I wish AUM had a midi/audio timeline like Ableton with warp sync and groove matching etc.

We have apps for this.

• edited July 2020

@Apex said:
    Definitely a stable and full featured DAW. Yes, there are DAW’s and they’re OK, but every single one is missing basic “features” or is unstable in one way or another. But to get a truly pro-level DAW will require paying pro-level prices. I think we’re pretty much getting what we’re paying for in iOS DAWs current. You can’t expect a $50 app to have the kind of support you get from a $500 one.

Maybe now with the new multithreading audio API thingy majingy one will come out some day. Sounds like it would have been a waste of time to try and develop one before now...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/39759/most-important-news-from-wwdc-audio-apps-can-now-run-multiple-audio-threads#latest

• @noob said:

@jolico said:

@PeteSasqwax said:

@jolico said:
    Ableton Live!!!

>

We have apps for this.

We do? Which ones?

• @jolico said:

We don’t yet have a Simpler like sample player that uses the complex or complex pro mode of warping. CPU power isn’t quite there yet apparently. This lets you play short melodic rhythmic phrases and play them on a keyboard and have them all stay in time. I thought sEGments would do this but the dev said it was too much for the CPU.

• A real file system. That’s the thing that made me go back to my mac for most things.

But I did just buy drambo the other day finally, and I am at a loss of what to do with it! I think that’s going to be my vacation project. I know it’s cool and I look forward to figuring it out.

• @Apex said:
    Definitely a stable and full featured DAW. Yes, there are DAW’s and they’re OK, but every single one is missing basic “features” or is unstable in one way or another. But to get a truly pro-level DAW will require paying pro-level prices. I think we’re pretty much getting what we’re paying for in iOS DAWs current. You can’t expect a $50 app to have the kind of support you get from a $500 one.

I also think we need a better way of syncing tempo based apps (and hardware) with the outside world. Support for sample accurate clocking like Innerclock, E-RM, SND, etc. USB has always been notoriously bad for clocking.

iOS does instruments and synths really well. Of course, Drambo plugged a lot of holes for me too. As well as miRack and AUM.

I don’t understand what’s holding developers back from releasing their desktop daws onto iOS and charging similar (if not slightly cheaper) prices. I feel like there’s def now a market for it and I would gladly pay. The iPad is claimed (accurately) to be more powerful then most computers, so it should be more than capable. And why the F is Apple not promoting and encouraging developers to do this?? If they want us to be;I’ve the iPad is a true computer replacement, this would be a giant leap forward in validating that claim.

• Careful what you wish for, though. If the new ecosystem allows crossover for Macs to use iOS apps I'd expect the pricing to move closer to desktop levels than the other way around.

• @Polar said:

@Apex said:

I don’t understand what’s holding developers back from releasing their desktop daws onto iOS and charging similar (if not slightly cheaper) prices. I feel like there’s def now a market for it and I would gladly pay. The iPad is claimed (accurately) to be more powerful then most computers, so it should be more than capable. And why the F is Apple not promoting and encouraging developers to do this?? If they want us to be;I’ve the iPad is a true computer replacement, this would be a giant leap forward in validating that claim.

Its most definitely powerful enough. I was running Ableton on a janky G4 desktop at one point way back when. The ipad is such an inherently intuitive device that lends itself really well to music production. Bitwig already has a “touch enabled” version that runs on Surface. Seems like the perfect candidate for the ipad (although I’m not really down with a subscription model).

• Sooner or later Logic in one form or another will drop for the iPad.
    Developers need a fully featured host to test their plug-ins on and iLogic could provide that.

I've tried most DAWs & Hosts that are available on iOS and every single one of them has one or more 'issue' that gets on my nerves sooner or later.

A simple task as rendering a loop without glitches seems to be an impossible task for most hosts when a plug-ins need a bit of latency compensation which most limiters introduce. Even the Cubasis built-in Waves stuff won't render without glitches, there's always a small gap at the beginning of the audio file so even if the loop or section is fully rendered it's 'shifted' in time so parts of it get cut off. Same deal with ZenBeats. BM3 does pretty good job at doing synced recording which is the easiest way to render good loops...

Either I'm way too picky or the Q&A is lacking big time and it's driving me nuts!

I love the iPad but it's working a lot better as a sound module & remote for Logic than a stand-alone device...

• @DukeWonder said:
    It’s missing a decent DAW that can record AU MIDI, AU automation, and do pitch automation.

+1