Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - July 2020

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine

Comments

• My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

So here we are, at a dead end
    Too much to lose so we pretend
    And all those times we used to share
    Just hanging out without a care
    They’re gone, They’re gone away
    You and I have lost our way

And where it’s from, I just don’t know
    But here we are, so let it go
    It’s you it’s me, there's nothing left to feel
    It’s you it’s me, but we can’t face it honestly

And with our lives so tangled up
    It's just so hard to make the cut
    So here we stay, until the end
    Neither lover nor a friend
    It’s gone, we're gone away
    You and I have lost our way

And where it’s from, I just don’t know
    But here we are, so let it go
    It’s you it’s me, there's nothing left to feel
    It’s you it’s me, but we can’t face it honestly

• edited July 2020

@richardyot A beautiful and moving (touching?) love-away song. The reversed guitars psychedelic chorus (or instruments?) are top. Catching melody, a very good pop song, I like it a lot even if what it tells is sad.
    btw how do you make the spoiler thing in this forum?

• @Kitusai said:
    @richardyot A beautiful and moving (touching?) love-away song. The reversed guitars psychedelic chorus (or instruments?) are top. Catching melody, a very good pop song, I like it a lot even if what it tells is sad.
    btw how do you make the spoiler thing in this forum?

Thank you 🙏

To do the spoiler thing you can either use the formatting (it might not work on the phone though), like this:

Or you can do it manually by adding this symbol at the start of each line in that section: >!

• edited July 2020

Thank you!

• @Kitusai said:

Thank you!

👍

• Here’s another attempt to pull something interesting out of Launchpad.

I assume that if I mess around with it enough times, I’ll eventually produce something good. Similar to an infinite number of monkeys at their typewriters eventually typing out the full text of Hamlet.

• @DavidEnglish said:
    Here’s another attempt to pull something interesting out of Launchpad.

I assume that if I mess around with it enough times, I’ll eventually produce something good. Similar to an infinite number of monkeys at their typewriters eventually typing out the full text of Hamlet.

Very cool, reminds me Sade’s atmospheres.

• @DavidEnglish said:

That's a nice juxtaposition of samples there, the bass gives it some groove and the samples that weave in and out create the textures. There's some interesting moods going on. It could maybe do with a little variation in the dynamics to really get it moving.

• Visual creation Patrick Guillot, music with Guska.

https://youtu.be/VD3JNP0YnVI

• @richardyot I like that you cleaned up the vocals a bit at parts. It feels a bit more organic. Quality stuff as always. It’s also a bit more...commercial I guess is the best word I can think of. It’s a bit closer to something you might hear on the radio.

@DavidEnglish That rhythm is really nice. I can definitely hear an improvement month-over-month. I’d say you’re getting the hang of it for sure.

@Kitusai Interesting. Really rides that line between being too abstract and being recognizable. I like that you’re able to keep some melody and rhythmic structure while also being kind of free-form.

• This is the quickest I’ve finished a beat. Completed the composition yesterday, mixed it today. It’s intentionally repetitive. Wanted to get a sort of spooky, hypnotic thing going.

This is the first thing I’ve completed with BLEASS Alpha. It is the lead and the growly pad. Bass 808 for the bass, and EG Pulse for the drums. As usual, created in CB3, mixed in AUM with ToneBoosters stuff.

This is the second project I’ve finished on my iPad Pro.

• @Kitusai said:
    Visual creation Patrick Guillot, music with Guska.

https://youtu.be/VD3JNP0YnVI

Very avant-guarde. There is structure and a repeated theme (both rhythmic and melodic) but the feeling is quite unsettling. There is such a strong disconnect between the rhythmic and melodic elements and I think this is what throws everything off-kilter (and I assume this is by design of course).

The visuals are nice, and suitably abstract to suit the music.

• @DukeWonder said:
    This is the quickest I’ve finished a beat. Completed the composition yesterday, mixed it today. It’s intentionally repetitive. Wanted to get a sort of spooky, hypnotic thing going.

This is the first thing I’ve completed with BLEASS Alpha. It is the lead and the growly pad. Bass 808 for the bass, and EG Pulse for the drums. As usual, created in CB3, mixed in AUM with ToneBoosters stuff.

It's simple but very effective. The melody is very hooky and the beat grooves. I really like the way that the spaces in the melody interact with the drums, the gaps are filled by the beat in a really cool way, and the final note of the melody falls just after the 4th beat which propels the whole thing forward.

• @richardyot said:

@DukeWonder said:
    This is the quickest I’ve finished a beat. Completed the composition yesterday, mixed it today. It’s intentionally repetitive. Wanted to get a sort of spooky, hypnotic thing going.

It's simple but very effective. The melody is very hooky and the beat grooves. I really like the way that the spaces in the melody interact with the drums, the gaps are filled by the beat in a really cool way, and the final note of the melody falls just after the 4th beat which propels the whole thing forward.

Thank you. If you can believe it, this was all made with presets.

• First song of the month club entry...this was made with a mixture of samples and synths in Bm3 and would love some feedback (good or bad) so I can get a sense of whether I’m heading in the right direction with my music

• @Polar said:
    First song of the month club entry...this was made with a mixture of samples and synths in Bm3 and would love some feedback (good or bad) so I can get a sense of whether I’m heading in the right direction with my music

It's got a pretty strong St Germain vibe, and there's some nice loops in there. The vibe is nicely laid-back so it would make a great Sunday morning soundtrack. It might be a tad too long and I think also the beat could be more varied, it gets a bit monotonous by the end. The horn samples are really great, they are definitely the highlight of the track for me.

• First, my thoughts.

@richardyot I really like this track. For some reason it reminds me of a crossover between 60s and 80s rock, but very mellow. The lyrics are beautiful and somber. Any breakup song worth a damn is. Excellent writing.

@DavidEnglish I really love the chill vibe of this track. It reminds me of the early pre-Skrillex days of Dubstep back when Dubstep was chill and not so in-your-face. Great work.

@Kitusai There's something quite ethereal about the track. Very experimental but coherent. I also love the glitchiness of the track and how the beat is mostly steady but becomes unstable. Keep it up. :)

@DukeWonder I love how dark and forboding this track sounds, at least to my ears. For some reason, despite how mellow it is, it also has a sense of tension to it. Hope to hear more like this from you mate.

@Polar Oh shit yeah! At first, I was like "6 minutes?" Then before I knew it, 6 minutes passed. See, I'm a sucker for Triphop. Ever heard of Thievery Corporation before? I don't know, but for some reason your track reminds me of their sound. Keep this vibe going mate.

Second, my entry for SotM. If you heard my previous songs from June, you know I went into some pretty emotional places with one song being about missing my late dad and the other being a song for a friend going through bad depression. So I decided this time to create something fun, Summery, light and cheesy.

In order to prevent clutter, I go into detail of what I used to produce it here.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/39951/summertime-love-song#latest

Cheers mates. :) Keep the entries coming.

• @DavidEnglish said:

Just as an aside to the lovely music it takes almost a mathematical infinity for the monkeys to write Hamlet or any other such verse.

• @audiblevideo said:

@DavidEnglish said:
    I’ll eventually produce something good. Similar to an infinite number of monkeys at their typewriters eventually typing out the full text of Hamlet.

Just as an aside to the lovely music it takes almost a mathematical infinity for the monkeys to write Hamlet or any other such verse.

Thanks for the correction. It's the time rather than the monkeys that should be infinite. An infinite number of monkeys would have Hamlet done in an instant.

• @richardyot thanks for the feedback, you def validated my own concerns about the track...as far as yours goes I really dug it—it has a David Bowie vibe for sure which is nice to hear in this day an age of electronic and hip hop over saturating the market. Nice and organic without being overly raw

• @richardyot

"We can't face it honestly" - What a lovely song. I like the flow and the old-school feel of this. Kind of a Bryan Ferry vibe going on with your singing, too. I especially like the chorus. The guitar solo made for a really good break. Top notch! I would have loved some more of your vocal harmonising.

@DavidEnglish

"Tipping Point" - I have to say, this sounds and feels a lot more like a complete piece and it is sounded interesting all the way through. I would have loved to hear some more variations. However, this is just superb - especially since it is entirely from Launchpad and I'm scared to press buttons on that thing because I am not ready for real-time. Good job!

@Kitusai

"Forgotten story retold" - The organic and the experimental nature of this makes me very curious. The visuals must accompany this I think as it then gives some order to the organic nature of the piece. I really enjoyed this one.

@DukeWonder

"Shut" - With just the 4 and 5 chord of Cm (if am not wrong?) you have created a captivating and tension-filled mood here with this piece. The drums, for me, gives this piece that sense that there is something still right in all the tension. A misty but not entirely dark realm was conjured and that was great! Good stuff!

@Polar said

"In Retrospect" - If this track had parents they would be called Zero 7 and Groove Armada. Lovely feel to it. I really dig the horns section and I feel it could been developed a little bit more and with the texture of the backing and drums taking on some new forms as the track proceeded. I say, this is a great start and you're on the right track!

@jwmmakerofmusic

"More than you know" - Very lively and happy track that one could move to on the dance floor! I like that clarinet (or is it something else?) that comes in during breaks. I really like the idea of it being multilingual as well; makes it more interesting. It's a cool track!

Thank you everyone for sharing your lovely music. :)

• edited July 2020

@jwmmakerofmusic thanks man appreciate it. it’s interesting how u felt about the length—that’s how I felt while making it. Didn’t seem like 6 min while making but then i looked at the time and was like o shit, haha
    Your track is def fun and light...really liked the vocals and the auto tune was just subtle enough to create an effect without being overbearing 👏🏼👏🏼
    (Also thanks for the thievery corporation tip...have not heard of them before but after a quick listen they sound awesome and def capture that sound I like to go for)
    Looking forward to hearing more tracks from u

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Second, my entry for SotM. If you heard my previous songs from June, you know I went into some pretty emotional places with one song being about missing my late dad and the other being a song for a friend going through bad depression. So I decided this time to create something fun, Summery, light and cheesy.

In order to prevent clutter, I go into detail of what I used to produce it here.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/39951/summertime-love-song#latest

Cheers mates. :) Keep the entries coming.

Excellent! It's great to hear some vocals and I love that upbeat sunny vibe ☀

The vocal melody is great and grooves along nicely with the track. Good arrangement, solid production, and great vibes all around. The horns are definitely one of the highlights 🎺

• @spyrogaia Thanks very much for the listen and the feedback 😎

• @spyrogaia said:
    "More than you know" - Very lively and happy track that one could move to on the dance floor! I like that clarinet (or is it something else?) that comes in during breaks. I really like the idea of it being multilingual as well; makes it more interesting. It's a cool track!

Thank you so much. :D It's actually Obsidian's "SaxFull" patch. :D Believe it or not, I got stuck on the second verse, and then I thought, "What if I write some of this into Spanish?" And then I got English and Spanish rhyming together. Then I was like, "And let's sing the chorus in Spanish too." Cheers.

@Polar said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic thanks man appreciate it. it’s interesting how u felt about the length—that’s how I felt while making it. Didn’t seem like 6 min while making but then i looked at the time and was like o shit, haha

LOL! If it were any shorter, then the vibe would be ruined in my opinion. It's the perfect length.

Your track is def fun and light...really liked the vocals and the auto tune was just subtle enough to create an effect without being overbearing 👏🏼👏🏼

Thank you. I started using the autotune effect when I recorded "Since You Left" (the track about missing my late father) because, no matter how perfect I sang it, I couldn't stop my voice from waivering when tearing up. "More Than You Know" in comparison was easy to record, and I figured, "Why stop with the autotune now?" I did it with Multitrack Studio's Vocal Tuner, and I made sure not to tune the parts where the voice slides from one pitch to the next. (Pure autotune flattens the pitch sliding, which makes it sound robotic rather than somewhat natural.)

(Also thanks for the thievery corporation tip...have not heard of them before but after a quick listen they sound awesome and def capture that sound I like to go for)

I can't believe you neve heard of Thievery Corporation before. 😱 I thought for sure you've heard of them given I thought you used them as an influence in your track. Again, I love your track mate.

Looking forward to hearing more tracks from u

Thank you. :) I look forward to hearing more from you too. Cheers.

@richardyot said:
    Excellent! It's great to hear some vocals and I love that upbeat sunny vibe ☀

The vocal melody is great and grooves along nicely with the track. Good arrangement, solid production, and great vibes all around. The horns are definitely one of the highlights 🎺

Thank you so much mate. :D Cheers.

• Hello all!

Here's my entry for the SOTM July 2020. It was composed entirely on Gadget (as usual) using the Gladstone, Madrid, Montreal, Salzburg, Berlin and Darwin gadgets. No mixing or mastering. This track continues from another track ("Undivided") but I have sliced it off to present here. Your thoughts are most welcome. :smile:

• @spyrogaia said:
    Hello all!

Here's my entry for the SOTM July 2020. It was composed entirely on Gadget (as usual) using the Gladstone, Madrid, Montreal, Salzburg, Berlin and Darwin gadgets. No mixing or mastering. This track continues from another track ("Undivided") but I have sliced it off to present here. Your thoughts are most welcome. :smile:

That’s a beautiful and lyrical instrumental. Lots of great melodies that take us on a journey, and great interplay between the harmonic and melodic parts. Lush sounds, really evocative.

Solid arrangement with a well-thought out flow, and the way the instruments weave in and out makes it feel as if they’re talking to each other.

The thing I like best of all though is the melodic variation, it’s thematically coherent but never repetitive, that's a very hard thing to pull off IMO.

• @DukeWonder the lancinant melody and hypnotic circle is successful. Maybe too much bass sounds in my headphones?

@Polar Very equilibrated sounds, very well produced. Successful atmosphere music (« musique pour ascenseur » in a good way)

@jwmmakerofmusic Excellent! Joyful, a big smile and it’s impossible not to dance while listening! A hit! Bravo !

@spyrogaia Beautiful romantic music. Like a walk in souvenirs on a rainy day.

• @richardyot

Thank you so very much for your kind words. I feel honoured and humbled. (Lost for words). :blush:

@Kitusai Thank you for you lovely comment. :smile:

• @spyrogaia said:
    Hello all!

That is f-cking beautiful! I forgot how awesome and versatile Gadget is given I don't get on well with its Gadget 2 GUI redesign (to me, it's pretty ugly and hard on the eyes), but this track proves Gadget is still an amazing app. Is this from an album you're releasing or have released already? Is it on Spotify?

@Kitusai said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic Excellent! Joyful, a big smile and it’s impossible not to dance while listening! A hit! Bravo !

Thank you so much. ^_^ I appreciate it.