Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StepPolyArp good for Drums?

Do you use SPA also for programming drums? Don‘t have bought it yet...

Comments

• Have you tried the (now free) iSpark yet?

• I have, and yes, it works really well. It has almost all the right ingredients: easy to change the sequence length of each hit individually makes for some amazing rhythms. It has individual step divide (with velocity curve), probability per step, velocity, four configurable step-wise cc parameters, midi-out channel per track . It has pattern switching manually or chained with 1-8 repeats per pattern.

In short ... people probably don't think of using it as a drum sequencer very often, but it has as many useful features for drums as just about any great drum sequencer.

However ... I've read lots about timing issues, and missed beats at the beginning of sequences. That could be a deal breaker - I don't know. I haven't used it heavily, so I can't say.

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

Oh ... forgot one major shortcoming. :|
    Velocity and cc's are per step, not per track.

[edit ... and the notes for drums are a bit of bitch to set with the slider. Fortunately you won't need to do that often though if you save presets.]

• @wim said:

[edit ... and the notes for drums are a bit of bitch to set with the slider. Fortunately you won't need to do that often though if you save presets.]

Vel per step - even better!!, i only use a handful of drums, mainly the Classic Machines from Cubasis, so i think can live with presets...

• digikeys

• @Pummelfee said:

@wim said:

Vel per step - even better!!, i only use a handful of drums, mainly the Classic Machines from Cubasis, so i think can live with presets...

Just to clarify, if you have a snare and kick on the same step, velocity affects them both.

• @wim said:

@Pummelfee said:

@wim said:

Just to clarify, if you have a snare and kick on the same step, velocity affects them both.

Right and a deal breaker, have to look further (anyway SPA is good for all other instruments ;-)) .

• @rs2000 said:
    Have you tried the (now free) iSpark yet?

Free? When i searched, it shows it at $19.99 USD...

• @motmeister said:

@rs2000 said:
    Have you tried the (now free) iSpark yet?

Free? When i searched, it shows it at $19.99 USD...

Ahhh sorry, one day too late 😳

• I tried StepPolyArp with Drums and it’s not only the fact that velocity etc can only be applied to a whole step. The lines can‘t be renamed to show what drumsound it triggers.
    Anyway it‘s not totally useless but i have to look further..

• Was playing with this and found a solution for per instrument velocity randomisation. Per one of the posts above create drum pattern in SPA with each instrument lane sent to different midi channel > setup a midi tools curve instance for each midi channel that SPA is sending data to, and use curve’s velocity randomise within reasonable parameters > each curve instance is then configured to forward the velocity-altered midi to dedicated beathawks instances, each with the acoustic drum kit loaded. You end up with individual drum instrument processing (spa), individual randomised velocities (midi tools curve) and the realism benefits of multi layer samples (beathawk)

This is probably an overly complex method compared to more convenient options like Digistix2 etc but thought I’d share in any case. That said, you only need to set it up once in aum, save the session and then import tracks from that session into later projects.