Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ambient reverb shoot out

Here’s a brief demo of 16 reverbs on a synth pluck in Drambo. Which reverb is your favorite for ambient?

Comments

• edited June 2020

Alteza for washy ambient music and I use Kleverb and Blackhole for everything else. But after hearing it, i might have to give Atmosphere Cloud a chance, it sounded really nice. Pro R sounded excellent too but not good enough to justify the price tag. Alteza, for my style of music and for its overall stability is my favorite reverb on ios ever.

• @Bill_Brasky said:
    Alteza for washy ambient music and I use Kleverb and Blackhole for everything else. But after hearing it, i might have to give Atmosphere Cloud a chance, it sounded really nice. Pro R sounded excellent too but not good enough to justify the price tag. Alteza, for my style of music and for its overall stability is my favorite reverb on ios ever.

You can find a lot of great reverb in mirack.

• Valley Audio Plateau in miRack is great, but usually just use Blackhole all over. Alteza is limited doses for super ambience.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@Bill_Brasky said:

I don’t have mirack but I’ll probably end up getting it!

• @auxmux said:
    Valley Audio Plateau in miRack is great, but usually just use Blackhole all over. Alteza is limited doses for super ambience.

I dont use presets in Alteza so what i dial in on it is sublte but yes it can get super extreme (in a good way)

• @Montreal_Music said:

@Bill_Brasky said:

I have mirack but the modular workflow tends to trip me up.

• @ion677 thank you for this video, extremely helpful. My go to reverb has always been Blackhole with a low mix setting. It just works all the time with my Moogs and Prophet without drowning everything in some weird chaotic effect (of all the Crystals presets, maybe one might be actually useful for me)... l I was debating to get Pro-R after having seen your video but went with TB reverb for similar functionality and precise EQing which I really like so far.

• _ki_ki
    edited July 2020

Thanks for the video - i just did a shoot out with simple drums running into all the verbs i’ve installed. And oh boy, that are way too many :)

Atmosphere sounded very nice in my ears, i‘m probably gonna buy it even though i already have 22 reverb options.

@Bill_Brasky When using miRack as external FX , the configuration for the reverb modules is quite simple. In most cases its just Inputs L&R into the Reverb module connected to the Output L&R.

For FX with mono inputs and stereo output like the FreeVerb, i used a mix module to combine L&R input feeding into the reverb module and then an Stereo XFade module to have a dry/wet mixer running into the L&R output.

The dissonant reverb sounded very cool when automating both dissonances, thats why i‘ve added two LFO modules (the ones with rate, offset and scale) for each of them.

• @justice86 said:
    @ion677 thank you for this video, extremely helpful. My go to reverb has always been Blackhole with a low mix setting. It just works all the time with my Moogs and Prophet without drowning everything in some weird chaotic effect (of all the Crystals presets, maybe one might be actually useful for me)... l I was debating to get Pro-R after having seen your video but went with TB reverb for similar functionality and precise EQing which I really like so far.

Tb is the best! Definitely my favorite reverb.

• love em all! alteza ana blackhole get the most play from me

• _ki_ki
    edited July 2020

In my own test it heavily depended on the sound source, which of the reverbs i liked best :)

• Thanks for the screenshot, and pointig out, that there are so many great reverbs in mirack.

@_ki said:
    Thanks for the video - i just did a shoot out with simple drums running into all the verbs i’ve installed. And oh boy, that are way too many :)

Atmosphere sounded very nice in my ears, i‘m probably gonna buy it even though i already have 22 reverb options.

@Bill_Brasky When using miRack as external FX , the configuration for the reverb modules is quite simple. In most cases its just Inputs L&R into the Reverb module connected to the Output L&R.

For FX with mono inputs and stereo output like the FreeVerb, i used a mix module to combine L&R input feeding into the reverb module and then an Stereo XFade module to have a dry/wet mixer running into the L&R output.

The dissonant reverb sounded very cool when automating both dissonances, thats why i‘ve added two LFO modules (the ones with rate, offset and scale) for each of them.

• TB Reverb is great. So flexible, but it always seems to sound great no matter what you do to it.

And for the money - good lord, what a bargain.

• edited July 2020

I’ve stuck with Pro-R for a couple of years now so I’m used to it and it’s my go to. Not a big fan of relying on a complete wash of sound to achieve an ‘ambient’ track, and sick of shimmer reverb period, BUT Alteza is pretty crazy fun to mess around with sometimes, and it’s tempting to let those huge washes do all the work.

As for Blackhole, it’s very good as well, but so easily identifiable and so ubiquitous that I find myself consciously using something else (a poor reason but I can’t help but buck against it)...which is, still, most likely to be the simple, classic Pro-R.

• Thanks @ki. Ill give this a go.

• @_ki said:
    In my own test it heavily depended on the sound source, which of reverbs i liked best :)

Boom, big winner!

• SunVox reverb is very nice.

• _ki_ki
    edited July 2020

@Montreal_Music said:

@_ki said:
    In my own test it heavily depended on the sound source, which of reverbs i liked best :)

Boom, big winner!

I don‘t get your comment - to me (non native speaker) it sounds a bit insulting. Maybe you thought that my post was too general and wanted to exaggerate that fact ?

I tried to setup each of the reverb plugins with a wide, bright ambient reverb type like in the video. And it turned out, that drum loops with lots of low frequent parts can sound muddy or rumbling - even though the same plugin really shines and delivers a wide sound when fed for instance with a brighter plucked guitar sound.

But my one hour test was not representative enough (from the variety of input sounds) to allow a clear judgment. That‘s why i didn‘t want to name-point between different vendors (Like ‚this‘ plugin is generally better than 'that')

In alphabetic order: Atmosphere, Altera, Blackhole, EOS, Impulsation, Mangled Verb, miRack Plateu, Pro-R, ShimmerFX and Thafknar were able to generate really wide open and lush sound-beds like the OP featured in his ‚ambient reverbs’ video - depending on their settings, IR-file and the input source. The 15 other plugins i‘ve tested are also (mostly) sounding nice, but are probably better suited for other types of reverb usage or input material.

• @_ki said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@_ki said:

Boom, big winner!

I don‘t get your comment - to me (non native speaker) it sounds a bit insulting. Maybe you thought that my post was too general and wanted to exaggerate that fact ?

I tried to setup each of the reverb plugins with a wide, bright ambient reverb type like in the video. And it turned out, that drum loops with lots of low frequent parts can sound muddy or rumbling - even though the same plugin really shines and delivers a wide sound when fed for instance with a brighter plucked guitar sound.

But my one hour test was not representative enough (from the variety of input sounds) to allow a clear judgment. That‘s why i didn‘t want to name-point between different vendors (Like ‚this‘ plugin is generally better than 'that')

In alphabetic order: Atmosphere, Altera, Blackhole, EOS, Impulsation, Mangled Verb, miRack Plateu, Pro-R, ShimmerFX and Thafknar were able to generate really wide open and lush sound-beds like the OP featured in his ‚ambient reverbs’ video - depending on their settings, IR-file and the input source. The 15 other plugins i‘ve tested are also (mostly) sounding nice, but are probably better suited for other types of reverb usage or input material.

Hi,

No insulting at all. It was a way to say that the source influence the result as much as the reverb.
    Big winner = good point sir, I think like you and you are the first to mention this important point.

Cheers!

• Thanks for the explanation :)

• Thanks for the reminder about Zero Reverb. Totally forgot about that one, and it sounds great. B)
    Kinda forgot about EoS 2 as well.
    FAC Alteza and miRack/Plateau have been getting most of the attention.
    I have a buying moratorium on reverbs. I have too many already.

• @wim said:
    Thanks for the reminder about Zero Reverb. Totally forgot about that one, and it sounds great. B)
    Kinda forgot about EoS 2 as well.
    FAC Alteza and miRack/Plateau have been getting most of the attention.
    I have a buying moratorium on reverbs. I have too many already.

I think Zero Reverb was possibly the first audio-unit effect, ever. I might be wrong, might just be the first I got.

• Really cool comparison, thanks! It highlights some of the flaws with some of the reverbs (metallic ringing sound, non-smooth shimmer, or shimmer out of tune with the rest)....

FF and Toneboosters reverb are the only two without flaws to my ears....

• Tricky question: my favorite reverb of all time is the Yamaha Symphonic. I had it on an old Yamaha MagicStomp. I think this reverb is also on the Yamaha SPX90. What iOS reverb sounds like the Symphonic? It’s a tough question I know, but let’s see how many geeks are here.

• edited July 2020

Yes, Symphonic is factory preset No 15 of the SPX90, modulation freq and depth being it's only parameters.
    Here's some discussion and lots of sound examples:
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/958648-yamaha-symphonic-effect.html
    I still have an SPX90 in my rack, but iirc Symphonic was a chorus algorithm, not a reverb.

• @ion677 said:

@justice86 said:
    @ion677 thank you for this video, extremely helpful. My go to reverb has always been Blackhole with a low mix setting. It just works all the time with my Moogs and Prophet without drowning everything in some weird chaotic effect (of all the Crystals presets, maybe one might be actually useful for me)... l I was debating to get Pro-R after having seen your video but went with TB reverb for similar functionality and precise EQing which I really like so far.

Just reading about this on the US app store and noticed it's got 20 reviews and every one of them is 5 stars.

• @syrupcore said:

@ion677 said:

@justice86 said:

Just reading about this on the US app store and noticed it's got 20 reviews and every one of them is 5 stars.

Also notice it has a global "No Dry" feature which is key when browsing presets (for me anyway). Wish every reverb app did it like Blackhole though: "Mix Lock".

• Are there any reverb/chorus/delay iOS apps that come close to the quality of Lexicon digital effects processors like the PCM 70 etc?

• @DSCB57 said:
    Are there any reverb/chorus/delay iOS apps that come close to the quality of Lexicon digital effects processors like the PCM 70 etc?

Eos2 is very good to my ears. Some reverb on mirack are top notch. I had a PCM back in the days and for the time it was impressive but for today, we have so many options. Lexicon is not on the top anymore.

• edited July 2020

Today you can buy a Digitech RP360 or a Zoom CDR-70 for less than 200$ and sound like a PCM70 (with more options and effects). Or you can buy an iPad with Eos, ToneStack, FAC Alteza and mirack and have better results.