Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Random Percussion Generator in MiRack

so for the past few weeks, i’ve been trying to work on a random percussion generator patch in mirack. i got the idea after watching a video by andrew huang where he demoed a module called plonk by applied acoustics systems

he has the patch set up to be able to trigger the randomization of plonk and the recording of a sample all by pressing on button.

i’m sure i wont be able to replicate the module completely, but i’d really like to find a good way to randomly synthesize percussion and then randomize a bunch of the parameters to make every percussion sound unique, even if they are more on the glitchy side (which is all ive been able to do)

so this is one of the many patches ive tried creating

basically what ive done is used one or two sample players, used a trigger to play the samples together, randomized the pitch with a turing machine, ran the samples through some effects with an lfo modulating some of the parameters, randomized (kind of) the adsr with the XY pad so it adds some more variation in the sound, then i’d run all of that through a recorder (although i didnt end up setting that up in this patch). this is the rough idea of what i’ve tried to do each time, give or take a few more modules ive tried experimenting with (like the boolean logic module which i dont know how it works or what it does, i just tried adding that into the mix to see what it does). i’m more than open to try some other methods.

ive basically got the trigger and record part down. the actual sound part is where i need help. i’d also like to come up with a way to do everything through synthesis. using samples is cool and all, but i’d really like to try to synthesize the percussion sounds, i’m just not sure where to start with that. any and all suggestions would be very helpful!

thanks!

Comments

• edited June 2020

The Audible Instruments Macro Oscillator has drum voices, if you want synthesised percussion. Also there's the Percussion Synth in the Audible Instruments folder too. Is that the right ballpark?

• @itgetslouder said:
    The Audible Instruments Macro Oscillator has drum voices, if you want synthesised percussion. Also there's the Percussion Synth in the Audible Instruments folder too. Is that the right ballpark?

kind of, yeah, but the only issue is that there’s no way to automatically randomize the waveform in macro oscillator, and you can’t modulate any of the parameters in the percussive synth.

basically what im trying to do is modulate literally everything so all i have to do is press a trigger and it’ll make a new percussion sound each time i press the trigger.

• Awesome work! Would you mind sharing this patch here or on patchstorage?

• edited June 2020

I haven’t tried this but: Isn’t Braids ported to miRack? Put it in meta mode, send random cv into the FM hole to get a different sound on each hit. Run the output into a percussive envelope. This works great in hardware; ymmv in miRack though.

• @auxmux said:
    Awesome work! Would you mind sharing this patch here or on patchstorage?

thank you! it’s not perfect whatsoever but you can get some pretty interesting sounds with it. i’ll get it up on patch storage in a bit! i gotta go through all my patches i made and see which one i like the best, but they’re all fairly similar.

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    I haven’t tried this but: Isn’t Braids ported to miRack? Put it in meta mode, send random cv into the FM hole to get a different sound on each hit. Run the output into a percussive envelope. This works great in hardware; ymmv in miRack though.

braids is in mirack! i didn’t realize it had a mode like that, wow actually that might work well, i’ll have to mess around with it some more though and see what i can do! thank you!

• @itsaghost you can also use Plaits (macro oscillator 2) and send CV to the model input

• hey @auxmux here's a slightly better version of the patch! it's definitely not perfect but it's fun to record some samples.

https://patchstorage.com/random-percussion-sound-generator/

@NoiseFloored said:
    @itsaghost you can also use Plaits (macro oscillator 2) and send CV to the model input

and thanks! i'll try that out as well!

• Awesome! Thanks @itsaghost Looking forward to give this a go!

• @auxmux said:
    Awesome! Thanks @itsaghost Looking forward to give this a go!

awesome! lemme know whatchya think!

also im working on the macro oscillator 2 + modal synthesizer patch right now and thats working exactly how i wanted it to! i’ll post the patch a little later when i flesh it out a little more

• edited June 2020

@itsaghost said:

@auxmux said:

thank you! it’s not perfect whatsoever but you can get some pretty interesting sounds with it. i’ll get it up on patch storage in a bit! i gotta go through all my patches i made and see which one i like the best, but they’re all fairly similar.

braids is in mirack! i didn’t realize it had a mode like that, wow actually that might work well, i’ll have to mess around with it some more though and see what i can do! thank you!

As simple as it looks, plonk is quite a deep module that does physical drum modeling with selected features from the great AAS Chromaphone desktop plugin.
    Here's a demo of its models:

If you want similar sounds, check out the modules that give you physical modeling building blocks from Audible Instruments.
    I've been messing around with that kinda stuff in modular synths for a while and I had the best results with Drambo so far. It has modules that originally were only available in Impaktor plus a few new models unique to Drambo.
    Maybe it's the simplicity, maybe it's the modules, I just get the sounds in my head realized faster in Drambo than in any other modular environment.
    The only model missing is a string model but that's irrelevant for drums.

• @rs2000 said:

@itsaghost said:

@auxmux said:

As simple as it looks, plonk is quite a deep module that does physical drum modeling with selected features from the great AAS Chromaphone desktop plugin.

If you want similar sounds, check out the modules that give you physical modeling building blocks from Audible Instruments.
    I've been messing around with that kinda stuff in modular synths for a while and I had the best results with Drambo so far. It has modules that originally were only available in Impaktor plus a few new models unique to Drambo.
    Maybe it's the simplicity, maybe it's the modules, I just get the sounds in my head realized faster in Drambo than in any other modular environment.

what modules in drambo would you recommend to use? im still fairly new and inexperienced when it comes to complicated things in drambo. ive also never used impaktor although it’s been tempting recently. just gotta cool down on buying apps for a while.

i’d LOVE to try to make an impaktor type patch in mirack, i messed around with it a little bit before now but i think i might be able to put something together

• @itsaghost said:

@rs2000 said:

@itsaghost said:

@auxmux said:

what modules in drambo would you recommend to use? im still fairly new and inexperienced when it comes to complicated things in drambo. ive also never used impaktor although it’s been tempting recently. just gotta cool down on buying apps for a while.

Category Generator:
    AN Kick and Impulse for creating excitation impulses

Category Processor:
    Comb Filter
    Modal Resonator
    Waveguide

Category Modulator:
    Graphic Env for creating custom excitation impulses

It pays to read a few online articles about physical modeling to get an idea about where to start and what modules to use for certain instrument types.

• @rs2000 said:

@itsaghost said:

@rs2000 said:

@itsaghost said:

@auxmux said:

Category Generator:

Category Processor:
    Comb Filter
    Modal Resonator
    Waveguide

Category Modulator:

It pays to read a few online articles about physical modeling to get an idea about where to start and what modules to use for certain instrument types.

i set up a basic patch that’s using the modules you said and got something going!

not sure if im using everything correctly, but i am getting some random percussion sounds going.

is there a way to rotate through different instances of the modal resonator? so say for one note, the sound goes through the memb 1 model, then the next note, it bypasses the memb 1 and instead goes another instance with the metal 1 model? im still fairly new to drambo but im having a lot of fun with this patch so far. im just not to the level of accomplishing everything i can think quite yet

• edited June 2020

@itsaghost said:

@rs2000 said:

@itsaghost said:

@rs2000 said:

@itsaghost said:

@auxmux said:

Category Generator:

Category Processor:
    Comb Filter
    Modal Resonator
    Waveguide

Category Modulator:

i set up a basic patch that’s using the modules you said and got something going!

not sure if im using everything correctly, but i am getting some random percussion sounds going.

is there a way to rotate through different instances of the modal resonator? so say for one note, the sound goes through the memb 1 model, then the next note, it bypasses the memb 1 and instead goes another instance with the metal 1 model? im still fairly new to drambo but im having a lot of fun with this patch so far. im just not to the level of accomplishing everything i can think quite yet

Sure!
    While holding the sequencer step at which you like to change the resonator model, just select the model you want. Tap+hold the next step and choose a different model.

Yours is actually quite a cool idea, love it! 😎👏

BTW, you'd usually put the excitation generator first, then the processing/modeling modules. In your patch, the Graphic Env has no effect because it doesn't modulate anything and the track's audio out is most likely connected to Comb Filter 2, right?

Other than that, you seem to know what you're doing 👍🏼

• edited June 2020

I've just uploaded a demo of what I said:
    https://patchstorage.com/sequenced-physical-models/

Feel free to register at patchstorage.com and upload your fun creations under
    https://patchstorage.com/platform/drambo/
    so others can share the fun with you.

• edited June 2020

This is a cool project!

If you want to send your kick/impulse alternately to 2 different resonators you can create a switch with a 2 step sequence and 2 x-faders. route the impulse to each of the x-faders, and set the modulation so that when one is high (outputting) then the other is low (silent). See the pic for details.

To expand your idea, with a 2nd instance of drambo, you can convert a s&h LFO to midi CC, and route that to instance 1 which has your randomizer. Midi learn the 'model' parameter to the CC, which can then be randomized. You can even have instance 1 triggering events instance 2 which get converted to CC and sent to instance 1. Crazy possibilities. I can't wait for midi loopback to get implemented. I'll make a video of the CC random modal select idea in the morning.

I made a little jam using your idea as inspiration. Got 2 s&h lfos modulating thepitch of each resonator. Resonators alternating depending on the CV sequence which is acting as a switch. So there are similar, but different sounds on each step.

@itsaghost said:

@rs2000 said:

@itsaghost said:

@rs2000 said:

@itsaghost said:

@auxmux said:

Category Generator:

Category Processor:
    Comb Filter
    Modal Resonator
    Waveguide

Category Modulator:

• @rs2000 said:

checking out the patch now! okay yeah i see what you’re talking about with the graphic env. i had it towards the beginning but totally forgot to hook it up to something. then i thought it was supposed to act as an adsr of sorts lol.
    is the random perc track just playing random percussion in the sample folder? that might be cool to mess with, like adding some random processors and sorts.

this is a cool patch tho, it definitely gave me a few more ideas! thanks! i’ll post mine when im done with it. might go back through and rethink a few things though

• @aleyas said:
    This is a cool project!

If you want to send your kick/impulse alternately to 2 different resonators you can create a switch with a 2 step sequence and 2 x-faders. route the impulse to each of the x-faders, and set the modulation so that when one is high (outputting) then the other is low (silent). See the pic for details.

To expand your idea, with a 2nd instance of drambo, you can convert a s&h LFO to midi CC, and route that to instance 1 which has your randomizer. Midi learn the 'model' parameter to the CC, which can then be randomized. You can even have instance 1 triggering events instance 2 which get converted to CC and sent to instance 1. Crazy possibilities. I can't wait for midi loopback to get implemented. I'll make a video of the CC random modal select idea in the morning.

I made a little jam using your idea as inspiration. Got 2 s&h lfos modulating thepitch of each resonator. Resonators alternating depending on the CV sequence which is acting as a switch. So there are similar, but different sounds on each step.

@itsaghost said:

@rs2000 said:

@itsaghost said:

@rs2000 said:

@itsaghost said:

@auxmux said:

Category Generator:

Category Processor:
    Comb Filter
    Modal Resonator
    Waveguide

Category Modulator:

ohh yes thats awesome! i'll definitely try that out tonight and see what i can do with it. the track is very cool. i LOVE semi controlled randomness, which i do in mirack a lot. but drambo has a lot of possibilities too, which i never really could figure out until today lol.

• @itsaghost said:

@rs2000 said:

checking out the patch now! okay yeah i see what you’re talking about with the graphic env. i had it towards the beginning but totally forgot to hook it up to something. then i thought it was supposed to act as an adsr of sorts lol.
    is the random perc track just playing random percussion in the sample folder? that might be cool to mess with, like adding some random processors and sorts.

Yes, 12 perc samples loaded in Sampler to one key each and triggered with random pitch so samples are chosen at random.

this is a cool patch tho, it definitely gave me a few more ideas! thanks! i’ll post mine when im done with it. might go back through and rethink a few things though

Cool, that's the idea 😇

• Thought you might find this interesting. Using two instances of Drambo you can make full parameter automation/randomization via midi control.

In a 2nd instance I've got 4 random number generators sending CC to the MODAL SELECT, BASE, DECAY, and MATERIAL parameters of the Modal Resonator in instance #1. I've done that for two resonator modules (8 CCs)
    The random number generators are receiving midi>gate from instance #1. This allows instance #2 to quietly sit behind the scenes and work its magic, allowing you to focus on sequencing or recording the randomized hits.
    Some of the generated sounds can be distorted or quiet, so you can scale the midi by double clicking the learned parameter. For example if you don't want to generate sounds with less than 5ms decay

Here's an example + jam :)

• edited July 2020

I’ve been resisting the urge to buy mirack for so long, not that it doesn’t sound and look super fun, but because I suspect it would be yet another app I wouldn’t have time to learn, but this post may be the one that sells me on it. I’m not even close to exploring drambo in depth, so I’m really fighting myself to avoid pressing the damn buy button

• @pedro Depends... If you like to use only a few more complex modules and don't have the time to learn about modular principles then miRack could suit you better.
    For me, Drambo excels at realizing even the weirdest ideas quickly but I've been working with modulars for years.

• Here's another one that may be of interest.
    Every parameter of the Modal Synthesizer in miRack is mapped to CC (except space, course, and fine).
    A random number generator in Drambo is converted to CC and routed to miRack, for each parameter (14 generators). Every new gate completely randomizes the modal synth. Melodic passages can also be played which can be unpredictable, but beautiful. It could be improved by sending random envelopes to the modulation inputs on the modal synth. That would require a lot of envelopes though! As it is now there's no amp or pitch envelope. Adding those would probably make the generated sounds more percussive.

• @aleyas thats an awesome patch, definitely something i’ll have to try! just been working in standalone but it looks like there’s a lot more randomization you can do with two instances of it. thank you!

@pedro actually as soon as i came across mirack on the app store, i immediately bought it. it was actually one of the first music apps i bought on my ipad. im a sucker for building and sculpting things with small building blocks, and mirack was exactly right down my alley.

i havent had any previous experience with modular prior to mirack, but now im absolutely obsessed with it. it takes a little to learn, and even after you learn the basics, there’s always more to learn and figure out. electronisounds audio has tutorials that covers all the basics though. after watching all of his tutorials, mirack really clicked for me. mirack is a great learning tool to learn more about synthesis too! sure its a bit more complicated than drambo for some, but for me, seeing the wires and making connections between the modules helped me understand a lot more.

even if you dont want to build a giant patches, you can still use a few modules as auv3 effects.

it’s definitely not for everybody, but if you sit down and learn the basics, it’s absolutely full of endless possibilities. same could be said about drambo. both are very powerful tools that can be used however you need them to be used.

mirack is hands down my favorite app though. it is perfect for my way of learning and understanding. drambo was a little more difficult to get the hang of, and im still not 100% there, but doing projects with a goal in mind helps a lot.

• @aleyas said:
    Here's another one that may be of interest.
    Every parameter of the Modal Synthesizer in miRack is mapped to CC (except space, course, and fine).
    A random number generator in Drambo is converted to CC and routed to miRack, for each parameter (14 generators). Every new gate completely randomizes the modal synth. Melodic passages can also be played which can be unpredictable, but beautiful. It could be improved by sending random envelopes to the modulation inputs on the modal synth. That would require a lot of envelopes though! As it is now there's no amp or pitch envelope. Adding those would probably make the generated sounds more percussive.

wow i love that. midi in aum between apps still confuses me a little bit, but this is a good opportunity to learn more and try to use those apps to their full potential. thanks so much for sharing you’re ideas! i’m definitely excited to try to dig into this more during my lunch break!

• This guy is quite cool at randomising for sampling. I’ve used it quite a bit before Drambo arrived.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/toytone/id1016447265

• Posting this here just in case anyone is interested, but I made a V2 of a random percussion generator in Drambo today. I think this one is a lot simpler and more straightforward to use.

Here's the link if anyone wants to download it: https://patchstorage.com/random-percussion-generator-v2/

And here's the description I typed up for it:

"So this is V2 of my random percussion generator. I used an Auv3 of Drambo inside it so it can only be used in standalone, but that simplified my old version quite a bit by only using on modal resonator, and randomly CC modulating the normally unmodulatable parameters in the module. Whew, that’s a mouthful.

Each keypress randomizes a lot of parameters such as modal resonator type, pitch and tone, shaper type, filter type, reverb mix, size and decay, comb filter cutoff, and more.

There are 4 effects that are also randomly modulated (but can also be turned off altogether). Those are the filter, shaper, comb filter, and reverb. When each of those effects are on, there is still a clean passthrough possibility.

A way to use this in an Auv3 (besides using it in a standalone track) would be to use a sampler module, and go all the way through the keyboard, recording each key press to the each note, then randomly playing those back in an Auv3 Drambo instance.

There is also a compressor before the effects and a master amp module to roughly set the volume.

Thanks for checking it out if you do!"

• edited December 2020

@itsaghost said:
    Posting this here just in case anyone is interested, but I made a V2 of a random percussion generator in Drambo today. I think this one is a lot simpler and more straightforward to use.

Here's the link if anyone wants to download it: https://patchstorage.com/random-percussion-generator-v2/

And here's the description I typed up for it:

"So this is V2 of my random percussion generator. I used an Auv3 of Drambo inside it so it can only be used in standalone, but that simplified my old version quite a bit by only using on modal resonator, and randomly CC modulating the normally unmodulatable parameters in the module. Whew, that’s a mouthful.

Each keypress randomizes a lot of parameters such as modal resonator type, pitch and tone, shaper type, filter type, reverb mix, size and decay, comb filter cutoff, and more.

There are 4 effects that are also randomly modulated (but can also be turned off altogether). Those are the filter, shaper, comb filter, and reverb. When each of those effects are on, there is still a clean passthrough possibility.

A way to use this in an Auv3 (besides using it in a standalone track) would be to use a sampler module, and go all the way through the keyboard, recording each key press to the each note, then randomly playing those back in an Auv3 Drambo instance.

There is also a compressor before the effects and a master amp module to roughly set the volume.

Thanks for checking it out if you do!"

Great ! Thanks for sharing. It works great when used in standalone Drambo, but when used inside AUM, it only “clicks”

• Dude, that random percussive synth you made is ace! Thanks man its like I just got a new drum machine. I am really slow at learning this app so I like to dl from patchstorage and sorta try to reverse engineer them. Wow

• @oceansinspace said:
    Dude, that random percussive synth you made is ace! Thanks man its like I just got a new drum machine. I am really slow at learning this app so I like to dl from patchstorage and sorta try to reverse engineer them. Wow

I’m glad you like it! I made an Auv3 version by using the method I stated in the description. I was trying to upload as well but it wouldn’t let me for some reason. I’ll try again in a little bit though! And you can turn that one into a semi-random perc gen, or still a similar perc gen to the first one.