Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 2 routing conundrum - recording from MIDI track 1 into audio track 2

hi all, requesting help from the hive!

I am running Cubasis 2, and on the side ready to go I have AUM, Ape Matrix, Audiobus and Audioshare.

I would like to play track 1 (Ruismaker Noir, playing a triggered loop, with me playing the controls live), and audio record it onto track 2, WHILE hearing it and all the other tracks.

Freezing the track is not an option because there's no actual midi on the track. Ruismaker is hosted by Cubasis and is triggering a loop.

Any ideas for routing all of this?

thanks

Comments

• While Cubasis (Both 2 & 3) lacks features when it comes to Midi & Audio Routing 'Freeze' can still be used with some planning.

• Create an empty midi-region that covers the length of the song (Cubasis needs a region for 'Freeze' to work, it can be empty).
    • Enable W (Automation Writing) and perform the tweaking of the controls, all AU parameter tweaks are written
    • Freeze the track and copy it to a new AudioTrack

I know it's not the solution that you're looking for but until @LFS and his team considers and/or evaluates the cost of implementation of a proper Audio & Midi routing features it's currently one solution.

Another option is to use AudioBus but as long as we keep on finding work-arounds there is no real pressure in the Cubasis developers to focus energy on Audio & Midi routing...

AUM & apeMatrix style audio & midi routing would be super handy in Cubasis but I think it'll take another year or more before Cubasis matures in this area... (I'd love to be proven wrong here though).

• Thanks Samu. I think I know what you're meaning here. So instead of recording midi notes, I record automation instead. And then Cubasis 'freezes' the automation?

What about if I'm running something like a Drambo loop with Drambo playing 5 tracks of drum samples, all tweaking while they go? You can see the problem I have.

No ideas for routing out of Cubasis, via other apps, and then back into Cubasis on another track?

• @jameslondon74 said:
    Thanks Samu. I think I know what you're meaning here. So instead of recording midi notes, I record automation instead. And then Cubasis 'freezes' the automation?

Yepp, the automation is used when freezing a track.
    The empty midi region needed for freeze to work. If there's nothing on the track freeze is disabled.

What about if I'm running something like a Drambo loop with Drambo playing 5 tracks of drum samples, all tweaking while they go? You can see the problem I have.

One solution here would be to add the tweaks as P-Locks to the patterns in Drambo.
    I did a lot of Freeze testing with Drambo during its beta phase.

Another option is to host Drambo in AudioBus and put Cubasis in the output slot of AudioBus and record the Audio.

But I get the problem and until @LFS and his team consider the implementation of advanced Audio & Midi routing it will be a real pita...(pita = pain in the a**).

No ideas for routing out of Cubasis, via other apps, and then back into Cubasis on another track?

That should work using AudioBus...

• That's a great idea - so forget about laying my track app in Cubasis, and just host Ruismaker or Drambo in, say, AUM or Audiobus, and pump the output of AUM into Cubasis? What about sync?

• @jameslondon74 said:
    That's a great idea - so forget about laying my track app in Cubasis, and just host Ruismaker or Drambo in, say, AUM or Audiobus, and pump the output of AUM into Cubasis? What about sync?

One way here would be to record the all the AUM channels to a separate files and then import the audio-files to Cubasis just for mixing. So perform & record in AUM and mix in Cubasis and you should have no problems with sync.

• But how will I know how to line up the audio file correctly? I'd prefer to run everything together. I think I have a lot to try here, thanks man.

• Stuff like this is so straightforward in Ableton Live that you don't even know there could be an issue... until you switch to iOS ๐Ÿ˜

• @jameslondon74 said:
    But how will I know how to line up the audio file correctly? I'd prefer to run everything together. I think I have a lot to try here, thanks man.

All recorded audio files have same length so it's pretty easy to align them :)

• @rs2000 said:
    Stuff like this is so straightforward in Ableton Live that you don't even know there could be an issue... until you switch to iOS ๐Ÿ˜

It starts to feel like a conspiracy that the big-name developers do not want to cannibalize their desktop software...
    ...and intentionally cripple the iOS versions of the DAWs forcing users back to the desktop with higher profits :D

• Freeze with recorded automation worked perfectly.

I tried hosting Drambo in a different app, but I couldn't work out how to sync that app with Cubasis. I tried it with Audiobus and AUM.

• wimwim
    edited June 2020

Nice workaround @Samu.

I thought hosting Drambo in AB3 would work out since AB3 can tempo sync both from Cubasis 2 clock. But it seems that Cubasis 2 doesn't send clock start/stop? I could start everything with AB3's global start, but that doesn't start recording in Cubasis, and starting from Cubasis by pressing record doesn't start AB3/Drambo. Frustrating.

Your workaround is pretty darn simple to do ... though it isn't an obvious thing to think of to try. B)

(One could use the AB3 setup and just flip over to Cubasis to press record mid-stream. But then the audio would need to be trimmed and moved in most cases.)

• I'm feeling a bit dumb here - which apps can host Cubasis and trigger Cubasis to play/rec/stop?

• Or rather, can Cubasis 2 even trigger play/stop in any other app? I canโ€™t seem to get it working.

I just want to run Drambo alongside Cubasis and record Drambo on one of the Cubasis audio tracks. Any ideas?