Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioLayer - moving the instrument library from iCloud to local?

Hello!

I am attempting to move my AudioLayer instrument/sample library from iCloud to the local AudioLayer folder

I moved my files from the iCloud AudioLayer folder to the local AudioLayer folder, however even when I switch off 'iCloud Storage' in AudioLayer, I cannot access my instruments from within AudioLayer

How do I correctly move my instruments/samples and get them to register within AudioLayer?

Comments

• Hi,

there are two possible ways to copy AudioLayer instruments/samples from the iCloud folder to the local folder ( which must be invisible in the Files App in accordance to Apple rules ):

With the iCloud storage option set load the instrument you want to make a local copy and tap on save. In the save dialog switch on “Make a local copy…”.
    This has to be done of course for every instrument you want to be there.

If you want to copy all instrument/samples or from a specific folder you can use the share function:
    Tap on the share button and select “Create Zip for Instrument+Sample Folder ‘/‘” to get a compressed file with all instruments and samples. Then enable the local storage option in AudioLayer and import this zip file with AudioLayer via “Open in…”.

Hope this helps

Harry

• edited June 2020

@VirSyn Thanks for these instructions.

edit: This isn't working for me, I have over 25GB of files in the instruments+Samples folder, when I try to export I get a file about the size 2GB, I transfer to desktop to check and it's only got a small portion of the files. this is why we need full access to the folders in Files app....I'm trying to do this again, but the zip file doesn't appear in the exported objects.

Is there any way to do this by copying folders? (I've tried a few times now but it never manages to create a correct zip file).

Why is this?: "must be invisible in the Files App in accordance to Apple rules". We want them to be visible, it's so much easier to organise if we can see files. What are the rules and how do other apps get away with it? I know it's Apples fault

• edited June 2020

@Carnbot said:

I've tried a few times now but it never manages to create a correct zip file

I think this is a limitation of the device internal memory. 25 GB is huge for on iOS device archive management.
    Normally this compression is done „in memory“ before the compressed file is written to disk/storage - and i don’t think that the iPad has that huge available (memory) space :wink:

If you want to do this „on device“ i guess you need several steps/chunks...

• @MrBlaschke said:

@Carnbot said:

I've tried a few times now but it never manages to create a correct zip file

I think this is a limitation of the device internal memory. 25 GB is huge for on iOS device archive management.
    Normally this compression is done „in memory“ before the compressed file is written to disk/storage - and i don’t think that the iPad has that huge available (memory) space :wink:

If you want to do this „on device“ i guess you need several steps/chunks...

Yeah it must be a limitation of the file system.
    iOS is still a disaster for file management. I've been backing up the files folder by folder to external drive but it gets confused and you have to recheck everything and gets stuck. This is why ipad pro adverts feature 10 year old children and not professionals. :#

• @VirSyn Nice to see you still check out the forum. Your apps always find their way into my tracks. Looking forward to what you’re working on next. 👍

• edited October 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Files App is a hard joke.

• @BCKeys said:
    Hi Harry, @VirSyn

I also have a kind of problem/question with iCloud to ask you:

Still because of Apple rules, 😞

I have to reset iCloud quite often because I work a lot with iCloud/iCloud drive for backup. The big problem with iCloud is that it generates a cache of files opened on iCloud locally. According to Apple, this is convenient to access recently opened files on iCloud faster.

The only way to delete this cache is to do an iCloud reset, it’s very fast and easy BUT the samples used by AudioLayer are also contained in this cache. So I have to re-download everything manually and it's very long because I have to do them one by one, preset after preset.

For example, today I have about 63GB of cache, but I know that my database for AudioLayer is around 17GB. 17GB needs a few minutes with optic fiber, but preset by preset, it takes hours literally 😩😅

Would it be possible to add a function that allows to reload the data from iCloud by complete folder?

Or simply, is there a trick I missed?

By its nature iCloud Drive (the OS) caches files locally when they are used and clears the local cache of files not in use when the local file system needs space. Apps have no control over that. If you always want them available, you need to switch to the local option. You could in Files app, force local download of all the files before launching AudioLayer.

Btw, @virsyn is a pretty infrequent visitor.

• edited October 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.